Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Windproof fleece or whatever

Poster: A snowHead
I quite fancy a windproof fleece or the like for those sunny, no snow, days. Any views?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I tend to shell and t-shirt those...
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Only if the windproof bit is on the outside of the fleece bit, otherwise it does not work as insulation, and they are great for gathering snow if you fall or should I say get knocked over, but its your choice
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Try this article for starters. Though remember it's written from the point of view of the UK hill as opposed to the European mountain.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Try a soft shell roughly the same price as a decent windstopper but waterproof too thats what i'll be using on those kind of days.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Dypcdiver wrote:
Only if the windproof bit is on the outside of the fleece bit, otherwise it does not work as insulation, and they are great for gathering snow if you fall or should I say get knocked over, but its your choice

I do get knocked over occasionally, sometimes even when there's no-one else around, which is puzzling.

Does the wind proofing really need to be outside the insulation (assuming that the insulation will stay dry)? If heat gets through the windproof layer, the insulation will stop it, and if heat doesn't get through the w'proof layer, fine.

One sunny day last seaon (end of Jan, Avoriaz) I wore a light fleece having a windproof front (over the fleece). It was fine, a bit cool maybe, and I had to stand facing into the wind. The jacket is designed for running and cycling, I think, and was dirt cheap (from Tchibo, weird shop). I thought that something fully windproofed and a bit warmer, with a few more pockets, would be handy.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:
Does the wind proofing really need to be outside the insulation (assuming that the insulation will stay dry)? If heat gets through the windproof layer, the insulation will stop it, and if heat doesn't get through the w'proof layer, fine.

The insulation traps air, which is warmed by your body which keeps you warm. If the insulation is outside the windproofing, then the wind will take that trapped air and blow it away as if there was no windproofing. The air inside the windproofing bit will stay warm, but the insulation part will work as well as windproofless top.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I use a light shell and a fleece. I have a windstopper but it only gets used as a seperate jacket as it is too warm on most days to be the insulation layer under the shell. So I have to carry two fleeces which I can't be bothered to do anymore.

It is a real fair weather garment for the mountains and if I have to take a pack I don't see the point....
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
richmond, there are any number of fabrics that would fall under that category, the Windxxxx marks are explained here . Your question above somewhat relates to the Wind Pro that uses a denser weave instead of a membrane to achieve wind control, the advantage being that it can still be layered under a membrane shell, unlike hard-faced softshells and too-hot Windbloc types. JT's trouble is partially resolved thereby.
Finished garment maker index here.
Very similar principles apply to garments and fabrics from other manufacturers (Patagonia, Nike have their own names for these things), and membrane fabrics are usually listed by membrane maker, the Gore company for example.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Have a windproof fleece that I used to wear but it just doesn't breath well at all. Changed to a normal fleece and shell with plenty of vents which works a lot better. In warm/sunny weather the inside of the goretex XCR shell can experience a build up of moisture but without the shell the wind blows through and it's just too dam cold.

Have come to the conclusion that nothing is going to keep me dry all the time on those sunny/warm days so have gone for a fast drying insulating shell (which isn't 100% waterproof or windproof but is much more breathable than Goretex XCR). Will give it it's first try on the slopes tomorrow.

http://www.mtntools.com/cat/techwear/SoftShell/mammutnewagejacket.htm

http://climbing.com/press/schoellergca/

http://www.guideschoice.com/2004winners.asp
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
richmond, If you have a good ski jacket then a windproof fleece compliments its quite well. You only want it under the warmest conditions though. In my humble opinion if you are going to have light shells and fleeces I would have thought that is essentially what your ski jacket is and when I find it's too warm with it on I just undo the zip. One thing with the fleece though you generally go from 50 million pockets down to just two and I can't get all my clobber in just two and hate any other carrying device.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
richmond, I used to have one and found it worked great on sunny days.

Mind you I have also skiied in normal fleeces and even T-shirts before now, when it's really sunny, with no real problem.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
DB, Are you using one of the next-to-skin layers like Patagonia 0.5 weight?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hubby has a PEAK one which is windproof.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
In hot weather, I just open the front zips and the under-armpit vents. My Columbia jacket has pit vents in both the removeable fleece lining and the outer shell. Great cooling with the advantage of instant closedown to normal if the weather changes for the worse.
One other hot weather tip - wear cycling gloves. Enough to protect your hands if you tumble, leather palms intended for handlebar grips resist the pole straps well, a towelling bit on the thumb for wiping sweaty brows (or dribbly noses) and they are not too hot or bulky. I always take them for late season trips when you really don't need goretex, thinsulate and all that hi-tec stuff.
ski holidays
Brave man Shocked
snow report
comprex wrote:
DB, Are you using one of the next-to-skin layers like Patagonia 0.5 weight?

I have this fettish for Merino wool at the moment, so was wearing a merino wool turtle neck and some patagonia long jongs for base layers today.

PS the Mammut New Age Jacket I mentioned earlier worked well today. I wore it instead of a fleece and put the shell on over the top. Did sweat a couple of times but I did dry out a lot quicker than usual. Needs more testing though so please send snow. snowHead
ski holidays
marc gledhill, my cycling gloves are the winter variety - fully covered fingers. Halfords or any decent cycling shop has them. Not expensive. Unlike most skiing gear ......... wink
ski holidays
kuwait_ian, yeah I guessed - just pulling your chain. Laughing

The warmest cycling gloves are the old "lobster claws" IMHO but none are waterproof at all.
snow report
marc gledhill, then I consider myself flushed. If you don't fall over you don't need waterproof gloves. Laughing
ski holidays
This technical fleece had a glowing write up in the Telegraph recently. It's expensive, but if it does what it says in the construction and features blurb is probably worth it.
Finisterre Technical Fleece
ski holidays
For spring days I prefer an SOS sweater, waterproof(ish) and lined so it's windproof. I also use lightweight gloves, the ones that ski tourers use are perfect.
snow report
Thanks one and all. The Finisterre one looks good, although not many pockets.
ski holidays
I've invested £19.99 in a windproof fleece from Tchibo. It seems to work (in sub-alpine Richmond upon Thames, anyway), although I'm sceptical how much use it will be up a mountain, but for £20, who cares (me, probably, suffering from hypothermia up the top of some mountain in Flaine/Kitzbuhel/Breckenridge)?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy