Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tour Operators threaten Chambery pullout

Poster: A snowHead
kyoto49, Those are quite a few of the reasons we bought our own place in the Alps Very Happy
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've flown though Chambery once, and would try and avoid it (and probably Grenoble) this year if I could. The airport is too small for the number of people using it, so I'd rather go through a larger aiport further away. There's no point saving an hour off the transfer if you're sitting on the plane in a traffic jam for 2-3 hours after you've landed (especially when your plane was told to "fly slower" on the way!)
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've done lots of short term ski holidays but it's always been difficult finding accommodation to match our travel days. A couple of years ago we stayed at Le Dome in Tignes which was a catered chalet where you could book for any number of random nights (at least 3 though I think) - which was just right for our needs - but they are no longer operating - so I guess it wasn't popular enough.

This year we paid for a whole week in a French apartment even though we weren't going to use the whole week, through a UK agent, only to find out that has I booked it through the French owner/agent site I could have had any number of flexible days.... Sad
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I think non-standard accommodation is getting a bit easier, and I'm coming to the conclusion that the general snowheads view is right - a couple of private lessons can be better value than a whole week in a big group. Group lessons here aren't a possibility, anyway, unless you can speak enough French to cope. In the low season a 2 hour private lesson, for up to 3 people, is 54 euros. Compared to the cost of - say - a haircut, or a car service, in the UK that's very good value. Snowheads threads often come up with possibilities for non-standard accommodation, and if people keep asking, the market will respond, sooner or later.

It takes a bit more research to do non-standard holidays, but it can be done, outside school holidays, at any rate. Buying your own apartment is maybe a bit drastic, but that's definitely the way to push down the price-per-week. When you see the price some people pay for a week in a hotel, it can even seem quite cheap!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Summer destinations often have specific changeover days by country, eg Tenerife's main UK days are Tue/Fri. Accommodation & organised activities then tend to be segregated by nationality.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I still think things will gradually become less rigid. More people are looking for long weekends, a few days "city break", or a 10 day holiday, and expecting the services to be there. I haven't holidayed in the USA for a long time, and never done a ski holiday there, but I believe it's right to say that holiday provision is much more flexible there - and, as we all know, where the US leads, the rest of the world tends to follow in the end.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pam w wrote:
I still think things will gradually become less rigid. More people are looking for long weekends, a few days "city break", or a 10 day holiday, and expecting the services to be there. I haven't holidayed in the USA for a long time, and never done a ski holiday there, but I believe it's right to say that holiday provision is much more flexible there - and, as we all know, where the US leads, the rest of the world tends to follow in the end.

The flexibility of the US resorts is based mostly around the fact thet, in general, the US have significantly less annual leave entitlement than us lucky europeans (10-20 days on avg compared with 20-35 days). Ski trips tend to focus on long weekends and 'holiday' weekends so there isn't the same level of demand for week long trips which enable operators to impose rigid rental periods. If you work weekends, however, you can get some amazingly good deals on mid-week accommodation and if you are out there for a week you will enjoy acres of quiet pistes Monday to Weds (until mid-afternoons when the schools finish for the day).
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Personally I think us "lazy europeans" should hang on to our paid leave, the situation in the States is hardly something to aspire to IMHO. Mind you I dunno why I'm saying that I'm working most of my holidays at the moment but it's work I enjoy rather than endure, which is what the 'day job' entails lol!

I've only ever had hassles in France with flexible dates but have found Austria, for example, far more flexible. However the easiest place in my experience is Scotland where people are generally happy to discuss dates and cater for unusual combinations of days - all that and no hassles with flights too! Toofy Grin
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The Americans do appear to have less holiday than Europeans - our DIL though has about 20 days, a lawyer and in her last firm then an entitlement of something like 10 extra days which were to be used in half-day, odd days, even a few hours at a time for things like dentist, doctor's appointments and the ability to attend school concerts. These days also had to be used if there was snow - the office would put a message on the phone and if it said that the office would open at 10.30 then all were expected to get there. If you couldn't then you had to use one of these occasional days - so there was a bit of hoarding the days till towards the end of the year.

Son though gets far fewer than 20 days - but then they do seem to get quite a few public holidays and these then get tacked on to weekends and are used for things like long weekend ski trips. And not that we know a lot of Americans, but some we have come across, rent accommodation in ski resorts between a big bunch and then different sets of people use the places for weekend trips.

We spent New Year in Vermont in 2009 - and booked Saturday to Saturday after staying with son and DIL. Now we can't remember exactly why we did book the rigid Sat-Sat - except that it gave us a few days with the family there before and after the trip, and we had people staying in our chalet here over the same time.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yes, I'm aware that the US generally has fewer paid leave days - my nephew has just 10! But I still think that much more flexible work and holiday patterns are a civilised aspiration. I once skied a day or so in Meribel, very early season last minute few days, with a guy who worked in a factory, making toilet rolls. He did 10 days straight, then had 5 days off - and in the winter he tried to use a good few of those 5 day breaks to go skiing. Seemed a very sound scheme to me! I've also skied with IT contractors and the like. By the time you add up all the people who DON'T have to do a rigid 5 days on, 2 days off, work pattern it adds up to a great deal of potential demand for flexible, non-peak, non weekend, travel. Especially if you include the increasingly affluent retired group.

Travel businesses who have the flexibility and creativity to respond will be the ones who do well. The days of "you'll get what you're given and be grateful" are over.

Even our French friends, having retired over a year ago, have slowly cottoned on to the fact that as they have their own apartment it's actually not completely essential to drive all through France to the Alps on a Saturday; they are coming on Tuesday or Wednesday next week.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pam w, Laughing Laughing . It's amazing how many owners arrive at their own properties on a Saturday. We've a fair few arrive on Friday evening though, having driven up from Marseille/Aix-en-Provence.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I tried to book a last minute TO package for 10th January using a Stansted-Chambery flight. I was told the flight waa fully booked but for a £19 supplement I could fly from Gatwick to Geneva. That was so lucky. Our flight was delayed on the tarmac at Gatwick for two hours while they cleared the snow at Geneva but we arrived in resort in time to collect hired skis. People in the same chalet flying to Chambery did not arrive until early Tuesday morning having spent the Sunday night still in England and then being flown to Milan. Crying or Very sad In future I will always try to fly to Geneva as Chambery is just too risky (fog, wind and snow) and, even when it's working, desperately overcrowded.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

even when it's working, desperately overcrowded

only at weekends. It's a dream on a Tuesday. wink
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Chambery is a dire airport. Are they still using the temporary blocks outside arrivals as toilets intended to serve the entire place?

It seems chalet operators are slowly becoming more flexible on holiday durations though. It may be a consequence of the traditional change-over day falling on Christmas and New Year's Days this year, or it could be a result of the 'crisis', but I've certainly noted more Thursday arrivals in resort this season. Independent chalet owners also report many more enquiries about shorter breaks but they are often reluctant to accept these just in case a full week booking comes along later and which won't leave the place empty for 3 or 4 days.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
albinomountainbadger wrote:
It may be a consequence of the traditional change-over day falling on Christmas and New Year's Days this year, or it could be a result of the 'crisis', but I've certainly noted more Thursday arrivals in resort this season. Independent chalet owners also report many more enquiries about shorter breaks but they are often reluctant to accept these just in case a full week booking comes along later and which won't leave the place empty for 3 or 4 days.

I think you have hit the nail on the head - it all bottles down to the age old macro-economic theories of supply and demand - if there is not enough demand for weekend based rigid 7 day package deals then the suppliers will have to adapt or go under - the independents have more flexibility and can adapt quicker..... simples snowHead
snow report
Chambery is the only airport in the area where I managed to be out of the airport less than 10 minutes after the plane had landed. Equally it's the only airport where I have been at a dinner function with something like 1000 other people within the check-in area... Not a bad airport when it all works.
latest report
Quote:

Chambery is the only airport in the area where I managed to be out of the airport less than 10 minutes after the plane had landed.

I've often done that at other places, but mostly on tiny islands. chambery was terrific - 30 metre walk to the car which had been parked FREE for five days within 30 metres of the terminal - it was pouring down, turned to snow when I started to climb up the mountains. Had to stop in a blizzard in Hauteluce and put the chains on. snowHead snowHead snowHead

The odd thing, when I did that, is that there was no sign of any immigration or customs. I just got off the plane, wandered out, and realised that I'd just walked straight off an international flight. Disorientating, but very pleasant. But it's just not built for massive crowds - or bad weather. I have seen people squabbling over the last croissant in the snack bar thing.
latest report
pam w, we've been there too. Always fine on arrival, but departure is another matter. We were once delayed for a few hours, early flight turned into mid-afternoon. Too early for chalet breakfast, and nothing at the airport. Not really much choice for lunch either.
latest report
If you are going to the Alps you could try driving.
I personally fly all too often with my work and although I have no intention of getting blown out of the sky by some nut job, I still fail to see what difference two 100ml cans of deodorant is over one 200ml can. My trips to Tignes are always by car. I always get there on schedule too. Very Happy
snow conditions
Split1950, driving is much preferable, despite delays over Christmas at Eurotunnel, it is still our preferred option.
snow conditions
The chaos that is Chambrey would have been a dream compared to the nightmare called Toulouse... Yesterday we were held on a coach in the car park for close on two hours until the aircraft was delayed over an hour. Then we were rushed through check-in and security without even the slightest glimpse of tax-free sales in the departure lounge.

Some of the ladies even had to toilet in the building site out-side the car-park after our two and half hour transfer and two hour enforced bus stop...

On the way out, Toulouse Airport Luggage Handlers had 200 Brits playing chase the suitcase round the carousel for over an hour. Great fun. They must have been laughing their Gallic heads off as they watched the CCTV...
rolling eyes
latest report
WayneC, doesn't sound as bad as Chambery TBH.
snow report
Helen Beaumont, perhaps you're right, however, at least at Chambery we were allowed to use the toilets and cafe facilities, while the chaos ensued. At Toulouse we weren't even allowed in the terminal. Sad
ski holidays
Hi, new to Snowheads Little Angel

Booking a late deal to Les Arcs this week, options are Geneva or Chambery - was really keen on Chambery but looking at the reviews I'm not so sure, is it really as bad as quoted on a Saturday transfer??

Thanks
snow report
snowfig, welcome to snowheads. snowHead Depends on the weather. we're not far from Chambery and it's absolutely chucking it down at the moment - and to quite low altitude, judging by the temperature. I wouldn't like to be flying into Chambery tomorrow. Indeed, I would prefer not to be going anywhere tomorrow, except possibly out to find a bit of fresh powder. wink
snow report
Thanks Pam - I think Geneva is gonna get my vote, this is my only skiing this year so hanging around at airports would really pee me off Smile
ski holidays
snowfig, welcom to snoheads. I'd take Chambery over Geneva anyday. Geneva's a bloody awful airport if youre going via the cattle shed they call the tour-op hall. Chambery is smaller and closer to the tarentaise
ski holidays
snowfig, welcome to snowHeads. Whilst I agree that Geneva is horrible, I absolutely hate it, it seems to be more easily able to cope with bad weather than Chambery.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
stoatsbrother wrote:
Ernst Goldsmith, Being an alumnus of the latter, I would love to agree.

However - as OUP are responsible for "Wobble Bear Gets Busy" I feel you may be overstating your case... snowHead

Looks like a class act to me.
snow conditions
Quote:
imagine it is quite hard to land a plane when you can't see and don't have the guidance systems

Unless of course you are one of the pilots that can fly into Chambery and are so skilled you could do it in fog? Most people struggle to drive at normal speeds in fog, never mind land large aircraft at what is already an awkward place to land.

Or as our pilot put it - to a woman who asked why he wasn't going to make the reverse approach, in the dark..

"Well madam - there is an awful lot of ground about"

Depature from the uk was delayed 23hours 55 - am I cynical to think it's not a coincidence?

Talked to a guy who was sat on the tarmac at lyon for 7 hours waiting to gewt off the aircraft. I've always had a delay at Chambery - at least 1 way. I think that's part of the charm.
ski holidays
took a photo of Chambery airport today

snow report
That's a great photo - could the airport possibly be any closer to the lake *gulp*

Spot the nervous flyer lol
snow report
snowfig wrote:
That's a great photo - could the airport possibly be any closer to the lake *gulp*

Yes you can extend the runway into the sea
ski holidays
I see there's a very large crucifix in the foreground
latest report
snowfig wrote:

When you are at the airport you never realise how close the lake is. If you take the Geneve to Chambery train (if they are not on strike like at the mo.) you pass along the right side of the lake.

My grandparents lived in algeciras and from their apartment you could watch the planes take off and land at Gib. At the time they couldn't use Spanish airspace and had to make a very hard bank after takeoff. My grandpa had seen one plane not make the takeoff and plunge into the harbour. We went out to las Lineas to take a look at the wreck. Las Lineas was a ghost town after Franco had closed the border and wrecked the local economy.
snow report
[quote="davidof"]
snowfig wrote:

When you are at the airport you never realise how close the lake is. If you take the Geneve to Chambery train (if they are not on strike like at the mo.) you pass along the right side of the lake.

My grandparents lived in algeciras and from their apartment you could watch the planes take off and land at Gib. At the time they couldn't use Spanish airspace and had to make a very hard bank after takeoff. My grandpa had seen one plane not make the takeoff and plunge into the harbour. We went out to las Lineas to take a look at the wreck. Las Lineas was a ghost town after Franco had closed the border and wrecked the local economy.

I'm going to come over all David Goldsmith. My grandpa was a brilliant man but couldn't stand children so I didn't really know him before he died. He was the chief engineer for Iraq before the war and built the entire Bagdad water treatment system. It was still in use up to the war but was badly damaged by US and UK bombing.

I remember our trips around Spain in his old Triumph 2000 which he used to drive down from England non-stop. The country was hardly developed and we used to drive out to towns straight out of a Spagetti western on dirt roads. Sometimes bridges had been washed out by rains and we grandpa would drive down and across a dried up river bed while we walked across.
ski holidays
[quote="davidof"]
davidof wrote:
snowfig wrote:

My grandparents lived in algeciras and from their apartment you could watch the planes take off and land at Gib. At the time they couldn't use Spanish airspace and had to make a very hard bank after takeoff. Half the runway was on a pier in the harbour. My grandpa had seen one plane not make the takeoff and plunge into the harbour. We went out to las Lineas to take a look at the wreck. Las Lineas was a ghost town after Franco had closed the border and wrecked the local economy.

I'm going to come over all David Goldsmith. My grandpa was a brilliant man but couldn't stand children so I didn't really know him before he died. He was the chief engineer for Iraq before the war and built the entire Bagdad water treatment system. It was still in use up to the war but was badly damaged by US and UK bombing.

I remember our trips around Spain in his old Triumph 2000 which he used to drive down from England non-stop. The country was hardly developed and we used to drive out to towns straight out of a Spagetti western on dirt roads. Sometimes bridges had been washed out by rains and we grandpa would drive down and across a dried up river bed while we walked across.
ski holidays
davidof, Did you take that on appoach? Happy
It's no wonder pilots need a special rating for Chambrey, having to just miss those trees and then stop before skidding into the pond at the end. I suppose the cross is from a failed attempt?

wink
snow report
I don't think it's the trees and the pond that pose the problems - the mountains, more likely. If I had to ditch, I think I'd prefer the lake to any of the options.....

davidof, shame your grandfather couldn't stand children; he must have been a fascinating man.
ski holidays
If this is such a tin-pot airport, how come Ryanair do not fly there, as they go to every other tin pot in Europe.
Laughing
Maybe if more customers voted with their feet, and chose flights on airlines who have aircraft capable of landing in fog (Cat3) that go into airports with the the required ground equipment to do so, the tour operators who use this cheap second rate option would reconsider their position.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy