Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Val Thorens - P&V Residence Le Machu Pichu (or is it Les Temples du Soleil) Advice?

Poster: A snowHead
Has anyone recently stayed at the P&V Residence Le Machu Pichu in Val Thorens?
We're looking at an Easter trip staying at these apartments but I've now seen some 'interesting' reports on other report sites.
On the P&V site they sell weeks for the Residence Le Machu Pichu, however, in some other TO sites it appears to be referred to as the Residence Les Temples du Soleil. It's also been suggested that the Machu Pichu building is one that has had a recent upgrade.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 8-03-12 13:05; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
i think the machu pichu is the name of the block in which you stay . its all part of the temple du soliel apartments . think the apartments have been done at least the one we stayed in last year had . hate to think what they were like before Laughing Laughing
typical french apartment blocks really .
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Passed through here a few weeks ago (quickest way into town from where we were staying), having stayed there a few years back. Back then, they were the grimmest accommodation imaginable. Unsure about the upgrade, we saw no change in the corridors, lift or reception, maybe just some rooms. The residences are 10+ floors, with insufficient lifts (even if they all happen to be working - unliklely!). VT seems to be very popular with Scandinavians, especially students, and the communal areas were heavily littered with empty bottles when we were there. Not sure if it is just certain weeks that it's like this.

I'd say probably avoid if you have other options...
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I stayed in this block last year and it was excellent. Very well decorated and equipped apartment. Excellent location for slopes. Simply can not see what the fuss is about the communal areas etc. Didn't notice any litter and the whole place was well staffed. There's a built in ski hire shop, supermarket, restaurant and bar. I've stayed in much worse apartment blocks than this. My advice would be - if the price is right then book it!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for all the info.
We've actually booked now for the P&V Machu Pichu so I hope it's as good as suggested by garethjomo .
I'm trying to ignore the negative trip report web sites, some of which were for the Les Temples du Soleil this year!
It wasn't cheap but discounted from the previously advertised price.
We'll be out there for the easter week, it's going to be our "So there's not going to be a Snowheads Family Bash in 2012' trip! wink
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
FraserP, out of interest how are you getting there? Reason I ask, the only negative thing I'll say about the place is that when we arrived at about 6pm on the saturday night there were huge queues to check in which was a bit of a pain. If we stay there again we would probably try and arrive a bit earlier in the afternoon or leave our check in until later. The reception is 24hr anyway.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
garethjomo, We will be arriving in VT shortly after 09:30 on Saturday 7th March. As we intend to get in a cheeky extra day. As far as we know the check in doesn't open until 17:00. We'll be ready any time but do expect a good amount of hanging about then the fun and games of getting into the apartment via their 'excellent' lifts! , it sounds very similar to the unmanaged mayhem we experienced when we stayed at Les Olympiades a few years ago. Anything less than 5 floors up and we'll hand ball the gear to the rooms. We have passed training in stair climbing in Flachau mid February! wink
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
There were no problems with the lifts when we were there! Were a bit busy at check in time but there quite a few of them. It will be worth e mailing the apartments directly and telling them you will be arriving early. They will probably ensure yours is ready first then. (hopefully anyway)
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
garethjomo, We'll pop in to the complex sometime on the Saturday at least to check out the layout and maybe get an early check-in. I do expect it to be busy at check-in but hopfully the relatively last minute booking will turn out to be good idea. We only decided yesterday to do this. Are you still out there on the Saturday 7th?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hi I work for Pierre & Vacances so I can clarify the situation.

Machu Pichu is indeed 2 renovated blocks of Temples de Soleil complex. They are not flash, just standard french style apartments with a reasonable level of furnishing and functional but efficient facilities. New for this year these blocks are being marketed separately from the Nasco/Cusko blocks which are now the only blocks making up 'Temples de Soleil'. These are the unrenovated apartments and are a lot more basic. Neither are they 'loved' much by the vast majority of their occupants!

The idea being Nasco/Cusco have been made 'exclusive' to Tour Operators of all nationalities, the vast majority being student operators with the aim being to 'contain' the students and separate them from the more discerning individual customers. Some Tour Operators who don't operate student groups have allocation in the Naso/Cusco too because the prices are lower but good advice would be to pay the slightly higher premium and book the Machu Pichu. On some big student weeks groups can spill over into Machu Pichu unfortunately. Student operators are obliged to supply extra security and cleaning services to mitigate the disruption that they can cause! They have been known to cause 'malicious damage' to the lifts and if evidenced early in a week the lifts are sometimes closed as a preventative measure. In fact, mostly the students, although understandably 'high spirited', play by the rules, but there are always a few who ruin the reputation of the majority.

If you are looking for a little more comfort from your apartment in Val Thorens and be guaranteed no student disruption then book the adjacent and 'connected' Tikal apartments which are 4 star standard.

If you arrive early and your apartment is not ready reception operate an SMS service and will text you when it has been cleaned so you can check in earlier. This service is offered in all Pierre & Vacances residences. And yes, contacting them in advance and advising what time you expect to arrive (early or late) is always a good idea.

I hope that helps put your mind at rest and allow others to make a informed choice when looking for self-catering in Val Thorens! Have a lovely holiday.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
frogslegs, Thank you for the informed feedback.

I had a choice of either Temples de Soleil or Machu Pichu at £25 more, hopefully the right choice was made. With this week being part of the Easter break accomodation in most place in VT is not exactly cheap. I had seen Le Tikal but was an additional £370. The Promo price offered on the P&V Machu Pichu closed the deal.

I'll pop into the P&V on the Saturday and request they use the SMS facility for us. Just out of interest, how many apartments are there in the Machu Pichu blocks?

Do you have any info re the car parking? It suggests there is a car park under the residence but with restricted height of 1.8m but you cannot reserve a place? We'll probably use/book one of the Valtho Park areas.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
It's a shame about the car park height - I am 1.46m to the top of the length wise roof bars, but then I reckon another 45cm is needed to cover the half of the bars that are on the box and the box itself - which puts us too big overall. Sad

frogslegs, FWIW I think that posting above is fair and honest and does a credit to both yourself and P&V - thank you very much for the very useful feedback.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I wondered if anyone knew about the bread situation in the Machu Pichu block. Normally we take some part-baked loaves to cook fresh in the morning, but obviously prefer fresh bread if we can easily get it. Does the appt. block get a bread delivery from any of the local companies that we could use or do the shops in the appt block itself do fresh bread in the morning please?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We are currently doing some development work for a new exciting series, where we are hoping to follow young people going on ski holidays together. At this stage I would like talk to groups of friends/individuals who are thinking about going on a ski holiday, or have one booked for this current season.

I’m looking for people that want to get different things out of their holiday; whether they are a novice taking to the slopes for the first time, a pro freestyler or simply going along for the all important Après ski scene! Perhaps yourself or some friends have a ski break planned before the end of the current season?

I would love to talk to you in more detail when it is convenient. You can email me on kate.wincup@bullseye.tv with your details and I'll get back to you! Thanks!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
KateBullseye, Please don't dump irrelevant tosh like this in threads. Start your own!

Back on track.... is there a bakery near the P&V Residence Le Machu Pichu in Val Thorens? Or do they do deliveries to the apartments? The Olympiades and Oxalys both had a bread ordering and delivery service, it just make things so much easier in the mornings.
snow report
FraserP, There is a supermarket in Les Temples de Soleil which sells fresh baguettes in the mornings and also some pain au chocolates etc.

There is also a bakery about a 1-2 minute walk away (turn right when you leave TDS and it's on your right) which obviously has a much bigger selection.
snow conditions
Markus, Thanks for the info.
ski holidays
When I was in this block they did 8am bread delivery to the door, they just knocked and left your delivery in the corridor.
snow report
andytb, Even better. I hope they still do that.
In the Olympiades they visited the apartments on the first night a took your order.
When were you there last?
snow report
Hi Folks, does anyone know please what sort of oven you get in these appartments. Is a proper oven-oven, a microwave oven or a microwave combi oven? Many thanks
ski holidays
Megamum have you checked their website ?
ski holidays
Hells Bells, FraserP, Says he has had a pretty good search and not turned up the answer - apparently it says 'oven' but he reckons he can't see on the various websites where an oven oven would be and now wonders if its some sort of microwave oven - it would be good to know as it helps in knowing what sort of meals to take to cook as its cheaper to take a lot of food with us.
snow conditions
Hells Bells, It's not clear from the website exactly what type of oven, or we would not be asking.
We have experienced many types of 'oven' being provided in apartments, hence the quiestion.

Megamum wrote:
Hi Folks, does anyone know please what sort of oven you get in these appartments. Is a proper oven-oven, a microwave oven or a microwave combi oven? Many thanks

We just thought that some helpfull person on here may know.
ski holidays
Megamum, I've had mini-ovens, microwaves, and combis, but they have usually been as described on the P&V website (we used them a lot when our kids were small). Why not email to ask? It may be that different size apartments have different cooking facilities. I never relied on the oven and made sure I'd planned meals using only the two-ring hob which seemed to be standard at the time. You no doubt will be taking your slow cooker? and there was always bread delivery or a boulangerie in the building.
snow report
Megamum, is it this apartment? http://www.pierreetvacances.com/fr-fr/location-hiver-residence-le-machu-pichu/hebergement_VTM-H_fp?hc=VTM25&duree=7&dated=2012-04-21

the list of equipment includes "four" and "four a micro-ondes" so it looks like both a conventional oven and a microwave.
snow report
pam w, I've never had both though, it was either one or the other (and I used to hope it was a mini-four), so perhaps that is why MM is concerned? The apartments are usually too small.
ski holidays
FraserP wrote:
andytb, Even better. I hope they still do that.
In the Olympiades they visited the apartments on the first night a took your order.
When were you there last?

This was January 2010, and in the unrefurbished section. They did indeed visit on the first night, had they not we would never have known.
latest report
Quote:

I've never had both though

the P & V list I linked to does seem to list both - can't think what else they can mean. We only have an oven in our place, because I didn't want to devote space to a microwave, as I scarcely ever use one myself. Full size ovens and 4 ring ceramic hobs, were built into all the apartments, though they're not big (ours is 45 sq metres). But all the apartments which are rented out have micro-waves too because people tend to expect them. I do occasional cleaning for several, and they are usually spattered with tomato sauce from heating pizzas - though why someone in an apartment with a proper oven would use a microwave for heating a pizza is beyond me...

The apartment rented by the Megas is pretty expensive - over 1000 euros. I'd definitely expect a decent kitchen for that sort of dosh, out of French holidays.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w, but it is French holidays. There are lots of French in VT in April, as there are here.
snow report
Quote:

it is French holidays

sorry - I might have got that wrong. I didn't think there were any French school hols the first week of April. There are a few regions on holiday the second week, but Paris not till second half of April, when the UK schools will have gone back?

We've found April (we've skied till the end of the season every year since 2003) pretty quiet in general. I do hope to be out the first half of April this year, though it will depend on the arrival of our latest grandperson. I well remember skiing the very last day of the season in the Arly Valley a few years ago - totally, utterly, deserted and excellent snow throughout. A few of the non-essential lifts, and two of our favourite restaurants, were already closed - they'd obviously got fed up with no customers around. It was quite eerie. When the snow down in the lower areas is poor Les Saisies (which closes later) gets busier but it seems to be treated as low season, with low prices in accommodation and sales in all the shops. Can get a small studio beside the piste for 235 euros and, as I said above, the ones in our development can be had for 350!
ski holidays
Pam W is right, no French school holidays first week of April, zone A is on holiday 2nd week of April, Pairs in zone C starts holidays 3rd week of April.

http://www.education.gouv.fr/pid25058/le-calendrier-scolaire.html
ski holidays
Hells Bells, pam w, Thanks for your thoughts - I don't know exactly what sort of appt. we have rented FraserP, organised that side of things, but that list in the link looks useful.

So if 'Four' is 'oven' then that I can see list does suggest both, which is the best of both worlds esp. if you only get a two ring hob. I can reheat things in the micro like the kids lunchtime baked beans for their toast without worrying about dirtying a saucepan and do their hot chocolate in it. The oven is good for things like reheating pies, warming bread in the morning, and keeping things warm while I dish up. If I've got both, even if both are small, it is useful esp. as I will also be taking the slow cooker (good guess ladies! LOL). Anything to spread the load that I have to do on a twin hob is handy! One of these days I will win the lottery and we will eat out all the time where-ever we go. It was positive luxury to be able to lunch on the mountain every day in Austria, but that is out of the question everyday in VT.
snow report
Megamum, I stayed in the Machu Pichu residences in April 2011 and December 2011, and if I remember correctly there was a 4 ring hob and a microwave, but no proper oven. I could be wrong, so it's probably worth getting in touch with them but the fact that I didn't cook a frozen pizza all week suggests there was no oven!
ski holidays
wildnoon, I thought it was second week she was going
snow report
Megamum, sounds like you've got it organised. I once spent a week on a boat, and offered to provide and organise the food (as a contribution, given that our friend was providing the boat). He assured me it had an oven and I planned accordingly, then found there wasn't one. Just goes to show how much food he'd ever organised aboard! Some of my planned menu was impossible without one, as you can imagine. When we first moved into our ski apartment the hob didn't work. I chased the kitchen fitter round the freezing building site trying to pin him down to come and look at it. Very intimidating with my vestigial french - the French builders thought it was hilarious and assured me he was hiding from me. When one of them grabbed him and he promised to come "tomorrow" they shouted "he's lying!". Which he was......

Fortunately (as coping at Christmas without either a hob or a microwave is challenging) one of our first guests was a practical type who pulled out all the wiring, found the defective connector and sorted it out.

Given the doubts about the cooker I'd phone P & V to confirm - I'd expect them to speak enough English. It will make it easier for someone with only basic english if you think of a way of asking which uses clear and simple vocabulary. e.g. "is there an oven that I could cook a big chicken in?" - if someone was asking me in French, that would be easier to understand than a more technical question such as "is there a conventional full size oven". wink
ski holidays
pam w, that's just the situation, advance warning on the cooking situation and you can plan what to cook accordingly!

I guess my 25 yr old French would come up with 'Bonjour, Dan les appartments Machu Pichu est ce que une four ce je cuire une grand poulet dan?' Hopeful question in voice. Though Google translate would doubtless improve on that. The slight problem with that is that there are folks out there who would have qualms about cooking a chicken in a large microwave regardless of the objection that the likes of you and I would have about doing such a thing Laughing

I daresay we will get to the bottom of it before we go though. Thanks all for you thoughts and if anyone can confirm what Markus, says that would be great (I suspect he is probably correct).
ski holidays
Megamum, I was suggesting that you ask in English, but in that kind of way, to make it easier for your interlocutor. I think that would probably be the way to go.
snow report
Megamum, Company will no doubt be used to English guests, and will have someone who can reply to an email in English. Why not try a PM to froglegs above?
snow conditions
Hi

I have stayed here, but some time ago, so I called the residence director to be sure in case my memory was wrong (I stay in a LOT of our apartments!) Apologies that our description is not full enough to clarify the details on this one, I will ask the product team to look at including more details on the technical spec of the ovens because they are in fact all different to improve our service in the future!

All apartments always have a hob with 2 - 4 hotplates. The number is often dictated by size.

In Machu Pichu it is in fact a 'micro-wave/grill'. ie you can microwave and it can also grill but roasts are off the menu. It is about the size of a regular microwave so not huge.

Generally in Pierre & Vacances Premium you will get a microwave/grill and conventional oven. In smaller apartments this might be 'mini' size but larger apartments tend to have larger appliances.

In Pierre & Vacances and Maeva there is considerably variation depending on location so if you are shopping before your arrival I would suggest contacting the residence directly. Yes, we have staff who can cope with this type of question in English, possibly not perfect English but adequate! If you booked directly you will find the residence contact details (phone and email) on your booking confirmation with all the other residence info.

If you book via a Tour Operator or an agent they SHOULD pass this info to you. Ask for it if you are making your own travel arrangements. We know it does not always get passed on but it is important because it also tells you what time the reception is open which you will need to know for your arrival. Incidentally if you think you will arrive 'out of hours' this is not a problem but we suggest calling ahead to advise them so they can tell you where to collect the keys. This will save you that 'heart in mouth' moment as you realise reception is closed and then try to follow the treasure hunt for your keys!

I hope that helps, I would heartily recommend buying a rotisserie chicken (and potatoes if you are looking to splash out) from the supermarket or deli rather than cooking from scratch in the apartment anyway - you are on holiday, it doesn't break the bank, and is one of the tastiest french 'takeaway meals' in existence. In my opinion anyway!
ski holidays
frogslegs, Many thanks for the clarification. We actually booked with P&V. The web site says amongst other elements :-
Fully equipped kitchen.......
Oven.......
Microwave oven.......

We'll get by but it's usefull to know what's actually included, it can affect what food items we can take.
BTW, VT is hellishly expensive to buy anything so we try and take what we need (or buy at a hypermarket enroute) rather than buy in resort.
Thanks again.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy