Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austria It Just Doesn't Appeal To Me

Poster: A snowHead
Shimmy Alcott wrote:
Kel, I'm exactly the same as you...want to go to Austria to save some money but I look at all the piste maps in the ski brochures and cant see one that really jumps out at me.

x2.

Kel, for some reason I've never considered Austria to be on the radar either. Irrational, I know.

But, anticipating we probably will have good snow again this season, there may be a couple of last minutes to Europe, so Austria intrigues me.

Showing my naivety, is there good off-piste available in Austria, mainly within the area, with few restrictions (where sensible), and no guide needed?

Don't mind a fair walk to the lifts, or smallish area, or quieter apres. Not bothered about "chocolate box" villages either, but have always preferred reasonable base altitude, and basic but clean/warm digs.

(Sorry, if this is hijacking, please split it off).

John.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

mainly within the area

I think that's just a North American way of seeing things, isn't it? In Europe you're either on the marked piste, or off it.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
pam w wrote:
Quote:

mainly within the area

I think that's just a North American way of seeing things, isn't it? In Europe you're either on the marked piste, or off it.

Yes.

I guess I'm asking "is unguided off-piste, for the competent, ok?" Some places I've been in Europe it's not been allowed (or a grey area).

John.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

I tend to like the Austrian or Germanic Swiss ski resorts because I enjoy being in the minority/foreigner, rather than heading to the Brit enclaves of Courchevel/Meribel/Val Thorens/Verbier etc., where the language of choice in the Queen's English

I like all those things too, but there are plenty of places in France where being Anglophone puts you in a small minority. One of our friends, particularly challenged in the language department, actually failed to reserve a table for dinner at our local restaurant where the proprietor speaks not a single word of English. They just had a complete comms failure - a bit dim on both their parts, really, as a few scribbled notes of time and numbers would have done the trick.

I have said it already but will say it again because of the constant appearance of quotes like the one above. The choice is between big well known resorts used extensively by British tour operators and small, much more local, places which retain more character and are more attractive to some holiday makers. It isn't just Austria versus France, for gooness' sake! I stayed in an Italian hotel - near Cortina - where the proprietors didn't speak a word of English too, though the young waitress spoke a few words to match with my very few of Italian. As far as I could make out when we paid our bill we were the first British guests they'd had. The entire place was full of Italians - it was great.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Shimmy Alcott, L2A and VT Very Happy

I know what you mean and it seemed strange deciding to go a resort with less than 100km of piste having only previously visited the big Frenchies, but what I found was that the skiing is on grassy 'open' mountains (sometimes both sides of a valley), rather than on a hard rock in-between cliffs base, means you can see from piste to piste quite well with the added bonus of loads of safe 'between piste' areas - almost an extension of the pistes really; a bit like the PDS I suppose in this respect.

It is good to be talking about snow Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Kel, what's a Yetti bar? If it's guaranteed full of drunk Brits who are inclined to spew on the icy pavement on the way home then no, there aren't any round our way. wink
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pam w wrote:
Quote:

I tend to like the Austrian or Germanic Swiss ski resorts because I enjoy being in the minority/foreigner, rather than heading to the Brit enclaves of Courchevel/Meribel/Val Thorens/Verbier etc., where the language of choice in the Queen's English
I have said it already but will say it again because of the constant appearance of quotes like the one above. The choice is between big well known resorts used extensively by British tour operators and small, much more local, places which retain more character and are more attractive to some holiday makers. It isn't just Austria versus France, for gooness' sake! I stayed in an Italian hotel - near Cortina - where the proprietors didn't speak a word of English too, though the young waitress spoke a few words to match with my very few of Italian. As far as I could make out when we paid our bill we were the first British guests they'd had. The entire place was full of Italians - it was great.

The OP specifically referred to his/her preference to mega motorway km piste-filled resort and was struggling to come up with an Austrian equivalent due to the smallish size of the resorts, hence the direction of the discussion (Austrian resorts can compare to the mega French ones), and suggesting smaller French resorts was not really an option because he/she seemed reluctant to consider the Austrian equivalent of the small lower altitude cosy French resort.

But you are right, French skiing is not limited to the mega resorts, even though at times it is seems that wat on snowHead Very Happy
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Shimmy Alcott, try this:
http://www.ischgl.com/downloads/winter/pistenpanorama_ischgl.jpg

http://ski3.intermaps.com/serfaus-fiss-ladis/index.asp?&chn=zoom0&Reg=zmP0&Lang=en&Aktuell=Lifte

Ischgl and Serfaus are not very popular with UK operators and they might not be cheap by Austrian standards

In Saalbach, one drag lift is unavoidable if you do the circus, but the rest is very modern:

http://ski3.intermaps.com/saalbach/index.asp?Lang=de&Aktuell=Lifte
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
BCjohnny wrote:
pam w wrote:
Quote:

mainly within the area

Yes.

I guess I'm asking "is unguided off-piste, for the competent, ok?" Some places I've been in Europe it's not been allowed (or a grey area).

John.

It does depend on where you go, but there is certainly plenty of it available in many places. And yes, you are (usually) allowed to go there.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
alex_heney, thanks.

Which areas? How can I find out? And can it change, say week to week (excluding avi reasons, poor cover etc)?

When you go to Ca, you pretty much know what you're getting. Unless it's dumping, spending the whole time "on-piste" wouldn't appeal.

Cheers, John.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Serfaus is excellent, with a good variety of terrain, high altitude, no ski bus needed - and no brits. Last season I heard in the distance one english speaker..... have a look at this previous thread: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=34976&highlight=serfaus 190 km of piste, highest point 2,800 metres.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Kel, go to France you'll hate Austria Very Happy

Shimmy Alcott, I wouldn't rely on the TO brochure piste maps, often out of date with lifts missing, non-existent lifts marked or lifts and runs in the wrong places. The Ski Welt is one example of this and then their own map isn't all that clear.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
BCjohnny, The Arlberg has something like 285km of pisted runs, 180km of iteneries plus off piste. The iteneries are the 'grey' area - marked routes but not (in the main) pisted - although did notice one this year that had been pisted.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
boabski, Cheers.

John.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
You may want to checkout an old post I made (never got round to finsishing it)

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=17499&highlight=arlberg+piste
latest report
BCjohnny wrote:
alex_heney, thanks.

Which areas? How can I find out? And can it change, say week to week (excluding avi reasons, poor cover etc)?

It doesn't generally change, apart from conditions, no. Obviously, the longer it is since the last dump. the more tracked it will be, but that is true everywhere.

I don't really do off-piste, so can only go by what things look like, and where I have seen other people going. In the last two years, I have been to the Zillertal and to the Ski Welt

In the Zillertal, there were what looked like huge areas available between the Zell am Ziller side and the Gerlos side of the Zillertal Arena. I think there was also quite a bit (but busier) in the Mayrhofen area too.

The Ski Welt had a fair number of itineraries, but also loads of off-piste between most of the pistes.
ski holidays
Off piste in Austria is just as changeable as anywhere, really, but there's loads of v accessable stuff. This is about 3km from Obertauern (sp?), I guess. Poor photo quality, but it gives you an idea.

[img]http://snowmediazone.com/the_zone/data/500/CC_skiing.bmp[/img]

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Wed 23-09-09 13:34; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
Hey Guys. I would suggest St.Anton...... it has everything..... I would say that because I live there!!! However check out www.st-antonamarlberg.eu
latest report
Kel wrote:
Looking to book a week mid March for family hols. Everyone tell's me how wonderful Austria is, trouble is when I start doing my research, I look at the Piste map too small, Hotel 200 yds from the bus stop , top station 2200 M etc etc.

The thing is I always go to the French ski factories and admittedly I am the kind of skier who likes to clock up the miles, which I know some of you will find mundane, but not me. Also want ski in ski out and somewhere that the conditions are still likely to be good in March. Les Arcs is probably my fauvorite area.

Everything I want from a holiday Austria on the face of it does not seem to provide, but all these people who tell me how good Austria is , they cant all be wrong can they.

1. Lech;
2. Saalbach.
snow conditions
alex_heney wrote:
Kel wrote:
Just had another look at the ski welt piste map. The skiweltbahn ropeway 3410 M long with a vertical of 1010 M, on a ropeway Shocked Shocked Never

There was only one drag lift I used in the entire trip last year (No. 88 on the piste map).

I did use that a few times, and as espri will recall, I fell off it once Embarassed

Didn't like to mention it Laughing but that is the only longer T-bar that I can think of too. And a new 6-seater chairlift is just being built to serve the same piste for this winter. The T-bar remains, slightly shortened, for those that like them.

Where are you off to this time, Alex?
snow report
Interseting You look in the brochures on the net, the places that seem to come up are Kaprun and Zell am Zee, these have hardly been mentioned on here. Have to say I am amazed by everyones comments I Can feel a March trip to Ischgl may be on the cards.
snow conditions
Kel, Kaprun is an excellent glacier resort, but a bit fragmented in that there are three areas - the glacier reached by a 20 minute 2-stage cable car from a car park 5 miles out of town, a local hill with 3 runs into the centre of town, and Zell am See 5 miles in the other direction. I like it, but mainly because I could get to it in 80 minutes from landing at Salzburg in a hire car, and Ryanair/Easyjet used to do 6am flights out on Friday, and 6pm flights back on Sunday for £20 in total. It has its limitations, but Zell am See is very picturesque and the area has enough to satify an intermediate for a week. You asked for something to rival the French megaresorts, and with minimal bus travel, so that ruled out both of them immediately.

I'm going back in February with my wife and her family, which will be my 4th visit. Just to confuse matters, I'm also going to Zell am Ziller in January Very Happy
ski holidays
Shimmy Alcott, how about this more than enough to go at for a week and all in the same lift pass
http://ski.intermaps.com/skiarlberg/
ski holidays
ischgl serfaus st anton lech should all be worth a look. a meal out on lech mountain hut was damn sight cheaper than most french resorts. I like fench austrian and swiss ski resorts Very Happy
snow report
espri wrote:

Where are you off to this time, Alex?

I'm not sure yet that I will be able to manage it at all Sad

We still haven't sold our house, which means I am still doing 750 miles/week commuting, plus paying a mortgage, so funds are not in great supply.

I'm still hoping, but it will be last minute-ish to wherever is cheap(ish).
ski holidays
Trust it will work out, Alex. I'm just about to put my flat on the market, so I'm hoping that sells quickly.
snow report
alex_heney, offer still stands Alex for you and the missus!

Cheapie to/from Salzburg or Munich and I'll pick you up and drop you off again - we can sort out ski hire and do days all over the place! Can't offer a Wellness area or sauna but there is an excellent thermal centre about 20 minutes away!

Think about it!

wink
latest report
Samerberg Sue, Well done. For all the fun and frolics, this what snowHead s is really about, people who really love skiing offering to help people who really love skiing
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Kel wrote:
I Can feel a March trip to Ischgl may be on the cards.

Me too, check out skyscaner....showing 29 quid each way gatwick to innsbruck
latest report
St Anton is not much more than an hour away from Innsbruck Wink
snow report
Innsbruck is the best airport to land at. The mountains are so close it almost feels like the plane wings touch them! Very Happy
snow conditions
queen bodecia wrote:
Innsbruck is the best airport to land at. The mountains are so close it almost feels like the plane wings touch them! Very Happy

snow report
Kel, if you're idea of a ski holiday is purely about getting out of bed, putting your skis on, skiing as much as you can, having dinner, going to bed (repeat x6) then arguably your best option will be France. However if you want a more rounded holiday then looking further afield to, say, Austria, may open your eyes.

For very many years, up until 5 or 6 years ago, I was of the same mind set as you and, save for the odd exception, always went to one of the larger Franch resorts. But then my ski holidays changed from 'a week of skiing' to 'a skiing holiday', and while I do not doubt that France has much to offer, I have found during these later years that resorts in other countries (Austria and Switzerland) have been more generally appealing. Correct, they do not offer quite the high mileage you may be used to, but they compensate in other ways, many of which have been pointed out in others replies..
snow report
Skiing is NOT a holiday its a SPORT.

Holiday are for relaxation Very Happy
snow report
stanton, That is your choice. It isn't everybody's choice.
snow conditions
I love landing at Innsbruck too, its as if the holiday begins half an hour before you land when you start flying through the mountains. Maybe people love Austria or France or whatever for nostalgia, as the first ski hol or whatever but I first went to Mayrhofen twenty years back and I always get a warm glow going back I just don't get going anywhere in France, Andorra, US etc despite having great weeeks in them all.

snow report
St Anton has everything - huge area (includes Lech and Zurs if you wish), the best off piste, great night life (if you want it - now I find I don't), good skiable vertical, good snow record. And I've even done ski-in ski-out there on the top edge of the village centre - not particularly expensively (I'll look up the hotel if you want to know). The main problem is if you don't want to do the standard Saturday to Saturday.
ski holidays
snowball, I would be interested in the accommodation you mention, and any others you may recommend! Thanks in advance!
ski holidays
Planes & mountains tend not to mix. Pilot friend of mine says that Innsbruck is, by a no6 bus ride, THE HAIRIEST approach in his companies entire schedule
latest report
I'm slowly being persuaded to dip a toe in the Austrian water. My prejuduces have pretty much all been overcome (except the one about over-enthusiastic Germanic bonhomie, but I suppose there must be somewhere you can get a drink that doesn't include thumping Euro-cheese or oompah).

Final reservation - how practical is it to drive?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy