Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

France: La Plagne/Champagny snow report 2012-2013

Poster: A snowHead
I'm all into recycling!!!!

So 2012-13, BRING ON THE SNOW!!!!!!

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sat 24-11-12 10:11; edited 3 times in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm not sure I know what the question is Puzzled
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
live webcam shows a dusting of snow but nothing to get excited about.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
so Schuss in Boots cannot read thread titles, despite being a mega-snowhead, how odd!

thanks jirac18, you seem to be blessed with the gift of reading, I can't seem to find a live webcam at the moment, so a link would be appreciated.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Standee, Ok, fair enough. But glass houses an' all that... you might want to brush up on your spelling skills wink
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
you seem to need to improve your reading skills Schuss, I can't seem to find any spelling errors in my post???
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Standee, You've skied in la Plange? Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
geepee wrote:
Standee, You've skied in la Plange? Twisted Evil

mods, feel free to delete this, I didn't realise snowHead was the preserve of the intelligencia, I was simply asking for some information.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Standee, you didn't start well by being arsey with someone who would be perfectly willing to help you. Call us pedantic if you will, but in order to provide answers, we need questions.

Nobody would be daft enough to ask about snow conditions in Champagny in October. So, what info do you want?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Standee, Nothing to do with intelligencia, but a reasonable request for clarification was dealt with in a sarcastic manner. Evil or Very Mad
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
To be fair to Standee, I routinely browse sHs via the 'View posts since last visit' so I didn't notice where this thread was located, which might have given me a clue as to what he/she was asking. My fault.

That said Standee, I didn't deserve the rude response I got. You'd be more likely to get the help or info you require if you don't bite people's heads off when they do respond.

pam w, geepee, Thank you. Smile
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Schuss in Boots, you didn't. I didn't know what he wanted either, as I read the forum in the same way you do.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
well I just read the thread, and still didn't know - didn't occur to me anyone would actually be asking about snow in Champagny now - the place is probably still full of cows with bells on.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
yes, they'll have had a sprinkling and it will soon melt. Luckily for the cows. wink
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Now now children play nicely or you'll be put on the naughty step Little Angel

http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/La-Plagne/webcams/latest
snow report
The best Champagny cam

http://www.webcam-hd.com/champagny.php

The best La Plagne cams

http://www.la-plagne.com/fr/hiver/autres/webcams.html
snow conditions
thanks to jirac18 and Snapzz
ski holidays
Yep cows outside the window and a little scattering of snow on the higher peaks, hard frost this morning so looking hopeful for first tracks next week snowHead wink
ski holidays
In season a good webcam to view the conditions at the top of the gondola is the one at La Rosa http://www.trinum.com/ibox/champagny/Images/rossa_MEGA.jpg . This only appears to be switched on when the cable car is running or at least powered up, it is currently showing conditions at the end of September and probably will not update until well into December.

For current conditions the best view is from Grand Rochette http://laplagne.livecam360.com/grande-rochette/flash/main.php (looks like somebody has already beaten you to the first tracks this year Boredsurfing, ).

The cows don't usually go in until around the end of November / early December when the snow starts sticking in the village, it is quite funny watching them slide down the hill in the snow.
ski holidays
looking at the start of this thread may show that it is that time of year.... getting colder but no snow yet, everyone waiting for the webcams to go white, so to pass the time a few one liners on the thread. I really should get more work done.... but ....
ski holidays
Looking at the web cams today and there seems to be a bit of snow on the ground, but not much sign of activity. Any one know if they are just testing, or starting to make snow in earnest? Just 4 weeks till we go, so it's starting to get interesting for me
ski holidays
baggyboy, Keep watching, particularly Wednesday/Thursday next week snowHead
snow report
baggyboy, I would say they are just testing the snow cannons at the moment so it must be cooling down out there.

As you say it is 4 weeks before the ski area is open so plenty of time for the real snow to arrive. I am out there next week so will give an update on the weather then.
snow conditions
I was up at about 2500m in La Plagne today and there is no snow whatsoever. None. Nada. Niente. Zip.

They have blown a tiny amount of snow, but clearly just testing/setting-up the cannons.

We were up there to go moutain biking, which i think tells you everything you need to know. Sad
latest report
stevomcd, that explains the odd patches on the webcam, been trying to work it out, so thanks for the info.
snow conditions
Once its cold enough do they just build up large mounds of snow from the cannons and then spread it about. I have seen cannons working mid season where it basically blows a layer of fresh snow across existing pistes but never seen how they start it off.
ski holidays
Boredsurfing, I watched, did I blink at the wrong time?

skichampcouk, is the cooling down predicted on the weather thread apparant there on the ground?

I hope so as otherwise it's looking like another week closer to coming (just 3 now!) and still no good news. Crying or Very sad

Still at least Courcheval across the valley looks pretty bare too, so I know it's not just La Plagne that aren't making snow yet so I guess there's plenty of time. (I wanted a hopeful emoticon at this point, but there doesn't seem to be one of those.)
snow report
baggyboy, Laughing Laughing Yep I think the snowgods did .....
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
jirac18 wrote:
Once its cold enough do they just build up large mounds of snow from the cannons and then spread it about. I have seen cannons working mid season where it basically blows a layer of fresh snow across existing pistes but never seen how they start it off.

That is how I have seen it done and had it described to me. One of the on mountain staff at Copper told me that they will typically let the "whales" (aka large mounds/piles) ~cure for a few days before spreading them out to let some of the moisture drain- when pressed for time, it is more blow and go.
latest report
MEfree30,
Quote:

cure for a few days before spreading them out to let some of the moisture drain- when pressed for time, it is more blow and go.

Ah, Thanks for that I assumed the mounds were just for convenient storage Very Happy
Come to think about it, the manmade that has been stacked stored and then spread does last longer and has a different consistency.
snow conditions
They use it to bring the ground temperature down for when the real snow comes as well, or so I was told.
ski holidays
baggyboy, It was pretty cold out there in Champagny village last week. Beautiful blue skies and sunshine but the temperature was only between 5 and 8 degrees centigrade most afternoons, yesterday afternoon was a bit warmer at 12 degrees but that was an exception. At night it felt really cold and in places out of the sunshine the ground was frozen pretty much all the time. Champagny le Haut looked really cold, it doesn't get too much sun in winter, probably why they put the ice climbing construction there.

Most of the leaves are off the trees now (and now been cleared from the apartment roof gutters and terrace drains) so it looks like Autumn is just about finished and Winter is on its way. The forecast is for some snow on Friday and then bad weather for the following week so the webcams should start looking a bit whiter. It did feel colder than when I was out there last year around this time, I think it was the first week in December I was out clearing the gutters last year. It snowed / rained a lot that week but it felt warmer and the ground seemed softer but that could be just my memory going soft.

Across the valley in Courchevel looked pretty brown, a few runs had some artificial snow on but they need the snow to arrive early if they are to open next weekend.
latest report
skichampcouk wrote:
baggyboy, It was pretty cold out there in Champagny village last week. Beautiful blue skies and sunshine but the temperature was only between 5 and 8 degrees centigrade most afternoons, yesterday afternoon was a bit warmer at 12 degrees but that was an exception. At night it felt really cold and in places out of the sunshine the ground was frozen pretty much all the time. Champagny le Haut looked really cold, it doesn't get too much sun in winter, probably why they put the ice climbing construction there.

Most of the leaves are off the trees now (and now been cleared from the apartment roof gutters and terrace drains) so it looks like Autumn is just about finished and Winter is on its way. The forecast is for some snow on Friday and then bad weather for the following week so the webcams should start looking a bit whiter. It did feel colder than when I was out there last year around this time, I think it was the first week in December I was out clearing the gutters last year. It snowed / rained a lot that week but it felt warmer and the ground seemed softer but that could be just my memory going soft.

Across the valley in Courchevel looked pretty brown, a few runs had some artificial snow on but they need the snow to arrive early if they are to open next weekend.

cheers for that, 25 days until we go, not overly concerned as we can always sit and play scrabble/monopoloy whilst sampling the local wine!!

(but I would really prefer snow, if the gods are listening)
snow report
skichampcouk, thanks for the update. If you're not too busy having fun, let us know when the snow arrives this week (note: positive thinking, not overconfidence!). wink

Speaking of positive thinking I looked at the Courcheval web cams to see what the Champagny side looked like from the distance, and they are indeed still planning to open this week-end. At the moment they also say they have just 6cm of snow at the top. So hopefully they know something...? Still at least the avalanche risk is only 1 so the off piste should be (relatively) safe. Laughing
snow conditions
On a "worst case scenario" basis, if there isn't any natural snow in December, which pistes in La Plagne do the snow-canons do the best job on ?
snow report
ukredsox, None! I don't think any pistes have snowmaking all the way down! Snowmaking tends to be used on high traffic areas. But without a frozen base even man made snow would be useless.
The lower villages Montchavin Champagny and Montalbert all have very good snowmaking but the 'top' of the pistes relies on real snow.
La Plagne has Glacier skiing so there will be at least two/three pistes and two itineries open up there.

Don't forget 30 years ago only very high altitude resorts, anywhere in the Alps, opened before Christmas most resorts opened around the begining of January or later.
latest report
The webcam at Grand Rochette is looking white this morning http://laplagne.livecam360.com/grande-rochette/flash/main.php , maybe 1 or 2 cms.
Snow-forecast predicts 40cms of snow over the next 5 days with heavy snow on Sunday and Wednesday nights.
MeteoFrance are predicting bad weather this weekend and next Friday / Saturday but sun on Wednesday so keep watching.
ski holidays
skichampcouk, Lets hope this the start of greater things to come - I am there mid January Toofy Grin
latest report
title changed, if some kind moderator wants to tidy the early part of the thread up then, according to skichampuk, we can talk about the important stuff - snow!!!!
snow report
Standee, so pleased you have now corrected the name, makes it much easier to know what this thread is. It might also be a good idea if you added 2011 - 2012 after the name so that when people search from outside snowheads they will know this is the current thread as there are loads of older ones in the archives. Just a suggestion.

When we come over from Les Arcs side during the season for some riding I shall add stuff here, but will keep the Les Arcs posts to that thread to save confusion and double posting.

Just been looking at Les Cloches and Monchavin ski area. Only a dusting there as well lower down, but it does look white'ish now which is great. Now let it snow. We still need a great deal of snow across the whole Paradiski area to get the place open next weekend.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy