Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New Zealand, July 4th-10th

Poster: A snowHead
Manda, it's pronounced f*ck-a-papa, and without any sniggering at all wink

Only the Happy Valley beginners' area was open, and it was full of giggling Japanese schoolgirls, none of whom had been shown how to get on or off a chairlift, and the freezing rain was horizontal. But I skied it for an hour anyway snowHead

In Queenstown now and going up to Coronet Peak tomorrow morning. I have a pair of shiny new hire boots (this year's Salomon, very comfy) and Volkl 5-stars to play with. Bring it on!

The Lions was disappointing, but I don't care as there is a mountain outside my hotel window with snow on it snowHead

Back with more reports as and when I get a chance. Hope you're all enjoying the summer weather wink
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Coronet Peak snow report today said: "Great skiing and riding on soft, spring-like snow." Both the 8am and 12.30pm reports said that.

Moosepig said: "Great skiing my a*se!!"

It was a dripping, sodden slush festival with all the appeal of a melted ice cream, from the top of the mountain to the base. And that was at 10am! Having made the mistake of believing the snow report and driven up the hill, bought my day pass and kitted up, I splished and sploshed my way through the hoardes of poor, unfortunate beginners (what a way to spend your first day on skis) to the express lift, which then ground to a halt while they loaded 47 Japanese sightseeing tourists on at the top for their trip back down. An hour and a half - and only 3 runs - later, I gave up for the day as I was in danger of having to swap my goggles for a snorkel.

I don't mind missing a few days' skiing while I'm here, there's plenty else to do - so come on Coronet Peak, BE MORE HONEST ABOUT YOUR SNOW CONDITIONS!!!! $70+ for 90 minutes of poor skiing is, frankly, a rip off.

As for the resort itself - well gourmet skiing this ain't. Nowhere to change, huge queues for everything and inefficient staff at the end of them, storage lockers that cost $2 an hour, plus impatient and discourteous instructors on the beginners' course (my wife was trying out skiing for the first time today - needless to say she is not especially hooked!). Not a great advert for New Zealand I'm afraid. Maybe it's just Queenstown - which at the moment, thanks to the Festival of Winter, is full of rude people, and that seems to include the locals. Shame really, the rest of New Zealand has been totally and absolutely wonderful (with the exception of the rugby results). I won't bother with Coronet Peak again on this trip.

The weather systems we have at the moment are going to preclude decent skiing for several days anyway, so I'll probably leave the Remarkables and Cardrona until later in the week. Ciao for now!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
moosepig,
Sounds to me like nothing has changed at Coronet Peak since I went there in 1990 ! Be interested to know more of your thoughts on Queentown, Earlier in this thread I got castigated for rubishing the town. Sad
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
moosepig, bad luck - exactly this time last year (first week of July) it was extremely cold, and superb conditions, if mainly artificial snow... No change for the queues though!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
moosepig, I found that a really interesting report. Thanks. Hopefully the operators of the resort will read it one day and reflect on it.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
moosey yep, NZ never sells its ski fields as gourmet. For NZers it's the time on the snow that counts, not the time off it wink Sorry, I should've mentioned it. Embarassed In fact what's there is perfectly servicable, but it is a culture shock to Euro skiers used to Continental comforts.

It doesn't help that you were lured up the mountain on false pretences....If it's any comfort, Kiwis also often zoom up the mountain on the basis reports from ski field management of good snow, only to find out upon arrival that management had massaged the truth. It IS frustrating, and you're not alone - the whole of NZ's skiing fraternity hates the situation.

On behalf of all NZ, please accept my humble appologies for the rude behaviour of my compatriots. The staff up their own Peak at Coronet sound like they need a swift kick up the ar$se. Sigh. Evil or Very Mad Customer service is one thing NZ does well and, considering NZ's principle trade is tourism, we can't afford a few idiots up a mountain going off-message. Please let me know if staff at other resorts are as bad so I can go kick the relevant people in the shins when I'm home this xmas. BTW, you should fill in the ski field's customer satisfaction form - it WILL get read and acted upon.

You lucked out on the snow - it should be pretty much perfect by now....
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Well, in the interests of balanced reporting, I guess I ought to add some positives... wink

The views of Queenstown and Lake Wakatipu from the top of Coronet Peak were outstanding. The hill itself seems well managed and I'm sure if the snow had been better (i.e. if it had been snow) then I would have been more positive about the whole experience. The staff at the Peak were friendly and helpful - just inefficient. I joined a queue for lift tickets in sixth place. 20 minutes later - no kidding - I finally got my ticket.

Manda, fear not, I haven't been put off New Zealand by my experience yesterday. In fact my wife and I are already discussing when we can come back and do the country properly without the rugby getting in the way wink

David, I emailed the resort.

stanton, Queenstown is okay. It's not like the rest of New Zealand, but it's not gone completely tacky. It's probably not fit for Queen Victoria any more (which is how it got its name) but the surroundings are still breathtaking, and there are more things to do here than there is time to do them. This week it's the Festival Of Winter, which is apparently an excuse for youg people who normally wear beanie hats indoors to take them outside and make noise in the streets.

New Zealand is to be recommended to everyone, it's a great place. As for the skiing - it could have been worse!! snowHead

My limited research shows that The Remarkables is the place to go to for (relatively) cold temperatures at the moment so that's where I'm off to tomorrow morning. Report to follow.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
moosepig, balanced? That's only for skiing innit, not reporting? snowHead

BTW, for future reference queuing for everything an NZ ski field is normal, but can be avoided. It starts during the journey up (especially during snowfall up the mountain which you only discover upon hitting the +2hr wait halfway up the road where it becomes mandatory for non-4WDs owners to fit chains), and continues through ticket purchase, obtaining any refreshments at the mid-point station cafe, and includes the apres drive back down the hill (when you again hit the +2hr wait at the half-way point where everyone stops to remove chains).

Delay avoidance techniques, NZ style:
1) Purchase tickets in town - try the local Tourism office, or the ski field's urban ticketing office (e.g. Queenstown )
2) BYO own food/drink.
3) Breakfast pre-dawn, and set off your drive up the hill at least 1hr before the lifts are due to start.
4) Drive a 4WD.

To determine whether the ski-field snow report is luring you up up the mountain on false pretences: the evening beforehand, consult a local skier in their natural habitat i.e. bars/pubs. Kiwis are good at reading their local weather patterns and a good skier will be willing and able to tell you whether the next day's report is a waste of the paper it's printed on (don't be surprised if they glance out the window and accurately predict the hour at which the snow will (or not) start falling).

And the next morning, after you the kettle on for breakfast i.e at dawn, phone the ski field direct and ask someone who's actually staring out the window at the slopes (you can still do this at most ski fields....)
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks Manda, good advice Happy

Went up to The Remarkables this morning, arrived in my 4WD 30 minutes before the first lift and got my day pass without queuing at all (points 3 and 4 above covered nicely I think snowHead )

The skiing was as good as it's going to get this time of year with the amount of snow we've had here. Firm in the morning, softening through lunch and going slushy in the afternoon. I called it a day at 1pm, it had started to get too cut up by then to keep my interest.

Remarkably (ho ho) the queue at the cafe was quite short.

All in all a much better experience, one that left me with the proper apres-ski grin Twisted Evil

Cardrona later in the week - watch this space.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Cardrona on Saturday, conditions good - low temperatures and some fresh snowfall have finally arrived in the southern Alps and all the ski areas have benefitted. Cardrona was the best skiing experience yet in NZ, with about 4cm of fresh snow overnight. The new express lift was open for the first time, though it kept stopping, rather reducing its expressness. The skiing iself was good, although some marked trails ought to have been shut for ack of snow cover (one black run I did was literally black, as the lower section was nothing more than ice-covered rock). The sun shone to begin with, making for very pleasant skiing and fantastic views. Later on, low cloud moved in, causing near white-out conditions near the top and flat light at best elsewhere - by that time the trails had started to cut up quite a bit (it was very busy) so I called it a day around 1pm.

Coronet Peak today (Sunday) - a much better experience all round than last Monday's! Cold temperatures and a bit of fresh snow, and no queues for anything snowHead Managed to ski most of the runs before the thinnish snow had been skied off the slopes revealing the icy base beneath. So I take back what I said about CP last Monday, they must just have been having a bad day wink

That's it for skiing for this trip. Off to Auckland tomorrow, back to the UK on Friday.

P.S. Manda, we waved to your mum but she didn't see us wink
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
sounds just like Scottish skiing..........
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
moosepig, mmm yep sking in NZ on a great day is just fantastic. On a crap day it can be really really awful.
In fact it's downright dangerous to keep skiing when the weather closes in and I'm glad you stopped at 1pm at Cardona! It's so easy to wander off-piste in whiteout and go over a cliff/never be heard from again - having seen the scenery, I suspect you know what I'm talking about.

Sorry 'bout the snow conditions - just goes to show that early-season snow's not just a problem the northern Alps wink snowHead
Wot a pity you're leaving before the better snow conditions kick in (sorry, I'm rubbing it in aren't I) Toofy Grin

BTW, my mum says she's sorry she didn't wave back - she was distracted by the rugby Little Angel
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Manda, yeah we're in Auckland now and it snowed in Queenstown the day after we left! snowHead Never mind, only another 6 months before I go skiing again...

I know what you mean about the cliffs and all that, especially as the terrain is so open and trails are only vaguely marked.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
they're marked? Shocked wink Laughing

Hope you had fun flying home (I presume you're mid-flight by the time I post this...)
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Moosepig was actually 'home'. That is he'd been home, dropped his stuff and was having a pint (or quite a few I believe) in the Waterloo Arms, which doubles as home.
latest report
Hic! wink

Tip for jet lag sufferers: when arriving at your destination, head for a decent pub or bar and drink solidly until it's bedtime in your new time zone. Works a treat Very Happy

Manda, okay "marked" was perhaps exaggerating things a little snowHead

Off out to my other home now to continue the process of jetlag adjustment Twisted Evil
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy