Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Arcs 2009/2010

Poster: A snowHead
The weekend forecast looks colder and snowier, so I dont think there is anything to worry about. I'm back here on the 7th and it will be great Smile
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Back in sunny Toofy Grin Les Arcs again. Had some good powder for a day and now, well I guess everyone else has already saved me the effort, rain, rain and more rain. At one point today even at the top of Transarc, yuk Evil or Very Mad

Hope it looks better in the morning, Sad snowHead
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rob@rar, that sounds good - we will be there Saturday

Still unless my eyes deceive me - there is snow and therefore I will be skiing, even if cold and wet and icy.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Couple of quick questions for the locals.

Do the 2 supermarkets in Bourg open on Sundays during season and what times?

Also which of the 2 is the better?

Thanks
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
There are 2 big supermarkets in Bourg, the best one is definitely Super U, it is the largest, has excellent fruit & Veg, and good serve over counters for fish, meat and cheese. It has about 15 check outs, but is not normally open on Sunday.
The other one , next door, is Intermarche, smaller, had a revamp last year, is much improved, and is open on Sunday mornings. I was there last Sunday, and it was packed.
There is also a new cut price, but small supermarket (Like Aldi) next to MacDonald's, it only opened in October. I went there also last Sunday, it was open, but deserted, I was the only customer! I was not impressed, the range is very limited, and it has a long way to go...
Finally there is a Lidl on the main road from Moutiers, on the right a short distance before the railway station, next to a big ski shop, gets quite busy, I don't know if it is open on Sunday, you could always phone 'em!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Lunchtime greetings from 1950

well this morning didn't start well with rain up to Varet, and no lifts open in the 2000 bowl above Marmottes. We went over the combourciere which was at least snowing, then down to Villards, originally attempting to get to Peisey and the trees. However, the need to get back for ski-school finish time at 12 curtailed that idea, and besides, everything below tranarc midstation was " like spring skiing but without the sun". And raining. Yuk.
Transarc only went midway, so we queued for Gd Reynard: Surprising quick given length of Q, - maybe because no ski schools pushing in on it! But worth remembering, its not as bad as it looks.

Back into 2000 bowl and the snow began to come down heavily. I mean seriously heavily. We're back in 1950 for lunch and it is... tonking. It's not too wet (unlike us, having spent the morning in the rain) , settling, and just snowing snowing snowing. Whoohooo! Wind at the top was still quite breezy, so may blow it off, but down here its just straight down snow, with the odd gust. Unless the freezing line rises up again, You will see some serious depths being reported tomorrow.

Back out for night skiing tonight, its going to be fantastic.

J
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
1950 webcams still showing very heavy snow falling, hopeful for next week if it stays cold Smile
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
andytb, Thats a big 'if' Sad
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Boredsurfing, It will, you are heading home Razz NehNeh
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
thefatcontroller, Laughing Laughing
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I live in Plan Peisey, and the sleet has just changed to real SNOW, and it is settling. Our house is at 1700 metres and the temperature has also dropped to zero degrees. It is just 2 pm., and hopefully the temperature will drop even more during nightfall. Roll on tomorrow! It could be a good day...
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Boredsurfing, Leaving 9am tomorrow. Loading car in between surfin. Cool Cool
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Still snowing, about 3or 4 inches in the 1950 village since midday. Visibility poor, due to huge amounts of snow fall. Popped into the usual haunt of snowcrazy - barman says he was in this morning, saying his tame mountain gurus are predicting three days like this.

Oh mummy...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
thefatcontroller wrote:
Boredsurfing, Leaving 9am tomorrow. Loading car in between surfin. Cool Cool

That explains why it's justt stopped snowing Sad
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

saying his tame mountain gurus are predicting three days like this.

Good will be there in 3 days time
ski holidays
Just in from the night skiing - stopped snowing about 6:30. Pistes and powder in wonderful condition - falls into deep stuff don't even register on the damp meter of the coat and gloves. Unlike this morning when you could wring them out.

Skies now cleared so should be cold overnight, and a full moon to make the whole thing just picture perfect.

Anyone know what the light show on the blacks above 2000 is in aid of? - looks like a HUGE mirror ball is being bounced off them - or an ET or Encounter of 3rd Kind moment. Been there for the past couple of nights. Spectacular but a little unnerving!
snow conditions
Right we're of for a long leisurely drive through France, see you Saturday Cool
ski holidays
thefatcontroller, Enjoy - we're leaving at 4am tomorrow
ski holidays
thefatcontroller, Boris, Give me a wave if you see us going the other way Saturday morning Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Boredsurfing, Will be in resort for 10am Saturday to steal an extra days skiing so enjoy the traffic jams Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Boredsurfing, Leave early Shocked The crowds coming towards the resorts when we were leaving last Saturday were mind-boggling Shocked The queue wasvirtually stationary from where we turned onto the A423 Shocked Shocked
ski holidays
Have a good trip you lot. Am out to Vallandry myself on saturday and this thread has kept me sane!
ski holidays
we'll be there too this weekend. Can anyone tell me what the new black pistes "natur" are like up around the 2000 bowl - apart from unpisted - in the current conditions?
ski holidays
Whats the current news on the conditions..? The snow report is all over the place! It didnt rain again high up did it...please nooooo.

Be there Sunday fingers crossed for more snow =)
snow report
I was packing today - driving home tomorrow Sad raining here in bourg most of the day but the snow line looked to fluctuate between 1600-1300m at a guess. It's dark now so can't see, but suffice to say if you're coming on Sunday, head high and it'll be great - don't panic!
ski holidays
Happy New Year everyone.

Jamie, if you are out all season do you fancy meeting up with some of the locals. PM me with your contact details.

For everyone coming out DO NOT PANIC. It is still snowing, third day in a row, at least high up. Not had much time to post in the last few days, to busy in the powder and the bar Toofy Grin

As JimW, said, very wet lower down, it is raining right now in the valley, but snowing on the mountain above 1300m. If you are driving up in the next few days you will need chains for the last push or winter tyres. If you do not have one or other then the police might stop you as there have been a few crashes on the road up this week.

Ski conditions.
The conditions of the higher pistes are great mostly. Good covering today and fresh powder on top, but there are icy patches that can catch you out. Going into 2000 and 1950 can be busy right now and the fresh snow is scrapped down to icy bits in many places, so slow down, there have been a few collisions this week being so busy. The Grand Col area is in good condition but rather wind swept and icy in places. But the off piste near the piste was great fun. The Varet and AR is still closed and there was an Avalanche today in the nature reserve behind Lanchette so please please take care. I heard three people were caught but have no other info right now. The Bois de l'ours area has excellent powder and loads of fun as was the central ridge of the 2000 bowl but everywhere is well tracked but holding up with deep, but heavy snow.

On the 1800, 1600 side the slopes above bottom of Arpette, Mid station of Transarc, bottom of Grand Renard and above middle road on Cachette are all in good condition. The Malgovert is great fun and so is the 1600 forest if you know the routes, but take care, there are cliffs to avoid. The Deux Tetes is in excellent condition but 'closed' Evil or Very Mad still Toofy Grin not that I am suggesting you break the rules of course.

Villaroger above turn off for lower lifts is in good condition but going down below this point is limited to one open blue piste and not in very good condition. The red above this has great snow but the odd hidden icy patch. The near off piste is also great fun but everywhere is getting quite tracked out now.

The Peisey Vallandry area above the middle road and the Derby lift is great fun, on and off piste is in good condition although heavy in the forest but loads of jumps and natural play areas. Going down into any of the stations is icy on hard packed pistes and you need to be very careful, falling will hurt. The off piste although good is still quite thin in the forest so take care looking out for tree branches and roots just under the snow. They can hurt Twisted Evil

All the natur ride areas across the resort are well covered mostly but many are still 'closed' Evil or Very Mad

Well that is enough for tonight, will try to add more in the next few days. It has been a great week skiing with loads of people in ALL KINDS of conditions. Twisted Evil snowHead

Anyone that is coming out, post here or PM me if you want to meet up for a ski or to go boarding. Oh yeah and remember I am not a qualified guide or ski instructor but i do know the place well, been here a few Toofy Grin years now as some of you are aware but do not expect me to be teaching you, I just like to have fun when we are out in the white stuff Toofy Grin . With the fresh snow that is falling right now the next few days promise to be VERY NICE Very Happy so I will try to add a few pics if I have the time.

Hope to see some of you out here, enjoy Toofy Grin
latest report
thanks for the detailed infosnowcrazy, that will really help our mixed ability group as we venture up from Peisey
latest report
Have the conditions down to the lower resorts improved? Such as Peisey-Vallandry or Vilaroger. I've heared that, as recently as yesterday, skiing down to these resorts was a no go.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snowcrazy, Is Malgovert open?
I was hoping it would be shut until later in the season Wink

tux
snow report
No queue at channel tunnel but stuck in complete gridlock in Arc 2000. Aghhhhh. About 100 yards from apartment but not moved for about 30 minutes. Police here but a complete mess.
snow report
hi sorry to Little Angel here about gridlock situation, we go to1800 on the 23 jan is it always a problem leaving resort we fly from chambery at lunch time how long should we leave to get there. thanks charlie
snow report
snowcrazy wrote:
... there was an Avalanche today in the nature reserve behind Lanchette so please please take care. I heard three people were caught but have no other info right now.

Further info from LesArcs.net. It's not good news.
ski holidays
Was an hour stuck 100 yards from apartment up in 2000. It was chaos, not helped by forkwits drivers (all French) getting bored in the queue and coming up around the queue on the outside. Madness. I would say a few transfers were missed. Huge snow in resort on roads. Managed well though with winter tyres on car.

Now to the skiing! Snowing heavy up in 2000 bowl. Brutally cold. So much blasting going on. Had to go and take refuge in Valentinos in 1950 for pizza and beer. Kids very cold.

More later
ski holidays
Rob.....

Very sad. Extreme care needs to be taken out there and lots more snow forecast for tomorrow and Monday
snow report
We'll be driving from Geneva to Peisey on Sunday, flight gets in about 3 so we'll probably be getting close to resort about 7...Im hoping to avoid bad traffic by that time but we'll be leaving on Saturday morning...anyone have any tips/routes from peisey for not getting stuck in traffic..?

Cheers
R.
snow report
kangarolf, Sunday traffic should be fine. It's only busy Saturdays that get snarled up.
latest report
See you tomorrow, Folks
snow report
kangarolf, Consider leaving very early, the big exodus is usually between 9 & 10. There's only one way in and one way out... by car, at least.
ski holidays
All, soryr haven't updated for a couple of days - internet conenction ran out...

Left on Friday afternoon in heavy snow, freezing line was at about le Grange midstation on the funicular. Winter tyres a must. Rained heavily all the way to Geneva, where we were staying with relatives. Caught the Baboo flight back to Oxford this morning. Just. will post the experience on a different thread, suffice to say v. positive.

Airport 'somebodies' seem to be on strike in Geneva at the moment, and it was chaos - took over an hour & 20 mins to Q and get through security, and had to run to be last on the transfer bus. Still, didn't spend anything in duty free so that was a bonus... I would suggest you leave some extra time if it is still going on next week.

Friends left this morning, took 2 hours to Moutiers, fortunately started out a little early, but now they are still at Geneva airport waiting for a delayed flight.

Hopefully snow down to Peisy has improved things, because I wrecked my skis there on Friday morning Mytilles? Avoid! A quick plug for Sylvain in Equilibres at 2000 - edge and wax service overnight, €16 - and good quality,. Shame I've gone and ruined it...
No point going on about the powder on Thursday pm , snowcrazy has covered it, suffice to say we actually used powder traces.

Looks as if anyone able to get there will have a great time this week.

Now, we still haven't booked the "boys week" on 16th Jan - where to go, where to go?
latest report
All quiet but very cold now up in 2000. It was -9 at Arcabuelle at 2pm. Cloud has lifted annd lovely evening but not willing to venture out.

Kids got lessons in the morning so we plan to get some board practice in.

Russians arriving in 1950 en force today. Do Russian wives attend 'how to look like a cheap hooker' courses? Maybe they are cheap hookers?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy