Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How "good" do you need to ski for each BASI level

Poster: A snowHead
Uninspired by the BASI videos, if that's L4, then it's a lot easier than I thought. Has anyone got any footage of people who have recently passed the eurotest in gates? I'd be intrigued to see how they look.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
jimmer wrote:
Has anyone got any footage of people who have recently passed the eurotest in gates? I'd be intrigued to see how they look.

It doesn't matter how they look, only whether they are fast enough.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Really? How enlightening. For whatever anyone says about 'skiing ugly' to win, the fastest skiers tend to ski the cleanest.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
jimmer, They will look just like any other racer, there is plenty of race and training footage on YouTube.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
So has the conclusion from this thread based on those that have seen or done real assessments that BASI need to showcase their top level a bit better or at least find a better camera angle?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
fatbob, I don't think the videos are typical of what I've seen. Nevertheless the videos are useful in terms of the performance criteria you are expected to demonstrate, in terms of trying to illustrate it as well as giving you some 'motion analysis' footage to study. Great for tuning in your eye.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
L2 Variables look interesting compared to the other vids at that level.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Rjs, not all racers look the same, I've been watching the US team train a lot recently and you can definitely see who's on the WC and who's on the dev team, I'd guess ET candidates would be a few notches below them. I still can't find an actual ET run on youtube, so if anyone could point me in the right direction that'd be great.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
But isn't the basi l4 meant to show what you'd demo to a customer, whereas the csia seems to me to be more of a "what can you do" akin to the basi l4 performance short turns ( not in the video)
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

Uninspired by the BASI videos, if that's L4, then it's a lot easier than I thought.

It certainly gives out that impression in contrast to the equivalent ISIA and ISTD videos, what struck me was the spectrum of abilities of these guys and girls on the same course, presumably they all qualified for this by all passing the previous levels?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
gatecrasher wrote:
Quote:

Uninspired by the BASI videos, if that's L4, then it's a lot easier than I thought.

It certainly gives out that impression in contrast to the equivalent ISIA and ISTD videos, what struck me was the spectrum of abilities of these guys and girls on the same course, presumably they all qualified for this by all passing the previous levels?

I think there's a big step between the first levels and ISIA.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

gatecrasher wrote:
Quote:

Exactly what I was wondering!?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
clarky999 wrote:
Yes, it's huge.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
jimmer, there is some out there , search eurotest here and there is some on a thread called interesting news about the eurotest...
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
jimmer, this is a vid of me opening in ADH.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/JJC-Training/122157784474818?sk=videos#/video/video.php?v=500080720107

Hope this shows you what the level is, the pass time is normally 4-5 seconds behind my time.
snow report
Cheers, that looks a lot better than the BASI vids! The pass time is 4-5 seconds back on how long a course?
snow report
around 50 seconds if i remember rightly.
snow conditions
jjc james, nice skiing, respect
snow report
You can also view the youtube clips via Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/BASI.BritishAssociationofSnowsportInstructors?sk=app_2513891999

Took me a long time to figure out how to link a youtube channel to a page!!
ski holidays
You can also view the youtube clips via Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/BASI.BritishAssociationofSnowsportInstructors?sk=app_2513891999

Took me a long time to figure out how to link a youtube channel to a page!!
ski holidays
Thanks for adding the CSIA videos.
I'm doing my level 2 and Race Level 1 in Canada this year.
I've been a bit apprehensive as to what standards they are expecting.
I'm pleasantly suprised. The last time i skied i was at the same standard shown in the videos as level 4...perhaps not so fast in the bumps, but hey it's made me feel a lot better.
Hopefully i will continue where i left off and hopefully i've not gone backwards.

I was under the impression from talking to people that the CSIA was slightly less than the BASI levels? From the video's, it doesn't seem that way, if not the other way round.

I agree the videos don't do BASI any favours. They are obviously fantastic skiers, but it doesn't do them justice.

Just hoping i can teach well...Nightmare if you can ski but not communicate properly. Gone are the days of 'Follow me and bend ze kneez'.

Many thanks again for the link Cool
snow conditions
Some bumps and steeps assessment video from an ISTD course in Val d'Isere

http://youtube.com/v/LgMLwTj98V0

I'm in two minds on the bumps. Part of me is thinking "that's not very good, even I could do better than that". And then I look at the run and it looks very steep and very horrid. And on balance I suspect it's just a steep, horrid run...
latest report
FlyingStantoni wrote:

I'm in two minds on the bumps. Part of me is thinking "that's not very good, even I could do better than that". And then I look at the run and it looks very steep and very horrid. And on balance I suspect it's just a steep, horrid run...

Pretty much sums it up for me too (especially the underlined bit, I'm balls in bumps). The guy in dark clothes around 1.45 seemed the best to me, but even so they were 'dealing with' rather than performing. If they were passes, that honestly doesn't seem a high enough standard to me (although I guess BASI focus more on the onpiste performance stuff/racing?). Every day up Nordkette I see people well outperforming those guys in the bumps, and that's on good 40/45 degree slopes.

Will have to get some footage of my gf in the bumps, it's incredible to watch.
ski holidays
FlyingStantoni, I like the guy at the very end....could easily be me...the crash part anyway! Laughing
snow report
Although those are pretty big bumps most of those guys in that clip were WAY below the bumps performance of the ISTD candidates I saw in Tux in May. Difficult to tell from a YouTube video about the challenge of the slope, but the good candidates at L3 ISIA level seemed better that the skiers in that clip.
snow conditions
rob@rar wrote:
Although those are pretty big bumps most of those guys in that clip were WAY below the bumps performance of the ISTD candidates I saw in Tux in May. Difficult to tell from a YouTube video about the challenge of the slope, but the good candidates at L3 ISIA level seemed better that the skiers in that clip.

Were they even L2 Standard?
snow conditions
scooby_simon, yes, well above that I'd say. L2 bumps I think are assessed on relatively gentle blue gradients. The bumps in that clip look much steeper than that.
snow conditions
rob@rar wrote:
scooby_simon, yes, well above that I'd say. L2 bumps I think are assessed on relatively gentle blue gradients. The bumps in that clip look much steeper than that.

Good ho! That run looks Similar (but Wider) than Fang in St. Anton. I can enjoy Fang; I should be OK with L2 bumps. Roll on Courchevel.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
This thread is pure gold. Thanks all who've contributed. Please keep the Q&A coming, this is great for those of us with all this on the horizon/those looking to progress quickly.

It's particularly awesome to see so many videos of people with, effectively, a similar level of skiing (no issues with gradient/difficult terrain or surface, consistent linked turns, with some-good-very good rhythm/sexiness), but such variation between them too. I expect many of them think they're skiing a lot more smoothly/sexily than they realise they actually are when they watch the playback, as it certainly true of me and I imagine most people except the most self-deprecating. Video must be huge for these courses these days.

I wonder if on the bumps if you ensure you use a third of the bumps to help you brake (good knee absorption or whatnot), a third of the bumps to help you turn [on top of it, showing you can use it to help your transition), and ski round a third of them (gaining a little speed/showing you can cope with the forces involved), and don't stick to a narrow corridoor (and look confident/in control) you're most of the way there? Ok that's quite a lot to do on a steep, possibly icy slope with two video cameras and 5+ pairs of eyes trained on you, perhaps after an hour of the course... rolling eyes So much to learn...
snow report
JaMMi wrote:
... and don't stick to a narrow corridoor
You are required to stick to a corridor. You have to ski the bumps down the fall line, which can make it quite a challenge as the bumps get mean.
latest report
Yeah like rob@rar has said, not many people passed from the group. Here is a better example of the level required from the l4 tec in tux 2010

http://youtube.com/v/noDNnerNbpk

2 skiers passed.

the guy at 0.40 and the guy at 0.55. This is when they first appear, watch out for them in the rest of the video, it covers long/shorts/bumps/steeps/variables, and their skiing probably a true measure of the level.

also the opening bit shows the bump run steepness.
snow conditions
skifluff, good link, much better representation of the standard required, especially with the opening shot establishing the challenge of the slopes they were typically skiing.
snow report
skifluff, Thanks - that's the clearest visual representation I've seen as to what the BASI L4 line might be, and besides the technical nuances the 2 guys you identify as passes just seem to look more natural.
snow conditions
Crikey, the ISTD vid looks dreadful! And i am afraid that I can' believe it's just the slope Shocked

'fluffs video a very different matter, some of that stuff looks a bit tricks, snow snakes abounding.
snow conditions
skifluff, the guy at 3:12 on the steep off piste with the lovely looking dry north facing snow (my favourite) I assume he's got L3 already, how?
ski holidays
waynos,easy to criticise but these guys are skiing under a lot of pressure in an exam situation, look at the guys who passed on that same pitch in the run up to 312... musta been pretty tough conditions as they didnt look hugely better... One bad run doesnt mean he wasnt at the level whenever he did his 3 tech... i think there is an element of people who just got their L3 rocking up for the L4 tech as they figure until they pass that no point doing the other modules. you see that on the L3 tech as well people who arent ready having a go..
snow conditions
Steve Angus wrote:
agreed with most people that the BASI video's do not show up as being vastly dynamic but the jjc james videos do a lot more justice!

Quote:
I assume level 4 in both systems is similar standard?

...standard may be equivacable?!? but employment opportunities a little more available with BASI. In no small part to the extra off-piste / race coaching etc modules.

The race coaching is handled by the CSCF and you tend to acquire those levels in parallel with your CSIA levels.
snow conditions
skifluff, Well done for capturing to me an accurate measure of the level of ability to obtain BASI 4; well done to the guy in black and the chap in light blue top- they were the ones to pass.
ski holidays
Some videos from a CSIA L4 exam with the actual marks achieved. There are more tests than these 4, a corridor run and a GS race I know of.

Short turns

http://www.youtube.com/user/oldlukas#p/u/0/DHjcZTBM88Y

Bumps

http://www.youtube.com/user/oldlukas#p/u/2/xV5pUNjf3Y0

Dynamic turns

http://www.youtube.com/user/oldlukas#p/u/3/t93lFXi4kCY

Intermediate turns

http://www.youtube.com/user/oldlukas#p/u/4/FDQOqqoZpsM
ski holidays
The bumps in FlyingStantoni, video look very much like the bumps under Tommuese chair above La Daile, they are much BIGGER than they appear in the video. the off piste later looks like further down just above the beggining of the chair.
Spent most of my L3 tech on the same slopes.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy