Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Whats more extreme Snowboarding or Skiing !!! Please Help !!!

Poster: A snowHead
Nowely wrote:
Mr Technique, Look follow this link it explains the sensation seeking scale and shows the numerous studies that it has been used in.
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1145/is_n7_v33/ai_21024320/?tag=content;col1

'Cigarette smoking makes you a bigger thrill seeker' - PURE GOLD rolling eyes
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If you look and read what i have written rather than just thinking your smart and making comments that aren’t correct you would understand. The sensation seeking scale is broken down into 4 subscales. So smoking wouldn’t come under the thrill seeking sub scale. Also that just means that studies that have been taken on people that smoke turned out to have a higher sensation seeking score that the general public. It’s not a matter of whether or not you believe it that’s what happened.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Nowely, will you share the results with us?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
laundryman, Yes mate im going to post the results on here once im finished writing them all up.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Nowely, will make for interesting reading Smile just out of interest how many replies have you had so far and what sample size are you needing/hoping for?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Nowely, good, done it now!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
kevindonkleywood, Im looking to get 300 skiers and 300 snowboarders. so far I have had 160 responses which is good i only started it on friday so is going well. but a large precentage of that is skiers and i need it to be even by the end. So im on the hunt for snowboarders at the moment lol.
But i fell 300 from each will give a good overview of the ski/snowboard population.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Do you know of any other good snowboard forums?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
SCUK, but you may get a similar reaction (not quite as much as a grilling) as on here!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Nowely, doesn't Portsmouth have a student snowsports club?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Lizzard, Yea see i did think about going down that route of all uni snowsports club. But everyone is of a similar age at university so i wont get the range of results that im looking for.

But thank you. Smile
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
http://bb.graysontrays.com/

snowboarders abound
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks Smile
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Nowely wrote:
Lizzard, Yea see i did think about going down that route of all uni snowsports club. But everyone is of a similar age at university so i wont get the range of results that im looking for.

But thank you. Smile

Everyone on here is between 57 and 61.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Mr Technique, That would be good because then i have other forums where other people are of similar younger ages so that would give me a good spread.
snow report
Mr Technique wrote:

Everyone on here is between 57 and 61.

I don't fit in then. Madeye-Smiley But only by one year. Sad

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 10-10-10 19:42; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Mr Technique, No I'm not 62. Shocked
ski holidays
I started the survey but gave up. Too often I agreed with both alternatives or partly agreed/disagreed with both about equally, or couldn't agree with either. In a large number my verbal answer would start "that depends". In one case ("I am not interested in experience for its own sake".)I couldn't imagine anyone agreeing. Experience of what? Everything?

It does seem to me that your sample (apart from self-selecting themselves as those who like filling in questionnaires) is going to be atypical in that it will cut out those who don't like tossing a mental coin or simply lying to answer a question .

Can I fill it in missing out the questions where I disagreed or agreed with both, or agreed/disagreed fairly equally? I quite understand that the questions do not require that we agree or disagree fully with either answer but simply have a slight inclination in one direction.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sun 10-10-10 21:45; edited 2 times in total
snow report
Careful snowball, manicpb and Schuss In Jackboots will get awfy cross if you dare to challenge the academic excellence of Sam's rigorously peer reviewed and frequently lauded questionnaire!
snow conditions
snowball, I understand that some questions are hard to answer, but the questionnaire is made for the whole population so obviously with only 2 fore choice answers there is no way an answer will fit everyone, that why you just need to answer to which you feel fits you best. Im sorry but you are forced to answer all questions as each answer has a value to your overall sensation seeking score.
latest report
clarky999, I agree saying we used this crap emthod to try and measure this and it didn't work because it was a crap method is always a surefire winner.

Quote:

Well to become a credited scientists your work needs to be credited by other scientists that also agree with their ideas or theories

Ignoring the last part which is patently false how many scientists get "credited" when they can't spell? Send a misspelt article into any journal and it won't even get sent for peer-review.
snow report
On a scale of 1 to 10, how satisfied were you with the questionnaire?

1 ............................................... 5 ...........................................10
Entirely dissatisfied---------------Unsatisfied------------Not at all satisfied
ski holidays
Mr Technique, Why are you going out of your way to try and ruin my study?
ski holidays
Am I? How am I doing that then? I thought you said you had hundreds of respondents.
ski holidays
By the way, is "Whats more extreme Snowboarding or Skiing !!!" going to be the exact title of your esteemed thesis? With that exact punctuation?
latest report
Although to answer your question properly, I'm trying to ruin your study because you are a barely literate spammer with a poor grasp of scientific reasoning, and I hope to be complaining to your manager that my Big Mac was cold and improperly pregnated with gherkins sometime next year.
ski holidays
The questions might be random, but if they were predictable then there would be no point in the questionnaire!

This guy is just trying to complete their dissertation so rather than question the research methods (which he is probably more qualified to do!) why not just complete the questionnaire or choose not to?

I am guessing that it is a bit too late to change the way in which the research is gathered, so to question the survey would be counter productive to what Sam is trying to achieve.

Sorry to preach, but I went through a similar process for my degree and all I wanted was to finish my research and get some answers (even if they were flawed).
snow report
Wardster00 wrote:
......Sorry to preach, but I went through a similar process for my degree and all I wanted was to finish my research and get some answers (even if they were flawed).

In other words it was OK to hand in any old rubbish - but it had to be handed in. rolling eyes .
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mr Technique wrote:
Although to answer your question properly, I'm trying to ruin your study because you are a barely literate spammer with a poor grasp of scientific reasoning, and I hope to be complaining to your manager that my Big Mac was cold and improperly pregnated with gherkins sometime next year.

Bit harsh dude, and you are getting a bit OTT about this... It's only the internet after all, chill out, have a drink, and maybe don't read the thread if it pisses you off so much.
snow report
Done. Didn't seem too bad to me!
I must be like, totally super extreme, dude.
snow report
clarky999,
Quote:

maybe don't read the thread if it pisses you off so much.
I think he just sees it as a golden opportunity to say 'look at me'. wink
ski holidays
Thank you people im glad some people are chilled out and are pleases to help out. and i really agree if you dont want to do it then thats fine. but thank you to everyone that has im glad to have people on my side for once rather than being all big time and know it alls (well they think they are anyway).

Thanks

Peace.
ski holidays
Nowely wrote:
answer has a score that adds to your final sensation seeking score. So as much as I respect your opinion's I’m going to go with the 'Dr' and believe that the questionnaire does give accurate results and with the scientists that have used it in many experiments to determine the sensation seeking trait.

Your quite right, I know nothing about this subject but I did find it interesting reading.

It's not a dig at you, though you did miss the guidance on completing the form in your original post. And, I am concerned that some of the questions are structured differently to other similar surveys, does this not change the weighting of the answers?

It's more a dig at your experts for continuing to use a structure which may appear to work but also appear to be normalised to cultural and social values in mid-western Americans in the 70's, loved the 'far out groups like hippies and artists' (and yes I have read your reference to other works).

BTW have you read these articles?

http://epm.sagepub.com/content/62/4/728.abstract

http://jonjayray.tripod.com/zuck.html

For anyone else this explains the traits scoring system http://wsm.wsu.edu/s/we.php?id=200
latest report
anarchicsaltire, Thanks yea i have read papers that critique my method of measurement not that exact one so thanks for finding it lol But if you want to research so for Jeffery Jensen Arnett he is one of Zuckerman’s main critiques and designed other ways to measure sensation seeking. But as to 'jonjayray' that was written before the scale V was made and wasn’t published so i can’t use that as a point of reference.

But there are critiques to every method if any psychology or any science really. While there are critiques of this method there are also many people that stand by it. As in that sage publication states it has been used in over 240 publications. He may have found them invalid but that is down to his own personal analysis. But thank you I will read that full article tomorrow in uni and use it in my dissertation in my critique of the questionnaire.

Its not an exact science not everyone is going to agree with one method people always will have differing opinions I have just chosen to use Zuckerman’s it doesn’t mean its 100% correct or that any method is. But search Jeffery Jensen Arnett for good reading if you do not agree with Zuckerman’s methods Smile
ski holidays
I'm a boring tv watching old couch potato most of the time, answered as truthfully as I could, but still managed to get 34/40 for sensation seeking, 9/10 Boredom Susceptibility, 8/10 Disinhibition, 7/10 Experience Seeking, 10/10 Thrill and Adventure Seeking - I wish! Laughing Laughing Madeye-Smiley rolling eyes wink
latest report
Ha Ha thanks for doing it, I will post the results of my study on here once im done.

Chow
snow report
Mr Technique wrote:
Careful snowball, manicpb and Schuss In Jackboots will get awfy cross if you dare to challenge the academic excellence of Sam's rigorously peer reviewed and frequently lauded questionnaire!

I realise I've taken your bait and responded to your trolling but would like to point out I have posted that I feel the questionnaire is flawed but do not feel the need to force my view down anyones mouth.

I'm sure you have raised this topic to the top of the page many times and the OP has had more filled in thanks to your bumping! If he passes I'm sre he'll thank you personally! Laughing [/img]
snow report
My results are pretty much as I, or anyone who knows me well, would expect:
19/40 for sensation seeking, 6/10 boredom susceptibility, 4/10 disinhibition, 6/10 experience seeking, 3/10 adventure seeking.
(I don't think this has anything to do with age, I'd probably have scored lower when I was younger!)
snow conditions
oooh did I miss the scoring bit?

Hurtle, I would agree I would definitely have scored way lower when I was younger, Way Way lower.......god! i was boring Sad
latest report
kevindonkleywood, Bottom of my post, six messages up, similar survey has scoring for form at the end Toofy Grin
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy