Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How long have you been skiing?

Poster: A snowHead
It's amazing how after 41 years of sliding around the place I still don't do it as well as I want to! I have no idea how much money I've spent on this nonsense. I blame the equipment. Which is why my Beta Ride 11.20s are soon to be consigned to the ski graveyard in my cellar and will be replaced by a pair of Metron b5s. Or should those be M:EXs? Or maybe those Voelkl Gottama thingies? Or Pistols? I did like those Blizzard FAT babes (what were they called again), and they definitely made my skiing perfect. In fact, I need more than one new set of skis. After that everything will be much better. And of course I still need the old P10s and P20s and P30s and 11.20s for the days when I don't want to risk damaging the new skis. My wife will understand.
P.S Shame I sold the P9s now I think about it...
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've been skiing 1 year, 1 month and 6 days! - a total of 70 (and counting) days on snow, including every weekend since the start of this season, which was October 23rd '04! And I've got 9 days straight starting this weekend! I'm a very happy snow bunny at the moment. Very Happy snowHead
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Mike Lawrie, that's just sad, blaming your skis, as an expert skier I can use any pair of skis of course wink

Obviously, the real problem is boots, not having the perfect flex and support for all conditions is really holding back my skiing...

.... and the snow, it was too heavy yesterday, too thin at the weekend, too icy last week, too much before that and not enough before that...

.....but, on the right day, with the right boots, I'm really quite good..

(if I've got the right temperature wax on the skis of course )
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

and the snow, it was too heavy yesterday, too thin at the weekend, too icey last week, too much before that and not enough before that

ise, Now that is wierd. Every ski holiday and I suffer the same problems. Life is not fair.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
A couple of times per season, now aged 39 Sad started with the school when I was 12.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Since 1971 on and off just about remember the Leather boots I wore the first time and the length of the ski being judged by your height plus the length of your arm to the finger tips. Also fairly regularly on plastic since early 80's when Dendix was just being introduced taking over from a rather horrible solid plastic material.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Only twice so far damit Crying or Very sad
But going to Meribel in 2 days Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Started 4 years ago (now 30), and I too blame parents for not introducing me to this fine sport much earlier.
Would have been every year since but birth of daughter somehow got in the way wink
can't wait till next year when she will be joining me on the slopes.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
27 years, with only one year out when I was in Oz. I should definitely be better - that's what comes of just whizzing round the mountains having fun with friends and not having many lessons.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Since I was 4 - making it 34 in total with 1 year when I didn't ski at all (idiot - clearly got my priorities wrong).

As an aside, I read once that it's harder to start if you start after the age of 7 or so, as that's when your brain "hardwires" your sense of sliding and other ski-related dynamics. Which makes it more difficult to adapt to sliding, skidding and skiing in general.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Its ten years since I first set foot on a snowboard!

Eleven years ago I went skiing for the first time with a girlfriend who was a keen skier but a bit snooty about snowboarders. I had known from the outset that I was born to slide sideways but I humored her and let her teach me to ski.

A year later my circumstances had changed and I headed off on a second ski holiday with some pals to Bormio in Italy. Most of the others had been skiing a few times and persuaded me that I should ski with them rather than spend my time falling over on the bunny slopes. As the end of the holiday approached I was desperate to try a snowboard and cajoled the most adventurous member of the group into joining me for the last day.

We strapped in and headed up the nearest short drag lift (getting the hang of that was half the battle) then we just went for it. We had no instruction but tried to copy the riders we had seen. I was hooked from the first turn.

I spent the rest of the afternoon falling on my head and laughing with delight, meanwhile my friend was struggling with the drag lift and gave up out of caution when he saw me perform a particularly acrobatic head plant (happily he tried again a few years later and has long since given up skiing).

Amazingly, a photo from that very first day survives. Note the ski boots and plate bindings and the 1980s hand-me-down C&A "ski wear"!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Only 4 yrs for me , but 8 weeks and off on sunday to StAnton on sunday to make it 10weeks.i am well and truly hooked and like to think a fantastic skier Cool
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ise,
Quote:

and the snow, it was too heavy yesterday, too thin at the weekend, too icy last week, too much before that and not enough before that

Well that's where my multiple ski strategy really works. I have skis for all conceivable types of snow, so I never end up in the situation where I have to blame the snow for my poor performance (on the mountain). Unfortunately I have not yet figured out a way of carrying three pairs around with me so I can adapt to variable conditions on the fly.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Mike Lawrie, snow monkeys... lots of them to follow you around with all your gear. for travel to the mountain, a skipass, a place to sleep and a few hours off each day (note: day - ie when its light and the slopes are open) i'd willingly provide this service, i estimate that i could sufficiently carry a pair of skis with ease... perhaps two pairs if really needed.

think a caddy for skiing, but without such bad dress sense... "hmmm, this black looks quite icy, id recommend the carvers...."
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Only 4 yrs but managed the entire season last year so I feel I am starting to make a dent in the deficit somewhat. Off to St Anton on Sunday for 2 weeks with mistermouse.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Started 2 years ago but worryingly worked out I've been on the slopes over 300 days in that time and I am still rubbish! Thats over 40 years worth of skiing if I had been once a year. So I have made up for lost time.
snow report
chris, you lucky b..... snowHead
ski holidays
About 21 year overall in time scale, but there were a few very long breaks in that Sad

chris, You say you have been on the slopes for over 300 days and still rubbish. You want to get out the bar more! wink
ski holidays
It was ten years ago ,
My first trip to the snow,
I was twenty eight,
Guess i started quite late.
ski holidays
Like most of you started far too late about 17 years ago (wow am I really old now or what) being doing two weeks (or a week and a long weekend) a season since 94 or 95, still not any good, but who cares.
snow report
34 seasons. The first few, I skied 100-140 days per year. For a number of seasons in the middle, I only got a few days in here and there. Last year I got about 30, and this year will be between 30 and 40. So, all things are not equal.

D G Orf, can still rip better than me, even though I have a full season on him! snowHead Cool wink
latest report
ssh, yeah , buts who 'looks' the best wink
snow conditions
pistenbully, is that a haiku?
ski holidays
mistermouse, DG wins that one, too! Twisted Evil
snow conditions
Weekends in Cairngorm 1968, first holiday in Kingussie in 1970 where the road to the resort was blocked for 5 days due to unexpected rolling eyes snow. Discovered Europe in 1971. Skied 10 weeks last season but this one looks like only 6 or 7.
Quote:

ise, Quote:

and the snow, it was too heavy yesterday, too thin at the weekend, too icy last week, too much before that and not enough before that

We must all have been on the same mountain at the same time Toofy Grin
latest report
Not long enough Laughing
snow conditions
4th week coming up on saturday. Started at 32....also have had words with the parents!
snow report
10 years for me, but unfortunatly that also includes a 7 year gap between a school skiing trip and last years trip to Saalbach, but I'm hooked once again.

Also amazed to find that I hadn't really forgoten anything after 7 years.

I just hope I don't find myself with another 7 year gap any time in the future.
snow conditions
1 week each 1960/61 school trip; 1 week each 1972/73 with wife & friends Mrs K didn't really take to it so 25 years in the wilderness then
1 week per year since 1998.
Amazingly on first afternoon back on the slopes after 25 years found myself on top of Mt Vallon and managed to get down OK. I think I'm either getting better or maybe just wiser as I get older because I don't seem to fall over quite so much these days and it's only 3 more years and I can get a discount on the lift pass!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ssh,
Quote:

D G Orf, can still rip better than me, even though I have a full season on him!

Ehhh ?... Puzzled

Quote:

mistermouse, DG wins that one, too!

Are you certain about that Confused I'm not Sad
ski holidays
D G Orf, well, we'll just have to figure out how to find out. Any plans on dropping over the pond? I'd love to get to the continent to ski, but I'll have to find another excuse that will be tougher. Hard to sell a 2000 mile trip to ski when we have world class skiing practically at our back door!
snow report
ssh, no I don't think you'd have any problems beating me, unless of course it was in a race to catch up with someone like Milla Jovovich (though I have no idea if she skis), my skiing prowess increases exponentially according to the level of attractiveness of the female I ski with, usually because I stop concentrating on my skiing when I have something better to concentrate on wink

By the way what the heck does "can still rip better than me" actually mean ?
snow conditions
David Murdoch, this is a haiku:

I first wear a ski
The year I am twenty-three -
Fifteen years now flee Shocked
snow conditions
slikedges:

very cleverly,
written poetry I see,
saved for posterity.
latest report
D G Orf, I had to Google Milla. Gives you an idea what I know, eh?

"rip" is a slang term around here for "get down the mountain in style" usually implying a level of difficulty above most skiers'.

I suspect that we'd have a bunch of fun skiing together. I'm putting together another video montage. Take a look and let me know what you think. In looking at them, though, I'm realizing how slow I was skiing when I was skiing for the camera!
latest report
ssh, ah thank you, my previous comment still applies though Laughing
ski holidays
slikedges,

Thank you!

London - snow descends,
awakens fond memories;
as does lunchtime beer...
snow conditions
Kramer, David Murdoch,

Wind and rain and sleet -
Snow heads for the mountain peaks
Flying floating bliss
ski holidays
Been skiing since I was about 9, so thats about 25 years. Used to live in Aberdeen, so managed to get to Glenshee most weekends. Had a 15 year break but back into it big time again now?
snow report
10 years snowboarding in France and Italy totalling about 12 weeks.....4 hours skiing last Friday at Tamworth.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy