Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

BA - Baggage changes.. again

Poster: A snowHead
BA's new baggage policy....

http://www.britishairways.com/travel/bagsport/public/en_gb

So. It looks like you can still carry skis / boots free of charge if the whole lot comes in at under 23kg, although it doesn't appear to say if you can have two extra bags (skis and boots) as long as they are within the 23Kg (as if they would).

So you have to pay an extra bag fee (28GBP) if you are over the 23Kg with skis/boots, which is not inconceivable Confused .
...But will that cover both a ski and boot bag as long as the combined weight is less than 23kg, or is it 28GPB each for ski and boot bag??

Try getting that information out of BA, anyone had any more luck than me?

Contemplating driving this year, not just because of the baggage charges, but that contributes.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
allanm,

The way I read it you will have to pay an extra bag fee for both skis and boots if over your allowance.

From the BA website:

"We will accept all skis and snowboards as the majority of skis comply with maximum dimensions.

Preparing skis and snowboards for travel:

skis and snowboards must be packed in a recognised ski or snowboard bag
ski boots should be packed in your checked baggage where possible to avoid additional cost

Note: Remember each bag that exceeds your free checked baggage allowance will incur an excess baggage fee."

I think your sporting equipment and clothing has to all be in one bag and be less than 23kgs, as you are still only allowed one bag unless an Exec Club silver member or above. Time to invest in a snowboard bag i think!!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
beanie1, Yes, now that I read again in the context 'there is no additional allowance' you are quite correct.
I was thinking that if the combined weight of boot bag and skis were under 23Kg that would be one charge.
Ta
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I am convinced the bagage policy makers at all airlines are regular readers of SnowHeads and collude to change their policies regularly just to have fun and see the confusion and havoc it wreaks on this forum...
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'm looking forward to my "look, I booked these in June, just let me on the plane with my bags" argument I'm definitely having when I fly in a few weeks...
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
DaveC, You're going to have te argument even if (as will probably be the case), they just let you straight on?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
one big board bag stuffed to 23 kg and a heavy cabin bag = no charge Very Happy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Flew BA the other day (1st time in years). Apparently, the cattle class allowance for handbaggage is 1 normal bit of handbaggage that fits the maximum dimensions, plus 1 laptop (or 1handbag, but not both). Plenty of business types in cattle class with full size wheely things, plus huge bags almost the same size that presumably have a laptop section. Of course you need to do Ryanair style rugby scrum boarding to make sure you get enough overhead locker space to fit 2 non-squashable bags, but if you take the eeePC (or netbook of your choice) on vacation you could get extra hand baggage for free.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rayscoops, absolutely. So next time I fly BA to ski I'll be putting all my heavy kit and toiletries in a board bag, and all my clothes in a weekend bag.

When my boyfriend and I flew out to Hong Kong we had 10 (yes 10!) pieces of baggage (hold and cabin) between us, without incurring any extra charges. Actually make that 11 - I had a weekend bag, laptop bag AND a handbag as cabin baggage. They never check that - if they get silly you can just put your handbag inside one of the other bags. We were in premium economy and it was before they changes the rules, but even so, I was impressed!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Erm sorry to rain on your parade guys but I called them the other day and there is no free allowance for 2nd lugguge even if board/ski. The price £28 if you pay before you fly or £35 on the day. New rules changed 1 Oct 09. Someone please double check if poss.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
andy, The size of the laptop or hand bag is a grey area too. My 'laptop' bag was a 20 litre rucksack absolutely crammed. Did that 6 times last season, so guess that is OK.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Gainz, That is absolutely correct, to quote BA... 'there is no additional allowance'.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Book with Swiss then send wee Willie an email letting him know how he's lost your business and hoping he had a good time with the Vegas showgirls. Apparently customer demand was for a simplified baggage policy (simplified in favour of the airline by any chance).
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Gainz, I don't think anyone is disputing that....the posters are talking about taking extra carry on luggage, which isn't as rigorously checked. You can still take skis or boards in place of your checked luggage allowance providing its not over 23kg. So stuff your board bag to the limit and take the rest as hand luggage and if you're really desperate, stuff you laptop bag as well.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
DaveC wrote:
I'm looking forward to my "look, I booked these in June, just let me on the plane with my bags" argument I'm definitely having when I fly in a few weeks...

Im lookig forward to that too. I am just going to take a print of the website which states that the new booking conditions effect bookings made from July.
snow report
Gainz wrote:
Erm sorry to rain on your parade guys but I called them the other day and there is no free allowance for 2nd lugguge even if board/ski. The price £28 if you pay before you fly or £35 on the day. New rules changed 1 Oct 09. Someone please double check if poss.

no one talking about second hold bag, just one big bag with a board in checked in to the hold - just as I have been doing with the budget airlines to avoid checking in (and paying for) a second hold bag, and then a stuffed hand luggage band
latest report
DaveC wrote:

I have a BA frequent flyer (BA credit card with airmiles) account and they emailed me to tell me that even though the rules have changed they were honouring my baggage allownace from my booking that I made before they changed the rules, so you should be ok Very Happy
snow report
I'm planning on taking advantage of the hand luggage. One laptop bag (fairly old one designed for the older, heavier, chunkier laptops) with laptop and hard drive in, padded with clothing, and one hand luggage bag, again stuffed with clothing, plus my hold bag with everything else in. The down side of flying out when working a season!

Having said that, I've flown with BA several times and never had my hand luggage checked...
ski holidays
Sitter, Yes, 56x45x25 is a reasonable size bag, and you can put heavy stuff in too. I'm up to Edinburgh in the morning, I'll take a normal cabin bag (56x45x25) and slightly smaller (ancient knackered) bag just with laptop.. see what they say. I can bin the bag and carry laptop if they do protest.
snow conditions
I have a double ski bag but not sure about packing my skis + boots in + helmet in it. It's all gone a bit bonkers hasn't it?
ski holidays
For those that can fly with Swiss or Baboo, no charges with them, not sure about Lufthansa and Austrian
ski holidays
Went through Heathrow this morning (BA) with one max size bag and one not much smaller (but no wheels) both as cabin bagage. Don't think anyone noticed though... You could get a lot of kit in these two bags, so perhaps you could get away with one big bag in the hold with skis / board and two in the cabin.
snow report
There is an article in the November Skiing magazine all about the different airlines and their charges for skiis. Looks like Swiss is the way to go. BA longhual £72 EACH WAY ???? It's a complete mine field.
ski holidays
booked last week. you get 23kg and 1 hold bag for free. If you can get eveything including skis & clothing into a single 23kg bag you are on to a winner. anthing else that needs to go in the hold is an extra £56 (return).
snow report
joydivision ok mate I get it. I'd rather pay the 28 quid and be comfortable...

but what I did do was to sell both my boards. screw it, cant be arsed to lug 'em around this year !
latest report
BA have lost my ski business to North America as a result of this policy. Its more the hypocrisy after years of marketing themselves as the skier friendly airline that gets me rather than just cost. Plus the constant threat of their sour faced cabin crew striking doesn't fill me with hope
snow report
fatbob, same. Will need to find a new airline for the seasonal commute, since BA have reversed every reason I've flown with them in the past.
snow report
fatbob, Absolutely!! Seconded! It's not the cost, it's principle (38 squid...??). I thought BA were a cut above.. seems they're not. It'll cost me me far more to drive down, but pretty determined, now, to do it. As in all walks of life, if you don't like, walk (mmm long way)
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

BA have lost my ski business to North America as a result of this policy. Its more the hypocrisy after years of marketing themselves as the skier friendly airline that gets me rather than just cost. Plus the constant threat of their sour faced cabin crew striking doesn't fill me with hope

Absolutely agree. But when a company is on the brink, desperation sets in, and they start abandoming all their principles in a desperate struggle for survival.

I completed a customer recently, and one of the questions asked was "Would you be saddened if BA were to disappear?". Strange question to ask your customers!!
snow conditions
BA seem to be desperately vague on this.

In their FAQ on changes to their baggage policy:
"
- From 10 November 2009 the online charge to check in a second extra bag above your free allowance will increase to £72 ($112) or the local equivalent.
- The cost of extra bags on UK domestic routes is the same as shorthaul European services at £35 per bag.

AND:

If you booked your flight from 31 July for travel from 7 October 2009:
- If you check in an item of sporting equipment in addition to your free checked baggage allowance, you will be charged £40 per bag on longhaul or £35 on shorthaul flights at the airport. A discount of at least 20% is available if you pay online for extra baggage before check-in.

If you booked your flight before 31 July for travel from 7 October 2009

You can still take your sporting equipment for free if you bring your original e-ticket receipt, created at the time of booking, with you to the airport."

The last sentence says to me that I can take my 2 pieces of luggage plus a ski bag - although this is not what BA say elsewhere on their site.
snow conditions
DazUltra wrote:

The last sentence says to me that I can take my 2 pieces of luggage plus a ski bag - although this is not what BA say elsewhere on their site.

Only if you booked before 31st July.
snow report
beanie1, I agree their actions seem directed at levelling the gap between them and the low cos/american carriers in terms of add on charges. However they don't have the luxury of the employment terms that the low cos have, nor the benefit of rolling chapter 11 protection that the US carriers operate under (plus low customer service standards are almost a market expectation over there). If they don't differentiate its hard to see what their compelling advantage is (other than holder of a lot of slots at LHR).
latest report
fatbob, I agree, they need to differentiate themselves. But they're obviously struggling, and I think when companies get to that stage they often abandon their key principles, what made them different from their competitors. I saw it happen with my former emlployer, and other companies. It's a downward spiral from there I think!
ski holidays
Bear with me here - so, just to clarify - if we booked before 31/07 we can take 1 main bag up to 23 kgs each plus 1 boot bag each at no extra charge ? I wonder if its worth me mailing them and getting that confirmed to avoid any issues when we check in ?
latest report
mikeh wrote:
Bear with me here - so, just to clarify - if we booked before 31/07 we can take 1 main bag up to 23 kgs each plus 1 boot bag each at no extra charge ? I wonder if its worth me mailing them and getting that confirmed to avoid any issues when we check in ?

Just found a reference on their website, hidden in the booking FAQ's. If you booked before 31/07 just bring your original booking receipt and you will get the original baggage allowance - ie 23 kgs plus sports equipment
snow conditions
Quote:

Just found a reference on their website, hidden in the booking FAQ's. If you booked before 31/07 just bring your original booking receipt and you will get the original baggage allowance - ie 23 kgs plus sports equipment

I can't find this on their website. Do you have a link?
snow report
Rob T

http://www.britishairways.com/travel/askbainter/public/en_gb

click on
7 Updated - Baggage and sporting policy changes
snow report
For those hoping to take all their gear in a large board bag as their single piece of free hold luggage, I think you'd better give BA a call to check.

The BA website states the free checked baggage allowance is one "standard sized" bag.

Another page describes a checked baggage "standard size" bag as max 90cm x 75cm x 43cm Sad
latest report
Wags, Check the section about taking sporting equipment.

From the BA website:

We will accept all skis and snowboards as the majority of skis comply with maximum dimensions.

Preparing skis and snowboards for travel:

skis and snowboards must be packed in a recognised ski or snowboard bag
ski boots should be packed in your checked baggage where possible to avoid additional cost
Note: Remember each bag that exceeds your free checked baggage allowance will incur an excess baggage fee.

To me that says you can take you're skis/boards as checked baggage. I guess a standard size bag is a bag that doesn;t need to go to oversized baggage. There are bigger maximum dimensions for sporting equipment.

...again, from BAs website:

Size:

a standard size bag must not exceed 90cm x 75cm x 43cm (35.5ins x 29.5ins x 16ins), including the handle, pockets and wheels.
a non-standard sized bag must not exceed 190cm x 75cm x 65cm (75ins x 29.5ins x 25.5ins), including the handle, pockets and wheels.
ski holidays
joydivision, Yes they'll accept your skis as a non-standard sized bag. But it's still not part of your free allowance!

Unless you ride on blades I'd phone them before you book.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy