Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

'Safety Optional' --- Mad or What??

Poster: A snowHead
Megamum, your preaching and trying to apply the guilt treatment to FORCE people into wearing helmets. It's our choice, we're adults, we'll make our own minds up thank you very much.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
AxsMan, Well, the media does from time to time print the stories when mountain rescue teams go out to rescue people on the mountain that treked up wearing jeans and a T shirt and then get caught in dodgy conditions when if they had been dressed properly may have got back to base. Just as the RNLI is often called out in nasty weather to other unprepared souls, ditto most of the rescue services. Yes, they are there to rescue and not judge, but every time someone is sent into dodgy conditions for something that could be avoided it costs money and risks lives IMHO. If the wearing of a helmet avoids even one call out I can only see this as positive for the rescue teams involved. Esp. if it involves dispatching a helicopter - I'm given to understand by someone with a relative who flies one that helicopters and mountains are not necessarily a safe combination.

In support of the 'rescue not judge' issue I bet it is similar with doctors and nurses who should also treat and not judge. However, I bet medical practioners who see a case of lung cancer in someone who does 40 a day must surely think 'why do these people still smoke when they know the risks', or maybe see the person who has been chucked against the windscreen of a car who wasn't wearing a seatbelt because they didn't think it was worth the risk, who don't shake their heads and wonder about their perceived invincibility. I imagine they must also shake their heads when a ski head injury presents that could be avoided with a helmet whether it is ethical to do so or not - again it costs money and resources to treat and could be using resources that may be better spent treating injuries that are unavoidable.

At the end of the day everyone will still make their own choices and I think saying thou shalt will only make people rebel for the reason that choice is being eroded. I still think helmets are a good thing and if someone asks I'll tell them so, but although I've written some thoughts here on Snowheads from time to time I don't think I fall into the category of being a zealot over them. I try to balance my views with the reasons for them. If I see someone skiing without a helmet I'm not going to mention the fact to them at all, let alone say that I think they are wrong. At the end of the day the choice is down to them, their risk assessment, none of my business. Maybe a good idea would be for resorts to offer free loans of decent helmets for a day and then offer a discount if the client decides to buy after trying one out. At least that would give people a chance to see if they are as bad as they are expecting.

However, given the fact that this an emotive subject I think I will now don my skiing helmet and duck behind the nearest parapet!!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Megamum, I'm afraid that behind your elaborate show of apparent tolerance, I see nothing but conceited moralising.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Grimsby Ranger, I don't recall suggesting that you couldn't make up your own minds. No one can reasonably FORCE anyone to do anything - let alone me. If you're looking for a suggestion it is that I would rather that you didn't read into what people write something that isn't there, let alone accuse them of something that isn't intended.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
laundryman, Well, I guess you see what you want to see, but then we often don't see eye to eye. If you don't hold it against me I won't hold it against you snowHead
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Megamum, come off it, suggesting it's not fair on the emergency services and could put them at danger if someone hits their head, is not wearing a helmet and needs to be rescued; that's emotional blackmail in my book.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Megamum, If he holds it against you move slowly and quietly to another place at the bar Laughing Twisted Evil Laughing
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
laundryman wrote:
Megamum, I'm afraid that behind your elaborate show of apparent tolerance, I see nothing but conceited moralising.

You're just seeing what you want to see. People who smoke tend to feel the same way about moralising, although of course that is a far more stupid activity than skiing sans helmet!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Grimsby Ranger, As with laundryman, I can't do anything about how you see my comments, anymore than I can force you to wear a helmet Laughing Laughing

As folks round here will tell you I believe everyone is entitled to their own opinion and feel that everyone's arguments deserve to be considered.

UKtrailmonster Very Happy

Scarpa, Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing I thought I was supposed to be being protected against that sort of thing wink but, probably good idvice nonetheless
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I looked all week for a piste patroller, a ski instructor, a lift engineer or any other resort worker wearing a helmet. I saw none, except when riding a skidoo when a helmet is a legal requirment (but semingly not having to fasten it!)

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Sun 24-02-08 22:35; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The latest figures posted by uktrailmonster,
Quote:
latest copy of the Daily Mail Ski & Snowboard magazine, it seems that collisions on French pistes are in fact a very real threat. Apparently, on French pistes alone there were 14,400 collisions reported last season

Well, let's look at the numbers:
14,400 collisions reported last season in France
260,000 skiers transported on the 183 lifts in 3 Valleys PER HOUR
So, if all the accidents that were reported in France last season were by some bizarre twist of fate to have happened within 1 hour across JUST the 3 Valleys ski area, that would be a figure of 6% of injuries being caused by collision!

I don't know the number of skiers in France each season but let's extrapolate the above figure for one hour at 3 Valleys to ..... ummm? 4.6million (plucked from the air and probably an underestimate)
Now, let's run those numbers again....
14,400 collisions reported last season in France
4,600,000 skiers per season in France
Result? 0%

I now feel the need to reiterate the following point I made a couple of pages ago.
flowa wrote:
Somewhere in this thread the statistic quoted is that only 5% of injuries involve more than one skier. Therefore isn't wearing a helmet irresponsible as YOU are effectively turning yourself into the backseat passenger who doesn't wear a seatbelt; due to the damage you cause to another on impact?

Assuming that YOU ski responsibly and would only be in an accident that required a helmet due to YOUR own error, then you are entirely in charge of mitigating your risk by controlling the way YOU ski - whatever your level.

Surely this trend towards the majority of skiers wearing helmets is actually putting all skiers at greater risk of injury in the small number of incidents that actually involve more than one?

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Sun 24-02-08 22:37; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
oops - I decided to lower the figure from 6.3m to 4.6m (which had no affect on the 0% result but forgot to change the text. Apologies for any confusion there.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
boredsurfin wrote:
I looked all week for a piste patroller, a ski instructor, a lift engineer or any other resort worker wearing a helmet. I saw none, except when riding a skidoo when a helmet is a legal requirment (but semingly not having to fasten it!)

In France I'm guessing? People generally seem to have different ideas of risk assessment over in mainland Europe. for example moped riders in many European cities ride around quite happily with a deathwish. If you go to places like China, they take it to another level altogether. On the other hand ski helmets in Canada are considered the norm. So does that mean Canada is a more dangerous place to ski than France? I very much doubt it. There is no right answer, but wearing or not wearing a helmet just because others do or don't is just acting like a sheep.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Grimsby Ranger wrote:
Megamum, your preaching and trying to apply the guilt treatment to FORCE people into wearing helmets. It's our choice, we're adults, we'll make our own minds up thank you very much.

Perhaps you shuold consider reading what was actually written, and responding to that, rather than to what you wanted her to have written?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Sarge, You may be fond of another onel liner. I am probably you think is "anti helmet brigade", you could not be further from the truth. Mrs RH wears one and so do all of her friends. Not anti anything with helmets. It is those people that insist I SHOULD wear a helmet that I find irritating. Little irritatations can be solved with ointment I am led to believe! I do not drink excessivly nor do I take drugs and even if I were living in the UK the NHS would cover me and rightly so.

Wear a helmet if you like, ride a motorcycle if you like, have a few drinks if you like, eat steak tartare if you like! What I and others here are saying is make your own decision. People on this site have their own opinions, some we have heard have had accidents and a helmet saved them a cut/bruise/stiches/their life! Their experience is their experience. My experiences may be different to others and as valid.

I have more of a bee in my bonnet by drug fueled, alchohol affected skiers / boarders without a care for others on the piste than dictating to everyone on the mountain that they should wear a helmet or condom or anything else. Tell the world by all means of your life experiences, you may find that others may appreciate your acquired wisdom, many on the other hand may feel they have a more informed opinion on this or any other topic. Grimsby Ranger, and uktrailmonster, have experiences of life also so reading all the posts will give others a more balanced side to the debate, not just a chip on both shoulders!
ski holidays
Megamum wrote:
Grimsby Ranger, As with laundryman, I can't do anything about how you see my comments

Nobody asked you to.
snow report
laundryman wrote:
Megamum wrote:
Grimsby Ranger, As with laundryman, I can't do anything about how you see my comments

Nobody asked you to.

So what, exactly, did you think the point of your post was?
snow report
alex_heney, to give my interpretation of Megamum's previous comment.
snow report
Megamum wrote:
AxsMan, Well, the media does from time to time print the stories when mountain rescue teams go out to rescue people on the mountain that treked up wearing jeans and a T shirt and then... blah blah blah!

So what does that have to do with piste patrollers and the wearing or not of helmets?

Sorry Megamum but your emotional blackmail doesn't wash. Wearing or not wearing a helmet does not put any piste patroller at risk, so your point is BUNKUM. You are ProfessorFool and I claim my £5 Laughing
latest report
laundryman wrote:

neatly (and accurately) put. wink
ski holidays
If a person not competing but skiing/boarding among crowds on a groomed run feels there is nothing he/she can do, including moderating the speed, to make himdelf/herself safe but to wear a helmet then he/she is going too fast!

In a like manner if a skier/boarder is going at a speed that he/her is not aware of a collision and be able to make evasive action then he/she should slow down and not just put a lid on the head.

How do we know the people who ask us to wear a helmet are not from the above?
ski holidays
laundryman wrote:

But you did no such thing.

You just posted a personal insult, nothing more.

you didn't say anythuing at all about the content of what she had posted.
snow report
boredsurfin, I also have never seen a ski instructor (French or British) or piste patroller wearing a helmet.

Are things different elsewhere? Sounds like Canada is for one.
snow conditions
alex_heney, 'Nobody asked you to' is not a personal insult.
snow conditions
AxsMan wrote:
alex_heney, 'Nobody asked you to' is not a personal insult.

No, but "I'm afraid that behind your elaborate show of apparent tolerance, I see nothing but conceited moralising." is, IMO.

It wasn't the "nobody asked you to" post I was referring to when I asked what was the point of your post.

Sorry if that wasn't obvious Embarassed
ski holidays
saikee wrote:
If a person not competing but skiing/boarding among crowds on a groomed run feels there is nothing he/she can do, including moderating the speed, to make himdelf/herself safe but to wear a helmet then he/she is going too fast!

In a like manner if a skier/boarder is going at a speed that he/her is not aware of a collision and be able to make evasive action then he/she should slow down and not just put a lid on the head.

Sorry, but neither of those is remotely close to being true.

How fast you may be going has no relevance whatsoever to whether you are likley to be taken out by somebody else you didn't see or hear, whio is skiing out of control.

You can be at a standstill and be hit by such a skier.
snow report
Listen folks, the day I go for in for emotional blackmail it will come with a suitable health warning - OK?

Call the situation hypothetical if you wish, but I still believe that if you send someone out to rescue someone who has an injury that could have been avoided you endanger those sent and also cost someone somewhere cash and resources - the helicopter sent to retrieve an avoidable injury could therefore be unavailable for a more serious unavoidable incident.

Sorry, but its just how I was bought up, I was always taught the difference between right and wrong and that includes deference to services that are provided by the emergency services and similar folks. You try to avoid putting yourself in a situation which requires their assistance so they are free to do their jobs elsewhere.

So now you are going to say that I ski and it therefore invalidates my own argument. I think the fact that skiing is not the safest sport on the planet has to be accepted, however, we all like doing it, it ranks alongside driving a car, riding a bicycle, riding a horse, motorbike etc. as risky things we all decide to do. I think the emergency services probably accept it as such - if they are local it no doubt provides employment for someone in their family so they are probably pleased to see you on their mountain. However, in terms of managing the risk I think the addition of a helmet is a relatively small thing to do and could prevent an unnecessary call out. I also feel the same about horse riders that I see in hi-vis jackets - this is becoming more popular and I am always pleased as a motorist to see a rider wearing one - I think it shows a responsible outlook and it could avoid a nasty accident. However, as with the ski helmet issue you couldn't say though shalt wear a hi-vis jacket because we still believe in free speach and in the ability of each individual to make their own decision. As I've indicated above these are only my thoughts, I am as entitled to them as the rest of you are to your's.

Whether you wear a helmet or not makes no difference to me, until the day when I might find myself snowploughing an adjacent black run to save you from unconsciousness and possible suffocation on your own tongue because you've tumbled without a helmet and your head has struck a rock and I'm the one that saw you fall from my nearby blue run - don't worry I'll come though regardless of what anyone has said here 'cos I'm trained to do so. snowHead

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Mon 25-02-08 0:03; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
alex_heney wrote:
laundryman wrote:

But you did no such thing.

You just posted a personal insult, nothing more.

you didn't say anythuing at all about the content of what she had posted.

alex_heney, But laundryman, DID say something about the contents of her post. he said that it was an elaborate show of tolerance, but that he saw it to be conceited moralising. This probably was insulting, (you have to ask Megamum to be sure, maybe it was just perceptive wink , but it definitely did say something about the contents of her post.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Isn't anyone interested in how the statistics show that your chances of being involved in a collision are a fraction of 0% and that the 'trend' towards everyone wearing a helmet is potentially putting all skiers at higher risk of suffering an injury on collision due to damage caused by helmets themselves?
ski holidays
AxsMan, OK, since you're asking I found it quite insulting, but was trying not to rise to the bait wink OK, so that's that cat let out of the bag.
snow conditions
flowa wrote:
Isn't anyone interested in how the statistics show that your chances of being involved in a collision are a fraction of 0% and that the 'trend' towards everyone wearing a helmet is potentially putting all skiers at higher risk of suffering an injury on collision due to damage caused by helmets themselves?

[Pedant]You can't have a fraction of 0%[/pedant] rolling eyes

It is an interesting question whether a collision between two people where one is wearing a helmet and the other isn't is likely to lead to more injury than a similar collision where neither are wearing helmets.

Incidentally, I hink the chances of being involved in "a collision" are far higher than you suggest. It is only collisions involving ijnury that are reported - which I accept are generally the only ones relevant to this debate.
ski holidays
Megamum wrote:
Listen folks, the day I go for in for emotional blackmail it will come with a suitable health warning - OK?

Call the situation hypothetical if you wish, blah blah blah

Too late, already happened. Just because you aren't admitting it or giving us a big 'warning this is emotional blackmail' doesn't mean you haven't been caught doing it.

You have dredged up helicopter rescues, 'mountain rescue teams. foolish people climbing mountains in jeans and t-shirts when the subject matter was the wearing (or not) of helmets. Stop blowing smoke, you've been spotted. we are not riding horses, or motorbikes, we are not involving the emergency services. we are skiing. Some (like you and me) wearing helmets, others without. Each to their own - deal with it. wink

P.S. Even if I weren't wearing a helmet, I'd take my chances that you wouldn't need to snow plough down and rescue me from a dreaded black run (however 'trained' you are) OK ? Laughing
latest report
flowa wrote:

I suspect not. Some are interested in emotional hysteria involving emergency call outs of helicopters and swat teams combing the mountain for errant skiers who have thoughtlessly risked the lives of whole villages by er, not wearing a helmet. Shocked

Others are just finding it all very amusing Laughing
snow report
Megamum,

Quote:
I might find myself snowploughing an adjacent black run to save you from unconsciousness and possible suffocation on your own tongue because you've tumbled without a helmet and your head has struck a rock and I'm the one that saw you fall from my nearby blue run

Are you an early intermediate skier?

If you are may be your opinion on helmet is as good as you are hoping to go down a black run by snowploughing.

Snowploughing only works on gentle slopes and you have to ditch it on the red runs, let alone black runs. You also need loose snow to plough and many slopes may have little or locally none of such stuff.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Mon 25-02-08 0:16; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Quote:

Each to their own - deal with it.

As I said, I don't have a problem with each person wearing or not wearing what ever they like. I don't need to 'deal with it' - already done so when I was growing up. N.B. wink noted wink

I just thought I would add in my point of view as its an interesting debate, but preaching or moralising I am not, and don't intend to.
ski holidays
saikee wrote:
Megamum,

She has only skied blues up to now. snowHead

Quote:

Snowploughing only works on gentle slopes and you have to ditch it on the red runs, let alone black runs. You also need loose snow to plough and many slopes may have little or locally none of such stuff.

Snowploughing "works" on anything that isn't too icy.

It is very much more effort to make it work on steeper slopes, but I have certainly done it on occasion on fairly steep reds (I don't think I have ever tried it on a black though).
latest report
Megamum wrote:

Whether you wear a helmet or not makes no difference to me, until the day when I might find myself snowploughing an adjacent black run to save you from unconsciousness and possible suffocation on your own tongue because you've tumbled without a helmet and your head has struck a rock and I'm the one that saw you fall from my nearby blue run - don't worry I'll come though regardless of what anyone has said here 'cos I'm trained to do so. snowHead

Nope, no preaching moralising or emotional blackmail there. no sir, none whatsoever Laughing

BTW where were you trained in mountain rescue?
latest report
flowa,
Quote:

YOU are effectively turning yourself into the backseat passenger who doesn't wear a seatbelt; due to the damage you cause to another on impact?

I'm guessing here, but reckon that the only major damage that could conceivably be caused by a helmeted head is to another, non-helmeted head. Maybe even that is not certain, the impact from someone's skull is maybe not very much smaller than the impact from a helmeted skull. But in any event, I doubt that the number of head-to-head collisions is statistically significant. This seems like a non-point, but some evidence to shed light on your interesting proposition would be welcome.

boredsurfin, I recently saw a number of ski instructors wearing helmets in Switzerland (Davos/Klosters).

I cannot for the life of me see why people repeatedly get so heated about this. If/when helmets become compulsory, people will have to wear them. Till then, just let everybody - especially a bunch of people that you don't know from Adam, and with whom your only contact is on an internet forum - do what the hell they like. Equally, there's no harm in having one's own personal opinion, one way or the other, on what is advisable. I quite like my helmet, and feel a bit (but frankly not much) safer from potential collision damage in it. I would never try to persuade someone else to wear one. Having said that, before I bought one, a kindly Ski Club rep of my acquaintance did try, gently, to persuade me to do so: I didn't think ill of him for that, he plainly had my best interests at heart.

All very puzzling...
snow report
alex_heney wrote:
saikee wrote:
Megamum,

She has only skied blues up to now. snowHead

Quote:

Snowploughing "works" on anything that isn't too icy.

It is very much more effort to make it work on steeper slopes, but I have certainly done it on occasion on fairly steep reds (I don't think I have ever tried it on a black though).

Don't worry, if you ever have to, and you fall, strike your unprotected head on a rock and lie there, life slowly but surely seeping from your unconscious body, megamum and the rest of the (highly trained) Tracy family will be snowploughing down to save you, Thunderbirds are GO! Laughing
snow conditions
AxsMan, No mountain rescue, but I know enough to try to save the life of someone unconscious - volunteer member of St John Ambulance. If you, or anyone else were halfway down a black run and unconscious I'd scamble down somehow on skis or otherwise and do what I could for you, because without an open airway you'd never make it until the pro's turned up.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy