Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New Zealand, July 4th-10th

Poster: A snowHead
Any snowHeads around the Queenstown area of NZ's south island between July 4th and 10th?

I'm planning to ski Coronet Peak, The Remarkables and Cardrona if time and weather permit. Will be there with Mrs Moosepig, who's a complete beginner, so skiing companion appreciated for when she's in lessons! snowHead It'd be good to meet up with any snowHeads who happen to be around.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
go on, just rub it in why don't u? Wink

Urgh, how long is it till Winter?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
admin wrote:
Urgh, how long is it till Winter?

In Queenstown, about 4 weeks Wink

Well you did ask me to rub it in! snowHead
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Just to rub a little more.....

In the last 3 days Cardrona has gone from looking like this:

... to this:

snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ahh but easy come - easy go! Twisted Evil
Ha Ha! bet that got u worried
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
moosepig wrote:
Any snowHeads around the Queenstown area of NZ's south island between July 4th and 10th?

I'm planning to ski Coronet Peak, The Remarkables and Cardrona if time and weather permit. Will be there with Mrs Moosepig, who's a complete beginner, so skiing companion appreciated for when she's in lessons! snowHead It'd be good to meet up with any snowHeads who happen to be around.
Coronet Peak - click to enlargeHannou was there for the first week of July last year - great conditions, although mainly artificial snow after a very cold month of June.. she skied Coronet Peak mainly. Loved Queenstown. If you see any of the QAST team on the slopes, she says "Hi"!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
admin, Laughing Laughing Laughing

I must check to see whether the clouds in NZ really do stay in exactly the same place for 4 days wink
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Mentioned before on another thread.

I can never understand how the kiwis let Queentown develop into the tacky tourist dump it was in 1990 so I cant imagine what its like now. As for the skiing on my visit. The remarkables were well quite Un-remarkable. Coronet & Cardona were disapoiting. The best of the bunch around there was Treble Cone. Best I found on the South Island was Mount Hutt . If you can afford it the best skiing NZ offer is via Helicopter.

Well, Im going back there are 15 years to see if its got any better Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
moosepig, have fun! Am v. jealous, as I'm not back there until xmas, by which time the snow will have just finished melting. Sigh.

Say 'ullo to my Mum if you happen to pass Morrinsville...

Yes, as clouds in NZ don't stay still longer than 4nanosecs, let alone 4days, would be a bluddy miracle if you arrived to find the slopes in the same condition as the 26th/30th photos.... wink

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Wed 1-06-05 20:21; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
stanton, with any luck it's undergone the same revival in the late 1990s as the rest of the country.

Although first things first NZ doesn't actually have "resorts" of any kind and, even as a (very loosely defined) ski "resort" town, Queenstown is an anomaly for NZ in that it's residents are exclusively exotic tourists. New Zealanders who work in Queenstown don't live in Queenstown, they live outside it and commute in to work in the town, or up to the slopes. Kiwis living north, say in & around Christchurch, don't bother with Queenstown and commute up to Mt Hutt. North Islanders don't as a rule bother with the South Island slopes (they ski Ruapehu - the ski "towns" servicing those slopes are traditional rural NZ towns without any of the awfulness of Queenstown).

So Queenstown is what it was/is precisely because of foreign tourists.

In terms of quality of prepared pistes I've never noticed a big difference in NZ c.f. Europe. However sheer mileage is always going to be an issue throughout NZ simply because the population base has never grown sufficiently to support signficant expansion of existing ski fields. For that to happen either NZ prohibits emmigration & birth control thereby overnight quadrupeling population levels above the existing 4million residents on a land mass the size of GB and nearly as much snowcover as the Alps, or the entire European ski market moves to NZ for the season. Given that's not going to happen in our lifetime, heliskiing (of which there is LOTS) is plentiful if you're finding limited enjoyment on the prepared pistes.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Manda, am sure to have fun - thanks! snowHead

Queenstown is going to be even more full of "exotic tourists" while I'm there as it's the Festival Of Winter all that week Mr. Green

As for the quality of the skiing - I'm only early intermediate and will be quite happy with whatever limited piste skiing is available. The novelty of skiing at all in July will probably only just be wearing off as we have to leave. Only 3 weeks in NZ in all, too - nowhere near enough.

Only snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead sleeps before we fly to Sydney Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Looking good according to this snow report from Natives
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
moosepig, ooooh yes. Much cavorting and drinking then. And the Lions? I forget whether you're booked in for the matches.

Sorry 'bout the rant re: Queenstown, but I'm feeling rather patriotic right now.

Plenty of on-piste action around Queenstown. Total prepared trails for each ski field is about the same as a middling to smallish French resort - although as per the USA a few chairlifts feed a large number of different trails. No doubt you'll have worked out by now that if by some miracle you eventually did manage to exhaust the whole of Cardrona/Remarks/Coronet/Trebble Cone's charms, there's still Mt (s)Hutt outside Christchurch, and Turoa/Whakapapa in the North Island.

The novelty of NZ never wears off snowHead

kuwait_ian - blasphemer. You mean www.snow.co.nz, don't you?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Manda, I take wherever Google finds it. wink
Here's the Aussie one if anyone is interested. http://www.ski.com.au/
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

No. Not interested. Now stop it rolling eyes

snowHead snowHead wink
snow report
How about TVNZ - happy with them, Manda ????
Quote:
The southerly snap that has swept across parts of the country may have caused headaches for some, but it is all good news for the South Island's skifields.

Complete with a $7 million makeover Mt Hutt's season starts on Saturday, being the first of the South Island's fields to open.

The makeover on Mt Hutt includes new trails and a six-seater chairlift that will give skiers a 1,400 metre ride to the top of the skifields in just five minutes.
latest report
Manda,

Im sure the scenery has not changed but as for the town itself are you agreeing with me ie; Queenstown is a Shithole ?

As for Kiwis comuuting to Queenstown to work its much the same in the States like the towns of Aspen & Telluride hardly any workers live in town they have been forced out down the valley's upwards to 100 miles to live Sad

Back to NZ. I skied the North Island as well & the year I went the North Island had the best snow in years and the snowpack was much better than the South.
latest report
Mt. Hutt is open - good article from Manda's preferred site.
ski holidays
stanton, your manners are appalling, particularly for someone who's never lived in the country....

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Thu 9-06-05 15:25; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
kuwait_ian, yes TVNZ is on the approved list - if only because I worked for them for a few years. snowHead wink

moosepig, only snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead sleeps to go?
latest report
Manda wrote:
stanton, your manners are appalling, particularly for someone who's never lived in the country....

Why are you surprised? New Zealanders don't have a monopoly on bad manners (despite their efforts).
snow report
Manda, only snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead sleeps until we fly; then another snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead sleeps until we hit the slopes Twisted Evil

Coronet Peak opens this weekend (Jun 11th), Cardrona and The Remarkables a fortnight later. Can't wait! snowHead
ski holidays
Manda,

I have not "lived" there but I have been there a few times to ski and based on my ski travels around the globe IMHO Queenstown has just gone over the top with the tourist tat/hype. OK, it may of changed & improved in the last 15years somehopw I doubt that judging by the amount of TV Holiday/Travel shows we see on our TV.
I will judge for myself when I get back there this season Smile
latest report
Coronet Peak had record crowds for their opening.
http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3311059a11,00.html
Quote:
Coronet Peak staff handed out glasses of bubbly to the 50 or so people in the queue when the lifts were opened 15 minutes early.
Nice touch. Might have been even more people up there had low cloud not closed Queenstown airport for the whole day affecting 10 flights. Good luck with your travels, moosepig.
snow report
richmond Oi! Speak for yerself!!! [Shocked goes off into a hump, muttering something nearly distinguishable about blimmin Poms, grrumph]
In fact we're not bad mannered at all. Bad tempered, tho, if you pi$$ us off.... wink snowHead )

I wasn't surprised at all by stanton's comments. Offended, but not surprised. He has a habit of mindlessly rubbishing some resorts he's occassionally been too, without justification or tact, which I take to be a stanton thing c.f. a Netherland's thing.
latest report
kuwait_ian damn damn damn. I'm stuck here in Southampton.

Sigh. rolling eyes
snow conditions
Me too, but only for another snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead sleeps, during which time I will be helping to run Southampton Beer Festival Madeye-Smiley
latest report
moosepig, now you're really making us jealous. Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
moosepig wrote:
...........which time I will be helping to run Southampton Beer Festival Madeye-Smiley

But what about Southampton SKI Show?
latest report
Manda,

If its any consolation. I thought Mt Hutt, Whakapapa & Turoa were excellent Very Happy
snow report
boredsurfin, Southampton SKI Show is sadly no more Sad The group that took over London and Birmingham also took over Southampton and had already decided by last years show that it was to be the last, I guess it didn't have enough profit margin for them Mad
ski holidays
stanton, I think so too but I'm an (ex-) Jaffa, so I would do.

moosepig, nearly there! snowHead to go!!!
ski holidays
Just the one sleep to go, and I'm off to go and get it right now snowHead

If any snowHeads do crawl out of the NZ woodwork in early July, PM me and I'll hope to meet up with you.
latest report
Hello from Singapore! snowHead

Big recommendation to anyone flying anywhere down here - Singapore Airlines business class. It's totally and utterly fab! A 12-hour flight has just whizzed by, worth every last penny. I'm actually looking forward to the 7+ hour flight to Sydney now! Oh, and the business class airport lounges are the dog's nads, especially the one at Changi. And only about 2.5 times the price of a cattle class ticket!
snow report
moosepig, I was going to ask what an earth possesed you to post at this time of night but then saw where you were. Embarassed
snow report
D G Orf wrote:
I was going to ask what an earth possesed you to post at this time of night

Do hope these rowdies over in Suggestions & Requests didn't keep you up D G. wink

Almost on topic - one of my best ever flights was Cairo-Dubai, business class on Singapore Airlines in a brand new A340 with active sound cancelling system throughout the cabins. What a shame it was only 4 hours long. A man can only drink so much Champagne. snowHead

Curiously however the Singapore girls cabin crew out of uniform and make up are often nothing special to look at. They often wear contact lenses on duty (how does that square with safety in the event of a fire??) and many use NHS style glasses when in mufti. Mad {BTW the only reason I saw so many out of uniform is we used the same hotel. I didn't get lucky.}

Enjoy the trip, moosepig. Keep in touch when you can.
snow report
moosepig, yeah yeah, make me jealous. Evil or Very Mad
I'll be in cattle class en route to NZ at xmas - I drool over the idea of business/first class, but domestic fiscal restraints make it a mere fantasy.... Crying or Very sad

Hope you're taking full advantage of Singapore Airline's horizontal seating arrangements ... snowHead

Where are you now?
snow report
Yo from Sydney!!

Having a fab time, wish you were all here! Oh hang on - by the wonders of the interweb, you sort of are all here, virtually. Twisted Evil

We fly to Christchurch tomorrow and will be there for the 1st Lions test, then off to the North Island - Turoa/Whakapapa here I come with any luck.

Manda, not wishing to rub it in at all (I reserve that for his Adminship Wink ) but yes, the horizontal seating is sheer class Very Happy

Hope to check in from the slopes somewhere. Take care all!
snow conditions
Me again, this time from Christchurch, NZ Very Happy

It's the first test later today - GO LIONS!!!

Hoping to ski Whakapapa early next week snowHead - I'll be back to let you know how it goes.
snow report
moosepig, and how does one pronounce the name of the ski field on the eastern side of Mt Ruapehu? (sorry, could't resist - it's been a while). Anyway. Did you make it to the North Island snow?

Hope you weren't too dissapointed by the Lions - or is *that* you've not posted since the match? Shocked wink snowHead
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy