Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Arcs 2010 / 2011 Snow Reports

Poster: A snowHead
Megamum, I think all you need to do is be patient. It will load ready for you to play, eventually.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
OK, I'll try it when I'm back home - would you believe that after driving home overnight on Saturday night I had to wake at 4am this morning for the regular 2 weekly trip into the office, so I'm travelodge tonight - looking forwards to getting back home tomorrow night!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
livetoski, well spotted, have added it to my group page with the others, thanks.

Papalaz, good luck with getting over there by the start of lessons. It will take about an hour each morning depending on the connecting times. Very early start.

rob@rar, nice pics Very Happy

moffatross, the track down to Villaroger is only open on the Blue Run. All the others are closed. They have added a snow making machine half way down to keep it open, but as with all artificial snow, it is quite hard packed and compact so easy to loose an edge and slide in the steeper places. But you can make it down to the very bottom, JUST! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Today we were over in La Plagne on the Bellecote. Managed to get on first lifts out of Les Arcs so were at the top of Roche de Mio by 10.45am. Although hard packed, the pistes on the way to the VE on the Les Arcs side were good. Firm and fast with not really icy until almost at the VE going down the Ours piste.

On the La Plagne side, after a fast blast down a firm Les Laines blue to Belle Plagne, it was up to the Roche and the start of our off piste day. Going over the back and down to the Chalet de Bellecote chair gave us better snow than we expected, soft in places with a firm chalky surface in the couloir. From the top of the Glacier we then headed into the large off piste area making two descents by different routes, both fun before finishing with a trip down the Friloin Bowl and back to the VE.

Another quick blast over to the Mushroom (Bulle) cafe in the Arc 2000 bowl for drinks and pizza then down to George's for a bit of apree after another fun day. The off piste all over the Paradiski area is holding up really well and giving us lots of fun. Tomorrow we are off to Espace Killy so it will be interesting to compare conditions there.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Rob mate, wikkid vids, really puts it in perspective for my Girlfriend, shes only been to the snowdome at MK, thanks again for takin the time Little Angel
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
great day tue took a group from the chalet over too les arcs. big blast around on firm pistes top of ag rouge was little 4isappointing snow wise some stones quite high up made me glad was on rentals. still lotsof fun was had by all.

today it had been colder overnight so pistes on LP side hard and icy. not huge fun so did a day of restaurant skiing. back to forpelet for lunch no issues in or out. emile alas down to la,roche was tough though.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
now that i have 4.5 weeks to go it can start snowing
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
dan100, agreed in LA on the 5th as well but I have a feeling its going to be 2006 all over again, first week in March back then it never stopped snowing Very Happy
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
snowcrazy, Stupid me, I forgot we have are going to have a car with us in March so I wondered about driving down to 1800 every morning to drop her off for lessons. Also wondered if it would be viable to jump on the Marmotte lift then up to the top and get her on the Transarc down to the bottom ? Wish they would just do morning lessons up at 1950/2000
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Papalaz, if going by lift you are better off time-wise on Bois de L'Ours then if blues take Arpette down to Belvedere, or if happy on the reds, Arpette and Vagere
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Papalaz, if I remember correctly, you said she is a beginner. If so, then you are better off to drive her round. Going on the lifts means waiting until they open and she might not manage even the blue Jim talks about at the start of the week. Later in the week that might be possible, or via transarc as you have asked, but it would depend on the time her lesson starts. Hope that helps.

No Les Arcs update from me today.

We were in Tignes/Val d'Isere, did both glaciers and loads of other stuff on and off piste. If anyone has the weeks ski pass that includes a day there it is well worth the effort to spend a day in another area. But we did have to leave from the funi in Bourg at 8am and got back to the funi in Bourg at 8pm so a very long day. But still good fun Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
snowcrazy, She did a week last year, and is sort of ok on and off lifts. But like you say probably better to drive her there then meet her later to ride back over to 1950 as practice and so she can get some mileage in. Her lessons would start at 9.30 so what time do you think we should leave 1950 if driving ?
JimW Hopefully later in the week she will be able to ride those runs.
I am sorry everyone for going off topic here, but as the weather and conditions have not really changed there as yet i thought you wouldn't mind me asking a few questions. Thank you.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
snowcrazy, Good point about getting the transarc down - hadn't thought of that. But I agree, best option is the car.

Papalaz, if you are parking in 1950, and if you are going in and out (as suggested, ) get a week's ticket at the start: it let's you in and out without having to worry about "part day" payments - far cheaper and easier than paying each time you leave and re-enter. One ticket to keep in the car for the time you are there.

In truth, even if you are not going in and out, it's easier to pay up front and get it over and done with, and in case you fancy popping out to the valley on a whim, there's nowt to worry about (it's €88 for the week, or €21 per day...which even with my maths skills is a no brainer).

You can book in advance at http://www.resaplace.com, but tbh it's just as easy to do it at the car park when you get there (there's 715 places, so shouldn't be a space problem).
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snowcrazy, JimW, Thanks for all your advice,
JimW, I am lucky to be staying at my friends place in 1950 so he has an owners car park card so I recon the best bet is to drive her down for first couple of days then maybe take the lifts later in the week.
Just one last question, how long do you think it will take to drive from 1950 to 1800, roads being ok that is ?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Papalaz, be aware that you'll have to pay to park in 1800. I think it's a good 20 minute drive 1950-1800, by the time you faff about with collecting ticket and parking.
ski holidays
rob@rar, Thanks Rob, plenty to think about Puzzled
latest report
Papalaz, to be honest I think it's a bit of a mad plan if you're trying to get to a 9.15am lesson start by car or bus. As snowcrazy suggested, I think a much better option is to book the 2nd slot of the morning (11.30am?) and use the Arcabulle and TransArc lifts to get to 1800.
latest report
Papalaz, ahh. At one point I did write about going into Georges' and asking for an owners' pass - but then deleted that sentence. Clearly you've got that sussed anyway!

If you are good for an early start, 9:15 surely will be OK rob@rar, ? - you may remember skiing with Michael from my group - he still gets first bus down to 1600 and runs back up the 10k to 1950 (as part of his iron-man training) before joining the rest of us slug-a-beds for breakfast. And thence a full day's skiing.

Just takes a bit of planning and determination (and being a complete and utter jock...)!

So, yes its about 13k to 1800 from 1950: little or no traffic about, you know your driving speeds and skills in mountain roads, work out the times and you'll be fine.
ski holidays
JimW wrote:
If you are good for an early start, 9:15 surely will be OK rob@rar, ? - you may remember skiing with Michael from my group - he still gets first bus down to 1600 and runs back up the 10k to 1950 (as part of his iron-man training) before joining the rest of us slug-a-beds for breakfast. And thence a full day's skiing.
Wouldn't be my idea of a holiday, and if I suggested a very early start to Jane in order to get her to ski lessons in a different village I think there would be a bit of a rebellion. So I agree it is doable, just not sure it's a great idea unless you naturally are an early riser, including when on holiday.
latest report
I am off ski-ing (not boarding) to Les Arcs 1600 with the wife and young kids this weekend and, having never been to LA before, would appreciate some tips in the light of current conditions. In particular:

- which runs / areas for safe / best (but not too boring) family ski-ing? Kids have done 3 weeks and have handled hard blues and easy reds in good conditions last year but want to avoid exposing them (and me) to unavoidable steep ice / hard pack / moguls. Also I am not great on steepish hardpack / ice and end up doing nervous and uncontrolled traverse zigzags rather than the carved linked turns I can pull off on softer snow.

- how are the runs back down to 1600?

TIA
ski holidays
livetoski wrote:
dan100, agreed in LA on the 5th as well but I have a feeling its going to be 2006 all over again, first week in March back then it never stopped snowing Very Happy

I remember that well. Quite a lot in March 2008 too
http://www.fridgemiller.co.uk/Pages/2008/Video_March_2008_Part1.htm

Out on Saturday for two weeks, can't always be lucky!
latest report
OldHacker, not skied down to 1600 this week so not sure how the runs to the village are. For a range of blues and gentle reds the entire bowl above Arc 2000 should give you a wide range to choose from. From 1600 itself the Mont Blanc chairlift takes you to a lovely blue piste through the trees which might be a good warm-up run for your family. The main red down to 1600, Cachette, is relatively steep and probably quite hard and scraped, so returning to the village might be better along the Arpette or Gollet blues.
latest report
OldHacker, I skied down there last week, & we had the place virtually to ourselves - snow to the bottom of the main runs anyway, albeit artificial. Arolles was lovely - but its a red & can get icy - best watch out for the 'recommended' pistes on the board by the lifts, as they are the ones that have been worked on overnight. Clocheret is a lovely lift, & the blue Clapet run from the top was in pretty good condition - and again quiet. Cachette from the top, as rob@rar, suggested, was hard & scraped, worse on the lower segment, but the blues down were as good as I've experienced them. And you must go to Chalet de l' Arcelle down by the ski school (ESF) for the best & cheapest hot chocolate in the whole of Les Arcs. Lunch there is also delicious Toofy Grin Have a great week
ski holidays
OldHacker wrote:

- how are the runs back down to 1600?

TIA

did that today, arolles was lovely the main run into 1600 was good apart from usual bottom 100m. for the kids the area above peisey vallandry was in very good nick, just avoid going down to vallandry itself, as bottom of myrtilles is foul.

villaroger still open but only by using lys, as red/blacks by soliet all gardening not skiing. ariandiers still in great shape as is bellette. board at derby said ' good weather until friday 11th' I.e no new snow.

boarding becoming tricky, mate who is good off piste etc spun out on way home and did his shoulder ligaments. very glad am on skis not board this week.

ski safe

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Sun 6-02-11 20:21; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
rob@rar, Am I missing something ? I can't seem to find any lessons that start at 11.30. But that would be perfect, have checked ESF at 1800 and Arc Adventures and their morning lessons start at 9.30. If there is a ski school that does lessons from 11.30 that anyone knows of then please can you let me know contact details.
snow report
Papalaz, sorry that was just an assumption on my part. I've never used ESF or Arc Adventures so I'm not sure about the timetable of their day. Sorry for any confusion.
snow conditions
rob@rar No problem, to be honest I am getting a little tired of trying to organise these lessons. The thought of getting up real early every morning is not very appealing to either of us. Will have a final discussion with other half and make a decision tonight. I think the afternoon lessons with Spirit1950 will probably be the ones Sad
snow conditions
rob@rar - we are going in search of your favourite cafe (Arpette??) tomorrow for lunch. From 2000, which is quickest route? Also return route - need to be back to pick up kids at 2pm latest.

JimW - yes having just about the best family ski holiday ever. As long as we stay up high in Arc 2000 then the kids are having lots of fun.

I have finally broken free of my "I'm a 40 year old mother of 2 and blues suit me just fine thank you" to having lots of fun on reds this year Very Happy. Again, it those that are high up. Husband is tryig to persuade me I can take the red from Aiguille Rouge but will probably stick with the top of Varet for this year Very Happy

Is it me or has the piste from around base of Varet down to 1950 got progressively worse this week? I came a real cropper on a stack of ice......close to Cafe Luigi - of those moments where you spot first patch and gear up to turn after but then, yup another and another. Skis went skywards and a hefty fall on my back has left me glad of the arnica gel I brought with me.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
hascas, most direct route is to ski to the Bois de L'Ours lift then take the blue Arpette piste and then take a right hand turn to cut underneath the t-bar lift. The Arpette restaurant has a large terrace and a vaguely circular roof. It gets busy at lunchtime, so get there for an early lunch. To get back to collect your kids simply take the blue piste that runs alongside the restaurant (Belvedere) a couple of hundred metres to the Arpette chairlift, then the blue Plan piste back towards Arc 2000.
snow report
Thanks Rob - that was the route we had mapped out but thought you may know a shortcut wink
snow report
hascas wrote:
Thanks Rob - that was the route we had mapped out but thought you may know a shortcut wink
At the top of the Bois de L'Ours lift is the parapente office and take-off point. I'm sure they could take you to the Arpette.

snow conditions
Does anyone know if the apocolypse parc is built yet?
snow conditions
Sandy77uk wrote:
Does anyone know if the apocolypse parc is built yet?
Is that the usual snow park above Arc 1600? If so, yes, it's fully operational. Range of jumps and rails, and there's been an airbag available all week.
ski holidays
nice work, thanks fella, oh and yeah thats the one
ski holidays
Sandy77uk, there's a brief bit of video of a couple of guys in the park at 5m10s towards the end of this clip:

http://youtube.com/v/-7Z59wl7DSs
ski holidays
Papalaz wrote:
rob@rar No problem, to be honest I am getting a little tired of trying to organise these lessons. The thought of getting up real early every morning is not very appealing to either of us. Will have a final discussion with other half and make a decision tonight. I think the afternoon lessons with Spirit1950 will probably be the ones Sad

I'm staying in Arc1800 at end of March and have booked 11.30 lessons with Ski New Generation, based in Vallandry, if that helps?
snow report
LOL at idea of parapente-ing! They were doing that yesterday as we were sat in l'Arpette. I couldn't watch! Scares the life out of me.

We went thru the snow park yesterday. If you are thinking of taking kids be aware that the music blasting out is loud and ahem colourful of lyric Wink I don't mind rap but there are some phrases I don't want my 10 year old asking me to clarify!!

Also took kids on Boarder Cross up at 2000. They loved it and there is a choice of two runs depending on ability so thoroughly recommend.
snow conditions
A few lifts closed today - must be protecting the piste

but a lovely sunny day and some good skiing

Did anyone hear my OH swearing at the prat that took him out at full speed on Tuffes? - apologies for the language, which was very colourful, but it was a very near escape from broken ribs and a lot of bruising damage to his back and hip as evidenced by his inability to walk very well now. The French idiot was told to disappear rapidly by me - he was in danger of having his light punched out.

Take care on the slopes and watch your speed
snow conditions
Just got back from a week in Les Arcs. Snow really isn't that bad (maybe bad compared to what it should be in January, but certainly still ski-able). Had lots of fun skiing around all week, especially in the sunshine and mild temperatures. And the park is very much built, including some very big black jumps which are good fun snowHead
snow report
Papalaz, never been to Les Arcs (but we're booked to go in April) so I don't know how easy/quick it is to get about, but Jnr and I had afternoon lessons on one of our trips last year.. I really wasn't happy at first when I found out when the lessons were, but it turned out to be pretty good. We were out for first lift, did a hell of a lot of skiing up until lunch, after a quick lunch we'd head back to the lesson meeting point, having lessons until 5pm. Meant that pretty much every day was a first lift/last lift day, I think it made us really make the most of the mornings, and we got a lot of ground covered as a result.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy