Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Whats more extreme Snowboarding or Skiing !!! Please Help !!!

Poster: A snowHead
Question 14... it's a sting operation!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
holidayloverxx,
Quote:

There's a banner ad Shocked . I'm out

Hottest Colombian Women
100s Ravishing Colombian Women Seeking Men for Chat, Dating & Love
AmoLatina.com

Shocked wink the banner ads are directly linked to your browsing history, check your cookies LOL wink
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Couldn't resist but look and after trying to honestly answer the first 15 questions felt I was not giving a true reflection in my answers so aborted, sorry!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Question 6 just made me laugh out loud. Tequila, anyone?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Actually, given the number of dodgy questionnaires that appear on snowHeads, I do wonder a bit about academic standards in our universities. It would appear that the model being used by the OP is seriously defective: so, from an academic viewpoint, what is the point of her conducting research on this basis? (I blame her teachers, not her, obviously.)
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hurtle, seconded
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I too baled out after Q5. Bloody awful spelling too rolling eyes
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Being forced to lie simply to give and answer to a compulsory question can't be right, can it? I tried to give the 'most' truthful answer as requested, but for example on the homosexuality question I'm forced to decide if I would 'like' to meet homosexuals or 'stay away' from them. The answer is absolutly neither, if I meet a homosexual whilst going about my business then so be it, but there is definately no 'truthful' answer to either option for me. Puzzled
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
some people seem to think i should have created the questionnaire myself and seem to think that this questionnaire wouldnt measure what i want it too. But why would anyone seem to think that a questionnaire created by an 3rd year undergraduate student would be more reliable and give better results than a questionnaire created by a credited professor that dedicated most of his research to the study of sensation seeking. Yes there are some flaws to a force choice questionnaire there always will be, but the answers need to be forced as each answer has a score that adds to your final sensation seeking score. So as much as I respect your opinion's I’m going to go with the 'Dr' and believe that the questionnaire does give accurate results and with the scientists that have used it in many experiments to determine the sensation seeking trait. So therefore I personally would expect a 3rd year student to use of the most reliable and valid ways to gather thier results in their dissertation, but 'hay' that’s just me obviously.

If you wish to research sensation seeking or Dr Marvin Zuckerman follow the link bellow. It’s got some quite good stuff that you will have access to rather than the academic journals written by other scientists where I get my information from!

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1145/is_n7_v33/ai_21024320/?tag=content;col1
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Also could anyone recommend any other good forums for skiers or snowboarders as i need as many people as possible to fill in my questionnaire.
Thanks
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
TGR Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3

newschoolers

http://www.newschoolers.com/ns/forums/forums

hope you have an asbestos suit Very Happy
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Nowely, www.natives.co.uk
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
kevindonkleywood, Thanks buddy !!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rayscoops, Thanks Very Happy
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Done, but I don't really get how this can in any way decide which is more extreme between skiing and boarding. Particularly as the answer is clearly neither. Both can be done to any level of extremity. It just depends on the individual.
snow conditions
kevindonkleywood,
Quote:

TGR

Quote:

hope you have an asbestos suit

Laughing Laughing you have an evil streak i see
ski holidays
el nombre, The purpose isn’t to find out which sport is more extreme as such, that is just what i put as the thread title. but the purpose of my study is to see if there are any differences in the level of sensation seeking between skiers and snowboarders in general. Then higher sensation scores have been linked to more extreme sports, so it’s all just in a general cause obviously there will be extremes for each sport but I’m just looking to generalise, its not going to be an exact answer that impossible.
snow report
Nowely, I've done your survey, given that many of the questions were 'would you like to' rather than 'would you' I've made a fairly odd selection in some areas that might not be expected. There is a whole lot of difference to thinking that you might like to do something and actually asking would you ACTUALLY do something wink
snow conditions
I'm surprised you have been allowed to do this dissertation topic...

Especially as everyone has a different definition of "extreme".

Good luck anyway.
ski holidays
I'd like to hear your definition of an extreme sport.
snow conditions
Swirly, was that directed at me? If so, I'm not saying skiing isn't but there are varying degrees of extremity...
snow conditions
Swirly, An extreme sport can also be described as an alternative sport which either ideologically or practically provides alternatives to the mainstream. Also the sport must contain a higher level of risk when being participated in. Thats a breif desciption of an extreme sport from my research.
ski holidays
Nowely, how do you define how extreme one sport is? Especially as some may view some scenarios as a higher level of risk whereas others wouldn't.
ski holidays
Timmaah, I’m not trying to determine how extreme one sport is though. My study is to see if there is a difference in the sensation seeking scores between skiers and snowboarders and if one is higher than the other then that sport could be believed to be perceived as more extreme sport or with more levels of risk. As to why then the higher sensation seeker may want to participate in that sport, its not an exact science as everyone has differing opinions I know. The Main focus of the study is to just look for any differences between age groups, gender, or ski/snowboard’s sensation seeking scores and to whether a higher sensation seeking score could lead to more possibility of conflict on the slopes. I’m not trying to determine myself what makes an extreme sport extreme or how extreme it is as such its just a higher sensation seeking score within its participants could lead to a higher perception of risk being portrayed in that sport.
snow report
Timmaah, no sorry, I can see why you thought it might have been.

Nowely, more people die fishing and I'd put money on there being more injuries per participant playing football than doing snowsports. Frisbee golf isn't exactly mainstream either.

At a guess I'd say less than 0.01% of skiers and boarders ever ride at a level that could be considered "extreme" by which I mean put themselves in regular situations where a mistake could have serious consequences on terrain where an accident could easily occur. If you'd said a sport which has been marketed to show an elevated risk level based on the activities of a few participants I might have more sympathy. There is nothing extreme about cruising between coffee/vin chaud stops. Maybe you could make it extreme by sticking three king cobras down your pants while attaching you ski tips to a polar bear with rabies but that smacks of trying.

Yours,

A (non-extreme) boarder.
snow conditions
Yes but being extreme has nothing to do with the injury levels and snowsports and sports like fishing and football cant even be compared as to the participation numbers are no where near. Also the definition is not made by me im not an academic leader im just an undergraduate the definition is from credited scientists. plus golf and frisbee do not offer either ideologically or practically alternatives to the mainstream. you cannot compate the culture when you are on the slopes to golf or frisbee while also the same can be said for sports such as surfing, skateboarding, BMX, motox all that are also classed as extreme sports.

Plus its fine if you are a non extreme boarder im not only looking for extreme boarders, im looking for a general overview of the ski and snowboard population and if that includes non extreme participants then good that will show up in my results.
ski holidays
frisbee golf: one sport. So alternative you haven't heard of it.

Injury levels per participant, so they can be compared.

How do you become a credited scientist? It could help my career.
latest report
Plus there are many different types of fishing and some fishing probably is counted as extreme due to the nature of the extremity and the distance it is away from mainstream fishing.

There is also the argument that ski and snowboard is becoming more and more mainstream each year with more and more people participating. This could have an effect on my results that there are more leisurely skiers and snowboarders rather than the extreme. I will also test the results against studies done on other sports to see where the sports would lie against other extreme sports participants’ sensation seeking scores.

I’m not trying to make anything look extreme all i want is results from the general ski and snowboard population and you are part of that whatever your score would be.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Swirly, Well to become a credited scientists your work needs to be credited by other scientists that also agree with their ideas or theories.

Also the extremity of the injury would need to be compared to then if you want to be like that I’m pretty sure there has been more fatalities in snow sports that football and standard lake fishing.
snow conditions
I think some people may be forgetting that the purpose of this is to get good marks rather than neccessarily providing a good 'answer' - and I would assume that having limitations in the research and possibly sketchy data will give Nowely lots more to write about to get marks in different areas of the marks scheme.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Sat 9-10-10 21:56; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Or to look at it another way, it's a desperate and asinine thing to try and pass off as scientific research which when taken in conjunction with the fact that the OP can neither spell nor formulate grammatically coherent sentences, is further evidence of the declining standard in people posting bollocks on the internet in this country [surely you mean "attending degree courses" = Ed.]
latest report
So is there a connection between peoples risk taking and their willingness to make irrelevant choices between unrelated things?
snow report
Mr Technique, I dont see why your trying to say that the research is bad. it has been used many times before and is widely credited you can easily research that urself, rather than just trying to pretend you know everything and critising on a subject you know nothing of.
latest report
He said it was "stupid and asinine" not "bad"
snow report
What you're suffering from here is that there have been many similar requests on snowheads in recent months. Whilst they are almost certainly extremely valuable for research and carefully constructed to satisfy that they have consistently been turgid and confusing for anyone attempting to complete them. I assume this is similar but I haven't looked as I decided after the last that life was just too short.
ski holidays
Colin B, It's similar
latest report
The questionnaire can be split up into 4 subscales experience seeking, disinhibition, thrill and adventure seeking and boredom susceptibility. So as some of the questions may not seem relevant they all add up to your sensation seeking score. So as you may think some questions are irrelevant they all add to the sensation seeking trait.
snow report
Thank you to anyone that has filled in my survey.
I will be back again tomorrow to answer and questions again.
Good night!
snow conditions
Widely credited by whom? It's a load of false dichotomy "find out what kind of lover you are" womens magazine bullshit.
latest report
Mr Technique, Look follow this link it explains the sensation seeking scale and shows the numerous studies that it has been used in.
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1145/is_n7_v33/ai_21024320/?tag=content;col1
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy