Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Which Soft Shell?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
As there appears to be a bit of christmas/birthday generosity floating around chez Starnberg at the moment, I'm toying with the idea of a soft shell for our trip at the end of March. Absolute warmth isn't a criteria really, but I'm after something reasonably wind and waterproof.

Any suggestions?

Purely from an aesthetic perspective, I rather fancy the north face STH jacket here - anyone had any experience with one?

Much Obliged,

Starnberg
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
starnberg, welcome to snowHeads, for spring skiing I often wear a SOS sweater, absolutely windproof and I would suppose showerproof, it's certainly snowproof and much warmer than the alternative SOS shell that I have for warm days.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 25-01-05 16:14; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
starnberg, welcome to snowHeads snowHead
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I am totally impressed with my Arcteryx Gamma SV.

But a mate has a Haglofs softshell with matching breeks, which I think is considerably cheaper, if hard to source in the UK. I think Nike ACG have an interesting example.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The Arc'teryx Alpha Comp Hoody is meant to be v. good but expensive. Mtn Hardwear also do good softshells.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
No experience with that jacket, but north face in general make good stuff.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
there are different softshell materials around. some (eg Polartec PowerShield) are warmer/more windproof, others more breathable (eg Schoeller Dryskin). Companies are coming out with new materials/constructions all the time eg Patagonia with hybrid shells (soft and hard shell in one) or Gore with N2S which is waterproof. It's all very confusing really. Puzzled

Arcteryx has a bombproof reputation but is very pricey. also highly praised is Cloudeveil which invented the softshell concept a few years ago.

There was a multi-page thread about shells/materials back in Nov/Dec.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
snowman wrote:
Cloudeveil which invented the softshell concept a few years ago

some companies such as Buffalo might dispute this statement! Their website does not say how long they have been around but i would guess at least 30 years.

I often wear a buffalo shirt under my gore-tex when boarding in cold and powdery conditions. The gore-tex is only there for aesthetic reasons and is totally superfluous - i have worn a single layer of buffalo while climbing on Ben Nevis in winter with spindrift falling down on me and remained as warm and comfortable as it could be possible in those circumstances.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I pondered getting a softshell but then decided, what's the point? They are not as waterproof as a hardshell and for spring skiing a hardshell with even just a base layer underneath is more than adequate and comfortable. They just don't seem to have a place as far as I can see.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
conor wrote:
I pondered getting a softshell but then decided, what's the point? .... They just don't seem to have a place as far as I can see.

- Stretch. Thereby a better fit with less bagginess. I think softshell race suits are just around the corner.
- Better perspiration transport than any membrane material yet invented.

EDIT: Previously mentioned thread is here
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Stretch. Thereby a better fit with less bagginess. I think softshell race suits are just around the corner

I think I skied in "softshell" race pants through the 70s and 80s. Not very wind or waterproof though wink
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
David Murdoch wrote:

I think I skied in "softshell" race pants through the 70s and 80s. Not very wind or waterproof though wink

Those beauties! One of the guys I'm going skiing with rocked up in his dad's 70's vintage (never worn) ski flares a couple of years ago. He nearly froze and we nearly died laughing...

conor wrote:

I pondered getting a softshell but then decided, what's the point? They are not as waterproof as a hardshell and for spring skiing a hardshell with even just a base layer underneath is more than adequate and comfortable. They just don't seem to have a place as far as I can see.

Point taken, but my 'shell' is the outer of a columbia 3-way shell/fleece combo and without the fleece and base layers, tends to be rather baggy. (In retrospect I should have bought something different...)

I'm thinking a shell providing both wind resistance and (variable) warmth is ideal for those hopefully sunny days in late march. Come the lunchtime stop for gluhwein, being able to easily strip off to a tee shirt and lounge in the sun sounds rather good.

Plus, it's mostly a birthday present so a little splashing out on the unnecessary is entirely in order!

S.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
David Murdoch wrote:

Laughing snowHead Laughing Fleece has come a long way, baby
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
comprex,
Quote:

Fleece has come a long way, baby

Quite.

What's scarier is that those epicures of couturial elegance, the Milanese, still think they look cool in multi-hued dayglo padded race pants (a la 1980) - and that's just the blokes.

Than, again, maybe they do and maybe it's me that's wrong.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy