Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What level am I ?

Poster: A snowHead
After many years, I'm back in the saddle, so to speak, and I am really loving skiing and feel that I have improved a lot.

When the counter guy at xscape asks "what level are you?" I always say "intermediate mate"

But what's the difference between intermediate and advanced ??

Is there some sort of international driving test I have to pass and get a badge for advanced??

What do I have to be able to do, to confidently say..."Ahem, yeah im advanced pal" as I look round the counter for a pat on the back?

Oh course I say this with tongue firmly planted in cheek, but I am curious just so I can tell my mum! and of course get the right binding setting.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
aaaaaaaaaaaaggggggggghhhhhhh not this one again!!!!

Royal, There was big "discussion" on this topic a few months back...
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
thats unusual, im usually only days behind everyone else !

what was it called ??

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Thu 1-09-05 18:37; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I believe we are all "intermediate" wink
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ian Hopkinson wrote:
I believe we are all "intermediate" wink

Ok Ill tell my mum Im advanced but in public Ill say beginner !
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Royal, we've had this sort of discussion before

We came up with 4 descriptions of the progression in skiing

Unconsiously Incompetant: You have no idea what you are doing whatsoever but don't care

Consiously Incompetant: You know that you're not a good skier and are stiving to improve

Consiously Competant: You know how to ski but you have to concentrate on doing the right thing at the right time

Unconsiously Competant: You ski well without the need to think about it, it has become second nature in much the same way as walking

I'd say that an advanced skier is just as happy and confident skiing a black run as they are skiing a blue, an expert skier is someone who is just as happy skiing a difficult off piste run in tricky snow conditions
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ive heard these types of description before for other things and usually get put into the "Incompetently Incompetent" bracket.

I have to say Im skiing now without consciously thinking about it, which is good.

The bad thing is, I dont really know how Im doing it, if that makes sense ??
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Unconcious is good...as long as you are unconciously doing the right thing!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Now skiing while Unconcious could be an intersting experience for everyone else watching I suppose !
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ah, found the thread, if you have difficulties getting to sleep one night wink It's here

(sorry - can a nice mod make it look nice please - I can never remember how to do it Very Happy )
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Cathy Coins,
Like this, I am getting quite good at it although I still need a note to remind me!

[url=thewebaddress] some words like, it's here[/url]

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Thu 1-09-05 19:11; edited 3 times in total
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Cathy Coins,
Quote:

can a nice mod make it look nice please - I can never remember how to do it )

This, I believe is a good example of Conscious Incompetence Laughing
BTW I also don't know how to make it look nice wink
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
A nice Mod came along and did it for her wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
D G Orf, Surely ALL the Mod's are nice Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
lol thanks cathy
snow report
boredsurfin, only so long as the snowHeads are well behaved, otherwise it's .....
latest report
Royal,

I'll have a go.

Beginner...... Can't handle snow plough turns
Intermediate has subs, ie early intermediate and advanced intermediate....uses mostly parallel turns of varying conviction
The skiing domain here is flat runs on blues and reds, and an advanced intermediate does blacks and dabbles in big moguls

Advanced skis all pistes reasonably well and has experiemented off piste. Getting pretty competant at getting round the mountain.

Expert, doesn't care where they ski but can handle most things. Might get caught out by a few conditions but pretty sorted.

Local. Can ski anything anyhow ...probaly has 100 weeks plus on skis...

Something like that but I am sure a few people will disagree.
snow report
Thank you! I must write it down and stick it on the computer Very Happy (how to do the nice link that is)
snow report
Cathy Coins wrote:
Thank you! I must write it down and stick it on the computer Very Happy

Have you tried pressing the button that makes that other box, the one that make noises for a while and a bit of paper comes out with words on it ??
ski holidays
Oh JT, you don't know what a minefield you've entered. Just have a quick peep at the thread I linked to above Very Happy
ski holidays
Royal Laughing Laughing
latest report
Cathy Coins,

I don't care, if someone asked me this is how I would define them, if they don't like it...and the only reason they might not, may be because they think they are better than they are.

But I will take alook....!!
snow report
JT, sounds good enough to me.

Think I'll stick to "yeah Im ok"

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Thu 1-09-05 19:35; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
JT, trust me, don't, no good can come from it Shocked
ski holidays
slikedges,

I'm gonna, I'm gonna....I'm intrigued now...!!

I bet I can guess all the usual suspects...!!
ski holidays
JT, How did you miss it originally, it went on and on for what seemed like weeks wink
snow report
boredsurfin,

Dunno...but I am trawling through it now..
latest report
boredsurfin,

oh dear, only got through the first page and gave up

I'll stick with my rough guide....and when I ski with someone it does for me.

What something thinks they can do because of a third party reference and what they can actually do maybe two completly different things.

All I want to know is somwething like this..." I'm going down here, do you fancy it..?"

I don't think I'm a great skier by any stretch, I would say advanced to expert on S&R's scale or 8 or 9, but I know what I can ski and I'm pretty safe doing it on very steep terrain.
If someone say they are advanced but can't handle steep pitches off-piste it is upto them what they equate their level to be at. I know my limits.
everything else is just guff on these pages, It don't really matter here!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
JT, I think all of the above was dismissed on pages 6 and 7 wink
ski holidays
boredsurfin,

Oh no, Not going to have to trawl thru that...!!!

Liked PG's pic of Bellecote tho'

All we are looking for is compatable skiers and you only find that out by doing it, not talking about it..

In my group we all have our day or week when someone excels and just gets it and leaves the others standing a bit but we all know what they can do even if they do it with different styles and techniques.
ski holidays
D G Orf wrote:
Royal, we've had this sort of discussion before

We came up with 4 descriptions of the progression in skiing

Unconsiously Incompetant: You have no idea what you are doing whatsoever but don't care

Consiously Incompetant: You know that you're not a good skier and are stiving to improve

Consiously Competant: You know how to ski but you have to concentrate on doing the right thing at the right time

Unconsiously Competant: You ski well without the need to think about it, it has become second nature in much the same way as walking

I'd say that an advanced skier is just as happy and confident skiing a black run as they are skiing a blue, an expert skier is someone who is just as happy skiing a difficult off piste run in tricky snow conditions

I've always had a problem with the standard 'four stages of learning' model. Surely 'unconscious' needs to be substituted with 'subconscious' as you can't do anything if you're unconscious.
snow report
spyderjon, yes you're probably correct
snow conditions
The discussion of the variations of {Un}Consiously {In}Competant are fascinating but would a non-English ski shop oik understand such subtleties of the English language?

Do any Snowheads work at selling or hiring skis and boots? What sort of descriptions of skiing ability do they actually take any notice of? How would they like customers to describe themselves?
snow report
Advanced..............learner
snow conditions
Adrian, At the dry slope, I like to watch folk, before they ski, putting boots on, carrying skis etc. Tells me as much about how people ski, as what they say.

As for me I say 'Indeterminate'...
snow report
Adrian, Good question, is there a chart I can look at to find out what my binding should be set at ??

Height= 5'8"
Weight= 13 Rocks
Boot size= 26
Ski level= expert learner
latest report
spyderjon, disagree! wink At the risk of degenerating into semantics...

From Dictionary.com

un·con·scious Audio pronunciation of "unconscious" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (n-knshs)
adj.
1. Lacking awareness and the capacity for sensory perception; not conscious.
2. Temporarily lacking consciousness.
3. Occurring in the absence of conscious awareness or thought: unconscious resentment; unconscious fears.
4. Without conscious control; involuntary or unintended: an unconscious mannerism.

sub·con·scious Audio pronunciation of "subconscious" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (sb-knshs)
adj.
Not wholly conscious; partially or imperfectly conscious: subconscious perceptions.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Fri 2-09-05 9:45; edited 1 time in total
snow report
schtop ! Puzzled
ski holidays
JT wrote:
Royal, Expert, doesn't care where they ski but can handle most things. Might get caught out by a few conditions but pretty sorted..../.... Something like that but I am sure a few people will disagree.

wink Agree with the last bit!

The true experts: don't care where they ski and can handle virtually ALL things. Only rarely get caught out by the most extreme of conditions but are usually mountain savvy enough not to be there in the first place. Ski for a sizeable chunk of the year, have undergone high level instruction. Practice regularly close to the limit. Guides, good instructors, competitors mainly.
snow report
and usually started at the age of 3 ?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy