Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

'Safety Optional' --- Mad or What??

Poster: A snowHead
Megamum,

If you say people can knock their heads against a rock necessitating you to come from a blue run, snowploughing a black run to say them then you are preaching!

You are actually telling people would die without a helmet on a black run while you are toltally safe in a blue slope!

It never occurs to you those people have already graduated from the blue slopes, into the red and then black and haven't died yet without a helemet, but they get into immediate danger while you are wearing a helmet and skiing around them.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
alex_heney wrote:
...........Incidentally, I hink the chances of being involved in "a collision" are far higher than you suggest. It is only collisions involving ijnury that are reported - which I accept are generally the only ones relevant to this debate.

I am a bit curious about that. Thinking about it, I have seen one collision only (albeit an unpleasant one of an out-of-control skier wiping out a young child, then skiing off without offering assistance) in the last 3 or 4 years. However, a lot of sHs appear to have seen or been involved in collisions recently - and this thread suggests it is not unusual. I don't usually ski during school holidays - and I ski quite a bit off-piste. Maybe that is why my experience and those of others varies.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Megamum, That's good to know. Except that half trained, inexperienced first aiders kill more casualties than they save.

Of course if I was unconscious (despite my helmet) and lying without an open airway halfway down a black run (that was suitably close to, and in sight and easy reach of the blue you were snowploughing down) I'd be damned grateful if you could just cruise on down to me, tweak my tongue out and give me a spot of cpr before the qualified and experienced piste patrol came along, far too late to save me.

Or then again, maybe I'll just take my chances wink
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
achilles,
Quote:

and I ski quite a bit off-piste

That is absolutely why you see few collisions and is one of the reasons why - unfortunately very, very belatedly - I have decided to try and learn some off-piste skills. Pistes are becoming more and more dangerous, a combination of more people on them and, I think, the fact that modern skis quite quickly give people the illusion that they can ski competently.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
AxsMan, Laugh all you like, just hope you never need me in such a situation. I might just be tempted to make a little hay at your expense if the situation presented snowHead Mind you, I you said above you wear a helmet didn't you, so hopefully you will be able to avoid the embarassment - that's gotta be a great reason to wear one folks!! Laughing Laughing

Come on let's continue to keep this light hearted - its clear that we are never all going to agree, I just hope no-one ends up with egg on their faces Laughing Helmets with visors required to avoid this scenario Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

half trained, inexperienced first aiders kill more casualties than they save.

B.t.w. on a more serious note - I think St John Ambulance might have an issue with the above if that was specifically aimed at me. Their first aiders are more highly trained than average, we get training in medical gases, defibrulators, airways, casualty movement etc. etc. and often work alongside fully trained paramedics. Some of their staff with the time to do so are actually as trained as NHS ambulance staff.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Mon 25-02-08 0:36; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
alex_heney wrote:
[Pedant]You can't have a fraction of 0%[/pedant] rolling eyes

I think you can, I just can't work out how many 0.00000's there are in the solution to what percent of 4.6m is 14,400? WearTheFoxHat, you're good at maths - any idea?

Otherwise wink Laughing it does finally feel like the beast has been tamed and the echoes of the call to please please please Wear a helmet... (which that and similar threads read more like - you're an idiot if you don't wear a helmet - might finally be dying down.

How about we redirect all the energy, time and money currently being spent on helmets into educating all skiers to behave in their and others best interests on the slopes?

I can see the merits of helmets for certain skiers; those more likely to be on crowded pistes (ergo beginners/early intermediates) and young children (though I hear they bounce quite well in accidents on the whole) so wear a helmet if it's good for you but, please, leave those who choose not to wear one alone Evil or Very Mad
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Megamum wrote:
AxsMan, Laugh all you like, just hope you never need me in such a situation.

Sincerely - me too Shocked

If I'm in trouble on an icy rock strewn black run (how did I get there BTW? I don't usually ski icy rock strewn blacks?) The LAST thing I want is some numpty do gooder trying to snow plough down to me from the nearby blue thinking their two days St Johns ambulance course entitles them to mess with my unconscious body.

Please - LEAVE ME BE!, I stand a MUCH better chance of survival without inexperienced, well meaning but all too often dangerous interventions from folks who don't know what they are doing.

(I was in the emergency services for 10 years BTW.) wink
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Quote:

B.t.w. on a more serious note - I think St John Ambulance might have an issue with the above if that was specifically aimed at me. Their first aiders are more highly trained than average, we get training in medical gases, defibrulators, airways, casualty movement etc. etc. and often work alongside fully trained paramedics. Some of their staff with the time to do so are actually as trained as NHS ambulance staff

AxsMan, Just in case you missed it I put this in above.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
AxsMan, could it possibly be that you are everso slightly trolling now?! wink
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Megamum wrote:
Quote:

B.t.w. on a more serious note - I think St John Ambulance might have an issue with the above if that was specifically aimed at me. Their first aiders are more highly trained than average, we get training in medical gases, defibrulators, airways, casualty movement etc. etc. and often work alongside fully trained paramedics. Some of their staff with the time to do so are actually as trained as NHS ambulance staff.

Yes and too many 'volunteers' live for the day when they can put that training into practice on some poor sod whose passed out on the pavement.

I stand by my quote. I was dead serious. No defibs or gases available on the mountain, and no paramedic at your elbow, just breathing, bleeding and bones. wink
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hurtle, well maybe a tad. wink

But I worked in the emergency services for 10 years and well intentioned first aiders are more of a danger than a benefit. They have typically done a two day course three years ago and think they are on the set of ER.

The best action in MOST incidents is to do the least possible, stabilise and evacuate, whereas the gung-ho volunteer first aiders will be ripping off helmets, applying mouth to mouth and doing all sorts of unnecessary silliness that at best achieves nothing and at worst destabilises a fractured spine. I REALLY don't want someone 'snowploughing down the black run' to give me such treatment thanks.

megamum's scenario of her heroically traversing the of piste and majestically snowploughing down the black to save me, at great risk to herself despite my stubborn non weraing of a helmet was just too ridiculous for words.

Laughing
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Megamum wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

B.t.w. on a more serious note - I think St John Ambulance might have an issue with the above if that was specifically aimed at me. Their first aiders are more highly trained than average, we get training in medical gases, defibrulators, airways, casualty movement etc. etc. and often work alongside fully trained paramedics. Some of their staff with the time to do so are actually as trained as NHS ambulance staff

AxsMan, Just in case you missed it I put this in above.

didn't miss it. proves my point really.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
There seems to be a great passion to wear a helmet from skiers who have been wiped out on blue runs or by beginners. At least another thread has been started by one SH crashed into by two beginners and decided to wear a helmet.

Is it possible once a skier graduated from the green and blue slopes he/she might just find the collison danger could drop so much that such passion is inapplicable?

Red slopes normally have less piste users and the black runs have the least so the chance of a collison can be significantly lower.

In steeper and more difficult slopes skiers will have a higher skill and less likely to overestimate their ability to crash into other piste users.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
saikee, well put. I do know a number of advanced skiers who wear helmets but they are of the variety I mentioned in another thread ages ago - the type I suggest you not follow if you are a beginner/intermediate.
snow report
saikee, the wipe-out that finally provoked me into buying a helmet was on a steep, icy red. I don't think most red runs are less busy than blue ones nowadays (see my earlier remark about modern skis being easier and therefore engendering misplaced confidence) though I agree that black ones tend to be less busy.
snow conditions
Ok, radical concept I accept, but how about 'Those who want to wear helmets can and should, while those who don't, need not' ?

** No piste patrols were endangered in the making of this post ** wink
latest report
Quote:
seriously hurt and a helmet would have prevented it

The odds of a serious or fatal head injury in snowsports is thankfully low, the odds of a helmet making a difference in such a situation is also low. They could well save you a dose of concussion in a minor mishap, but from talking to people on lifts I can't help but feel there is a genuine issue with people far over estimating the worth of their lid. I have on several occasions had a similar conversation with a lidded skier on the Cas T-bar on CairnGorm that points to the fences, the rocks, the towers and for that matter the t-bar uptrack in the middle of the run and comment how can you ski this without a helmet? Are you off your head?

The idea of headbutting CairnGorm granite at 30mph, or losing an edge on a carve and hugging the Coire Cas T-bar might very well have people rushing to the shop to buy a lid - but under such a scenario it's going to make s.f.a difference!

As it happens I was knocked out cold on CairnGorm a few years ago when a binding came apart and the loose ski flipped me over the edge of the Traverse. My memory is sketchy but i do vividly recall in mid flight thinking "oh shite!! This is going to hurt!". Friends that were with me say I didn't hit my head, but i did slam the deck very hard. The impact forces resulted in most of me being sore and bruised, fairly bad concussion (though no obvious blow to head), very shaken up and whiplash. From the injuries and what friends saw it seems questionable that a lid would have made a difference. **

However it did not escape my mind that given where it happened and what i landed on (ice and rocks) that a less fortunate 'flight path' could have made that run being the last thing I did. In which case a lid would probably have made no difference.

As for other safety equipment, if teenage male boarders actually study the injury risks, perhaps they'd be reaching for wrist guards not lids! Laughing

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Mon 25-02-08 1:22; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Hurtle,

I avoid France and many resorts I visited in Italy, Switzerland and Austria are not crowdy at all. Also in Austria and Switzerland the red slopes dominate and there are only a small number of blue runs.

A red slope can get very busy if it is the toroughfare to get back to the bottom station.

flowa,

Experienced skiers doing offpiste would most likely wear a helmet and a rucksack with all the goodies inside. They do it to match the level of risks.

Children need helmets because their skulls are growing and delicate. They are also less capable of making the right decision for themselves against danger.

I haven't seen any SH not wearing helemt would say the act is safe. It is more to do with convenience, other reasons and matching the level of risks anticipated.

However the those who promote the wearing of it seem to think not wearing one is daft, crazy and mad. Very few of them seem to have long experience on skiing. I find this rather disturbing.

Although I don't wear one myself I would take it up when the risk level rises. I may not choose to put it one when I ski in a lonely Austria resort off the TO radar during off season but you will find me with a full-face lid if I decide to join a Snowheads Mid-term Bash held at Meribel Mottaret in the middle of Feb.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Mon 25-02-08 1:37; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Winterhighland, Agreed. Wrist guards for boarders (my teen daughter wears them) are top of the list, closely followed by back protectors for both skiers and boarders in terms of likely benefit. However back protectors are bulky and expensive so few wear them. Helmets are becoming 'cool' and can be relatively cheap. Isn't it funny how the world splits into those that support your freedom to choose and those who think the choice should be made for you?
snow report
saikee,
Quote:

you will me with a full-face lid if I decide to join a Snowheads Mid-term Bash held at Meribel Mottaret in the middle of Feb.

Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
** I was the second owner of the planks in question to have a bad(ish) mishap, the first owner earned several weeks in Raigmore Hospital (and neither a lid nor back protector would have made any odds). Their now looking for their third owner? Any takers? Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

*** No ski patrol were inconvenienced in this incident as I somehow managed to ski off the mountain, no recollection mind!
snow report
Winterhighland,

Good information and relavant although others may seize it as a discouragement to wear helmet and not appreciating your point is more to do with helmet is only "a" and not "the" safety provision.
latest report
saikee, 'the' safety provision is not to ski. after that some degree of risk is inevitable. As you say, a helmet mitigates that risk but does not remove it completely. If some of the more 'evangelical' proponent of helmets could just accept that, we could all go back to arguing about, er, actually what WOULD we argue about without the great helmet debate? Shocked Laughing
snow report
AxsMan,

Quote:
That's good to know. Except that half trained, inexperienced first aiders kill more casualties than they save.

Of course if I was unconscious (despite my helmet) and lying without an open airway halfway down a black run (that was suitably close to, and in sight and easy reach of the blue you were snowploughing down) I'd be damned grateful if you could just cruise on down to me, tweak my tongue out and give me a spot of cpr before the qualified and experienced piste patrol came along, far too late to save me.

Or then again, maybe I'll just take my chances

That would be my attitude too! Not that I am not grateful for someone risking his/her life to snowplough down a black run to save my life but from the limited lectures given by the paramedics, on motocylcing accidents, we were told never move the person because of the possible damage to the spine. Freeing the airway would be the wise thing to do though.
snow conditions
Quote:

However the those who promote the wearing of it seem to think not wearing one is daft, crazy and mad. Very few of them seem to have long experience on skiing. I find this rather disturbing.

There're those who "promote" the wearing of helmet by wearing one. They're not always the same crowd as those who "think not wearing one is daft, crazy and mad".

Though I can understand your frustration at the second point. Smile One can't help to have a certain reaction when being told by one's teenager kid on how to drive safely!
latest report
Lou wrote:
boredsurfin, I also have never seen a ski instructor (French or British) or piste patroller wearing a helmet.

Are things different elsewhere? Sounds like Canada is for one.

Quite and the guys I saw who climb the pylons to free stuck lift cables chairs etc don't wear helmets either.

In fact I did not see ANY resort worker on piste wearing a helmet last week despite it being the busiest week of the season.
ski holidays
flowa wrote:
Isn't anyone interested in how the statistics show that your chances of being involved in a collision are a fraction of 0% and that the 'trend' towards everyone wearing a helmet is potentially putting all skiers at higher risk of suffering an injury on collision due to damage caused by helmets themselves?

There are statistics to support whichever view you like. I read in a ski mag this month that 14,400 collisions were reported on French pistes alone last year. This compared with 2100 reported incidents hitting stationary objects like trees. The insurance companies were particularly concerned by the number of head injuries and broken bones resulting from such collisions. Most people who ski in France don't wear a helmet, so it's not clear how many of those head injuries may have been prevented by wearing a helmet.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
uktrailmonster, ....or how many were as a result of one or other party wearing a helmet (with or without mp3 player) and thus oblivious of the noise around them.
latest report
boredsurfin wrote:
uktrailmonster, ....or how many were as a result of one or other party wearing a helmet (with or without mp3 player) and thus oblivious of the noise around them.

Given that only a small percentage of skiers wear a helmet in France, virtually none I would guess.
latest report
flowa wrote:
Well, let's look at the numbers:
14,400 collisions reported last season in France
260,000 skiers transported on the 183 lifts in 3 Valleys PER HOUR
So, if all the accidents that were reported in France last season were by some bizarre twist of fate to have happened within 1 hour across JUST the 3 Valleys ski area, that would be a figure of 6% of injuries being caused by collision!

Yes, let's look at the numbers then. How can you state what percentage of accidents (not percentage of skiers like you seem to have calculated) are due to collisions when you don't even know the total number of accidents reported? The French report actually claimed that 20% of accidents were a direct result of collisions. It also stated that the collision injuries tended to be more serious than the single accidents. Your calculation above is a load of dangly bits.
snow report
7 pages of utter tosh...

wear a helmet, don't wear a helmet, the decision is yours and yours alone NO ONE on this site or any other has the right to preach to others about the situation using emotional blackmail etc etc

if i want to be preached to i will go to a church
ski holidays
boredsurfin wrote:
In fact I did not see ANY resort worker on piste wearing a helmet last week despite it being the busiest week of the season.

I saw a couple in Les Arcs earlier this season. Both were piste security (although I think one of them might have been riding a snowcat). I've also seen one Brit ski instructor occasionally wear a helmet - always a scary experience as I know what terrain will be skied that day Embarassed
ski holidays
CEM wrote:
7 pages of utter tosh...

wear a helmet, don't wear a helmet, the decision is yours and yours alone NO ONE on this site or any other has the right to preach to others about the situation using emotional blackmail etc etc

Spot on.
latest report
CEM,
Quote:

NO ONE on this site or any other has the right to preach to others

Oh my goodness, there was me thinking that the opportunity to preach was the main purpose of these sites! It surely can't just be to compare footbeds, digital cameras and the contents of one's day pack. Can it? wink

PS Spot on indeed!
snow conditions
rob@rar, I did specify on piste wink and they have to wear a helmet on a skidoo/snowcat by law. Toofy Grin

CEM, Ah! The voice of common sense and perhaps the silent majority.
ski holidays
rob@rar wrote:
CEM wrote:
7 pages of utter tosh...

Spot on.

Absolutely. And that's 7 pages on this thread alone, how many more on all the other 'great helmet debate' threads?
latest report
CEM wrote:
7 pages of utter tosh...

if i want to be preached to i will go to a church

I agree, but I think the point of these "debates" is to help a few people make that decision one way or the other. I don't feel that strongly about wearing a ski helmet, but the anti-helmet preachers get up my nose even more than the pro-helmet ones.
snow report
boredsurfin wrote:
rob@rar, I did specify on piste wink

Ah, didn't see that. I have seen an instructor wearing a helmet on piste, but that was skiing gates so perhaps not a typical activity, and it was only for the end of the week race when he skied at his own pace. If you're teaching I think the disadvantages of wearing a helmet outweigh the risk of not wearing one.
ski holidays
uktrailmonster, Being preached at (whatever the message) is the annoying thing. That and emotional blackmail bolstered by far fetched hypothetical dramas. CEM hit the nail on the head.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy