Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avoriaz / Morzine / Les Gets / Chatel - 2009/10

Poster: A snowHead
Well, it's pissing down with rain here in Morzine at the mo. Bodes well for higher up. I havn't ventured up the mountain yet but my guess it is an average start to Dec. A small number of runs and lifts are due to open this weekend as per normal in early Dec. The forecast is for snow this weekend but then v.warm temperatures next week Shocked

I'm told they have pisted a few runs in Avoriaz so hopefully these will survive the warm weather. If they open Les Gets, frankly, I don't think it will be worth skiing on. There is little snow low down and warm temps have mean't no snow making.

Fingers crossed for cooler wx soon.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
zzz - so I can't coax you out for a gentle skin on Friday? Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Wet in town this morning. Snow level about 1100/1200m.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
zzz wrote:
If they open Les Gets, frankly, I don't think it will be worth skiing on. There is little snow low down and warm temps have mean't no snow making.

I heard that Les Gets is pretty snowy this morning, in terms of opening it up for skiing I am guessing that's why it's free in Les Gets? Do they tend to do early "tests" of lifts and things before the season proper?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
zzz wrote:
If they open Les Gets, frankly, I don't think it will be worth skiing on.
Laughing Laughing Spoken like a true resident (or saisonnaire). Why inconvenience yourself for poor quality snow? rolling eyes The weekend looks set to be cold so what there is should get no worse. Best of luck. NehNeh
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
It is snowing in Morzine this morning and really snowy in les gets. Have to say pleny was looking pretty poor but if they are giving the passes away, we can't complain!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Having now seen the stuff in daylight, I'm with zzz. I'm here for a BASP first aid course on Saturday / Sunday, so can't ski then - and it just doesn't look enticing enough for me to consider sticking the skins on the skis...
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
i think avoriaz must better, is anyone up there?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Great ski this morning in Avoriaz!! Snow was fab as were the pistes. Off to do staff training now.....aaarrgghhh!!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
What do you mean...
snowandtrek wrote:
.....aaarrgghhh!!

They seemed like very nice staff to me Toofy Grin
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Champery - Les Croset opened today... Just Croset Deux, Planachaux Cable car and Grand Conche Drag. Planachaux piste is being saved for next week!! Bit of a hike back up to the telecabin at the end of the ski. Its not as bad as I was expecting up there really. A tad scrubby in places with long grass peeping through. Got the teles on and busted a few rather shaky turns which need to improve before the ski school training starts next week!! More snow is expected here tonight and tomorrow which will certainly help things. These lifts will remain open next week unless there is a sudden change in weather.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
FlyingStantoni, Staff are great it's just having to talk for 4 hours!!!!

Went up again this morning - very windy up top but snow is still very good.

That's it now until next Saturday - lets do some snow dances!!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The family went out Sat and Sunday at La Grande Terche, fairly thin cover, very few people out and about. Currently raining (possibly at all levels), the forecast after this rain is for "stable conditions" for the next week at least.

IMG_1244

For those that are interested, here is a list of dates for the ski mountaineering races up and down the Morzine Valley on my site http://www.endoftheride.com/2009/12/ski-mountaineerng-races-around-morzine/ considering the number of Brits that live here the British representation in these races is pretty poor! The Cass'Tete had the best Brit turn out of 5 (out of 60).

Here is an overview

For the year 2010

1. LA MEURIANNE : Sat 9 JAN 2010, 8am start
Teams of 2, a proper mountain race.
http://www.ski-alpinisme.com/calendrierFiche.php?id=1157

http://www.valleedaulps.com/meurianne_2009_course_ski_montagne_montriond_avoriaz_challenge_vallee_aulps_morzine_les_gets-page_information-2300-HIVER-FR-DIVERTIR.html

2. LA PICARON Fri 29 JAN 2010
Held in Morzine, a night relay (2 racers in each team) around "Le Stade"

3. LA CASS'TETE Assumed Fri 19 MARCH 2010
Last years time 53min

4. LA MONTEE DU CROT : Fri 26 MARCH 2010
Just an "up" race, Prodains to Avoriaz

http://www.ski-alpinisme.com/calendrierFiche.php?id=1079

5. LA MONTEE DES PERRIERES Fri 2 April 2010
Les Gets, didn't do this one last year.

7. LE TROPHEE DES HAUTS-FORTS : Sun, 25 AVRIL 2010

All last years results for the CHALLENGE VALLEE D'AULPS

http://www.cafmorzine.com/la_meurianne%202009.htm

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Fri 11-12-09 20:43; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
endlessride - you are, of course, completely bonkers wink

Anyway...

Tell me about La Montee Des Perrieres... Toofy Grin
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
snowandtrek wrote:
Staff are great it's just having to talk for 4 hours!!!!

You don´t normally have a problem with it. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
FlyingStantoni wrote:
endlessride - you are, of course, completely bonkers wink

Anyway...

Tell me about La Montee Des Perrieres... Toofy Grin

It starts from the carpark at the bottom end of Les Gets, up the pistes to the top (600m?) and back again. This winners did it in about 20 minutes last year and the last finishers about 45min.
ski holidays
endlessride, lovely picture!! snowHead
snow conditions
Mrs zzz tells me it has been raining hard for 24 hours and snow on pleney, and by association Les Gets, all gone Crying or Very sad
latest report
I keep repeating to myself that I mustn't get sucked in to worrying about snow conditions. Of to Avoriaz on 16 Jan, so lots of time for the weather to chill back down and start dumping white stuff. Anyway, surely with its snow record Avoriaz will be ok, won't it...

Damn it, why does skiing have to depend so much on the weather!
snow report
zzz wrote:
Mrs zzz tells me it has been raining hard for 24 hours and snow on pleney, and by association Les Gets, all gone Crying or Very sad

It was really foul when I was driving to the airport this morning - lashing down with rain.

On the bright side it was around 2 degrees when I was going through Les Gets - so there will have hopefully been snow higher up.
ski holidays
Dusting of snow in toen this morning anfd it is snowing.

Mrs zzz was correct - Pleney was green again by yesterday lunchtime. I spent much of the day out in it and was doing a good impression of a drowned rat by afternoon!

Temperatures are on their way down and forecast is for snow showers to day in town.
snow conditions
Looks like it'll be brass monkeys by the weekend http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Les-Gets/6day/mid - not much in the way of additional snow though.
ski holidays
this is bad news i was looking to come out to morzine on sunda for 4 days but if there no snow around its not going to happen.

Struggling to find a resort with tons of snow close around 1-1.5 Hours transfer from geneva, really want to max my piste time.

Oh wel might need to pop to cyprus with the wrinklies for few days.
ski holidays
Forecast looks pretty cold - will they fire up the guns full tilt for the next week or would they hold off incase another warm spell undoes the good work.

The Pleney is just a big meadow so it doesnt need that much snow to make it rideable.

I am heading out just after new year so hoping for a another couple of decent snowfalls in December. If its getting much colder the presuemably the next low pressure system should dump bit.
ski holidays
The wife and I arrive in Avoriaz this Saturday, I had to book early due to work commitments.
Not sure what to expect - the Avoriaz webcam looks OK-ish but I've no idea if there's enough snow to warrant opening at least some of the lifts.
snow report
chaney, Avoriaz opens this Saturday, is showing 70cm on the upper slopes and 30cm on the lower slopes should be a selection of pistes and lifts open!
snow report
Does any one know if the snow cannons are due to start next week? temperature and humidity looking good.Les get side mainly. Thanks.
snow conditions
lightningdan, as long as the temps stay down I am sure they will use the cannons as the resort is due to open on 19th.

Keep an eye on

http://www.sagets.fr/v2/index.pl?saison=hiv&ln=en Very Happy

Welcome to snowHeads btw
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
They'll use the cannons where there is already a base. Waste of time using it on grass tho. Drizzling today and six degrees, yuck. I'm gonna skin up arare tomorrow so will report back. I think the open pistes will be ok but obviously little or no piste-hors.
ski holidays
it was great up top last weekend, so it can't be that bad this weekend. Even with only a few runs open I was very happy to be up there. It might be busier though for the ski testing this weekend, more people on the slopes will take its toll on the poorer areas.
snow report
marskey, Grands Montets has a few runs open and the snow's apparently good...
snow report
For those heading near to Avoriaz - you can find the details of the open lifts and pistes here.

Currently showing 15 open lifts and 16 open pistes (1 green, 15 blue, 0 red, 0 black).
snow report
What's the official verdict on opening in Avoriaz? I'm heading out for 3 days next week - Friday to Sunday, on the assumption that the resort opened for business this weekend with the full region on the 19th. On the pass sales page there's something about only being open 12th and 13th then not again until the 19th.

Does that mean the Friday on the beers rather than the slopes??
ski holidays
El_Quince, it's Friday today and open! Toofy Grin
snow report
Happy days Smile

I'll pop up a note on the snow next week if I can find a wi-fi access point in resort.
latest report
Yeah, me too. Taking the laptop and the appartment has Wifi.
Cheers, ski-finder.
ski holidays
Yep,

It opens up officially tomorrow. I've just been for a little ski and the snow cover is not bad for the time of year but its like boiler plate. The rain has frozen and all pistes are really rock 'ard.
Head for the sun boys and girls.
snow report
zzz, new skis?
snow conditions
ski-finder, cheers for the link
snow report
under a new name, No, Rando'ing
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy