Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How fast has your gps clocked you at...

Poster: A snowHead
Do they still have that speed skiing track in les arcs ?
Was there about 10 years ago and clocked at 129kph/80mph.
Think it was about 40 euros for two runs - including rental of a helmet & pair of 240cm speed skis.
Absolute blast - was scouring the village next day looking for a racing suit to buy.
(Funny thing was the 'safety talk', some french guy talking quietly except every now & then he would make a cut throat sign and say la mort ! most helpful & reassuring)
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
maggi, I think you and I ski at exactly the right speed, don't you? wink
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Dr John wrote:
Patch, where did you clock that?

Was 2 or 3 years ago. Long, steepish section of red piste under Rosael chair, heading down to Orelle side of three valleys - forget the name of it. Was perfectly groomed, completely empty, no other slopes joining it, and has an extremely long run-out, which was just as well!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
RobinS wrote:
Oh, and no way would I want to go that fast other than on a controlled speed run.

Oh yeah.. Pull the other leg, pal Toofy Grin
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Patch, my maximum speed was set in the same place - sad thing is, I can't now remember what it was rolling eyes
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
No GPS but years ago at college, we used to wait at Plateau Rosa in Cervinia until the pisteurs kicked us out late afternoon. We then schussed 11km to town - my record was 11mins which makes it a 60kph average. That included a stop as the burn was too great to hold a tuck all the way !
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have clocked 70k on the speed trap on the Reiteralm,Schladming.
Makes the gut quake a bit......!
Had good skis and just waxed,and I have put on a bit.........!
Anyone beat that on that slope ?
Great fun,scare yourself a bit Cool
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

I think it's a pointless man thing. Like who can p!ss the highest and staring into an almost empty fridge

Laughing
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
maggi wrote:
I think it's a pointless man thing.
Do you mean a pointless thing done by a man, or a thing done by a pointless man?

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Wed 2-02-11 22:01; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
maggi wrote:
Hurtle wrote:
I've never knowingly gone through a speed check

Me neither. I think it's a pointless man thing. Like who can p!ss the highest and staring into an almost empty fridge rolling eyes .

Not at all! My friends and I love them, I've once returned to schladming just to redo the one there in fact, but despite pie eating efforts cannot top 70kph in it, it needs to be longer! It was my first ever run through it that started me thinking we needed helmets though - I honestly had no idea we were moving so fast. Never hit that level on normal slopes though - more like 50kph iirc - but we don't take the gps out often.

aj xx
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Freddie Paellahead, It's a great spot for that kind of thing
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hurtle wrote:
maggi, I think you and I ski at exactly the right speed, don't you? wink

Definitely!
rob@rar wrote:
Do you mean a pointless thing done by a man, or a thing done by a pointless man?

Erm, both? (Is there a difference? Madeye-Smiley ).
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

maggi, I think you and I ski at exactly the right speed, don't you?

So, that would be just the right speed for taking in the beautiful surroundings whilst being 100% in control and able to avoid all obstacles, be they snakes of 4 year olds, plaques de terre, or an inert body in the middle of the piste just over the brow of a hill, surrounded by four anxious friends (encountered one of those today, possibly a crashed pointless man still clutching his GPS).
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w wrote:
possibly a crashed pointless man still clutching his GPS

Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
immer schuss, without wanting to get all 'Chamonix' about it, I clocked 76k on the same run in December. It was well into the 'too fast to bail' region, and the longest hockey stop I've ever puled by some distance.
latest report
Assassin Creed,
Quote:

RobinS wrote:
Oh, and no way would I want to go that fast other than on a controlled speed run.

Oh yeah.. Pull the other leg, pal

Why would you, who don't know me or my skiing doubt what I say. I do not say it to make myself look more responsible, but because I am not bold/reckless enough to consider that skiing at in excess of 90kph on an open piste is safe for me.
latest report
pam w wrote:
So, that would be just the right speed for taking in the beautiful surroundings

Goodness gracious, that's what chairlifts are for Happy

pam w wrote:
whilst being 100% in control and able to avoid all obstacles

Is that while taking in the beautiful surrondings? Puzzled
snow report
smithski, seconded. And is any skier really 100% in control 100% of the time? I doubt it, and anyway I enjoy being slightly out of control (when and where the conditions allow, obv).

If 100% control is what you're after I'd suggest that skiing isn't the activity for you.
latest report
I downloaded the Ski Tracks iPhone app before my trip to La Plagne. The problem with the app is that it makes you want to better your no. 1 time everyday. On day 3 I clocked 65.7mph (ridiculously fast and horribly dangerous), which in my head meant I wanted a go at reaching 70mph.

I found the perfect red run for the attempt; steep, wide, groomed, empty. So launched myself down it. Picked up some good early speed, then as I tried to cut a corner to hit the steepest part of the run caught a lip, took a lot more air than I was comfortable with. 100m down the piste when I came to rest I was delighted that all I had was a bruised backside. My GPS had me at 60mph when I fell.

I'm off to Zermatt in a couple of weeks and am ready to break 70mph!
snow conditions
danno_c1, er, not exactly sure you're doing the whole GPS thing any favors to be honest mate. Don't take this the wrong way, but I hope it's only yourself you injure when (not if) you stack it in your attempts to grow a bit more hair on your chest.

If you're that serious about achieving a particular speed I suggest you invest in a proper GPS. The smartphone apps, as has been described in this thread, are extremely unreliable when it comes to top speed recording, so your quest to get to 70 is, ultimately, futile.
ski holidays
Dr John, I can assure you that danno_c1 would only attempy such things having made sure it was safe to do so first. Having been behind him (a considerable distance - I'm not as fast) during this attempt, I can confirm it was an empty piste.

This is definitely not a Half-term/Easter activity, but in the first couple of weeks in January, you can generally find enough space to go for it. And his quest to get to 70 is not futile, he may get there and just not know it - hardly the definition of futile.
snow report
Dr John, my girlfriend doesn't like hairy men so if I get a few chest hairs as a result of a bit of speed skiing I'm in trouble. I must end this madness.

As for injuring others, I'm aware of the skiiers code of conduct and adhere to it vigilantly. Thus my comment 'empty' piste.

The GPS thingys are amazing - the one I used may have a speed tracker, but the best thing about it is the great maps and break down run-by-run at the end of the day. Trully brilliant. The speed thing is just a bit of added fun if you're skiing in a group.
ski holidays
Callai, Futile: 1 - incapable of producing any result; ineffective; useless; not successful: 2. trifling; frivolous; unimportant

The first relates to using a smartphone GPS app to measure speed, the second relates to the exercise as a whole. With the exception of 'not successful' pretty much spot on.
ski holidays
And also Dr John, in an earlier post you yourself commented that you like to feel a little out of control when skiing in general. Isn't that asking for trouble too? Out of your comfort zone and a little out of control, a little bit of pace, then a patch of ice or a rogue stone and you could easily find yourself careering into someone.

And yes, by the dictionary definition, I suppose it is a little futile, but if he goes on those speed ratings, whether they are accurate or not, it can still be something to aim for no? If I was to get a commendation from work, stating I was the best - well there's no scientific data to back that up, but being told it and believing it is still nice.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Thu 3-02-11 13:18; edited 1 time in total
snow report
I've been using Ski Tracks as well, excellent isn't it! Far better than the battery hog that was motionx gps however that still has a place as you can download maps to it.

Record was 70km schussing an empty blue in Val Thorens with a tail wind

Regularly peaked up to 55 lapping the also empty white lady last week and despite wanting to 'beat' the record each time I did exactly the same speed, rather indicating that that was the end of my comfort zone for that terrain.
ski holidays
Callai, yep, absolutely. The key word here is "little". I humbly suggest that straight lining at 70mph, for anyone other than professional racers, renders the participant completely out of control.

ps, If you're not using the dictionary definition of words can you let us all know what/who's definition you are using please.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Thu 3-02-11 13:24; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Time to grow up Callai and danno_c1!! wink

Dr John, are you a real doctor or are you like Dr Fox?
snow report
danno_c1 wrote:
I'm off to Zermatt in a couple of weeks and am ready to break 70mph!

That would be half term week? In Zermatt? And you want to find somewhere quiet to top 70mph? Good luck mate !
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ChrisL, Not a real doc. Was listening to Walk on Gilded Splinters when I registered.
snow conditions
The app is certianly a lot of fun but I think if your only target is to get to 70mph then some of the skiers day out enjoyment is wasted. It's also likely to end up in injury of some sort, I've skied down 'empty' pistes only to find ppl cutting in from one side or children resting just below ridges, time to have a re-think boys.
snow conditions
Dr John, I was going with the (IMHO) more widely used definition of futile as pointless. I would say as long as there was a figure that changed logically (if not scientifically), then there is something to aim for, thus not pointless. I do see your point about it not being accurate though, renders it unuseable probably in any proper discussion.

ChrisL. As mentioned previously, these speed attempts are not made down a whole piste, where you're right, there are plenty of hidden areas and joining spots. However, open, steep, wide piste sections are quite difficult to hide on, and danno_c1 and company are quite particular in where they attempt these speeds. Maybe you should ski with us someday to judge for yourself?
snow report
smithski, I was thinking from Rothorn down to Fluhalp at around 11.55am. Reckon it will be really quiet then Wink
latest report
ChrisL wrote:
I've skied down 'empty' pistes only to find ppl cutting in from one side or children resting just below ridges

I think you'll find the official term for these individuals is "snowboarders" Toofy Grin

Seriously, the FIS code exists to protect slope users from themselves, as well as from others.

Quote:
Control of speed and skiing or snowboarding. A skier or snowboarder must move in control. He must adapt his speed and manner of skiing or snowboarding to his personal ability and to the prevailing conditions of terrain, snow and weather as well as to the density of traffic.

Without having seen danno_c1 (or anyone else for that matter) ski I cannot possibly judge the limits of his/her control. As long as what they do is not endangering others (do you really think they would tackle a 70mph attempt over a hidden ridge?) and they are prepared to take the personal risk then where's the problem? Skiing is exhilarating, is it not?
snow report
danno_c1 wrote:
smithski, I was thinking from Rothorn down to Fluhalp at around 11.55am. Reckon it will be really quiet then Wink

nah, do it after lunch, get a few beers inside you, a bit of dutch courage and you may top 80 Toofy Grin
snow conditions
ChrisL, you're quite right. I've skiied with some idiots who carelessly used this GPS to get a top speed regardless of safety concerns. He nearly took out a man going close to 60mph. Incomprehendably immature behaviour in my opinion.

Dr John, your concern for possible victims of my futile attempts are very admirable. Your smartphone point maybe valid, but next time your in your Mercedes drifting towards 90mph to let it stretch its legs you think about the human desire for speed that manifests itself almost everywhere in our society. Scrap that point completely if you drive a Vauxhall Nova.
ski holidays
smithski, there's the rub, innit. If they have the hill to themselves then carry on, don't mind us, but when can you ever guarantee that?

I'm going to start a fire now. I suggest the 65/70mph figure isn't correct. I reckon it's kph they're talking about, or the GPS was faulty in recording the run speed (as they are more often than not). I'm no slouch and vey much enjoy going fast, and 76kph through a speed gun is the fastest I'm aware of having achieved (other than the small initial thrill, it wasn't a particularly pleasant experience, and straight lining for the sake of it doesn't hold much appeal for me).

If they were very experienced skiers with some race training under their belt, race prepared skis and a lycra race suite then possibly. But the obsession with hitting a particular figure suggests they aren't very experienced skiers, and almost certainly not race trained because if they were they'd have achieved 70mph already.

*adopts crash position*
ski holidays
danno_c1 wrote:
Scrap that point completely if you drive a Vauxhall Nova.
Nah, getting a Nova up to 90 is akin to getting a pair of skis up to 70 in terms of watching your life flash in front of your eyes
latest report
BergenBergen, I got a mini clubman up to 75mph on the M40 a few years ago. The car was being held together by a potent mixture of fear and hope. Now I prefer to do fast but steady cruising in an Audi. You might say it's a perfect analogy for my skiing career.
snow report
BergenBergen, I won't tell you how fast I got mine too (1st car of mine a few years ago now!!) - Dr John will probably have a go at me!
latest report
Are you sure you mean mph guys not kph? Some of those speed seem awfully fast if so - ski coverage shows downhill races triggering the traps at 120-140 KILOMETERSph - i.e 75-85mph, on dedicated prepared slopes.

While I'm here: "If 100% control is what you're after I'd suggest that skiing isn't the activity for you." I couldn't disagree more, it is perfectly possible to ski in control enjoying the views, the company and the elegance and rhythm of the movements. Alright you are never 100% in control, people fall over WALKING, but practically a desire to stay well within your limits itsn't a barrier to enjoying skiing after the first few lessons. I certainly don't have to feel out of control to be having fun - in fact I'd claim even on my 'high speed' passes I am in control, I'm just that sort of a control freak, I would never include a ridge for example, or even a bend or bump in a high speed run, or any surface I wasn't sure of, withough shedding TONS of my speed before arrival. Doesn't mean I don't enjoy the speed sometimes, when it's clear and I can see to a stopping point.

If anyone sees me out on the slopes this year feel free to jump out in front of me to test my statement of control Wink I'm hard to miss at the moment in a Lime green jacket and pastel pink helmet NehNeh

aj xx
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy