Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avoriaz / Morzine / Les Gets / Chatel - 2009/10

Poster: A snowHead
ski-finder, yeh cleared it up for me, thanks for that. i get the general idea anyway, cheers Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
and is this the forecast for the avoriaz area??? if not how do i get on for there, cheers for your reply, really helpfull, rick
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ricklovesthepowder, those graphs are only available for while degrees so that one will cover pretty close to the PdS area and a little wider, but it is at approx Avoriaz altitude I think.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
FOR CHART AND GRAPH LOVERS - this is a new one I have found - white stripes mean snow!

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gefs_cartes.php?ech=6&code=0&mode=2
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
snowandtrek wrote:
FOR CHART AND GRAPH LOVERS - this is a new one I have found - white stripes mean snow!

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gefs_cartes.php?ech=6&code=0&mode=2

Nice find :cool:
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
So who is heading out to where and when this year? Lets me know who I am snow dancing in aid of snowHead

I'm off to Morzine 31st Jan 2010
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
im off to chatel on 26th Jan 2010, lets hope there will be snow by then!!!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Me and 5 others are off on 3rd January, not looking great at the moment!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Loyalroyal, where are you heading???
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
ski-finder, I live here, and this is when I should be getting early season turns in on empty pistes...so do a snow dance for poor old me Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We shall be off to Les Gets on 13th December till the end of January - always been ok for the past ten years or so, but the mind has a way of wiping out what it doesn't want to recall!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ski-finder, we will be in PdS for the w/c 30th January and really hoping that the Snow God will be generous. Nothing quite like fresh powder every day!! Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
for all those who are heading out there in the next 3 weeks i have my fingers crossed for you, you will possibly need it!!!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hornster, can we just concentrate on those going in December first please? Toofy Grin Laughing
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Sorry Ricklovespowder, we're going to Morzine, staying at Le Sherpa
ski holidays

Things are looking promising for the turn of the month.
We could just do with the cold front to push in a liitle further south and establish itself.
At the moment its like the Okey Cokey,in and out with every run.
The Westerlies keep on bringing in the rain fronts but the height of the snowline is marginal at best.
I am coming out to Les Crosets over New Yr and at the moment I dont mind saying I,m getting a bit twitchy with the sustained warm wet weather.
ski holidays
hedley, twitchy, yes me too, despite telling myself there's still five weeks.
snow report
Im out to Chatel on the 26th December. 3 years ago we came out the week before christmas with 50 school children and had to be bused to avoriaz everyday, I so dont want to do that this year, please let it snow! Laughing please please please
ski holidays
Calm down folks - there's plenty of time yet rolling eyes
ski holidays
Lou, 5 weeks is not that long away and with no base layer down things are looking slightly grim!!! 3rd dec looks a little better but still doesnt look like enough, Avoriaz is ment to have a ski festival on the 12th dec, its not looking to promi Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled sing!!!
ski holidays
FlyingStantoni wrote:

It is bad compared to this time last year. Don't think we are going to get the brilliant start to the season we had last Xmas...... Sad
latest report
kendadj, have been at or just after 25 Dec for last five years and have only missed half a day's skiing 31/12/06 because of poor snow (and that was THE bad year in many places) Very Happy
snow report
Still have my money on the 2nd/3rd December but may have to check with one of the local oracles! Of to get the ski legs this weekend in Saas Fee!

kendadj It may be less snow than at the same time for the last 2 winters but it only takes 2 good days of snow for them to open the lifts!
ski holidays
Well the base is back, so all you worrying folk can stop worrying! I woke up to very white mountains this morning. And as I type there is a snowstorm coming towards us from Pre La Joux...

However, it looks as though the big dump with colder temps will be around the 1st/2nd December.

Very Happy
ski holidays
kendadj wrote:
It is bad compared to this time last year.

Personally I'm glad of that. Last year's start put a shed load of instability into the snow pack that will have stayed all season.

I'd prefer just a plain old "ordinary" start to the season.
snow report
I think we were spoil last year with the good early start to the season
snow conditions
kendadj wrote:
FlyingStantoni wrote:

It is bad compared to this time last year. Don't think we are going to get the brilliant start to the season we had last Xmas...... Sad

Given that most resorts don't plan on opening until the week before Xmas, how can it be bad?????
snow conditions
kendadj, as others have said... we're still almost 3 weeks from even the highest resort in the PdS opening... forecast looks promising and as long as we have some snow by the actual season start then everyone will be happy. No point judging the success of the start of the season BEFORE the season has started!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
FlyingStantoni, the voice of reason. Very Happy
snow report
This site may be of use to some. Its summarises the PdS resorts including most of the webcams, though some of the links are broken.

http://ict.ewi.tudelft.nl/~robbert/skidomain/portesdusoleil/

Apologies if you seen it before
latest report
thanks for the link, never seen that before, the webcam from Planachaux is stunning, tale a look NehNeh
ski holidays
had a great offer for chalet in Avoriaz 13th Dec. do you guys think it's a gamble to book now or should i wait a couple of weeks?
i have to go the week 12/13 do you think i should pay extra and book snow sure resort?
ski holidays
martone, easy for me to say, but I would be tempted (if it's a really great offer wink )
snow conditions
Lou, i'm tempted,but worried the reduction (about £250) is because they know something i don't. Always sceptical when something sounds too good to be true.
snow conditions
martone, they couldn't possibly know about anything that snowHeads don't Very Happy

As I say to our kids before every skiing hol (normally end Dec and early April), it will probably be fine like it always has been, but we'll chuck the walking boots in the roofbox just in case.........

Bring your walking boots, it seems to work for us Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Quote:

because they know something i don't.

they may know there's no hot water in that chalet, or that the chef is useless, or that it's miles from the lifts, or that the beds are lumpy. They also know that most people don't go skiing in mid December and they will definitely know that big chunks of the PdS are not due to open till 19 December.

What they definitely don't know is whether there'll be any snow or not.

The time to start panicking about snow (or gloating because there's just been a big snowstorm) is not earlier than 10 days before you go.
latest report
cheers pam w, Lou,
just gettin a bit itchy now its only 3 weeks off,
was in Avoriaz/pds in March,was fantastic,would love to return.
snow conditions
there is a fair bit forecast over the next few days, i would risk it, but like others say, large parts will not be open!!!
latest report
Quote:

March,was fantastic,would love to return

martone, don't forget that March was great just about everywhere - can't expect those conditions every year. I wouldn't every book a mid-December too long in advance - there are always plenty of discounts, and you just have no idea at this point what the snow will be like. Freezing levels are still high - the considerable precipitation forecast over the next day or so will probably fall as rain except at the top. Avoriaz village will, I imagine, be as miserable as sin. Looking much better for early December though; fingers crossed.
latest report
pam w wrote:
Avoriaz village will, I imagine, be as miserable as sin.

You can hardly blame the weather for that though wink

(Just kidding... rolling eyes)
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy