Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sir, Sir....Am I an Intermidiot yet???

Poster: A snowHead
Good to see the amazing franzclammer does crash was starting to think I was being a wimp on the slopes
Very Happy

Feel so much more confident. Lol
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Megamum wrote:
franzClammer, I think that's best footage posted yet Very Happy , I'm sure the instructors will tell you where you are wrong, but that looks much more controlled - I'd be happy to be on the same piece of piste if you were skiing like that wink Toofy Grin - your body looks nice and springy (which is what I need some of). NB. There is no real need to wave your arms in the air every time you crest a ridge wink IO will help you along, don't forget to post up your training vids Very Happy

I did wonder about the arms in the air at every crest, was going to start copying that, but realised no one else in the slope was doing it, then came to the conclusion going over some crests had a similarity to a crest on a roller coaster

Hands up and wave for the camera Very Happy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ianbradders wrote:
Happychap, Welcome to Snowheads. snowHead

Cheers for the welcome
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Happychap, Heartfelt, glad you have joined up. I see you are late to the white stuff but hooked already.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Try not to get too Green Mr. Green with envy but .... I'm off to Meribel Mottaret on 29th March to see if this lesson malarchy holds up.... wink
8 more glorious days of Euphoria in white, yes I said 8 more days snowHead too YAAAaaaaay!!! I can feel the powdery elixir of youth permeating my chakras already Eh oh!
I so love winter now Madeye-Smiley

I've gotta work around the Sinister Red Cine-Dalek's school hols so EOSB is looking slightly , ever so slightly less feasable at this stage....but watch this space, never say never aye. Happychap might win the Lotto & treat me wink
I know Admin announces when it's full but is there an actual cut off date for the EOSB booking?
I'd so enjoy skiing "near" you guys now I am realising how not to effect insurance premiums & helmet sales whilst on the piste Embarassed lol
Hopefully I wont hold back my Dalek too much this time: post ISO input into my skiing NehNeh

Megamum,
Have my Green Superfeet insoles in & they feel magic
Cheers for the tip

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Tue 19-02-13 19:26; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
franzClammer, just in case you don't realise, the EoSB is adult friendly zone . . . no Daleks
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Masque wrote:
franzClammer, just in case you don't realise, the EoSB is adult friendly zone . . . no Daleks

LOL........Oui Oui Monsewer

My Dalek will be busy at school studying his Latin, Classics, Theology & Philosophy & Rugga at school to earn next seasons trip/s, hence earlier the trip at Easter Hols to Mottaret Cool
We are aiming to watch the British Junior Race Championships in 3v's at begining of April & have chosen Mottaret due to it being a bit higher up the valley than Meribel & La tania etc, so a little more snow-sure, although it looks like it's still dumping looking at the webcams so hopefully there'll still be decent snow
http://www.merinet.com/meribel/webcams.html
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
franzClammer wrote:
My Dalek will be busy at school studying his Latin, Classics, Theology & Philosophy & Rugga at school to earn next seasons trip/s,

Sounds like an Ampleforth lad
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Masque wrote:

Sounds like an Ampleforth lad

Nearly good guess, but no he is a Bluecoat at Christ's Hospital
http://www.christs-hospital.org.uk/
Laughing
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
OK............. Jedi Council assemble
Cool Twisted Evil Toofy Grin Madeye-Smiley Skullie Shocked Shock Confused Pinky Blue Little Angel Going green snowHead too Going green Mr. Green

I'm not quite sure what I was doing before now on the slopes Embarassed But now subsequent to some quality instruction from Scott at Inside Out yesterday at HH
I now feel that I am starting to learn to really SKI
Not just slide around scaring folk n nearly ending my BASI career before it's started wink lol
Anyway Thanks You's lot (cynical smilie) Not only am I addicted to being on the slopes.........Now I have experienced some proper instruction I now have a double headed monster to feed £50 notes....lol
Seriously though...........how stupid is this.........I thought (carving) was only used on big sweeping long turns.
I now am realising that the aim is to turn using the skis shape All the time...............what a lovely feeling using edges in short turns. I actually felt like I was skiing for a few moments yesterday, instead of brutally bullying my skis around the hill. This just gets better n better, n safer n safer snowHead
Here is a very small sample of the day at Hemel with Inside Out, My first ever real ski lesson...I was very challenged !

http://youtube.com/v/GF5NTam2O70&list=UU4coOtm3L-lGemrxPicj-Jw&index=1
http://youtube.com/user/colelynch?feature=mhee

So thats it then, I may really be becoming an Intermidiot now. I will only be ballistic by design from now on, not as my default setting..... snowHead

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Fri 22-02-13 3:22; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHead

quality wipeout at 15s wink

Personally I think you've done it the right way... Start of with some clueless (but fun) instruction-free mayhem - and THEN get some lessons once you've realised (the hard way) that you need them.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
franzClammer, I like this comment:

Quote:

I will only be ballistic by design from now on, not as my default setting.....

I think this says a lot of good about you, it sounds like you have undergone a light-bulb moment. I hope you will continue to be able to feed the ISO £50 end of the animal as I think you will get a lot out of it - I think they do regular monthly clinics which might be a nice thing to do (I wish I could afford to). You have more potential than I do I think - enjoy it. I'm glad you enjoyed your lesson.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
franzClammer, nice work . . . feels different doesn't it? Toofy Grin
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
franzClammer, that short slope discovers a lot of things which can go unnoticed out on a big mountain, doesn't it? Looking good (especially without the poles). wink I wish I lived closer to Hemel.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
For those who think that franzClammer was doing some uncontrolled snowplough turns in the first part of that clip I should probably point out that's a particular drill we use (power ploughs) for developing edging skills (with the bonus of a little jump to test fore/aft balance), and he was doing very well. It then moved in to one-legged power ploughs, which are a bit brutal, and things got a bit pair shaped wink He's one of the most enthusiastic skiers I've ever met!
snow report
Thanks for clarifying that Rob
It's an excellent drill. I felt the real effect of the edge of the skis without any slipping for the first time. Eureka moments.
It was clear that everyone really benefited from this exercise. A nice learning curve
After my tumble we did a similar drill but were hopping on the downhill ski too Shocked well' tried to in my case.

Rob@rar. Thanks for the inspiration. I'm just wondering what clinic I would benefit from most next? Unfortunately I can't make it too Italy with you guys as I'm off to Mottaret end of March but meanwhile ?
Cheers
snow conditions
rob@rar wrote:
He's one of the most enthusiastic skiers I've ever met!

Think we knew that Rob Laughing and enthusiasm goes a long way...

I have to say I think franzClammer is a kindred spirit - a real love of skiing in a pure, child-like way - just for the fun of it.

Sometimes people (blokes mostly perhaps) lose that by obsessing about getting 'technically' good or trying to hard, being competitive and forgetting how to just play and enjoy
latest report
red 27 wrote:

Sometimes people (blokes mostly perhaps) lose that by obsessing about getting 'technically' good or trying to hard, being competitive and forgetting how to just play and enjoy

Trouble is, for some... with the urge to improve & the feeling of improvement...the training becomes as much of a drug as the skiing itself. What to do? Confused
snow conditions
franzClammer wrote:
Rob@rar. Thanks for the inspiration. I'm just wondering what clinic I would benefit from most next? Unfortunately I can't make it too Italy with you guys as I'm off to Mottaret end of March but meanwhile ?
Cheers

Just back from visiting family so will reply to that, via your email, with some thoughts on what your next steps could be. Will have a chat with Scott who saw more of your skiing on Saturday than I did and will get back to you tomorrow.
latest report
gatecrasher, it's an interesting point...

Perhaps have a rule where you just have no more than (say) 2 lessons a year? That allows plenty of time to regress and so allow oneself to experience to joy of (re)learning and (re) progressing again and again.

Age also helps - as I get very old I find a new joy every day in just being able to put on boots / read the piste map / remember my way back to the chalet etc etc - survival and endurance seem to trump improvement and achievement.

when in Les arcs recently I met a yoot - nice kid - who, having done a season and a half, was a great skier but was totally bored with piste skiing and also getting reduced enjoyment from the high-end off piste routes that the area has to offer. I pitied him.

Interim is good, as is idiocracy. Careful what you wish for... wink
snow report
Quote:

a real love of skiing in a pure, child-like way - just for the fun of it.

Whatever it is he has he needs to bottle and sell this ^^^^^ I'd certainly buy some. Maybe when the kids grow up I will be able to go on a ski training course on a real mountain, but I reckon franzClammer, will have left me a long way behind by then. I am just so envious of his natural confidence in his abilities, I really believe it will take him a long way.
snow conditions
red 27 wrote:

Perhaps have a rule where you just have no more than (say) 2 lessons a year? That allows plenty of time to regress and so allow oneself to experience to joy of (re)learning and (re) progressing again and again.

Hmm! That would feel like a major detox. I have with the aid of injury got it from 2-3 sessions, down to only 1 a week now, so I'm definitely getting there! Toofy Grin Laughing
snow report
franzClammer, great to have you along this weekend. Bit busy but you managed to make some good changes and as you mentioned had a few "lightbulb" moments..

My child like love of skiing was slightly dented after getting beat by a 7 year old in a dual slalom that day. Team Inside Out I think was soundly thrashed by the tiddlers from www.Nanostars.co.uk Toofy Grin
snow report
skimottaret
Fantastic session !! Can still feel the effects of the "stork drill?" In me old gluteus maximus. Lol Razz

franzClammer wrote:
Unfortunately I can't make it too Italy with you guys as I'm off to Mottaret end of March but ...

However I am very keen on the idea of the Summer ski trip to Tignes in June
But meanwhile I intend to come along to the Moguls clinic in April, after I enjoy the difference in my skiing in 3v's in March subsequent to your input. I at least feel that I know now ' to a much larger extent' what I should be aiming for in my skiing
Many thanks
ski holidays
Just seen this (haven't logged on for a while). Great to see a new skier filled with so much enthusiasm. Been grinning all evening.
I have only been skiing for the last 5 years (now 44) and have the same passion for the sport as your goodself.

What a change from the first video to the last .... you've started using the skiis rather than your shoulders !!
People say that us with not so much experience have a favourite side to turn to ... on the early videos it looked like you didn't really like turning left.

I take my hat off to you ... great improvement after not much time and wonderful enthusiasm.
I tend to get flustered when in powder ... never normally look at my skiis but when they are buried I start trying to find them rather than trusting my own insticts.

Keep up the good work,
G
snow conditions
gdbn wrote:
Just seen this (haven't logged on for a while). Great to see a new skier filled with so much enthusiasm. Been grinning all evening.
I have only been skiing for the last 5 years (now 44) and have the same passion for the sport as your goodself.
G

Welcome Back Smile & thanks for the comments.

I'm pleased to say I've booked a private lesson for me n the Dalek when we're in the 3V's on April 1st .......no joke!
This coupled with the tips I got from ISO recently "ought" to (never spelt that before? Confused ) help me to ski a bit more like I do in my minds eye...lol

Roll on April Fools Day Mr. Green

Has anyone done anything with Marmalade Puzzled
Cheers

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Wed 20-02-13 1:25; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
franzClammer,
Quote:

Has anyone done anything with Marmalade

I haven't, but I know they come well recommended by Inside Out.
snow report
Pedantica wrote:

I haven't, but I know they come well recommended by Inside Out.

That's good news snowHead
Thanks
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
franzClammer, Del and the boys (and girl) at Marmalade are great. If you get in touch say Rob & Scott from Inside Out recommended them.
ski holidays
Thanks Rob
That's really good to hear. I will let them know.
I'm looking forward to another clinic with you's guys at HH
Cheers
snow conditions
franzClammer, if you say we sent you you may get a wee discount Smile

They are our first alpine partner schools , we can't be everywhere and have a very few select schools we work with have a gander a http://www.skimarmalade.com/blog/inside-out-skiing/
ski holidays
Looking at franz's video; the snow at HH looks a lot better quality than Xscape Castleford or Chill Factor e Manchester. Is that pretty much normal?
snow report
skimottaret wrote:
franzClammer, if you say we sent you you may get a wee discount Smile

They are our first alpine partner schools , we can't be everywhere and have a very few select schools we work with have a gander a http://www.skimarmalade.com/blog/inside-out-skiing/

Hi Scott
Blimey I got real lucky there didn't I ........
I did hesitate when looking to book due to the possible differences in teaching philosophy and style, So thats marvellous news that yous guys training is in the same vein.
What a touch! as we say in saff Lundon Laughing

Look forward to seeing you at HH soon snowHead
snow report
Mosha Marc wrote:
Looking at franz's video; the snow at HH looks a lot better quality than Xscape Castleford or Chill Factor e Manchester. Is that pretty much normal?

Yep pretty much, can only give comparison to mk where the snow gets all pushed to the sides, HH tends to bump up nicely as the day goes on. It does change a bit on days when they have freestyle planned for the evening, so better to check before you go.
latest report
Thanks Franz ...

Where abouts in "sauf" London ... brung up in south or sauf Croydon myself.
Flat in Forest Hill as well at one point ....

G
ski holidays
Bermondsey Twisted Evil
ski holidays
franzClammer wrote:
Bermondsey Twisted Evil

Ahhh...now that would explain why you ski the way to do wink
snow conditions
ALQ wrote:
franzClammer wrote:
Bermondsey Twisted Evil

Ahhh...now that would explain why you ski the way to do wink

Puzzled hmmm could you elaborate a little. I'm always interested in folks perception of my Dickensian (fagins lair) origins NehNeh
I won't be offended wink

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Fri 22-02-13 13:36; edited 1 time in total
latest report
I must say I'm always quite flattered and delighted when SH's take the time to comment on my threads
I am very pleased with my & my Dalek's progress, however upon reflection & in light of the recent instruction from ISO
I have looked at my bad habits & the points in my skiing that need addressing.
It may be that other novice skiers as well as the alumni may read this therefor without too much self deprecation I have compiled a short list of what may be the result of NOT getting instruction early enough.
In my defence we did have a weeks lessons with ESF during our first weeks skiing holiday, but that only served to support the idea that we needn't bother with lessons. No disrespect to ESF I know there are some excellent instructors under their banner. We were just naive re BASI etc and were unlucky.
So without decent instruction very early in skiing these are some of the things that occur

Not using edges to turn
Not using pole plants
Initiating turns with upper body
Leaning head & upper body into turns
Bad posture
Poor balance
Back seated
Lack of timing/rhythm/flow
Failure to control speed
Inability to read terrain
Failure to adapt to different conditions
No knowledge of ski equipment
Misconceptions around terminology
Inaccurate/false perception of ability

Have I forgotten anything wink
snow conditions
franzClammer, at first glance that appears a long list of things to fix, but in reality many of those skills will fall in to place at the same time. In terms of what is missing from that list I would add one thing that I'd really like to sort out: turn shape. Too many Z-shaped turns, not enough rounded s-shaped turns. It's often the consequence of initiating turns with your upper body.

Just one further point - I'm not sure who these ISO chaps are, but I've heard good things about IOS wink
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy