Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What level am I ?

Poster: A snowHead
Royal, not always, but it helps!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Royal wrote:
Adrian, Good question, is there a chart I can look at to find out what my binding should be set at ??

Height= 5'8"
Weight= 13 Rocks
Boot size= 26
Ski level= expert learner

Yes, there are charts which show how, and there are threads on here about it too, where a bunch of people will tell you what your bindings should be set to, but very few of them have ever been trained, and they laugh or complain at those who have been trained for suggesting you go to a ski shop.

Set the DIN release to 3.5, or 5, or 8, or 12. Someone on here will tell you it's the right setting.
Ask somone who knows, and they'll want to know your boot sole length, how aggressive you are on the slopes, and whether you mean 13stone, 182lb or 82kg!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
David Murdoch wrote:
spyderjon, disagree! wink At the risk of degenerating into sematics...

ok, ok. I surrender.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Wear The Fox Hat, cynic! wink True though.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
PG, I don't care where I ski as long as there's a decent cotes du rhone and a well presented cote de boeuf. I do occasionally get caught out by the odd eau de vie.

Does that make me an expert? And if so, what kind? wink wink
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
From the instructor point of view the most useful information is how many weeks you've skied, and how much instruction you've had during those weeks. Everyone says "intermediate" and that's a long as a piece of string!!!!! Very Happy
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
easiski, going by some of our debates it is as long as a very long piece of string too. wink
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Royal

All these things are indicators really. If you don't know what your bindings should be set at, start off at a shop. If they pre-release then they need adjusting. A pre-release can be worst than a late release sometimes
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
JT wrote:
If they pre-release then they need adjusting.

... if they were set at the right level, based on the chart, and have been properly maintained, I'd sooner say: YOU NEED LESSONS!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
i usually on a 6 and they havent pre released yet...

touch wood, i havenet fallen over yet either !
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Wear The Fox Hat,

I might say it depends on the conditions they pre-released in..

Royal,

But you want to know they are right before you fall over as the consequences of a fall might do lots of damage.

A pre-release on plastic is more than lilkely going to give you a grazed burn on the legs or whatever so not too much to get worried about here.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Well any advice on the correct din for me would be great. Cool
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Royal,

As Wear The Fox Hat, said - you need a lot of info to set this correctly - and I wouldn't listen to advice about something so important from anyone on a forum. Go into a shop and ask. You may have to sign a disclosure though.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Royal,

Beanie has a point, we don't know how you ski etc etc. Let the shop do it and take their din as a reference. If I skied with you I would give you a few pointers but from this distance it is not the thing to do.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks for that I had no idea it was som complicated and neither do the counter staff at ski places I think !
snow conditions
Royal, you would not imagine it complicated at all to watch some ski shop staff. What do you weigh? is asked and the bindings set. I would hazard a guess that almost always lighter than one might want.

One question from your original query. YOu say you've just returned to skiing and you've improved a lot. Do you mean you improved when not skiing?
ski holidays
Mm. I've been thinking of going to Zermatt, but am put off because it is described as either for 'adventurous intermediates' or 'not for beginners.' I'd say I'm a reasonable intermediate but I sometimes struggle to know how this relates to various resorts. (i.e. last year I skied all the reds in Courchevel with my husband, and did the black called Jockeys (with ski instructor)). Would I be ok in Zermatt ? What about Val D'Isere ? I've skied Lech/Zurs a lot, but have worried about going to St.Anton. I don't mind if the pistes aren't perfectly groomed, I can cope with uneven terrain.
snow report
erica2004, Roughly the same as I am Laughing I looked at your profile and we've had about the same skiing time, though you've probably had more lessons. Anyway, we may be going to Zermatt or Wengen 2006, and I don't think Zermatt would be too much of a problem for me but I shall be in Ski School for half of the time. I'm sure other snowHead 's will be able to tell you more about the gradings of the pistes. snowHead
latest report
erica2004, Don't be put off Zermatt - it's pretty good for all levels, there's the gtlacier to ensure snowsafe ski-ing, and theres polenty there for your sort of level. Be careful about the blacks though. It's a long time since I skied Jockeys, but i remember it as an easy run with a couple of short steep bits.

Every skier should ski both Wengen and Zermatt at least once in their life! Very Happy
latest report
erica2004, if you are happy on the red runs of Courchevel then you should have no problems in Zermatt. One year when I went we had a complete beginner in our party and he was not very happy except in the ski school. The other less-skilled skiers in our group had no problems. I think the warning you quote relates to some parts of the resort, there are some long runs back to the town itself that can be narrow and icy in places. These runs can be intimidating, they are: long, narrow in places, steep in places, other skiers push past without respect for the timid. On the other hand they are through beautiful terrain and allow access to many of the bars and restuarants so popular to end ones skiing day.

You should go to Zermatt at least once. As a confident skierof red-runs you should enjoy the place.
ski holidays
erica2004,

You will be ok in Zermatt, I'm sure. Its no worst that St A etc. The reason I say it is not suitable for beginners is that there are not many slopes which allow beginners to get off a beginner tow. So they are either on that small tow or have to take quite a leap up to get around the resort. I say this becaue we had VERY timid beginners and they found this a HUGE problem. Its not quite as sedate as Lech/Zurs but as long as you can control your speed you will be fine, even on the 4 o clock runs. Sure, it has some tough runs but so do most places
and the outstanding scenery - and skiing - will more than make up for any doubts. A top class resort which should be enjoyed by everyone at least once IMO.

I did get taken out on one of the long drags - not all impressed - but thats another story..!!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy