Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Arcs 2010 / 2011 Snow Reports

Poster: A snowHead
Here we go.

As this is a snow report thread, last weekend we had snow up top, a dusting anyway. It looks like it has all gone now with blue sky on the web cams and forcast to stay that way for the next few days at least. How many days is it till the season starts. Planned opening is the 11th December withe the film festival that week as well.

Here are some links to help everyone with there planning, but some are not online yet for 2010/2011 season, check back again in October:

Webcams
http://www.lesarcs.com/Webcams-GB-Les-Arcs.html

http://www.arc1950.com/en/hiver/le-village/Webcams/menu-id-118.html

Piste Maps
http://www.lesarcs.com/Ski-map.html

Ski Lessons all ages (use this link it is not just for kids)
http://www.lesarcs.com/Lessons-for-children.html

Weather Forcast
http://www.lesarcs.com/Weather-forecast.html

Lift Passes
http://www.lesarcs.com/I-m-quite-happy-with-Les-Arcs.html

Film Fest 11 - 14
http://www.lesarcs-filmfest.com/index_eng.html

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 6-10-10 12:59; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Excellent and by posting I can now I see this thread under 'view your posts'.

Think this is a better link to the webcams. Cool

http://www.webcam-ski.com/interfaces/les-arcs-peisey/interface.php?pk_interface=259&m=images&r=panoramique#depart
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
thefatcontroller, likewise, add my name to the list!

snowcrazy, out for New Year, but little else this year, unless I can swing a "boys week", or some excuse to come out for a couple od days of local politics.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi Snowheads,

Firstly, apologies for my complete newbiness, got to start somewhere I guess. I have spend the past week trolling through the entire Les Arcs 2009/2010 thread taking in as much information as possible (your love for Les Arcs/skiiing is astounding), however, I apologise if I seem to repeat what has been previously mentioned.

I am a twenty-two year old Australian university student making his way over to Europe to complete my studies at City University in London. More to the point though, before I enter the UK, my girlfriend and I are absolutely content on the idea of skiing in Les Arcs for the week. After spending an enormous time planning my travels throughout December, I have concluded that the week of 11th December - 18th December is the ideal week for us to ski. I do realise that the season officially opens on 19th December, however, having only skiied in Australia (I am sure that even the possibility of skiing in Australia is news to many of you), I am sure that we will be blown away by the skiing conditions regardless of how many lifts/runs are open. I do think that its worth noting that both my girlfriend and I have skiied several times and would be roughly around the (light) intermediate level, however we may be a bit rusty on the first day.

This is where I am seeking your advise. From reading previous posts, it seems that Arc 1800 would be the location that best suits what we are looking for (skiing mostly blue runs first, progressing towards the easier black) all day, possibly check out the bars/discos at night. Although, judging from the post around the 12th December last year, it seemed that Arc 1800 wasn't the best area to stay in account of the lack of snow. My question is, where in your opinions would be the best area to stay during 12th - 19th December 2010 taking into account our situation (young, not expert skiiers, Australian)?

So far, we have only booked flights to Paris on the 11th and are planning on catching the train from there on the 12th. I am hoping it isn't too late to book accomodation/ski passes/hire equipment. Where is the best place to start looking online to organise all of these things? Being a travelling university student, I am sad to say that finances must be taken into concern (although not to an extreme level) looking on the lesarcs.com website, accomodation available seemed extremely well priced. Are there any other sites you would suggest looking for accomodation? And, are there any other tips you could advise that would help in my preparation for a week in Les Arcs?

I am sorry for the length of this post. I guess I am excited about the thought of skiing in France for a week. And it being only 3 months away!

Thanks in advance. Very Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ncongram, welcome to snowHeads.

I think the official opening date for Les Arcs is 11th December, although the Vanoise Express - the cablecar linking Les Arcs with La Plagne - doesn't open until the 19th, but that won't be a problem as there should be plenty to keep you occupied in Les Arcs for a week. I don't think there is much to chose from between Arc 2000, 1950, 1800 or even 1600 if the snow isn't brilliant. Some of the lower villages (Villaroger, perhaps Peisey and Vallandry) might be marginal if it's a poor start to the season.

Arc 1800 has a reputation for having the most nightlife of the Les Arc villages, but the week before Christmas is going to be quiet everywhere so I doubt that many places are going to be rammed in the evening. 1800 is a good location from a skiing point of view, with easy access to lots of blues and reds. As this is typically a very quiet week of the season accommodation prices should reflect that. You certainly haven't left it too late to book anything - you're always going to be able to find accommodation for that week, even for last minute bookings. You can buy lift passes at any time - there doesn't seem to be any discount to being in advance, so perhaps easiest to wait until you get to the resort. Similarly with rental equipment you will be able to pick stuff up at any time, although there are places which do discount if you hire in advance (see www.skiset.couk for example). The one thing you should focus on booking are your train tickets from paris to Bourg St Maurice. Generally the earlier you book the cheaper they will be.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
rob@rar, Personally I would always book ski hire on line before departure. Have seen resort shops refuse to match the prices quoted on line.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
thefatcontroller, I agree your webcam link is much better, my links seem to be running very slow maybe the Tourist Office have not got them running very well yet for this coming winter.

Now I want to ask owners and regular skiers in Les Arcs i.e those that come here a few times a season and 'really do know' what is going on and post stuff here a question. Should we continue as we have always done and post all the latest info, chat, up-to-date snow reports and weather conditons all in one place to make it easier for people to see what is going on or should we split the details and post ONLY the snow reports here and move the rest to another thread in the reosrts section?

What I believe we all agree, but please do correct me if I am wrong, is that nobody wants to be posting stuff twice because we get the same questions in two different places. The number of hits to this thread last season and comments from people I have met and skied with seem to indicate that it is better to have the snow reports/weather conditions/chat and up-to-date info etc. all in one place with a new thread each season as has just been started here for 2010 /2011. But that's just what I have heard. Over to you.

If people prefer to PM me with there answers that is ok. Look forward to hearing from you all. After we get other views we can decide if a change is needed or not.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
snowcrazy, Keep as is, excellent thread and your work is greatly appreciated. Cool Lets not follow the lead of the Montalbert crowd and confuse the hell out of everyone with a pointless thread and spread information out on an important ski area over numerous threads. Keep it simple, keep it to one thread please. Madeye-Smiley Cool
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
snowcrazy Yep, totally agree Facebook is the way forward. As I think you have proven this past summer and winter season. snowHeads is OK but it does attract some veneer.
At least the fatconttroller will be happy this year as the Montalbert and La Plagne threads have started elsewhere for the forthcoming season.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Boredsurfing wrote:
At least the fatconttroller will be happy this year as the Montalbert and La Plagne threads have started elsewhere for the forthcoming season.

As inclusive as ever I see Laughing Laughing Where have you gone then with your toys and your pram?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
thefatcontroller, No toys and prams involved, but keeping ahead so, predictable, but we have followed snowcrazys example.
We wanted to rent a hidden forum on snowHeads but no one could find admin Toofy Grin wink

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Sun 5-09-10 20:48; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
keep it as is agreed its a great thread and informative too
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Boredsurfing, the facebook thing really bugs me, specially when snowcrazy posts his pics there rolling eyes - I ain't a member; I have no intention of becoming a member, and I find a single snowHead thread does me just fine.

News from 1950: I tend to post the more commercially sensitive stuff on the "owners only" website, until it (or at least a version of it) gets into the public domain, and then correct various mis-attributions. But with a fairly obvious username, and known by the majority of owners in the village, as well as having certain local 'responsibilites', you can trust that what I do post is "the truth and nothing but the truth".

It just may not be "the whole truth"... wink

J
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
JimW, You don't need to be a member to see some stuff on Facebook Confused
http://www.facebook.com/lesarcs?v=wall&ref=search
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Office-de-Tourisme-Les-Arcs-Bourg-Saint-Maurice/39003128004?v=photos&ref=search
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
At last this thread is here. Been waiting since March!

Facebook is fine for most but if you work in the public sector, as i do, they tend to block social networking sites.
latest report
JimW, snowcrazy's pages you don't need to belong either to see the page Very Happy http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=134900026541300
ski holidays
Boredsurfing, Yep, I have been trying to get it updated in between 'working' Toofy Grin so that it is worth putting online.

So here it is. Hope you all enjoy it.

Very Happy Les Arcs Ski and Snowboard Info Group is on Facebook (in English): http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=134900026541300&ref=ts Very Happy

Join up if you are a member of Facebook, if not a member then enjoy what you read anyway.
latest report
Boredsurfing, snowcrazy, ahh that's OK then - thanks.

But as per surfstar, I'll need to be at home to view, it's blocked at my work too (and I am not public sector).
snow report
JimW, I agree I waste far to much time on here when I should Twisted Evil be doing other things. Hope you are happy with this new link as you can now see the pics that I share with the public at least.

Does anyone know how I do one of those things at the bottom of my posts so that my facebook link is there for everyone to see without me keep on posting it like Rob has for his blog page? After all I do have a snowheads link on that page to get people to come here.
snow report
snowcrazy, User facilities dropdown ( top left) forum profile cut and paste link into subject box or cut and paste this line below Very Happy

Snowcrazy Chris and all things Les Arcs on Facebook click here
ski holidays
Boredsurfing, Ok did that thanks, now let's see if it works.
ski holidays
Boredsurfing, the click here thing has not worked, any ideas.
ski holidays
Boredsurfing, Hey it works, thanks I managed to work it out for myself, good instructions admin. Now I better do some work. Bye snowHead
snow conditions
Excellent photos added http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=134900026541300
Rob@ Rar Can we fit in a photography lesson as well as the skiing over Christmas wink snowHead
ski holidays
Boredsurfing, thanks Happy My technique to to take hundreds, delete the majority as they will be rubbish and then hang on the few lucky ones which look OK Embarassed
snow conditions
Is it snowing yet?
latest report
surfstar, it snowed twice while I was there in August - only the very highest slopes and it soon melted. Buy reassuring to know that the snowgods haven't forgotten how to do it.
snow conditions
I'm off to Les Arcs on Boxing day for a week, is this a little in the season for good snow? Puzzled
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
LloydShort, it'll be fine. See you there.
snow conditions
LloydShort, welcome to snowHeads. This was taken on 23 December last year:

ski holidays
rob@rar, previous Xmas snow is no guarentee of future snow of course - although I would agree that there will almost certainly be good skiing at that time

So pleased to see this thread started - it makes skiing that little bit closer. Although we are not (definitiely) going until 9 April (will there be snow?)

A last minute late Jan trip is a possibility though
ski holidays
Boris wrote:
rob@rar, previous Xmas snow is no guarentee of future snow of course -

Indeed. On the other hand I've skied at Christmas int eh Tarentaise or the 3V for probably 15 of the last 20 years and there has always been snow to ski on. There have been good years and bad years; fortunately for me the only disastrous year that I can recall I was in the UK for a family event at Christmas time.
snow conditions
rob@rar, not disagreement from me - only the last 5 years but even in the really bad year a few years back there was plenty of skiing. Despite being told by the dutchone that there would be no snow and I was wasting my time Laughing
snow conditions
Boris, yeah, some people like to show how cool they are by being mongers of doom.
snow report
Thanks all, put my mind at ease. Very Happy
latest report
This might not be the right forum for this but has anyone got any advice on driving to Les Arcs? Time from Dover, driving conditions when you get near the resort, motoway tolls and that soet of thing?
snow report
LloydShort, lots of info if you can get the search function to work - it can be a bit tempremental!

Based on my own experiences though:

Between 8-10 hours from Calais to LEs Arcs assuming reasonable weather and road conditions. Can go up a lot if either change. Geberally we (and others here) aim to get away Friday and stop mid-France, an early start can see you in resort mid-afternoon

You're on motorway most of the way, only dropping down to single carriage at Moutiers. Obviously can't predict the weather, but the resorts have a vested intrest in making sure the punters can get there. You will need snow chains and we have had had to use them from Moutiers in the past.

I reckon about £70 each way in tolls.

Other advice - well make sure you have snacks and drinks in the car, MP3 player usual stuff for long journeys. FOr fitting chains ensure you have a pair of gloves, head torch and a blanket to hand. If you can practice before you go.
latest report
rob@rar, thefatcontroller, Thank you for the information. It has been extremely helpful. You can only book trains from Paris - Saint Bourg Maurice less than three months in advance, so I will look to book everything in the next week. Again, thanks for your help.
snow report
Some photos up on RG's site of the new lift in Peisey. Scroll down the linked thread for more photos.

http://www.leforumdeparadiski.fr/viewtopic.php?p=56247#p56247
snow report
thefatcontroller wrote:
Some photos up on RG's site of the new lift in Peisey. Scroll down the linked thread for more photos.

http://www.leforumdeparadiski.fr/viewtopic.php?p=56247#p56247

I guess ski beat will be putting their prices up for their 'top 5 chalets' (the group of 5 behind the lift in the second photo) and as noted previously will definitely increase the lunchtime traffic to la vache...
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy