Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avoriaz / Morzine / Les Gets / Chatel - 2009/10

Poster: A snowHead
OK, I'll start this year's thread off Smile

Snowandtrek started it last year on 4th Oct with the following statement:-

snowandtrek wrote:
Thought it was time to start a thread for this winter as we woke up this morning to SNOW!!! It's the earliest we've seen it in Morzine village - and we've been here 6 years in November!

The locals are muttering about the winter being a cold one but are yet to speculate on the amount of snow!

Happy skiing in 2008/9

Wonder what this year will be like ? This was on Chalets Direct's blog:-

"It also appears that local farmers in the Haute Savoie in France are predicting bumper snowfalls for this winter based on the abundance and size of the autumn berries on the trees and hedgerows. Sadly we are unable to vouch for the accuracy of these forecasts, but won't it be great if old Jean-Paul is right!"

Here's hoping !
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Fingers crossed kendadj!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Definitely kendadj, we're likely to be heading back to Les Gets for the third year running this time out, so I'll be watching this thread with interest! Just to set us all off, here's the GFS run from today:

OMG THE 19TH OF OCTOBER LOOKS AMAZING WE ARE GOING TO GET A MONSTER DUMP ETC

Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Looking to go at Xmas again - last year was cracking !
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
kendadj, well done for getting cracking Very Happy

11 weeks and three days snowHead too ,
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Lou, you can go off people, you know... Evil or Very Mad wink
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
andyph, NehNeh NehNeh

Haven't you booked a weekend or two yet?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Lou, unfortunately mine have to be rather more ad hoc. Booking as such gets done a week or two (max) beforehand. Plus, I need engineering companies across the Benelux and Asia to start making more money so they can spend some of it with me and I can pay off last year's trip. Shocked
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
andyph, hope they get their act together Very Happy
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
FastEddie, Forecast today is for 26 degrees in Thonon - we still have shorts and flipflops on here!!! Although www.meteo-chamonix.org is mentioning snow around 1700m for Saturday.

kendadj, Not much being said here.....We have however had an above average summer - hot and sunny with little rain...which can bode for a cold wet winter?????
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowandtrek, good to hear that I've been more than optimistic breaking out the GFS runs this early Smile Keep us informed as thing gradually change - and by that I'm referring to conditions, not your shorts and flip-flops Wink
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Snow tonight and tomorrow in Chatel!

http://www.allmountainholidays.com/weather.php?id=333024

Cheers and here's to a great season folks!

Very Happy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Snowmonkey, whay hey Very Happy I'm happy with that. Will sleep better though knowing that snowandtrek has put shorts and flip flops away for this year? Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Dusting this morning on the top of the Arare....so about 2100m. Very cold and Lou, shorts have officially gone into storage until the spring!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Dusting this morning on the top of the Arare....so about 2100m. Very cold and Lou, shorts have officially gone into stirage until the spring!
snow report
snowandtrek, phew Madeye-Smiley
latest report
Does anybody know if the new express lift has gone in at Linga? Also if the links from Morgins/Champoussin/Les Croset have been sorted out over the summer? Smile
snow report
R555MAC wrote:
Does anybody know if the new express lift has gone in at Linga? Also if the links from Morgins/Champoussin/Les Croset have been sorted out over the summer? Smile

Was in Chatel this august and express lift at Linga was under construction, however no sign of any work by the Swiss to reinstate the link by chair between Champoussin and Les Crosets via Pointe de l'Au.
snow conditions
Welcome to snowHeads PDSB11 - nice to have another PDS "local" on the thread.

R555MAC - can confirm that they were definitely hard at it when we were there in August. Must be finished by now.
ski holidays
Thats good news on Linga, unless its a powder day I cant justify going back down for the chair and often the piste just looks so good!

Looks like its all coming together for the future link with Super Chatel.

Shame about the links on the swiss side though, that was a bit of a pain, even with good snowfall last season. They could really be struggling to keep it going this year :/ I distinctly remember having to ollie roads at one point coming into Les Crosets Shocked (was kinda fun, but it didnt look like everyone was enjoying it Toofy Grin )

Also I heard Americans have bought La Chapelle and could be putting in links within the next 10 years...Anyone know anything about this?
snow report
Gonna beat snowandtrek, to the news today. We have snow flurries in the village with a snowline visible just above us on Super Morzine. Thats the lowest so far this year.
I am sure snowandtrek, will be taking the kids up to play in it in Avoriaz and post something on the blog for you all to swoon over Razz
snow conditions
R555MAC, I think it is Abondance that has been bought by the Americans. See attached (in French I'm afraid) http://www.neigeski.com/news/a/8348/abondance-annonce-sa-grande-rouverture There is some talk of a link Abondance to Drouzin Le Mont (Col du Corbier) but I think it is all pie in the sky. Certainly there is planning going on for the Super Chatel - Linga link and I can confirm they were hard at it on the new Linga chair at the end of August which should be a great improvement
latest report
DJL - you can stick stuff like this through the Google translation tools. Go to Google and select "Language Tools". The result:

http://translate.google.co.uk/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.neigeski.com%2Fnews%2Fa%2F8348%2Fabondance-annonce-sa-grande-rouverture&sl=fr&tl=en&hl=en&ie=UTF-8
snow report
Snow in Chatel
http://www.webcam-ski.com/interfaces/chatel/interface.php?pk_interface=31&m=images&r=vue&pk_img_vue=2445
latest report
And Les Gets Very Happy http://www.trinum.com/ibox/lesgets/Images/chery/webcam1big.jpg

DallyPaul, Keep the good news coming Very Happy

ie don't post when it has gone by lunchtime Toofy Grin
latest report
DJL, FlyingStantoni,

Abondance, havent skied there in about 6 years. I was skiing La Chapelle just last season when the whole PDS was far too busy around xmas/new year. The conditions were very good but its limited in there, better for learners really except for 1 or 2 steeper runs. So I guess the conditions in Abondance could still be good, maybe just a shorter season though, still just one bad season could leave them without snow...

That confirms it though, but Im equally doubtful about a link to Col du Corbier!
snow report
DallyPaul, took the puppy for his 1st wlk in the snow check out a couple of pictures on the blog.
ski holidays
Afternoon all. It's lovely and snowy in Chatel which is always nice to see.

It will be great to see Abondance opening again this winter. It's a nice little domain and a great way to escape the crowds on busy weeks.

Linga II is pretty much finished, and will really open out that side of the hill. I just hope all the undiscovered off piste over there doesn't become too discovered as a consquence Toofy Grin

As for the Swiss side, as I understand it, they are re-opening the chairlift from Champoussin to Point l'Au, and there will be a rope tow to get people up from the Mossette side (not the one that was in place last year). I'll see if I can find out more details about this.

So things are only getting better in the PDS. Here's hoping we get another good winter.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Taken from Chatel' website...

Remplacement of Linga 2 Chairlift
The departure will be located at 1550m high, next to the Leiche ski lift, and it's name will be Echo Alpin.
With a length of 1580m and a difference in level of 525m it will carry 2400 people per hour in a first period (increasing to 2700 people per hour).
It will be one of the fastest lifts of the Portes du Soleil area as it will carry skiers at a speed of 5.5m per second taking them to the top in 5min.

New snow-guns
The resort is increasing it's cultivated snow capacity with the creation of a new reservoir water and the fitting of the Combes and Linga 2 (going with the replacement of the Linga 2 chairlift).

Very Happy Sounds, good and there are some fast chairs in the area, so this one will be quick! beats 12-15 minutes on the old shorter one!! La Leiche and the other more hidden stuff around that way will get skied out fast though, and Im guessing that Linga will get busy fast as its now even easier to start from Linga without that bottleneck.

Good news about snowmaking below Combes aswell, just that one pitch next to the restaurant that always suffered. The rest has always been nice really, hope they dont make it too sugary this season.
ski holidays

Picture from today, taken at Linderets. Not much to go at yet I'm afraid and it's due to warm up this week.
ski holidays
Looks as though the season isnt kicking off quite yet then...I feel really imaptient this year after the amazing start last time around!

Another lift development querie...
Has anybody heard about a new lift to aid the Morzine Avoriaz link in some way? I assume the idea would be to replace the very slow leg into Avoriaz. Cant find anything on this but know its a possibilty in the near future.
ski holidays
R555MAC, it's being talked about - just to confuse you there are two "new" lifts (IIRC) - a replacement for the Prodains cable car and the possibility of a funicular from Morzine direct. The first is definitely happening at some point, the second is definitely being discussed over a few beers. Locals would know more.
latest report
Details here (PDF) on page 8.
ski holidays
That looks like a good proposal. It would be hugely beneficial for the residents of Morzine and Prodains. Guess the slopes of Avoriaz could be considerably busier though at certain times. As mentioned they are really looking ahead to the potential for the games. An improved lift system for a more efficient return on the Coupe Du Monde would come in handy. Anyone know how many events the CdM could be used for? I assumed it would be for the womens DH, any other events?
ski holidays
Hey all, am off to Morzine 31st January anyone else around at that time? We were in Avoriaz in 07/08 and had bumper snow so hoping to cover the Les Gets side of the valley this time around.

Anyone got a link to the GFS runs I like having it as my wallpaper Wink
snow conditions
R555MAC, just womens DH AFAIK - maybe SG??
snow report
On which, why is the Morzine website so feckin' slow? I get better response out of our own at a princely £4.95 a month. I know there;'s a great deal of flashturbation going on, but still...
ski holidays
Snow is settling on my garden! And the forecast is for heavy precip and cooler temperatures all week. I can now celebrate the arrival of the snow as I have finished my outside jobs!
snow report
Looking forward to checking out the webcams tomorrow morning. Very murky when I looked half an hour ago. Still, I won't be going skiing for at least 2 months so not to worry, eh? rolling eyes Very Happy
latest report
Snowmonkey, that is good to hear, thought the snowline would be well above the village.

andyph, No no worries at all. I'll be arriving in Chatel in 9 days now...dont expect to be skiing it is always nice arriving to snow though. Been watching the cam's a lot recently aswell!

The snow forecasts certainly make good reading for this time of the year. I keep just expecting an incredible start again after last years early season, I was skiing entire new lines that materialised with the bumper snowfall.

cant wait, just three more shifts at work! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy