Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New classic style/retro Ski Poster

Poster: A snowHead
Here's a wee sneak preview of a poster that's being produced to publicise the 3 ski areas in the Cairngorms National Park, Scotland - The Lecht, Cairngorm and Glenshee.

It's been created in that retro classic style that seems to work rather nicely with this particular type of poster and I have to say I rather like it Very Happy

I'm a bit of a ski poster junkie though I have to admit! Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I quite like it actually, never knew those three skimqreas were all in the cairngorm national park. Well I knew cairngorm was obviously but not the other 2, well they say you learn something everyday, and it's only 8am!!!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Very nice, are they selling them?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
shouldn't he have a helmet on ?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
davidof, and spoil that wonderful side-parting? No, no, no. Razz
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Really smart and classy.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I agree - nice poster
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
roga, Lovely poster .. but not a great piece of marketing (my opinion of course Embarassed ). I would have thought you wanted to convey a modern image of easy access, good conditions, people having fun etc. - not a reference to a bygone age ...
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
A lovely poster hopefully it'll invoke memories and images of skiings golden age !
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
betterinblack wrote:
Very nice, are they selling them?

In actual fact, believe it or not, they're giving A3 copies away free! (Only just found this out)

To secure yours e-mail them at advertise@Cairngorms-Park.com to ask for a copy and include your name and address. Toofy Grin

Associated blurb:
Quote:
Cairngorms-Park posters

The Cairngorms-Park poster concept was born out of a love of the American vintage posters produced in the mid-1930s in response to the Great Depression in America. The Federal Arts Project was focused in part on providing artwork for public buildings and while assisting struggling artists. Artists were tasked with creating posters that promoted the landscapes and wildlife of America's parks and vistas. The program ended in 1943. All of these posters are copyright free along with ours today. If you would like a printed A3 version of any of these Cairngorms Park posters just drop us any email and we will arrange for one to be posted to you. If you're a budding local artist or graphics designer and would like to design a Cairngorms-Park poster for us, then drop us an email to discuss your ideas and we may commission you.

More info here

NOTE: they only have the winter one at the moment so copies of the other 2 posters on that page aren't available.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Agenterre, can't disagree but that sort of marketing requires a single (competent) agency to organise it and some joined up thinking ... perhaps Scotland will have an advertising campaign suitable for 2010 in around 50 years time ... I'm not cynical but having watched the marketing of Scottish skiing for quite a few years now I'd say I was realistic!

BTW, the guys who have created this poster (and 2 others too) are the people who do the accomodation website for the national park area, believe it or not they're nothing to do with marketing skiing in the narrow sense of the word, although I guess the availability of snowsports sells accomodation on their site so it is of interest to them. If I saw leaflets, let alone a poster (retro or otherwise) being produced by those who supposedly market snowsports in Scotland I'll eat my helmets, all three of them! rolling eyes
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
roga, Laughing Laughing Laughing -- and dont get me wrong I love it - but if it weren't for the ".com' reference I would say it was a 1930s reprint !
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Not at all a rip off of the Chamonix stuff,
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
hey Rog, you on the Scoop Taylor archive on facebook?? SOme fab photos of the auld days up the Gorm (and around Strathspey in general). Brilliant day's skive from work if you aint already a member- must be a thousand pics up there by now
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Agenterre wrote:
roga, Lovely poster .. but not a great piece of marketing (my opinion of course Embarassed ). I would have thought you wanted to convey a modern image of easy access, good conditions, people having fun etc. - not a reference to a bygone age ...

I don't know it seems like a good bit of marketing if they can manage to get it out there and be seen. Frankly Scottish skiing can't compete on grounds of number of lifts, piste area,snow making, etc and it's unlikely to appeal to people who just want a weeks skiing and tartiflette.
But commited skiers should be kicking themselves for missing last season (me included) this won't do any harm.

Of course what they could really do with is another huge dump of snow and some joined up thinking where there are short breaks via trains (inc accomodation and lift pass) at reasonable prices to tempt people into contempating 2/3 trips a season.
latest report
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
Not at all a rip off of the Chamonix stuff,

Hey, I'm not drunk and I undersood that Shocked

You're just jealous NehNeh Wink
barry wrote:
hey Rog, you on the Scoop Taylor archive on facebook?? SOme fab photos of the auld days up the Gorm (and around Strathspey in general). Brilliant day's skive from work if you aint already a member- must be a thousand pics up there by now

Hey Barry I sure am a follower of the Scoop Taylor archive on facebook - it's an amazing collection and, as you'll guess, I love all the snowsports related stuff snowHead

betterinblack, have to agree with a lot of what you say there, particularly the bit about short breaks!
snow report
roga, Jealous, yes, of the fact that for what I can afford here i can have a Castle near Cairngorm and a shop!!! Shocked
I'm packing my bags.
latest report
not ski posters but interesting if posters are your bag - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1286535/Notting-Hill-posters-1950s-artwork-Tube-station.html
snow conditions
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
roga, Jealous, yes, of the fact that for what I can afford here i can have a Castle near Cairngorm and a shop!!! Shocked
I'm packing my bags.

LOL, well if you want any help in your shop (or castle) do give me a shout Toofy Grin wink
ski holidays
Quote:
Not at all a rip off of the Chamonix stuff

Next years campaign comes with the tag line 'Cairngorm - Just Do It', no doubt?
latest report
tiffin, fascinating stuff - that's the first time I've ever enjoyed a link to the Daily Mail website Laughing
snow report
The Voice of Reason, More likely "Hiver/Ete"
snow report
The Voice of Reason, I take it you won't be e-mailing for a free poster as a protest then rolling eyes
latest report
I really like this one... can't imagine why wink

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4012/4667020836_92e4008f3e.jpg
snow conditions
roga, In my defence I remembered it from another article and googled it, that was the first link that popped up. Wink
snow conditions
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
The Voice of Reason, More likely "Hiver/Ete"

To be honest the poster bears as much resemblence to other ski art posters of the era, all doubtless ripping off Chamonix 'coz Cham wouldn't dream of ripping off anyone else riiiight rolling eyes Laughing

However, if you read the blurb you'll see they were inspired by the vintage US National Park posters which bear a close resemlance to the artwork skiing posters in NA from the 30s, 40s and 50s so I'd actually say they were a closer 'rip-off' of them but I think those of us less inclined to be negative might use the word *homage* rather than rip-off, it's always easier to be negative though ... particularly when it comes to Scotland it seems eh!

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Mon 25-10-10 15:06; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
chrisdavis wrote:
I really like this one... can't imagine why wink

I can NehNeh
latest report
chrisdavis, It can get a bit nippy out on those slopes
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
roga, ah see what you are getting at here, you would like us to be original and contempary in our comments. wink
ski holidays
roga wrote:
The Voice of Reason, I take it you won't be e-mailing for a free poster as a protest then rolling eyes

You can sleep safely knowing that I will not be e-mailing anybody for a free poster to stick on my wall. Besides, tere is no room for me to put it up anywhere due to all my Peter Andre and Westlife posters....
latest report
The Voice of Reason, That reminds me, have you finished with my Kajagoogoo Annual?
snow report
Sorry, dont like it

Wasnt the Erna Low brochure styled like that last year?
ski holidays
tiffin wrote:
chrisdavis, It can get a bit nippy out on those slopes

tiffin, Is your 'l' key not working? Little Angel

SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
roga, ah see what you are getting at here, you would like us to be original and contempary in our comments. wink

Deffo, retro comments (particularly if ripping off anything from Chamonix) are out on this thread! Razz Wink

The Voice of Reason wrote:
You can sleep safely knowing that I will not be e-mailing anybody for a free poster to stick on my wall. Besides, tere is no room for me to put it up anywhere due to all my Peter Andre and Westlife posters....

Are they retro Peter Andre and Westlife posters or original and contempary? Wink
ski holidays
SMALLZOOKEEPER, Yep, I'll drop it round once I've finished taping it....
snow report
http://www.alpendirect.com/catalogue/images/affiches_montagne/Chamonix-hiver.jpg
snow report
http://www.alpendirect.com/catalogue/images/affiches_montagne/Chamonix-Martigny.jpg
snow report
http://cache2.allpostersimages.com/LRG/8/805/PMUI000Z.jpg
snow conditions
http://www.regardemagazine.com/articles/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/1924-Chamonix-F-417x600.jpg
ski holidays
http://www.ledauphine.com/fr/images/91EDC445-CF91-45F7-8A4B-FFCC27FF6DD1/LDL_06/chamonix-1924-(du-25-janvier-au-5-fevrier)-l-auteur-de-cette-lithographie-tiree-a-4-000-exemplaires-est-charles-hallo-dit-alo-affichiste-et-illustrateur-francais-ne-a-lille-(1882-1963).-cette-affiche-a-ete-realisee-dans-les-annees-precedant-les-jeux-pour-la-societe-de-chemins-de-fer-plm-avec-la-mention-chamonix-mont-blanc-toutes-les-installations-sportives-.-plm-preta-cette-affiche-au-comite-d-organisation-qui-en-fit-une-reimpression-avec-le-libelle-sports-d-hiver-a-l-occasion-de-la-viiie-olympiade-25-janvier-5-fevrier-1924-.-dr.jpg
ski holidays
http://cache2.allpostersimages.com/LRG/8/805/IOUI000Z.jpg
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy