Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Arcs 2010 / 2011 Snow Reports

Poster: A snowHead
rob@rar, when I said good I meant in the context of the current snow drought, better than expected might sum it up more accurately wink
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
skimum, yes, that's about right.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rob@rar, unfortunately no, that's the problem.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Freddie Paellahead wrote:
rob@rar, unfortunately no, that's the problem.
What a pain! The Contour helmetcam produces a non-proprietary format video which FCP (and iMovie) can edit natively. Makes it all a bit smoother.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rob@rar, Good to see you are back, let me know if you fancy a ski.

Very Happy Blue Sky, a little windy at times and still cold, but slowly getting warmer. Very Happy Today we started bright and early with first lifts up and then a fast ski down the Renard and Aigle pistes to warm up which we found to be in very good condition for carving and short turns the whole way down to the bottom of the lifts. A good way to start the day. After shaking off the cobwebs of a few beers the night before we then headed back up the Derby and began another day of fun off piste skiing.

For those that enjoy firm chalky or soft snow, although not powder. There is plenty still to be found all over Les Arcs. First down towards the mid station of the Transarc, then through the centre of the Arc 2000 bowl and later around the slopes heading back into Arc 2000 from the top of Aiguille Rouge. All areas were good fun, with some very steep pitches to test the nerves and skill of those pushing themselves that little bit further today.

After a late lunch, back up the Varet and over to the Grand Col for some more off piste again on firm chalky snow, before our final ski down off piste (crossing a few pistes) all the way back to Arc 1950 when the lift finally closed at 4.40pm on the Grand Col.

The conclusion by all present today was that the snow, although not powder, was still very good and the different routes were a good challenge and raised the levels of everyone by the end of the day.

La Plagne and Bellecote beckon tomorrow. Should be another great day in the sun.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Rob@rar what was the name of the song in your helmet vid mate? got the Mrs totally buzzing about LA now after seeing it! snowHead
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
WOW another new webcam to check everyday Very Happy

http://www.webcam-ski.com/interfaces/les-arcs-peisey/interface.php?pk_interface=411&m=images&r=panoramique#depart
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
livetoski wrote:
WOW another new webcam to check everyday Very Happy

http://www.webcam-ski.com/interfaces/les-arcs-peisey/interface.php?pk_interface=411&m=images&r=panoramique#depart

Whoa, nice find liveto Little Angel

especially when you click beside camera (in red) you get 5 new ones to look at
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Angry Squirrel wrote:
Rob@rar what was the name of the song in your helmet vid mate? got the Mrs totally buzzing about LA now after seeing it! snowHead
Hold Tight London from the Chemical Brothers.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
rob@rar wrote:
Angry Squirrel wrote:
Hold Tight London from the Chemical Brothers.

thanx fella
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Angry Squirrel, Angry Squirrel, Yep the drop downs next to the camera in red have been there for some time, its just the view from the Vanoise is new today and I see now they have lots of zooms Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We were in Les Arcs yeserday and La Plagne today

generally it is skiable, some areas are a wee bit icy and sometimes there are patches of grass or rock - I have the very big bruises to prove it - and we have seen two blood waggons

BUT

the sun is out

I am skiing

and that is what I am here to do

so me and my bruises will be out again tomorrow and having a good, if more caustious, time of it all Toofy Grin
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Tollpepper, That's the spirit! snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Tollpepper, I hear that beer is good for bruises, but has to be taken orally rather than rubbing it on wink
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ah I have done the rubbing things on taking anti hurt things - beer is shortly Smile
ski holidays
Hi All,
Sorry this is a little off topic but I am looking for a morning class of snowboard lessons for my girlfriend. She did a week of beginners class last year so now needs the next level. I am going to be based in Arc 1950, I have tried Spirit1950 and they only have afternoon lessons and it's the same with ESF at 2000. Just wondered if anyone can recommend any other snowboard schools that do morning sessions, maybe based in 1800 or 1600. I thought we may be able to get her down there by bus for the start of lessons if need be.
On the subject of the conditions out there at the moment, we came back about 2 weeks ago and it was pretty dire then so well done to you all for staying positive and making the most of it. Hope it dumps soon.
Papa
ski holidays
ESF 1800 we do them here
snow conditions
when do you come out?
ski holidays
steviesadler, We come out on 12 March so lessons needed from 13th
snow report
Had a really lovely day. Gorgeous weather, with unbroken blue sky and temperatures just below freezing. It's fairly quiet still, with no lift queues other than the Aiguille Rouge cablecar being a bit busy in the morning.

Was playing around with my helmetcam a little bit more, so here's a little bit of today's fun:

http://youtube.com/v/-7Z59wl7DSs

On piste needs a little circumspection to get the best out of it as skis can easily break away on the hardpack snow, but if you stay on top of your skis and make smooth but powerful movements there's plenty of grip out there. A few photos from the day:

snow report
Your working life really is proper 'ard.

rolling eyes

Edit: terrific video, including the music - fits really well. And impressive one-footed skiing. Smile

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Tue 1-02-11 19:41; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Hurtle wrote:
Your working life really is proper 'ard.

It's a dirty job, but someone's gotta do it.
ski holidays
It looks wonderful Rob. Is Villaroger still reachable on snow & if so what does La Rosiere look like from there ?
ski holidays
Papalaz, The reason given by Spirit and ESF2000 for afternoon snowboarding is that overnight ice makes it tougher conditions, and that by early afternoon it is a more enjoyable experience for the level 1 and 2. We had similar issues when my Nephew joined us last year at Easter - the girls were in skiing lessons in the am, could only get him boarding in the pm. PITA.

But it is something to think about ( they aren't stupid enough to turn away money unless there is a reason) and perhaps discuss with g/f ?
snow conditions
moffatross, La Rosiere as seen from the Aiguille Rouge today:

I've not skied down to Villaroger on this trip so not sure about piste quality, but I think the pistes are open all the way down.
ski holidays
JimW, Girlfriend had P.M lessons last year and it sort of mucks up your day a bit. I have been boarding for a few years now so I was hoping to go out with our friends in the morning while she has lessons then meet up after to help her practice in the afternoons. Have had a look at ESF 1800 and as steviesadler quite righty said they do A.M lessons. I recon it's going to have to be early bus down to 1800 every morning Sad
Thanks for the info though.
ski holidays
JimW, Just noticed you are in Maidenhead, I live on Windsor Great Park.
latest report
rob@rar wrote:
moffatross, La Rosiere as seen from the Aiguille Rouge today:

I've not skied down to Villaroger on this trip so not sure about piste quality, but I think the pistes are open all the way down.

Thanks, that's a lot more snow than I'd have expected to see over there after reading the reports. I remember looking towards La Rosiere from Villaroger at Easter a couple of years ago and wondering how any snow could survive the blazing sunshine over there.

Just dug out a picture from 10th April 2009 ...

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Tue 1-02-11 20:15; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
moffatross, Dwarf Vader has just updated the La Ros thread.
latest report
moffatross wrote:
It looks wonderful Rob. Is Villaroger still reachable on snow & if so what does La Rosiere look like from there ?

I was staying in Villaroger last weekend, left on Wednesday, they have full snow making facilities nearly all the way down. A few slick spots below Solaise but we could almost ski to the door of La Ferme. As the temps have been low since then I would imagine that not much has changed as it is mainy North facing and very shaded on the Villaroger side of the Les Arcs ski area.
ski holidays
i came back from 1950 on sunday,i thought 1950 was great ,get happy hour from 1730 to 1830, 2. 50 eros a pint ,3.50 a bottle of becks in georges ,i have had better conditions,but i skied first to last lift every day,they was some ice,but conditions were alot better than expected just choose your runs practise your moguls under the varet,trip over to la plagne and watch your speed and stay on top of yourr skis and you will be fine any body whoose goiing wll have a great time Razz Razz Razz
snow report
Quote:

Had a couple of moments where my skis suddenly started to travel sideways rather than forwards, but having the odd burst of adrenaline flowing into your system can be fun

I meant to post when I read this the other from rob@rar, if instructors are capable of suffering from these 'moments' then I think it explains why this mere mortal had an 'interesting' time of things whilst I was there Laughing

I think this sums it up:

skimum wrote:
... conditions look like they're pretty good.
That would be stretching the definition of 'good'. Depending on your preferences it's really not that bad. I like skiing hardpack, and the icy pitches don't freak me out like they used to, so I'm really happy with conditions. But I appreciate they're not everyone's cup of tea.

rob@rar, How's the run down to lifts outside the St. Bernard doing? The bottom was getting 'very interesting' last week and from the little bridge down to next to the spiral stairs was requiring quite a thought process to work out the best way of tackling it.
snow conditions
Megamum wrote:
rob@rar, How's the run down to lifts outside the St. Bernard doing? The bottom was getting 'very interesting' last week and from the little bridge down to next to the spiral stairs was requiring quite a thought process to work out the best way of tackling it.
The piste below St Bernard is best taken in a straight line wink The bit from the bridge seems OK.
latest report
rob@rar,
Quote:

The piste below St Bernard is best taken in a straight line

ZzzzOOOOOMMMMM eh?................yeah, I can just imagine the speed I'd have built up to take the swing at the bottom - 'yard sale' wouldn't have described the mess I'd have ended up in Laughing

I bet you make an impressive job of it though - glad you're having fun - I wish I could get your helmet cam footage to stream though - carry on enjoying it and I'll wish for snow for you.
snow report
Megamum wrote:
wish I could get your helmet cam footage to stream though
It's from YouTube so it doesn't need to stream in real time if you have slow broadband, just leave the window open until the video has loaded than hit the play button.
snow report
Papalaz, ahh just down from Sir Elton? wink

Yeh it is frustrating: you want to be out and about in the morning, but daren't go too far or too hard.. " just in case".

So if you can get over to 1800 in time, then that seems like a good compromise. It will be two buses tho. - the one from 2000/1950 goes to the funicular at 1600 and you'll then need to get another one to 1800.

Reports from owners currently in 1950 echo what others have been saying about the hardness of the piste, but that overall it's good skiing.
Certainly looks like it from the Rob vids. Still, 4 1/2 weeks til we're out again, so a (slim) chance of some more snow by then.

Glad you are enjoying life hascas and the beautiful mountains of the Savoie. Never cancel a ski holiday!!
ski holidays
Papalaz wrote:
steviesadler, We come out on 12 March so lessons needed from 13th

yeah dude, you can either come in to ski school at 1800 on the 12th to book or ring up. hope this helps
snow report
rob@rar, nice vid... i was doing the same runs just two weeks ago.... weather still beautiful blue skys. Arpette is still one of my favorite mountain stop offs.
latest report
Papalaz wrote:
JimW, Girlfriend had P.M lessons last year and it sort of mucks up your day a bit. I have been boarding for a few years now so I was hoping to go out with our friends in the morning while she has lessons then meet up after to help her practice in the afternoons. Have had a look at ESF 1800 and as steviesadler quite righty said they do A.M lessons. I recon it's going to have to be early bus down to 1800 every morning Sad
Thanks for the info though.

hope i'm right i work there Very Happy
latest report
rob@rar, I'll try that trick - I often have problems with streaming video Very Happy . The only ones that seem to stream more reliably for me are Vimeo ones - they must do something slightly differently.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy