Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avoriaz / Morzine / Les Gets / Chatel - 2009/10

Poster: A snowHead
it is snowing now!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Snoozie, When you say snowing, is it snowing in Geneva ?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Here is a new web cam to waste your time on. Lots of fun to be had with running "films" of the history.

http://portesdusoleil.livecam360.com/flash/main.php

btw it's the top of the Mossettes (2277m)

BergenBergen, it's not snowing in St Jean d'Aulps, seems to be snowing above about 1600m

This cam is at 1500m

http://www.webcam-ski.com/webcams/interfaces/gdterche/interface.php?pk_interface=14&m=images&r=panoramique
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
endlessride,
The Mossettes cam will be really good when the cloud lifts. Now if we could just get someone to wipe the lens clear on the St Jean cam... Smile
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
BergenBergen

No it is still raining and warm here, if it were snowing I would be busy cartwheeling round the lake. But the Avoriaz webcam was showing heavenly views of the white stuff this morning.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
http://livecam.avoriaz.com/index.php?webcam=1&langue=2

Here it is
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Snoozie, Sad Snow in Geneva is enough to get everyone here excited
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
There is snow on the top of Pleney and Nyon is all white! It is raining in resort but the signs for the road up to Avoriaz are flashing that you need chains.....

All good signs!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
hi guys just been on snow forecast, here is the link--http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Avoriaz/9day/top, this is for the top of the mountain, but look at the bottom, heavy snow forecast on 30th aswell. this is the dump we have all been waiting for guys, BRING IT ON!!!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ricklovesthepowder, do a forum search for snow forecast - there's been loads of discussion about it on snowheads over the years, mostly because people fail to understand the nature of computer-generated forecasts (ie with no intelligent thinking brain interpreting what the models are producing). then they say "but they forecast 13 cms of snow and we only got 4cms, they're rubbish".

Snow-forecast uses the GFS data. That means that one very precise outcome is being predicted, on the basis of information (those "wigglies" being discussed elsewhere) which provides for a huge range of possible outcomes from the chaotic systems that create our weather. The outcomes are always uncertain out at that distance, and only looking at the actual models can give you a feel for how likely they are (that's explained in the thread you were referred to the other day). I, for one, hope that snow-forecast are wrong about the last couple of days of the forecast you've linked to as it shows the freezing levels going straight back up again to a very unwelcome 2500m - which would soon see that "big dump" - if it arrives - being eroded away, and it could all be gone again before Christmas. Sad Those forecasts need to be treated with a lot of caution. when they change every run they are particularly likely to be wrong - they've pinned the tail on another bit of the donkey.

There are a couple of very good amateur meteorologists on Snowheads - carled and brian - who have taught us a lot about this over the years. Their own predictions, always much more cautious and less precise (17 cms of snow indeed!) are very well worth reading.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ski-finder wrote:
Ricklovesthepowder, nope not really, watch the time lapse webcam for Nov and you'll see how quick it changes. Last year it all happened on the 18th Nov, I reckon this year 23rd Nov Wink

Note, not a psychic just blindly optimistic

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Optimism wins! Smile

Seriously though it is certainly looking better, seems to be more on the way in time for you early season snow hunters. I'm now getting increasingly more jealous of you NehNeh
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
pam w wrote:
they've pinned the tail on another bit of the donkey.
Elegantly put. Very Happy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Just finished a two day BASP course in the village - lots of lying around in the rain and the mud, but the mountains are starting to fill up nicely with the white stuff. We're also still looking good for the 1st/2nd December for decent temps and high precip...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Snowmonkey, bring on the 1st/2nd then!!! good amount has fallen today in avoriaz
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
hows it looking up there today folks??? loads of snow forecast at weekend by the looks of things!!!
latest report
Quote:

loads of snow forecast at weekend

certainly looks like precipitation. As to whether it will be snow, sleet or rain below the tops ......keep dancing, folks.
latest report
Think positive pam_w looks to me like snow up top and with falling temps we should also see the snow line drop down too Smile
ski holidays
there will be snow down in morzine on sunday/monday. looks like the temp will be staying below freezing whick should help it aswell.
latest report
looks like there will be a really heavy dump sunday/monday!!!
snow report
There ahs been a noticeable temperature drop this morning and even the locals are saying snow on Monday - how much ??????? The snow is at the moment about 1600m. Off for a ski at Saas Fee tomorrow!!!
snow report
snowandtrek, when are Morzine and Les Gets due for their season start?
latest report
snowandtrek, now that is good news Very Happy Enjoy Saas Fee.
snow conditions
IT'S SNOWING IN CHATEL RIGHT NOW Very Happy Very Happy (albeit quite lightly)
snow report
Snowmonkey, any snow = Very Happy

ski-finder, Les Gets 19/12
ski holidays
Quite a bit heavier now since last post Very Happy
snow report
Snowmonkey, snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow report
Yay for the snow! We just need a nice low temperature now and, of course, lots and lots more snowflakes.
snow report
ski-finder,

Five of us are in Morzine from 14th Jan, staying near the Nyon cable. I'm getting jittery now. I don't know the area very well, so I guess that if there's no snow in Morzine, we head up to Avoriaz?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
hurricane72, welcome to snowHead why are you getting jittery? I hope not because of snow, Jan 14th is a long way off. If, and it's a big if, there is no snow in Morzine then yes it is easy to get up to Avoriaz and beyond, or up to Les Gets on the other side of the valley. That's what we'll do on the 31st Jan. However people on here will tell you that you should be able to ski even on the lower slopes into Morzine, even if the village itself isn't too snowy. I'm sure you'll have a great time and let's hope we get plenty more snow between now and then.

The snow forecast for this weekend Sun/Mon is due to fall right down into the valley, maybe this year it will stick around too... who know! Smile
ski holidays
just checked the latest forecast, thursday at 9pm the top of avoriaz had 71cm forecas in the next week, now when ive just checked there is 32cm forecast rolling eyes
ski holidays
Ricklovesthepowder, that's becausse it's impossible to guess how many cms may or may not fall, each set of data tells a different story and forecasts, well, change like the weather.

Just be glad there's snow coming! snowHead
latest report
Ricklovesthepowder, just forget about the actual number of centimetres in those forecasts - for reasons explored and explained in detail on the thread about weather forecasting, they're a pretty fair waste of time, just one of a myriad outcomes possible from the data in the models. They give a reasonable indication of the kind of level of precipitation forecast - no more. As we know from our own experience in the mountains, precipitation often varies a good deal just from one side of the hill to another anyway. Also, as explained in that thread, the different "runs" use a different approach anyway, so some variation is to be expected.

Those who know about weather tell us that the quantity of precipitation is one of the most difficult aspects to forecast accurately - how often do you here a weather forecast say there will be "2mm of rain in Southampton and 3mm of rain in Portsmouth".

If you get hung up on the number of centimetres you'll drive yourself mad. You're not going for a while anyway, are you?
snow report
pam w wrote:
Ricklovesthepowder, just forget about the actual number of centimetres in those forecasts - for reasons explored and explained in detail on the thread about weather forecasting, they're a pretty fair waste of time, just one of a myriad outcomes possible from the data in the models. They give a reasonable indication of the kind of level of precipitation forecast - no more. As we know from our own experience in the mountains, precipitation often varies a good deal just from one side of the hill to another anyway. Also, as explained in that thread, the different "runs" use a different approach anyway, so some variation is to be expected.

Those who know about weather tell us that the quantity of precipitation is one of the most difficult aspects to forecast accurately - how often do you here a weather forecast say there will be "2mm of rain in Southampton and 3mm of rain in Portsmouth".

If you get hung up on the number of centimetres you'll drive yourself mad. You're not going for a while anyway, are you?

erm............no, 26th jan, there is plenty of time yet but i just like it when there is lots of snow and people skiing on the webcam!!! im sure that i will be fine when i go, its just under 2 months away but like i said, i just want to see lots of snow!!! when are you heading out there pam???
snow report
Ricklovesthepowder, believe me that 26/01 is a while in snow terms wink

I'm going in just over three weeks and I'm not panicing yet, for all the use that would do. Much more exciting this way Very Happy If you have a look at the cams, you will see that there is a dusting down to about 1500m so it is looking more hopeful, and there is a reasonable forecast.
snow report
Quote:

hen are you heading out there pam???

Thursday week. Just been watching the skiing from the "snow-starved hills of Colorado" on Eurosport. wink
latest report
Saas Fee was good - got those ski legs going! Left there this morning in a howling wind and light snow. Avoriaz has more snow at the same height than Saas Fee and Chamonix looks barren (stopped off there for lunch on the way home today).

Temperatures are 5/8 degrees at 1000m so needs to get a bit colder.

Looks like the southern Alps (Italy) are getting some snow today but nothing here yet.

Will keep you all posted!
ski holidays
snowandtrek wrote:
Saas Fee was good - got those ski legs going! Left there this morning in a howling wind and light snow. Avoriaz has more snow at the same height than Saas Fee and Chamonix looks barren (stopped off there for lunch on the way home today).

Temperatures are 5/8 degrees at 1000m so needs to get a bit colder.

Looks like the southern Alps (Italy) are getting some snow today but nothing here yet.

Will keep you all posted!

cheers snowtrek, keep us updated mate, thanks
snow report
It's all white in the village this morning! At last winter here we come...yipppeeeeeeeeee

Will take some piccies when I take the dog for a walk later this morning!!

Forecast is for snow all week!!! Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
ski holidays
snowandtrek, Madeye-Smiley Very Happy

Three weeks Thursday snowHead
snow conditions
snowandtrek, awesome news, be great to see the Morzine cams white rather than the usual grey! Wink

Keep the updates coming, looking forward to the pics too!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy