Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sir, Sir....Am I an Intermidiot yet???

Poster: A snowHead
Megamum, far be it for me to risk upsetting the DB internet police by expressing an opinion but IMV a too-stiff ski will hold you back for a very long time, you will not adapt to it.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
snowHeads can be amazingly kind and helpful. Recently another one made it his mission to find the skis he knew I wanted, and duly did, on a French website, as there was not a pair to be had in the UK. Really, really kind. Smile
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
FC have you tried a wanted advert on here, I reckon a few folk will have some B2s hanging around, they were a very popular ski
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Or just wait for summer snowHead
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Raceplate wrote:
Megamum, far be it for me to risk upsetting the DB internet police by expressing an opinion but IMV a too-stiff ski will hold you back for a very long time, you will not adapt to it.

I'd tend to agree if it was the only pair of skis he used but at sometime he will have to take the stabilisers off. Maybe the magnums can get the message through to him the hard way where others (us two included) have tried in vain.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
DB,
Quote:
I'd tend to agree if it was the only pair of skis he used

Since when did fC have a quiver? They are his only pair of skis.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Raceplate wrote:
DB,
Quote:
I'd tend to agree if it was the only pair of skis he used

Since when did fC have a quiver? They are his only pair of skis.

Watch this space Toofy Grin
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Agree with Raceplate about a too stiff ski holding back development in my experience as I made the same mistake and a more forgiving ski gave me the confidence to make changes. Ideally I think they should just be at your boundary so my skis are great when I'm on my game but tell me when I'm not performing. The magnums are an instructor classic though. I think the head descriptions are a bit flattering but I would have thought more like the Headrev 75 for FC.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I was skiing off piste in a group a few years back (Wengen, probably Snowheads but I can't remember). One chap had some B2s, one of which snapped just behind the binding...he had a bit of a walk back to a lift.
I have no idea if the ski was already damaged, but the breakage incident happened just in front of me and he wasn't abusing them, just some firm uneven snow.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
From the last page...

franzClammer wrote:
Here's a little more misfortune.....Teenage Snowboarders..Evil or Very Mad ...All part of the Half Term fun aye. rolling eyes

Interesting how no-one has commented on this here (I know there was some mention of your injury on another thread).

I have been trying to think how to make a positive learning thing out of this. From what I can see on the video, I don't think the snowboarder did anything particularly wrong. I also don't think FC did wrong either, except perhaps not checking if the boarder was OK. It seems to be one of those things that happen from time to time - I have had my share of near misses where another skier appears in my peripheral vision - me on my left turn - they on their right (or vice versa). Nothing has happened except the sudden tightening of turn by both skiers.

The video only shows a narrow view of what happened, and I don't know if FC had seen the boarder approach. but there is a speed control fence and effectively FC pinches the boarder between the fence and his line. I always get nervous around narrowing pistes and fences etc - they are usually there for a reason. In this case FC seems to have left plenty of room for a boarder, but obviously not for this boarder.

Also - perhaps separate the camdroid's part (90%) out into a separate vid so we can admire how he sticks to your ski tails without being on the edge of our seat waiting for the 'incident' Smile
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Having looked at it again, it is clear that the boarder had his back to the direction that FC was approaching at speed. FC extended his left turn a bit to make room (so FC had seen the boarder!).

There is miles of piste available to skiers left to make the gap bigger.

I bet the teenage boarder was cursing middle ages skiers who take you out from behind just when he was safely navigating the piste Sad
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Yes, quite difficult to work out what happened there, with the boarder. Presumably FC wasn't skiing backwards, filming the Droid? FC was on the boarder's blindside - and it looks in the vid as though FC was travelling down the hill faster than the boarder, though that might not be the case.

What do you think happened, FC? What was the Droid's verdict?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
And how's the injury coming along?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
franzClammer, I've read allot of your thread and enjoyed watching your progress and as a relative newbie just wanted to say hi and thanks for your posts!

I came to skiing later in life but I'm a bit younger than you, I've done 10 weeks now abroad-have you done a similar amount there or there abouts? Unlike you I've no desire to become an instructor, but I do want to become a better skier so I can enjoy more of the mountain. I did a Snoworks course recently and see that you mention looking at their courses a few pages back. I'm sure they'll offer something that will be more technique focused but there All Terrain course is about teaching you to get around rather than demonstrate technique-which I guess instructing/passing the exams is more about?

What's your motivation for wanting to go down the instructor route? Do you want to teach one day casually/full time/part time or is it just for the kudos?

I also have some Magnums, I love them but I'm a big unit so seem to get away with having a stiffer ski.

Anyhow keep it up, I'll keep tunning in for updates snowHead
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
franzClammer wrote:
andyrew, The Magnums weren't the problem, My lack of skill & experience was/is.
I was sure that I'd seen them recommended for BASI L1 candidates, even had a discount attached for those on the L1 course or a fast track course.
Im sure it was via IOS
Or was I tripping Puzzled

I very much hesitate to suggest something I havent yet tested myself, but I'm terrified someone is going to talk you out of these skis..
You may have seen another thread talking about binding position (sadly now degenerated into bickering) but my own interest in this was fueled when someone posted here: http://www.epicski.com/t/92726/head-supershape-titan about their experience with Head Titans (I believe a similar ski) where a small change in binding position made a dramatic difference to their experience (post by Double Diamond 3/4/11 at 4:00am ). I believe your bindings will offer you the possibility of trying this. This may be worth a try before you put the skis away or even worse sell them for a song.
snow report
Harking back to the B2s. I delaminated mine just behind the binding after about 8 weeks of skiing. I started with them on my 5th day of sking and IMHO they were a great learner ski but then held me back a bit as they developed a rather noodley aspect. I did give them a rough ride though.
snow conditions
Wow. Loads of activity. I was beginning to think this thread had entered the Twighlight Zone Very Happy
I've been at Hemel all day using Rev80s
I'll have read through n respond in a mo
snow report
pam w wrote:

What do you think happened, FC? What was the Droid's verdict?

All I know is what you see in the footage.
It was a complete surprise to me. Disclaimer:I was on a lesson being first in the group lead by the Instructor, who obviously chose the line and set the pace.
I did check he was ok after the cam was off. I also found him in the lift queue and apologised for swearing & let him off the hook. I sat next to him on the chairlift lol poor kid, was only about 15
I think it's quite clear that it was wide, good vis and I was going at a pretty constant speed, skiing predictably.
He just came into me on his blindside. He was obviously going a little faster than me, as you can see he descends into the back of my skis. Anyway no big deal. We were both lucky.
Pedantica: injury. Thanks for asking. I've had 3x sports injury massage appts & intensive Arnica applications, & some strapping.
It's healing, but couldn't move it after the drive back from France. Cest la vi
Smile

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sun 9-03-14 11:10; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Bene, thank you very very much for the feedback. I was beginning to wonder if it was only the critics that had a voice on Snowheads
So well done for commenting 👍. Hope there's been some useful stuff amongst all this waffle Very Happy
I've actually booked onto a Snoworks Safari Course starting next Mon in 3Vs Vanoise
I need more general experience & also have the chance to focus on my piste technique.
I feel that my CT demos are ok, to plough-parallel at least. But I need much more experience to develop consistent technique.
Snoworks seems to tick all the boxes. I'm trying to wrangle staying down for a 2nd consecutive week in Tignes Toofy Grin
I should be skiing parallel by then rolling eyes Laughing

I do intend eventually to pursue teaching as a winter career option in Europe if I ever get to L2
Meanwhile I will look to work part time with my L1 wherever I can. When I eventually get it that is rolling eyes
I don't feel that I'm badge chasing, my keenness to achieve L1 is because I just want to get on and start actually delivering lessons/shadowing in order to be immersed in the environment & build experience & knowledge. I've run out of family silver to pawn Sad and I'm diverting my BASI L1 fees to do the Snoworks course & gain more piste time.)

andyrew, I'm keeping the Magnums and will try em out on piste in resort next week just for a bit of an experiment.
I'll probly be in rentals for the safari.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sun 9-03-14 13:36; edited 4 times in total
latest report
franzClammer, Decathlon have some Head Revs on half price in end of season sale, not sure what model, but might be worth a look for the price. If you get them at a good price then there's minimal loss when you sell them on, this could well be cheaper than renting for you and you'd have the benefit of ski continuity rather than a different pair every time you go.
ski holidays
sarah, worth looking at, Thanks Smile
snow report
Shocked OMG!!
Is This what 42deg looks like. Shocked
I knew I should've gone to that trigonometry class Confused

http://youtube.com/v/DgF2HlbrGaY
snow report
! OMG indeed !

Looks like a nice place to ski. But... here I go again... why did both these expert skiers drop into this line without safety gear ? Yes, they both had ABS backpacks, but neither had unclipped the protection velcro from their trigger handles (making them almost impossible to grab in an emergency), and both had failed to use the leg loop that prevents the wearer from dropping out of the bottom of the pack.

Perhaps they knew that the avi risk was low (but it is only ever zero when there is no snow) and a north facing 40 deg. high altitude couloir that isn't skied enough to consolitate it has several warning flags. It seems daft to buy and carry the gear, then fail two simple steps to have it ready. Dumb.

Also keep in mind that this is effectively an advertising video by people who are supposed to be thorough, expert, safe.
latest report
lampbus wrote:
Also keep in mind that this is effectively an advertising video by people who are supposed to be thorough, expert, safe.

Don't say that, I'm skiing with em next week! Laughing
ski holidays

I've found this quite useful
Useful cheap balance aid, handy whilst watching telly or doing the ironing
ski holidays
you're meant to take shoes off !
ski holidays
Nevica45 wrote:
you're meant to take shoes off !

Was gonna try it in my ski boots NehNeh
snow report
franzClammer, I just looked through some more of their vids (thanks for the pointer Smile ) and it seems they are all duff failure idiots. Mr Smith himself clearly in error, plus a whole bunch of his instructors in steep off piste skiing and hiking (yes skinning and bootpacking is as risky, or moreso, than skiing down) ....ALL without exception have ABS backpacks...with the triggers and leg loops disabled !

see :
http://youtube.com/v/AFDxHtzMvZM&list=UUpIb-1uCsX9SEZrnfQ1Ea4Q

In this vid, several of the group are seen on the top of the line having hiked up...without the ABS trigger handles even fitted. They must have then fitted them for the descent, but kept the velcro cover in place. I have checked the ABS manual and it clearly states that the velcro cover must be lifted and tucked away or the pack will not trigger. Madness !

(I saw one chap correctly set up in another vid, but he could have been a client)

THis is not just an isolated 'forgot to deploy for that video'...this is a Snoworks corporate systematic failure....
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Is This what 42deg looks like. Shocked
I knew I should've gone to that trigonometry class Confused

you can get a nice 38degrees (78%) and still be on a piste - Harakiri, Mayrhofen.
latest report
franzClammer, out of interest, do you mind me asking why you have booked that course? I thought you were working more on piste performance skills rather than off piste just now.
snow report
sarah,Not at all.....ask away..... There are a number of logistical reasons, but essentially I feel that my personal skiing enjoyment & satisfaction must come first. I tasted some pow in Tignes in Jan & with Marmalade in 3V's in Feb
I need to build my skill base & general experience. I am beginning to venture off piste and this course is primarily so that I can do that safely and competently.
I have a consecutive 2nd week in Tignes on the back of this course, which will be piste focused.
Seems the Decathlon Rev's sold out, but thanks for the pointer.
Where are you at with your skiing, are you progressive or happy where you're at?
snow conditions
franzClammer, sounds like a plan. I think the course might be challenging, be very interested to hear how you find it. Is the 2nd week more coaching too?

The Decathlon Revs might be sold out online but very often they have stuff in stores which is not online, might be worth a ring round if you are interested, I've had stuff sent from distant branches before.

My skiing...no I'm not happy with where I'm at, so I keep having lessons, lessons, lessons Toofy Grin It's good too as with the same one or two instructors now for the past few weeks. My problems are different to yours though...I need psychological help now not more technique help Embarassed
ski holidays
franzClammer wrote:
... I tasted some pow ...

The understatement of the season Laughing

2 weeks in a row is a great plan. If you give yourself a rest midway and relax into your (new) posture, you'll ace it in week 2.
I'm looking forward to more off-piste mayhem, so keep the cameras rolling. Can we hook up a live feed? Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
sarah, Fret not...we're here to help. franzClammer was a nutter when he first came on here and look what we've turned him into.
So open a new thread, post a few vids of your skiing and we'll sort you out Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
ALQ, Laughing Laughing thanks but I'll decline if it's all the same Laughing Very happy with the live feedback I get rather than virtual feedback on here Laughing And anyway, I just need to apply rule 5 and I'd be away Embarassed
snow report
I left home in Kent at 11am, driving solo, got the 12:20 Eurotunnel and arrived in Meribel at 11:00pm CET Shocked
Forced to snuggle down in my car, with a DVD & a Baileys. I was pleased I brought a sleeping bag.
Had full day skiing Meribel Valley, could do with a good dump, no not me! The 3V's. Everywhere is tracked out & getting quite thin.
Side of piste was solid until appx 2pm when the sun got on it. Then it's a race against time to ski as much as poss at the right altitude before it turns to slush. Not sure how much fun this Vanoise Safari will be. I expect a pist day Monday.
I hope these Snoworks guys know some secret places. Just waiting in the Chalet bar for the briefing to start, but Rugby has delayed matters rolling eyes
question for yas. Is it Algae that makes the old snow look pink?

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Sat 15-03-14 19:07; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
We saw a good bit of pink snow in Valfrejus at half term. Mrs A pondered if it might be saharan dust.
snow report
I reckon it's algae or maybe air pollution ???
I hope it's the algae Confused
ski holidays
It is usually dust from the Sahara !
snow report
altis, Sahara dust does get about a lot.

A few years back I was involved in research going on at the Uni of East Anglia (I supplied equipment) where they would go on a ship into the Atlantic and seed a patch of sea with dust. They then observed seeded and unseeded areas to collect data on plankton in the top few mm of the ocean. Apparently, the minerals make quite a difference, which has quite a large impact on carbon capture (plankton sink to ocean floor) and thus climate. Climate models at the time didn't account for this, as no data existed.

franzClammer, hope you get better snow conditions. (and keep an eye on those Avi Backpack toggles for us (me!) - possibly mention it to them - I would be interested to learn if I have got things wrong)
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy