Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scottish Snow 2010/11 - latest webcams post 1

Poster: A snowHead
roga, haven't you learnt by now never to trust predicted amounts???

The GFS runs are all over the place (still) which means the computers cannot be sure what may actually happen...

see here that all the various runs are not in agreement http://www.gregh.co.uk/php/gfsruns.php?select=Cairngorm
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
kitenski wrote:
roga, haven't you learnt by now never to trust predicted amounts???

Yup but last year snow-forcast usually underestimated by a big way the amount of snow that fell Very Happy They were generally correct about temps though!
Quote:
The GFS runs are all over the place (still) which means the computers cannot be sure what may actually happen...

see here that all the various runs are not in agreement http://www.gregh.co.uk/php/gfsruns.php?select=Cairngorm

I know and that's why predictions keep changing but a ramp is a ramp and I'm a glass half full kinda bloke Toofy Grin
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Here's a new photo from yesterday showing Cairngorm off pretty well:

Should put a smile on a few faces here snowHead
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Now your talking YeeeHaaaa
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
And Glencoe and the lecht got a bit more yesterday.
http://www.glencoemountain.co.uk/summer-webcams.html
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
THe webcams are looking better now (on first page of thread). Glencoe and The Lecht especially.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ptarmigan webcam looks best of all. Happy

How do you post a pic here?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
glasgowcyclops, save the pic to your hard drive then upload to somewhere online like The Snowheads Snow Media Zone (you don't get an account automatically so you have to set one up, look for the link under SnowBase above). Once you've done that just copy the code next to "Linked Thumbnail:" into your post and bobs your uncle, here's one I prepared earlier (click it to view the full sized version):

Ptarmigan snow 23rd October 2010:

snowHead
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I have my own server I just wondered if there was a snowheads dropbox.

That was the pic BTW roga.

What are the chances for sliding next sat? Going up to Moray next weekend. Norway the following weekend so will get some in then.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Chances of sliding next week slim or none IMHO
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
i had a punt over to the lecht today (junior needed a good kip rolling eyes), looking more white than i thought it would actually. forgot camera so no pics. snowline really only starts at well o' the lecht. snow donuts in the car park to get in the mood Cool

a lovely drive over via the back road on a beautiful sunny but distinctly wintery-feeling day (black ice on the ski road up to cairngorm early afternoon apparently)
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
kitenski, have to agree I think we're looking at first lift seved skiing being sometime in November, unless Colin is desperate to make his blog prediction of first lift served skiing on the 25th October come true - he'd better be quick though!

Anyway, just so you can compare the increase in snow over the last few days here are those Ptarmigan shots again:

Monday the 18th, a few centimetres but still quite a lot of rocks and ground showing through:

Wednesday the 20th, tops of some rocks still showing but much whiter:

Saturday the 23rd, nice and white now, wouldn't take a great deal more to get the season started:

There's also a couple of good reports with photos over on Winterhighland from Helen Rennie who has just skied on Cairngorm for the 12th month is a row. The photos give a good idea of the cover earlier in the week and the extra snow that has fallen since then:

Wednesday 20th October 2010 - this was the day Helen set her 12 month record and was also her 100th day on snow since her first of the 2009/10 season on 28th Nov 09.
Saturday 23rd October 2010 - this shows the build up of snow since Wednesday, some pretty deep drifts.

Now, before we get too excited it looks like the temperature is set to rise significantly from Tuesday onwards so we might well see these snow gains lost over the next 7 days. I hope not but being realistic it's not unusual for early snow to melt back but lets hope the ground stays cold and when the next cold snowy period comes (hopefully in the not too distant future) we'll see enough of a dump for the season to start properly - lets hope that happens sometime in November or early December.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Just to add another shot to the 3 above here's the last one from the cams on the 24th and it's been snowing again!

EDIT: BTW, for anyone interested I've just put up a copy of the new (classic style/retro) poster that Cairngorms National Park have produced to publicise the 3 ski areas in the park - The Lecht, Cairngorm and Glenshee. I rather like it, see what you think here
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Weather report from the central belt

It was 2c for my cycle to work today

Brrrrrr
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
roga, are the local forecasts still going with rain and increasing temps over the next few days?? Looks like it may cool down again by the end of the week....
snow report
Have a quick look at the Lecht webcams. Its a flash site so i cant seem to framegrab the image, however, look at "THE BUZZARD" Webcam.
Looks like someone has started the season early and has had a few runs down it.

Jammy so and so Happy
snow report
kitenski,

Aberdeenshire council website's weather forecast doesn't seem to be getting as warm as for example the BBC/metoffice forecast with max/mins of 13/7 and the heavy rain being tonight only. It then starts cooling down from the end of the week with daytime temps of 9C on Monday. Thats for the aberdeen not the hills

A quick edit - the heavy rain for tonight has now dissappeared off the forecast when I went to check just now. Thast a changed from this morning.
ski holidays
kitenski, not sure, have been looking at the online forecasts which still seem to be predicting a warm up into tomorrow morning and through the whole of Tuesday, bit cooler thereafter though but still warmer than the last week - there's a bit of rain forecast over the next day too Sad
snow conditions
Notched up the first turns of the new season and the 12th consecutive month of skiing on CairnGorm Mountain on Monday. Hopefully will get the fully complete calendar month too!

More: http://www.winterhighland.info/pix/pixalbum.php?pix_id=653
ski holidays
Was that at the weekend.

WOW
ski holidays
Thanks for posting those Alan, it looked lovely yesterday.

Couple of webcam shots from last thing yesterday showing the extent of the snow at the time (and the sun):

Looks like it was a gorgeous day but not so today, the above 2 webcams have decided not to update (yet again) so there's no way at the moment of comparing directly and seeing how much snow has been lost but the Winterhighland White Lady cams from just after 9am this morning (they then decided to stup updating too) (again) show a pretty grim and snowless picture Sad

The good news potentially (if the forecast is right) though is that although the temp has shot up horribly today and there's some rain about it'll fall back down to just above freezing tomorrow and they may even be a little snow at the top. There will be another bad point later on Thursday with temps again going higher (around 6c) but worst still high winds (potential hairdryer) and rain. Whatever survives into Friday could stand a better chance with winds moderating and temperatures falling again and some freezing nights on the cards into the weekend. As always though anything more than 24 hours out is suspect but I'm willing to bet it won't be the warm winds and rain that'll change rolling eyes
snow conditions
Have a look at the lecht webcams roga. The snow has been blitzed. Sad

And weirdly there are about 50 cars in the car park.??????
http://www.lecht.co.uk/
Cheers
Bob
latest report
glasgowcyclops, not actually as bad as I expected to be honest but I'm guessing more will be lost over the day. You've got to remember that The Lecht is the lowest of the ski areas (at 637m/2090ft) but does catch a lot of snow when it comes, however the snow tends to go very fast when it warms up. Dunno why there are so many cars up there - perhaps someone has hired out the lodge for a meeting or something.

BTW, this link will take you straight to the panoramic cam.

It's only October the 26th though and last year the first lasting snow didn't come until the end of November at Cairngorm with first lift served runs on the 28th (IIRC) - still all to play with and temperatures are overall on a downward trend. Take a look at the webcam piccy below from the 27th November 2009, if anything there's poorer overall coverage than yesterday but it had drifted into all the right places and was pistable, we just have to hope that November temperatures keep the ground cool and that there's a respectable dump during the course of the month then things will start happening, if any of the current snow survives this week then it's a bonus frankly snowHead

snow conditions
Short video from yesterday:
http://youtube.com/v/n0qIzj4WFp8
ski holidays
Just a note on the SSC Hut cameras on CairnGorm, the whole system shutsdown for a period mid-morning and gets fired back up again by timer switches.

Basically the vodafone mast on Meall a' Bhuachaille only has basic GSM provision and can't cope with the strain getting placed on it in busy spells (such as current holiday period) and as a fall back it limits data connections to prioritise voice data. To prevent prolonged outages the system is shutdown 3 times a day completely and fired back up to re-attempt connection. There needs to be a fairly decent down period to ensure the computer is cleanly shutdown before the power gets pulled.

The vodafone contract expires next month and if some tests prove promising it's hoped to switch to a several mb connection from three using external antenna to reach the Aviemore mast, if this is a goer it will allow increased frequency of uploads, more video clips and possibly additional webcam at the Timing Hut or Sheiling Tow. The current vodafone connection is at it's absolute limit in terms of uploading 3 cameras every 5 minutes!
snow report
guys, don't panic about snow melting on the 26th October, even on the 26th November I'd still not be that concerned at any lack of snow...
ski holidays
A nice vid posted by cairngorm http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?desktop_uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DzNj3rrsB3U8%26feature%3Dyoutu.be%26a&a=&feature=youtu.be&v=zNj3rrsB3U8&gl=GB
snow report

http://youtube.com/v/zNj3rrsB3U8 will work

Good spot kitenski Very Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
OUCH!!!

Must have been pretty warm and wet up there! Sad
snow report
roga, not surprising given it's only October....
snow report
^ agreed, it's sad to see after all that lovely whiteness but I totally agree that there's no surprise in it melting back at this time of year.
latest report
Damn Oh well just xscape on tuesday/wednesday night for me then. Happy
snow conditions
Just to tease us here's this mornings Ptarmigan cam:

snow conditions
A very similar picture to the one above today but if hyou look closely a slightly different snow lie (wind direction). All looking fine and hopeflly that ground is now reasonably cold - there seems to be a period of cold weather from now on at least for a few days and may well be a bit more snow at the top. November should be interesting, late in the month is when the season has often begun in recent years so we'll have wait and watch what transpires but if some of the weather charts come off we may see a decent dump at the top by the end of the month, all too distant to pin down sadly though but we can all think positively at the very least Very Happy

latest report
BBC suggesting some decent snowfall later on for the tops....
snow conditions
Yep BBC forecasts are predicting significant snow for the tops of the mountains as warm moist air from the south west pushes into colder air here in the North. Interestingly the scottish forecast seemed to show a larger patch of snow over the scottish mountains than the UK wide forecast. Still it will probably only be snow for the top bowl at Cairngorm.
latest report
There's a fair bit of new snow on Meall a Bhuiridh today ...

http://www.glencoemountain.com/webcams.html

... enough to start usefully filling in some holes perhaps ?

Most of the cams are hosted by winterhighland and that web page has now got to be the model for good webcamming in Scotland.
snow report
moffatross, snow at Meall a Bhuiridh is curerntly looking better than at Cairngorm! (Mind you the cam stopped updating just before 1 so it might have changed.)

Anyway the weather forecast for the next few days seems to be bouncing all over the place at the moment, looks like much colder from tomorrow onwards though with perhaps some snow - fingers crossed!
ski holidays
I can't get the webcams to work Confused

Website is a lot better than it has been in the past though Cool
snow conditions
scotia, you can see all the Glencoe cams on the one page at Winterhighland: http://www.winterhighland.info/cams/glencoe/
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy