Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

France: La Plagne/Champagny snow report 2012-2013

Poster: A snowHead
I thought it was looking a bit soggy on the webcams lower down. Pelting down with snow at Plagne Centre and above though Very Happy (I'm seeing this smiley a lot lately!)

Shocked

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 25-12-11 13:47; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Looks amazing. The next two weeks are really going to drag! I'm far more excited about going skiing than Christmas and I love Christmas wink
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Baron101, The perfect Christmas is greatly enhanced by the prospect of a skiing holiday right afterwards. I always go in early January for exactly this reason snowHead
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I will update this thread when I am (hopefully) there tomorrow hehe.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
red 27, Must correct you there, The perfect Christmas is greatly enchanced by going on a skiing holiday, especially when it's dumping down with snow.

At the moment it is raining in Champagny village (1250m) but that is due to change to snow later this evening, I would say at the moment it is snowing around the 1800 to 1900m level.
It snowed down to about 1000m yesterday afternoon, about 30cms fell overnight in the village and snow chains were needed on the run up to the village. People travelling today should be ok but tomorrow could be interesting if you are travelling as the freezing level is due to drop to 300 metres with a moderate amount of snow forecast.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
skichampcouk, shhhhh don't say that!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Piccadilly wrote:
I will update this thread when I am (hopefully) there tomorrow hehe.

If you pass thro' Bellecote, please give the webcam a wipe over. Its been covered with snow most of today
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Arrived safe and sound. Journey was a breeze. Rain at Geneva, traffic ok, no problems getting up to the resort. The amount of snow is staggering, everything is buried! The sun came out to welcome us in, it's looking stunning. Cannot WAIT to get out there tomorrow.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Fantastic start to the season with tons of snow in Champagny, the gondola didn't start running until 11am and only 2 lifts were open in the Champagny area but the bits that had been pisted were fantastic, everything else was powder so not a bad start to a season. Maximum avalanche risk of 5/5 so take care.

The resort was very quiet this morning but I expect it will be pretty busy tomorrow.

The road down to Bozel was passable with chains or winter tyres this afternoon (at 1pm when I set off) and the snowploughs were out in force. I was talking to a couple at the gondola this morning who had driven up to Champagny at 10pm on Friday evening, they had winter tyres and managed ok.
The road from Bozel down to Moutiers was clear as was the road/ autoroute from Moutiers to Geneva.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
well having fun and games in Montchavin, took a few hours for the lifts to get going and there is plenty about (safety being key), due for a big morning tomorrow.

Due to the amount of snow the piste bashers are unable to do there primary job because they are sinking!!!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Looking at the Bellecote webcam, at all the snow still coming down and people skiing (and queuing), its incredible that its only about two weeks since we were looking at brown fields and getting jittery Laughing

http://pv.viewsurf.com/?id=60
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Awesome day today in La Plagne!

Masses of fresh snow on the floor and more coming down with patches of sunshine breaking through. Snowing down as far as Bourg Sainte Maurice so really good coverage in the villages too.

Woo hoo!!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Has anybody tried the new Verdons Sud lift yet? If so, has it made much difference?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
skichampcouk, it was closed today when I went past at about 1pm.

Had a great ski in poor vis this morning over on your side. The run down into the village is closed, but the meadows above had some great powder. The picnic hut but the gondala was crammed Sad
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Could someone get ride of the picture at the top of this page as it messes up the formatting anfd you cannot read all the posts. Thanks
snow conditions
All booked to come out on Sat 7th Jan. Will be relying on any snowheads out there to keep me posted on snow conditions between now and then! Can't wait snowHead Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
Looking at the snow reports there was another 20-25cms of snow yesterday, current snow depths reported as 150cms at 2000m and 285cms at 3200m which seems incredible for so early in the season.

Hopefully somebody out there enjoying it will find time to let us know how good it is.
snow report
skichampcouk wrote:

Hopefully somebody out there enjoying it will find time to let us know how good it is.

I'll be there next Monday.

Wi-fi permitting, I'll try to do updates
snow report
Loads more snow in La Plagne over the last few days. Rain/snow line is really low too so masses of snow in Montchavin/Montalbert etc as well as the central La Plagne Villages. Leave plenty of time if you are travelling out this week - lots of delays due to the snow.

Visability is quite poor today and the temperatues is quite cold but awesome powder underfoot. Sunshine forecast for Thursday onwards so I think we're in for a treat!
latest report
we get there on Saturday, I'll post an update after we've been out on the slopes on Christmas Day
ski holidays
Hey all at La plagne, any news on conditions?

I'm hoping to get a few more off piste lessons when I head out on the 31st- anyone happen to know of any group stuff going on? I'm a reasonable skier but new to the deep stuff, had a few off piste lessons in 2010 and 2009 in serre che and avoriaz but conditions put a stop to any more when I came out to la plagne last feb, so hoping to make up for lost time last season next week!
ski holidays
SkiG, Look at Oxygene ski school, they run a 5 mornings a steep and deep course, was ace last year.
snow report
It's finally stopped snowing! Lovely warm sunny day today and forecast so for the next 4 days, we will finally get to see the powder we have been skiing all week.
However, the downside is the pistes have very little base and I guess will start showing worn patches fairly soon.
ski holidays
SkiTigger wrote:
SkiG, Look at Oxygene ski school, they run a 5 mornings a steep and deep course, was ace last year.

Thanks, unfortunately they aren't running the course that week, shame, and whilst I'm sure the private lessons they offered would be great, not really financially viable!

Getting a little worried about the increasing temps- hope things dont turn icy! Looks like those heading out this weekend timed it perfectly
ski holidays
Just back from a few days in Les Coches and conditions were obviously excellent. Lots of snow which I'm sure can form the basis of a very good season

Saw a fellow snowHead in the Vanoise Express on wednesday in a vantage helmet with snowHead sticker on - who was that I wonder...

Grooming better in La Plagne side but the 'villages' there rather crowded. new Mont Blanc lift in Les Arcs seems not to work and they seemed to have a habit of closing and opening the links into / out of the Arc 2000 bowl with an alarming randomness, stranding people over there - avalanche related I guess.
snow report
skichampcouk,
Just back from a week in Belle Plagne. The snow conditions were absolutely fantastic. The avalanch risk was very high so we didn't stray far, but just boarding down the steeper edges of the blues served by Blanchets, Colloses, Dos Rond and Carrolley was a major thrill. At it's deepest (On Tuesday or Wednesday) in the section between the Les Ours piste and the Col De Force drag I couldn't see my son's legs at all, and it was pretty much knee deep all week. The pistes themselves were also excellent and overall this was one of the best week's boarding I've had.
On the negative side, lower down did suffer from being a bit icy. It was raining up to around 1800 on the Friday we arrived, and although it subsequently snowed, the piste was hard once this was swept aside. There were also (unbeliveably given the weather) a couple of bare-ish patches, notably on Arpette. However these were minor blemishes on generally great conditions. And of course we paid for the fresh snow each day in lack of visibility.
However the real disappointment for me was that even by the end of the week there were still very few of the steep slopes open. But once again I guess that's the price you pay for having so much snow in a very short time, and I guess it's only polite to leave something untouched for those going this week.
They will be having a very merry Christmas!
Now, just four weeks (and counting) till I go again...
latest report
Baggyboy - I'll let you know as I'm out for another 8 days. Pistes were very very quiet yesterday around Dos Rond and Belle Plagne excellent for the kids.
latest report
Got back yesterday after an amazing week's skiing. Just tons and tons of snow. It's a shame they didn't really open everything up until Friday though because it was VERY busy at times. I also really enjoyed the 50th birthday celebrations on Wednesday, they went to a lot of trouble. The fireworks were fantastic!

The snow conditions up high are brilliant, it's only lower down that it was a bit stony and icy.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
arrived yesterday, conditions higher up are brilliant an it is wonderfully quiet, today will probably see it start to get busier before NYE, the run down to Champagny is mainly artificial snow below 1400m, the best thing is there are hardly any brits here moaning about the price of beer!
latest report
Should be a few more moaning Brits arriving today, we are due in some time this evening.

It does usually get busy after Boxing Day so make the most of the quiet period.
snow conditions
skichampcouk wrote:
Should be a few more moaning Brits arriving today, we are due in some time this evening.

It does usually get busy after Boxing Day so make the most of the quiet period.

we're here until the 2nd, drop me a PM and we can meet for a ski/beer (both) if you'd like.
snow report
Standee, PM sent.

Good skiing today, pistes in good to excellent condition under beautiful blue skies. Another 40cms of snow forecast between Thursday evening and Sunday.
latest report
Definately a marked increase in skiers today. I had to que for a lift today for the first time in 11 days. Crying or Very sad
latest report
Bright sunshine over the last few days with good snow conditions still underfoot and powder off piste. Avalanche risk is beginning to come down now and the glacier and other higher-risk areas are open.

Sunshine today with more snow forecast for towards the end of the week.
latest report
Greetings from Plagne Soleil.

As others have mentioned, conditions are excellent.

I skied over to Les Arcs today ( well just the other side of the Vanoise Express anyway).

From the top of the Arpette down to the VE was pretty good, just a few icey spots in the trees where the snow had been worn away. I went over quite early, so my run down was all the shade.

Back over LP side of the Arpette it is blazing sunshine, which caused a few patches of soft and sticky snow on piste.

Forecast is for light snow tomorrow and then heavier showers on Friday.
snow conditions
Small avalanche today on the back of Becoin, running across the run out track from Pistes Morbleu and Les Etroits. (Which have not opened this season) No one hurt as far as we know.
Very warm today, saw some topless boarders over in Champagny!
ski holidays
very cloudy at the top of the Champagncy Bubble today, clear over in La Plagne and surrounds this afternoon and wonderfully quiet, bumped into skichampuk and family yesterday completely by accident, TWICE!

3 more days to go, really do not want to go home, heading to Les Arcs (weather permitting) tomorrow.
snow conditions
Just started snowing again in Plagne Soleil.

Apparently there's a foot plus due in the next 24
snow report
ukredsox, Yep red somewhere that the 12inches in Plagne is going to be a meter in Chamonix and in Va d'isere. Having laughed at that there is a severe snow warning out for Bourg St Maurice for tonight and tomorrow...we shall see!
ski holidays
been steady snow almost all night and still falling now in Champagny, trip to Les Arcs is off for today (and probably tomorrow) so may well end up with New Years day in Les Arcs, webcams not yet showing today to see what it's like up there, but if it's snowing this much down here then the top will probably be fairly similar to yesterday visibility wise.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy