Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austria It Just Doesn't Appeal To Me

Poster: A snowHead
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
Planes & mountains tend not to mix. Pilot friend of mine says that Innsbruck is, by a no6 bus ride, THE HAIRIEST approach in his companies entire schedule

No argument on that score but it's always good to get the adrenelin buzzing before you step off the plane. The main downside I have found with Innsbruck is the conditions forcing the plane to divert to either Salzburg or Munich which is a real pain if diy travelling.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
np

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Wed 23-09-09 11:40; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
alex_heney wrote:
stanton, That is your choice. It isn't everybody's choice.

Stop the Brutal Gromming, holidays will dissapear Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Roy Hockley, I have sent you a PM

andyph, just don't go on the TO organised outings.
Much of the food is really good. Goulash and Wiener Schnitzel everyone knows, but local dishes such as Boiled beef with dumplings and horseradish are great too. Not to mention some great sweets such as Germknodel and Kaiserschmarm and cakes such as Linzertorte (apple strudel presumably needs no introduction).

Everything being cheese based is more Switzerland (or sometimes French Tarrentaise) . Think Vienna.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Wed 23-09-09 12:04; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Planes & mountains tend not to mix. Pilot friend of mine says that Innsbruck is, by a no6 bus ride, THE HAIRIEST approach in his companies entire schedule

Don't pilots have to have special training / a license to land there ?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Frosty the Snowman, thanks for that snippet of info. Not.

Wink
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
When we flew into Innsbruck a couple of years ago it was late afternoon and the sun was setting and all the mountains were tinged in pink and orange colours. It was a stunning sight, really breathtaking.

To be honest I preferred landing in clear weather where I could see the mountains! On another occasion there was a big storm and we bounced down into Innsbruck knowing how close those mountains were but not being able to see them.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Innsbruck's my favourite! snowHead Although early morning departures from there are often delayed because of the weather - normal service seems to resume again mid-late morning. I've never had to divert though. Yet.....
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Oh - and a word of warning for any laydees who may be wearing a skirt/dress. Not likely I know but you never know....

When you're in the departures side at Innsbruck, the toilets are downstairs. The hally part downstairs with the gents and ladies off has a part glass ceiling, which is the floor of the departure lounge.....
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
stanton wrote:
alex_heney wrote:
stanton, That is your choice. It isn't everybody's choice.

Stop the Brutal Gromming, holidays will dissapear Very Happy Very Happy

And so would the industry/infrastructure. It's my one holiday per year and hundreds of thousands more like me. Resorts need our money.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Innsbruck Airport

March should not be a problem with diversions due to bad weather which it can be in the height of winter where flights are diverted mainly to Munich but can be Milan, Stuttgart Zurich or even Vienna

Of course aviation navigation has come along way since this crash which closed the airport for years

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1298&dat=19640302&id=kCIRAAAAIBAJ&sjid=l4oDAAAAIBAJ&pg=7313,4557623

Landing at Innsbruck

http://youtube.com/v/JU92lLIhBLs

http://youtube.com/v/nvJy6tbox0k
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
stanton wrote:

Landing at Innsbruck

http://youtube.com/v/JU92lLIhBLs

http://youtube.com/v/nvJy6tbox0k

or this one much better:
http://youtube.com/v/K-zZIyS-6Jk&NR=1
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The only time I've landed at Innsbruck the plane did two turns to loose height within the valley once (it seemed) it was below the tops of the mountains. Awesome.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.

http://youtube.com/v/rKa9ILqgtS4&feature=related shows the 180 turn that planes often have to do; can't see that being fun in bad weather. "What mounta...................."
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Pilots need mountain ratings for the mountain airports they fly into...

The only thing they might do more often than normal is bang the plane down hard onto the tarmac as they have less room for error.

Courcheval altiport is a one chance only landing and if you get it wrong, you stack it... as you can't outclimb the facing mountain...
Alway wanted to go in there on my mates rating... but I think we need to take an ex-commercial as well...

still hoping..

Innsbruck is great as is Sion..

Still thinking the OP should get their head round Austria... but I like Switzerland as they don't have the Euro, and are a bit inbetween the Austrain feel and the French skiing..IMO
snow conditions
cathy wrote:
Oh - and a word of warning for any laydees who may be wearing a skirt/dress. Not likely I know but you never know....

When you're in the departures side at Innsbruck, the toilets are downstairs. The hally part downstairs with the gents and ladies off has a part glass ceiling, which is the floor of the departure lounge.....

Ssshhh! I've spent many a happy moment looking up there Very Happy
snow report
Timberwolf wrote:

Don't pilots have to have special training / a license to land there ?

That's that one struck of the list then! Embarassed
ski holidays
snowball wrote:
Much of the food is really good. Goulash and Wiener Schnitzel everyone knows, but local dishes such as Boiled beef with dumplings and horseradish are great too. Not to mention some great sweets such as Germknodel and Kaiserschmarm and cakes such as Linzertorte (apple strudel presumably needs no introduction).

Everything being cheese based is more Switzerland (or sometimes French Tarrentaise) . Think Vienna.

I don't really do TO anything, if I can help it, hence the question about driving. Am I to conclude that it's just too far to drive?

And by cheese, I meant the music and thigh-slapping. I love fondue, tartiflette, raclette and all other manifestations of the fromagier's art. Very Happy
latest report
Bristol - Innsbruck plane lands at 11.10 am, in taxi 11.30am, in hotel 11.35am to dump bags and quick change, 11.40 hop back into same taxi and arrive at Mutters slopes at 11.50 to buy ski pass, 12.00 midday on piste for genuine half day skiing/boarding on first day of hols Very Happy
snow report
andyph wrote:
Am I to conclude that it's just too far to drive?

Assuming you mean from the UK to Austria? I worked out Leeds routes from viamichelin as follows:

to Val D’Isere is

Costs
186.63 EUR
Toll 63.32 EUR | Petrol 123.31 EUR
Time
14h32 which 10h04 on motorways
Distance
1379 km which 1128 km on motorways

Whereas to Stuben, Austria is actually loads nearer!!

Costs
139.89 EUR
Toll 47.62 EUR | Petrol 92.27 EUR
Time
10h30 which 08h14 on motorways
Distance
1041 km which 925 km on motorways
ski holidays
andyph wrote:
snowball wrote:

I don't really do TO anything, if I can help it, hence the question about driving. Am I to conclude that it's just too far to drive?

No. there really isn't much in it. Some places in Austria are closer than some in France, others are a bit further. But there won't often be more than a couple of hours in it either way.

For example, viaMichelin gives:

Calais - Val Thorens 941Km, 9h 24m

Calais - Kitzbuhel 1103 Km, !0h 05m

Quote:

And by cheese, I meant the music and thigh-slapping. I love fondue, tartiflette, raclette and all other manifestations of the fromagier's art. Very Happy

Most of that happens at the bottom of the mountain (or part way up it!) between about 15:30 and 18:00. Not too difficult to ignore/bypass if you don't like it. I tend to head straight back to the hotel and not bother much with immediat apres-ski.
latest report
stevew wrote:
The only time I've landed at Innsbruck the plane did two turns to loose height within the valley once (it seemed) it was below the tops of the mountains. Awesome.

The one I was on in January 2008, after a lot of turbulence on the way in, was the only time I have been on a flight where the entire cabin burst into spontaneous applause once we had touched down. Shocked

And that was landing in the dark, where you could make out the lights of the piste bashers on the mountains above us as we came in Smile
snow conditions
stanton wrote:
Innsbruck Airport

March should not be a problem with diversions due to bad weather which it can be in the height of winter where flights are diverted mainly to Munich but can be Milan, Stuttgart Zurich or even Vienna

Or Verona. The one time I was flying out of there in a snowstorm, most of the UK flights were diverted to Verona, which was about 3 hours down the motorway in a coach.

But my flight that day was with Lauda Air (the charter arm of Austrian), and they were the only commercial flights still flying to/from Innsbruck.
ski holidays
Hmm... So I can get to Lech in about 100 miles further than PdS, but with lower toll fees. And 375 miles of that are in Germany at high speed... so it's only about an hour longer in drive time. If I build in an overnight stop then that makes no difference really.

Lift passes are more than Les Gets, comparable to PdS, but actually break even overall as the Austrians will allow my daughter to have a child pass. Hmm....

How do I go about finding chalet-style accomodation and catering in a nice location that's not too far from the slopes (meaning I want to be on a lift or skiing in less than 5 minutes)?
Edit: for about £450 a head.
ski holidays
Andyph... How old is your daughter, the Arlberg pass is only 10 Euro for infants born 2002 and after... have pm re a great route for driving over here
latest report
Quote:
Final reservation - how practical is it to drive?

Doodle and free as well - no Péage on Belgium, Luxembourg or German motorways and a 7.50 Euro vignette for 10 days should cover you for the Austrian motorways and Schnellstrasse.

Cheapest fuel in Western Europe in Luxembourg and then cheaper fuel in Austria than Germany. I paid 0.909€ a litre for diesel in Salzburg today whereas they wanted 1.13€ on the German autobahn service areas last night (I actually paid 1.099 off autobahn last night).

I regularly drive from Dunkirk to east of Munich in one hop on my own - takes about 8 hours driving plus an hour or so for rest stops. And I'm no Spring Chicken either - more like an old broiler! Laughing

Sue wink
snow conditions
Cheers for the PM, sidneyreilly. Daughter is 15... probably too tall to pass off as an infant. wink

I'm slowly coming round to the idea. Maybe I should squeeze in a cheeky weekend early season "for research purposes". Toofy Grin
snow report
sidneyreilly wrote:
Andyph... How old is your daughter, the Arlberg pass is only 10 Euro for infants born 2002 and after... have pm re a great route for driving over here

That might have just swung it for me Smile Couldn't work it out from the website, is that 10 Euro for a week??
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Actually it is for the season so if you are planning on a couple of trips make sure you specify season not week !! Here is the link to the Lift Pass prices:
http://www.arlberg.com/index.php?id=19&L=1
latest report
Well as I am the OP, not totally convinced re the skiing. But for a couple of years have been dabbling with maybe buying a place in the Alps. Several reasons

1 Love the place should have been born there
2 The most important reason, somewhere where me and my family can go for hols and long weekends
3 Investment, lets not kid ourselves,it aint going to self finance, but would sooner spend what I spend on hols on buying a place and maybe with rentals this would help
4 When looking in my usual haunts €250k, (which BTW is way out of mt league), buys me the square meterage of something no bigger than my lounge !!
5 My personal circumstances, would allow me to buy a place and with some rent thrown in at the peak season I might be able to afford it without living on bread & water for the next 20 years
6 Why pay into my pension fund

Like I say have have looked at Les Arcs and the likes and the figures dont stack up (not for me anyway) But have looked on the net and this just my be a goer

Have 3 weeks vacation in June and am seriously contemplating going on a fact finding trip (would be a road trip)

The property prices in the area are actually reasonable by Alpine standards

BTW not a dreamer would NEVER buy without visiting a couple of times both Winter & Summer

My Mum would love it, youngest 74 year old in the UK snowHead snowHead
snow report
Samerberg Sue wrote:
alex_heney, offer still stands Alex for you and the missus!

Cheapie to/from Salzburg or Munich and I'll pick you up and drop you off again - we can sort out ski hire and do days all over the place! Can't offer a Wellness area or sauna but there is an excellent thermal centre about 20 minutes away!

Think about it!

wink

Thank you.

But I really don't think I'm going to be able to ever persuade my wife to take a winter holiday in the mountains Sad
snow report
stanton wrote:
Skiing is NOT a holiday its a SPORT.

Holiday are for relaxation Very Happy

Skiing can be relaxing.

Especially when you got 10" of powder! Very Happy

Besides, a "sport" that needs mecahnical assistant to get up the hill is... well, driving a car in the city of London is probably more "sporty"! Laughing

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Thu 24-09-09 0:24; edited 1 time in total
snow report
abc wrote:
stanton wrote:

Skiing can be relaxing.

Why do you fall over and go to sleep Razz Razz

Maybe I dont know how to float, Me being more akin to the groomers snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
Kel wrote:
abc wrote:
stanton wrote:

Skiing can be relaxing.

Maybe I dont know how to float, Me being more akin to the groomers snowHead snowHead

Falling over in powder is actually quite "relaxing". Smile

And you really don't need to hurry to get up (hint, it won't help to hurry).
latest report
abc wrote:
Kel wrote:
abc wrote:
stanton wrote:

Skiing can be relaxing.

Falling over in powder is actually quite "relaxing". Smile

And you really don't need to hurry to get up (hint, it won't help to hurry).

I know Ive fell over more times than I want to remember. Ski on Piste skis, not the fat floaters, thats why Me and powder dont really get on

Very Happy Purist's will cane Me for this, but I am what I am and I dont Toofy Grin Sh$t

Can ski powder 10" is about as deep as I can manage.
snow report
Wait a minute. Just noticed the snow-chains thread concerning Austrian requirements. So if I've go this right, my car with regular tyres and snow-chains is legal in snow and ice but not slush, when the only legal set up is 4 winter tyres? rolling eyes Well screw that for a game of soldiers.
ski holidays
Lech (linked to Zurs), is a smaller (village and ski area), posher (more fur coats per square inch than almost any other ski resort) and ski-wise less challenging neighbour to St Anton. You can ski both on one ski pass and using a short bus ride (or challenging off piste) to get from one to the other.
ski holidays
andyph wrote:
Wait a minute. Just noticed the snow-chains thread concerning Austrian requirements. So if I've go this right, my car with regular tyres and snow-chains is legal in snow and ice but not slush, when the only legal set up is 4 winter tyres? rolling eyes Well screw that for a game of soldiers.

AIUI, the winter tyres are only required for residents, but are recommended for everyone.
ski holidays
snowball wrote:
Lech (linked to Zurs), is a smaller (village and ski area), posher (more fur coats per square inch than almost any other ski resort) and ski-wise less challenging neighbour to St Anton. You can ski both on one ski pass and using a short bus ride (or challenging off piste) to get from one to the other.

IMHO, Zurs has serious steeps, and you do not have to go far from the piste to get to them, eg the bowl on the left of the Madloch chair, or some of the lines possible from Trittkopf or Zursertali. There is piste between Zurs and Lech. To Lech, from Zurs, you go via Madloch and Zug. The other way takes you from Rufikopf to Hexaboden.

Agree on the fur coats. Zurs is serious money.

Same ski pass gives you access to St Anton, St Christoph, Stuben, Sonnenkopf, and Pettneu.
ski holidays
ulmerhutte wrote:

IMHO, Zurs has serious steeps, and you do not have to go far from the piste to get to them, eg the bowl on the left of the Madloch chair, or some of the lines possible from Trittkopf or Zursertali. There is piste between Zurs and Lech. To Lech, from Zurs, you go via Madloch and Zug. The other way takes you from Rufikopf to Hexaboden.

Agree on the fur coats. Zurs is serious money.

Same ski pass gives you access to St Anton, St Christoph, Stuben, Sonnenkopf, and Pettneu.

Yes, I was thinking of Lech (which I know from my childhood). Even here, though, I gather there is a bit of serious off piste from the cable car directly back to the village). I agree there is some moderately steep stuff at Zurs, though I don't know it well - mostly passing through it on the circuit off the back of St Anton to Zurs, around to Lech and back again.

I said Zurs was linked to Lech. But St Anton, as I mentioned, is only linked by serious off piste or a short(ish) bus ride.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy