Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Why Hate Ryanair? Panorama BBC1 right now

Poster: A snowHead
Quote:
so it is ok to charge some one more for forgetting an A4 piece of paper than the original cost of the flight

By forcing people to check in online Ryan Air can make their flights cheaper - as they need less ground staff and check in desks at the airport. By forgetting the A4 piece of paper you make everyone else's flight more expensive - since a member of staff then has to check you onto the flight manually. So why shouldnt you pay for that ?

Yup - Its an expensive pain in the @rse if you forget to check yourself in. But Ryan Air do warn you of this (in big writting) when you book the flight online - and also send a reminder email before the flight.

As others said - its their business model. Some people like it, other dont. Make your choices - but the rules are clear if you decide to fly for 99p.

In my own humble opinion the taxes on aviation fuel & flights need to be way higher - but thats another debate!

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 13-10-09 13:12; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Wayne, what does it show - I cannot view it here in Germany Sad

A piece I read in one of the online papers today seems on the surface as if MO'L is making good mileage from the free publicity as usual. He's announced he'll give away 1000s of free seats for every single untruth told in the programme. Nice gesture, but didn't they also say yesterday that the programme was a hatchet job and therefore by implication, there are no untruths? Puzzled So no freebies after all?

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 13-10-09 13:28; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
^ yup - I think Ryan Air realise there is no such thing as bad publicity.

Look at the free advertising they are getting here Very Happy
We are all talking about them.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Haggis_Trap - but I have checked in , paid the fee, but forgot to bring the boarding card, so I am not checking in as such, iand I have to get my bag weighed and tagged any way ?.

Why not simply use the automated check-in machines at the airport rather than making people check in online ?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ooops

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Tue 13-10-09 14:05; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Haggis_Trap wrote:
Look at the free advertising they are getting here Very Happy
We are all talking about them.

It's not advertising if it's negative (which it normally is when talking about RA).

Some people still spout that there is no such thing a bad publicity. They are wrong. Many companies had been brought down bad publicity (just ask Garald Ratner).

Ryan Air will go bust in a big way sooner or later. This will happen when people have had enough of O'L. He is doing OK (as he is in a poor market) at the moment but this won't last. He has not only alienated a large proportion of his possible clients by just being the git he his but he has also done the same to many of his staff.

You MUST have one or the other. Either clients or staff who love the product. He has neither so he will disappear.

Easyjet will swoop in and grab his ex-clients and then turn into the next BA (middle of the road).

It’s no good the Irish saying “oh he’s OK, it’s an Irish thing, he’s up for the criac”. That would be fine if he was selling to that particular market, but he isn’t. Being a git is the same in any country and so is not caring about your client base. RA will be gone soon.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:
Haggis_Trap - but I have checked in , paid the fee, but forgot to bring the boarding card, so I am not checking in as such, iand I have to get my bag weighed and tagged any way ?.
Why not simply use the automated check-in machines at the airport rather than making people check in online ?

Like I said before - the ryan air business model is simply that 'you pay for what you use'.
If you forget your boarding pass then someone at the airport has to be paid to print a new one for you.
Self service check in machines at the airport might be a good idea - but the space those machines occupy needs to be rented from the airport.

Checking in bags is totally different - as you will be paying for that specific privellage and the time it takes a member of staff to perform that task & load the bags etc.

If people didnt really dont like Ryan Air then how come they are one of the only airlines in Europe currently operating at a profit ?

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Tue 13-10-09 14:06; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
malcolm1 wrote:
If you dont like Ryanair or their MD or their rules/fees on ski carriage, just go somewhere else and dont buy a ticket.

Yes thats exactly what I do. I would never fly with Ryanair again, EVER!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Wayne - The airline industry has always been boom & bust.
Just look at Ali Italia, Zoom, Swiss Air, Pan Am, TWA, British Midland, Ansett.
All of them long gone. British Airways might be about to join that list in 6 months time...

For sure Ryan Air are ruthless. But you simply have to be in the aviation industry.
People swear they will never use Ryan Air again - until the flight they want comes up at 99p each way.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Haggis_Trap wrote:
British Airways might be about to join that list in 6 months time...

I hope that's after they fly me to/from Denver club class on my BA miles in March! Confused
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Wayne wrote:
RA will be gone soon.

Much I am not a fan of them, I doubt it... MO'L is not my favourite public persona but his track record in business shows he can adapt..

Haggis_Trap,
As rayscoops say, the £40 penalty (term used by Ryanir themselves) is purely for printing your boarding pass, not to check you in. To be able to print your own pass you must first check-in.... And £40 to print something seems outrageously expensive. But by now, this is well advertised so people that will find themselves in that situation can't really complain. They knowingly took the risk...
Same things with bagage/equipment carriage.
Hence why I tend not to use them if possible..
In Ryanair's defence, some of the things that were picked on, e.g. food price, were unfairly covered because theyu were things that are already commonly in other airlines and other industries (food in mountain restaurants, trains..).
The travel insurance I thought was very sneaky. Ryanair claimed it wasn't since only 4% of their travellers were taking it. but when you carry nearly 70M people, that is still nearly 3 millions people taking it on and a few of them unwittingly so at £7 a head that's quite a potential revenue on the back of the less careful. But they changed that now so it is hard to get "done".

I dislike Ryanair because they build their success on principles I disapprove. i.e. on the back of their employees and suppliers mainly. Customersd have a choice. The latter often don't, especially in these hard times. Ryanair for me is the perfect image of what can be so ugly about the search for maximum shareholder profits... Yes many of us love the low prices, but I am not sure we're doing ourselves any favor in the long term..
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
laundryman wrote:
alex_heney wrote:
Huh?

The most useful timetables would show journey times where the flights were as often early as late. Assuming a short taxi, no air traffic delay and a tailwind, for example, would always underestimate. What's difficult to understand?

Nothing, but I don't understand why you think that is dishonest (since it is what the other airlines appear to do).
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
alex_heney, because it creates a false expectation. It's irrelevant how many do it.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Kruisler wrote:

Ryanair for me is the perfect image of what can be so ugly about the search for maximum shareholder profits... Yes many of us love the low prices, but I am not sure we're doing ourselves any favor in the long term..

Can we talk about supermarkets and fair-trade bananas or the UK dairy industry, no ?, thought not Very Happy
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
BergenBergen, not here. That's for the Après Zone! wink
snow report
BergenBergen wrote:
Can we talk about supermarkets and fair-trade bananas or the UK dairy industry, no ?, thought not Very Happy

It's not much fun if you do the questions and the answers! wink
ski holidays
Kruisler, I can re-phrase if I get enough support
ski holidays
BergenBergen wrote:

Probelm is that most "fair trade" stuuf ain't really that fair and to be honest doesn't taste as good as the non "fair" stuff - eg. coffee is horid, etc
wink
snow report
 Dave Spart
Dave Spart
rayscoops wrote:

I do not like they way they set things up and do not use them for that very reason; I do not expect to have to un-earth every bit of small print to ensure I am not f@cked over at the checkin desk for forgetting the boarding card Very Happy

True. I do not like Stansted either.

I would use Ryanair when it suits. A weekend to Knock from Luton for example.

Even then they could not handle our printed boarding cards and reprinted them. We were not charged though.

It is having to be constantly on your guard for sharp practice that is irksome. Emails doing the rounds recommending you get an Electron card just to avoid card charges ( for the time being) etc. I do not need airline food or drink for short haul so that is not an issue. Unchecking insurance is tiresome though.

In the end, you weigh cost savings (if any) against the whole passenger experience. Sometimes it is worth paying extra.
ski holidays
laundryman wrote:
alex_heney, because it creates a false expectation. It's irrelevant how many do it.

So what you would rather they do (and that is also what they actually do) is somehow creating a false expectation?

I really don't understand what you are trying to say at all.

Unless you are suggesting that for some reason other airlines give times which it is unrealistic for them to meet? I can't understand why you might suggest that, since most other airlines actually have better punctuality figures than Ryanair. They do use "normal" journey times, not the best they can possibly achieve.

Ryanair advertise themselves as "having more filghts on time than anybody else", but the main reason for that is that they have more flights than almost anybody else. And it must be false anyhow, since BA have a etter % record and are one of the only two airlines with more flights.
ski holidays
Don't like them. They do cheap and tacky - particularly the in flight sales pitch for everything over the tannoy. Easyjet aren't noticeably more expensive and don't make the flying experience as unpleasant as Ryanair do. I have no intention of ever booking a Ryanair flight again in my life, but will quite happily book with other "no frills" airlines. I have never found Ryanair particularly cheap when you add on all the extra costs. Admittedly if booking something over £100 over the internet, I would prefer to use a credit card, and consider the fee as payment for my protection if the company should go bust...
ski holidays
LOL, I thought this thread might be a runner when I posted last night!

Personally I don't use Ryanair and have no intention of touching them because I'm happy to pay for another airline (including Easyjet), even if it is a few quid more expensive, and I prefer knowing exactly what I get which I don't feel is necessarily the case with Ryanair (I'm not a fan of smallprint!). I guess I also don't like Mr O'leary's silly games although he's always quite amusing when I see him on telly, not sure I'd be so amused if I worked for him though.

What did seem particularly dodgy was the episode when they left customers waiting at check-in and missing their flights, something I'm sure they didn't expect and I'm sure wasn't in the small print when they booked - that's something that would ruin anyone's holiday. The website shenanigans seemed pretty dodgy too, particularly given I know a little bit about website usability.

Having said that though I thought the Panorama last night was pretty poor and ended it feeling like saying "yeah and you point being?". As others have said you pays yer money and you get what you pay for but in the case of Ryanair I have no intention of paying 'em any money! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
alex_heney, you've got hold of the wrong end of the stick.
snow report
rayscoops wrote:
so it is ok to charge some one more for forgetting an A4 piece of paper than the original cost of the flight Puzzled

Yes actually it is. It is because when you booked the flight you entered into a contract with them & one of the conditions was exactly that. The honess (sp?) is on you to bring said piece of paper.

In the old days you'd never try & get on a flight without your big fat 20 layers ticket. So why should there be an exception now just because it happens to convenience you not to?
snow conditions
horizon wrote:
I won't miss the trumpet sound when landing at 7ish am, "Another Ryanair flight arrived on time!". Yes, and I could have snoozed for another 10 minutes. To say nothing about the strident voice offering me lottery tickets half way through the flight. Generally, I like to have a more pleasant or at least unobtrusive experience with service providers.

Your eyes are also assaulted by advertising on every square inch of the aircraft cabin and phone card offers are repeated endlessly.
snow report
frank4short, just because it is in the T&Cs does not make it ok imho, legal maybe but not ok, which is why I think I have only travelled with them once. I simply do not like dealing with stealth and subterfuge when some one is selling me a simple flight ticket. I am amazed that the indusrty allows it all.

I follow Dave Spart, in that I would use them for a 'weekend hand luggage only' hop to some where and that is all.

edit - plus a £40 flight I tried to book just added up to £145 excluding my board by the time I had run the booking gauntlet Shocked
ski holidays
How can something be "one of the only airlines"? It's either the only airline or it's not. A bit like "up to 50% off selected items".
snow conditions
laundryman wrote:
alex_heney, you've got hold of the wrong end of the stick.

That has been obvious for a couple of posts by each of us Sad

So what exactly were you trying to say?

It appeared to me that you were suggesting that most airlines were being dishonest because they weren't over-inflating travel times. Obviously, you must have meant something else, but I can't work out what.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I think the BBC shot themselves in the foot. Ryanair 1 - BBC 0 for me. I am no fan of O'Leary, but as has been said you know what you're getting and it's cheap. I don't find much to watch on BBC these days, but judging by the papers we are paying for inflated salaries through the license fee, and I'd like them to be as aggressive in cost cutting as Ryanair.
snow conditions
Well I for one will only use Ryanair if there are absolutely no alternatives. I hate virtually everything about them, all of which have been detailed above, particularly charges for checking in online, which is totally unavoidable, and should be forced by law into being included in the headline fair. Easyjet seem profitable and are a completely different kettle of fish. I accept fully that the no frills mob gave the flag carriers the boot up the backside they needed, but MOL seems to go out of his way to make the whole experience as hideous as possible. Best thing to do is vote with your feet. Missus and I went to Dublin earlier in the year, we paid about £20 more to go on Aer Lingus, thoroughly enjoyed sitting on the plane knowing I had denied Ryanair my dosh.
ski holidays
Fifespud wrote:
Well I for one will only use Ryanair if there are absolutely no alternatives. I hate virtually everything about them, all of which have been detailed above, particularly charges for checking in online, which is totally unavoidable, and should be forced by law into being included in the headline fair.

If it is totally unavoidable, then it must be included in the headline fare.

you will probably find some tiny clause under which it doesn't have to be paid, but which hardly anybody will be able to meet.

[EDIT] Having just checked by starting a booking process, it is shown as part of the total price on the first page of the booking (along with the taxes & fees). So it is technically part of the "headline" fare, as it is the first potentially "total" price you see, and is shown on the same screen as the first price of any sort you see.

I must admit, I don't understand why they think it will make a difference to their bookings if they just increase all the fares by £5 and don't show it as a separate item.

But then they are the successful business, while I am just a working guy, so they probably have more idea about that.
[/EDIT]
snow conditions
For those with BA tickets booked this winter we will all be hating BA if they go on strike, at least Ryanair don't seem to have that problem.
snow conditions
Fifespud wrote:
Missus and I went to Dublin earlier in the year, we paid about £20 more to go on Aer Lingus, thoroughly enjoyed sitting on the plane knowing I had denied Ryanair my dosh.

What a strangely nose-cutting off approach. I would be surprised if you could cite one substantive way in which the experience of sitting in an Aer Lingus plane was different from sitting in a Ryanair one - or indeed an Easyjet, BmiBaby, FlyBe or Flyglobespan one.
latest report
Here's an alternative... http://www.metacafe.com/watch/285168/yorkshire_airlines/
latest report
ccl wrote:
What a strangely nose-cutting off approach. I would be surprised if you could cite one substantive way in which the experience of sitting in an Aer Lingus plane was different from sitting in a Ryanair one - or indeed an Easyjet, BmiBaby, FlyBe or Flyglobespan one.

You didn't "have" to check in on line and get fined if you don't

ccl wrote:
one.

1 Mr O'L has to get his dosh from someone else
oh yeah plus.....
1 (a) Make you feel good
1 (b) You don't get hasselled to buy stuff all the time
1 (c) You don't have the stigma of telling your (ex) mates you flew on RA
1 (d) etc
1 (e) etc
latest report
The programme was a waste of time. What was it trying to achieve? The days of air travel being glam and people waiting on you hand and foot in the air are long gone for short haul flights.

The way I see it is that is you book a flight with any airline then you have to take responsibility for ensuring you comply with their regulations. To turn up at the airport without having printed your boarding pass is just stupid. You deserve to be charged £40. If you comply with the rules of Ryanair then they are a great airline and it opens up loads of places to visit.

For a 2 hour flight I love that I can buy it for £10 (no c/card charges as have an entropay account), pack 10kgs of hand baggage, turn up and go straight through security, get on plane and when I arrive I can get out of the airport within a few mins of landing. I can do a week’s holiday with 10kgs.

You don’t get hassled all the time. They come round once on short flights and twice on longer ones with the food/drinks, make announcements about the scratch cards and one for the tax free shopping.

For quick European flights I will always check RA first. If you are switched on enough then there is nothing to fear from flying RA.
latest report
Fifespud wrote:
......articularly charges for checking in online, which is totally unavoidable.....

Not so, according to Ryanair.

Quote:
Panorama claimed that Ryanair charges £5 to all passengers for web check-in but omitted that more than half of Ryanair’s passengers avoid this fee by booking Ryanair’s promotional fares (which include free web check-in).

Quote:
Panorama claimed that “O’Leary is a bully” – this is clearly false when the whole world knows that O’Leary is a kind and gentle, caring and thoughtful, sensitive and saintly human being widely beloved by all Ryanair’s 6,500 people and its 66m passengers.

Madeye-Smiley

Quote:
Ryanair’s Michael O’Leary said,

“Last night’s programme was more Bananarama than Panorama. The BBC had no case, no facts and no clue....."

He has a point.
snow report
Quote:
For sure Ryan Air are ruthless. But you simply have to be in the aviation industry.
People swear they will never use Ryan Air again - until the flight they want comes up at 99p each way.

Not when Ryanair simply dont fly at all and sh*t on you from a great height in the process. I've been screwed over once, if it was just that I might give them a second chance, but friends and relatives have also been left sitting in Inverness airport for fligths Ryanair had no intention of operating, and no intention of providing alternative transport and no intention of providing refunds either. EU regulations that state 'exceptional circumstances' should not be a get out of jail free card for their likes, being too incompetent to run an airline does not qualify as exceptional circumstances under EU law.

Whats worse is this F'ing thread is just the sort of free publicity that feeds Ryanair. There can be few if any other industries that can get away with such onesided contracts without the law of the land coming down on them like a ton of bricks.
ski holidays
Winterhighland wrote:
EU regulations that state 'exceptional circumstances' should not be a get out of jail free card for their likes, being too incompetent to run an airline does not qualify as exceptional circumstances under EU law.

We know you don't like them (presumably due to your personal experience).

But it is pointless and silly to try and describe the most successful airline in Europe as "being too incompetent to run an airline".

One thing Ryanair cannot reasonably be accused of is incompetence.
latest report
To answer last nights BBC lies RyanAr are giving aways load of freeeee flights Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Yeeeeaaaaa FREE flights - I love RyanAir. Mr O'L is wonderfull yipeeee

Where shall I go.

I know (never been there - but sod it, IT's FREEEEEEEE)
Gdansk Puzzled (why not, freeeeeee) - anyone know where it is ???

OK choose my dates to ensure I get the freeeeeee flights. NO TAXES, NO HIDDEN CHARGES

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Mad Sad Evil or Very Mad Shock

Need I say more -
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy