Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Insurance

Poster: A snowHead
homphomp,
Quote:

My worry is that, like all insurers, this is a get out clause so they don't have to pay out!
Ahhh. Dunno about accidentally falling into an unsafe offpiste area. It's unlikely to appear in any insurance policy, so it's worth confirming the position with the insurer.

AB Ski, D G Orf, ideally the policy would allow you, AFTER the accident, to obtain written confirmation from the resort that the area in which your acccident occured was within the "safe" area. I think an insurer who insists on daily pre-skiing confirmation is angling for a kick where it hurts from the insurance ombudsman....
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The off-piste warning is an interesting clause, I believe I've read somewhere that the majority of avalanches occur when the warnings are at level 3. People who wouldn't ski off-piste at level 4 therefore think it's OK and it's not. A bit off the subject but maybe davidof has some stats.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Wed 24-11-04 21:48; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
AB Ski wrote:
I got a phone call from InsureandGo this afternoon following up the enquiry I made yesterday - offering to answer any questions I still had and offer a discount if I bought today.

On the off-piste question I was told that to satisfy the underwritters it would be necessary to get written confirmation at the start of each day that the off-piste area I would ski in is safe.

Nedless to say I declined their offer.

My Insure & Go policy is up for renewal!! Next week! From what I read here I will be buying elsewhere Shocked
This off piste req. sounds very unreasonable. I would add, when i originally took out the policy Insure & Go told me that I had to take a mobile phone with me onto the slopes in case I was injured and then call the UK helpline to get approval for on slope recovery before being stretchered off the hill! Shocked So I do think it does depend on who you are dealing with at the co. and their understanding of skiing/boarding issues. That little glitch was soon dealt with by another member of staff!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Cool On the subject of ski theft, I checked my Direct travel policy, and it says that 'skis must be locked to secure racking IF AVAILABLE.' (MY CAPITALS), I have my renewal notice and I will be renewing it. I had to put in a claim for a camera in July, and they were excellent. They were initially recommended by a friend when we crossed the pond for the 1st time a couple of years ago . I know how finnicky he is about things like insurance etc, and asked him who he used, as I knew he would have spent hours researching the best value policy, and that it would include off-piste.. Saved me a lot of trawling.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Looks like Direct Travel are edgeing into the lead?Any other offers,or should we warn them to expand their call centre wink
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
What a relief....I'll be renewing my Direct Travel policy soon! The time it took to find someone who would cover us for more than a couple of weeks at a reasonable price in the first place...I couldn't face that again!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
What about skiing through a parking lot or along the road back to the hotel, is this also deemed off piste? Confused
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
From the policy documents:
Direct travel wrote:

"Get confirmation of the delay from the authority who went to the accident or breakdown (if this applies) affecting the vehicle you were travelling in."

"up to £300 in total for hired ski equipment"
"£200 for any single article, pair or set of any kind,"

ski equipment must be:
"locked to secure racking when available during the day only"

Snowcard wrote:

"if your missed departure was caused by an accident not involving the car you were travlling in, you must obtain written confirmation from the police that the accident resulter in traffic delays to your aiport, port or station"

"the total limit for hired equipment which is lost stolen or damaged is £500"
"there is a limit of £500 for any one item, pair or set"

in the snow equipment exclusions, it says you're not covered for:
"loss or theft ... not carrying with you... " and then goes on "(this exclusion does not apply to skis left unattended during the day time for the purposes of obtaining refreshments)"

1. I was held up in a tailback when another vehicle broke down so I like that Snowcard are explicit about other traffic jam stuff - does 'affecting' mean 'directly affecting' - it does with most policies.
2. Now, I'm hiring good skis with bindings - easily worth over £300. (oh, and in Whistler the shop policy is against damage only - not theft as it was for us in France - so you may need this)
3. Frankly, the way in which they allow leaving skis outside restaraunts shows that they know what skiers need Smile

And they cover all "off piste" for skiers but snowboarding off-piste needs the next 'risk level' up (because they've "experienced a significant increase in off-piste snowboarding accidents" - surprise!)
They say "We do not exclude off pist skiing. If you occasionally wander off piste or if you are skiing on marked resort off piste runs then you need not worry".
They do caveat it with "unless an area is closed due to avalanche danger" - which seems OK Smile

So at the moment - Snowcard Smile

I'd still like to hear from anyone who's claimed though...

HTH
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
snowman wrote:
What about skiing through a parking lot

Have you been watching 'extreme sports' again wink

On a serious note Confused Andorra(El Tarter)people coming off end of piste by lift station;and skiing down access ramp(admit it,we all do it??)Just around the corner,out of sight,the snow ended abruptly where the pavement had been cleared Shocked Saw loads crash here;inc one spectacular pile up involving a junior ski school group + various others.Must have been upwards of 30 involved Embarassed Risk of breaking something,high!!Try explaining that to your insurance assessor Puzzled Think you would find they would invoke the all covering 'take reasonable care' rule Sad
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
snowman, What about over the top of parked cars as happened in Val T after a mega dump in the eighties no one realised there were cars underneath until they started to dig them out
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
My mum just got an offer from egg for annual family insurance for £20 altogether including winter sports cover! Nice one mum! - clearly she's been giving the credit card a beating lately and she's one of their fave customers cos I havent been offered it!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
this is off-off-piste skiing..

extreme skiing

which policy will cover this? snowHead
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Nadenoodlee

Mum must have given that card a hell of a beating Shocked Think this offer has already been mentioned above?However,on the simple principle that nothings free(and £20 nearly is!)I would check the policy detail thoroughly.Might be cheap,but not much use if you're scrambled and not covered wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snowman, Does the policy cover rust damage to boot clips?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hmmm....unlimited trips worldwide for two people:

Direct Travel - £100 ish (haven't had my renewal quote yet!)
Snowcard - £430 Shocked

Mind you I found the Snowcard online quote system a bit difficult to negotiate so maybe that's wrong? I think I'm going to stick with DT though.
latest report
Reply from Direct-Travel concerning off-piste

"If you were to make a claim involving off piste
skiing or snow boarding, our claims department would obtain confirmation
from the local authorities as to whether this was a safe place for you to
ski.

In most cases if the area is not safe there will be warnings posted telling
you not to ski, or if there is a treat of avalanche. If you have any doubts
at all about the safety of the area in which you wish to ski or snow board,
we would advise that you did not do so in that area."

This still seems to be an all encompasing get get out clause. I can think of occassions where venturing off piste means skiing past a warning sign or under a rope (e.g. to encourage the masses to turn left instead of right at the top of a lift). Also what would be the position if there was say a level 3 avalanche warning.
snow report
snowskisnow, its their standard annual travel policy that Laundryman bought, full price. My mums checked it out- and its great. WE dont go off piste so no need for extras!

Well done mum!! - she's paying for my ski trip and the insurance aswell!! just need to wangle some boots out of her!
snow conditions
homphomp, £100 for an annual policy for 2 people that lets you ski as many days as you like? err, WOW - bite their hand off. Shocked

You got me wondering how much Snowcard cost so I had a look and found that they do charge £340 for that.
or £237 for unlimited skiing holidays from Nov-May for 2 people
or £190 for 2 people/unlimited holidays, 3 weeks skiing.
(All the above are worldwide)

But more realistic is probably £126 for 2 weeks skiing, with unlimited European/mediteranean travel the rest of the year for 2 people. Very Happy

I like that you can tailor the policy to your needs too.
ski holidays
I have looked at my SCGB (ie Primary) policy and it does not make any conditions in relation to off-piste, though you have to pay extra if you race.
Also, NickW, you do not have to lock your skis at on piste restaurants etc., but it is sufficient to split your skis with someone else.
Perhaps this is partly why it is expensive.

A Standard policy covers 17 days/year, Super covers 21 and Executive is unlimited, though no single trip may excede 31 days.
snow report
Hi all
I spoke to Direct Travel yesterday and was assured that I would be insured off piste unless I skied in an area closed for safety reasons by the resort management. Was advised that I did not need to get written notification in advance of that day's off piste skiing. Was also advised that off piste within a resort boundary is covered unless that area was closed off by the resort. This was for European cover - US cover is slightly different in that you need a guide outside of the resort boundary (I think) £73 for a year for 2. snowHead
snow report
Does"closed off" mean there is a notice prohibiting skiing, or just poles and tape accross the route and, perhaps a notice saying "Danger" (which is quite normal accross off-piste areas most of the time and just means "At your own risk, we have warned you")
ski holidays
snowball wrote:
Does"closed off" mean there is a notice prohibiting skiing, or just poles and tape accross the route and, perhaps a notice saying "Danger" (which is quite normal accross off-piste areas most of the time and just means "At your own risk, we have warned you")

Hi
I understood their conditions to mean no cover for skiing on closed areas or going skiing against resort management advice because of avalanche risk. I understood a "Danger " notice would be placed to avoid litigation against the resort. For my standard of skiing I can satisfy my thrills req. at the "lower" end of off piste, so this policy may suit me. The skiers who have ordered the areas "closed " are all better than me so I am happy to accept their judgement (okay I may be misguided here Little Angel ). Only time will tell if the Direct Travel Policy merits it's high snowheads rating. Ask me this time next year snowHead
ski holidays
This does not answer my question of what constitutes (in terms of what the skiers might find on the slope to warn them) a "closed" off-piste area. ( I have seen "closed" piste signs. ). Unless you mean a tape accross and "Danger" sign IS the sign for Closed. In which case you could hardly ski off-piste at all, since many of these are permanent in my experience, (these are usually where going straight on from the top of a lift takes you off-piste) and I pass them almost every day (usually with a guide).
snow conditions
snowball-know where you're coming from.Have experienced the closed/danger signs a few times.Is it closed because its dangerous;or marked dangerous because its out for normal recreational skiers(off piste)Time to invoke the common sense rule;ask!!In my experience,and surely many others,its sometimes obvious?The run has been closed off because of a slippage/rocks/tree fall etc.Many of the danger signs I've seen are just that;warning of danger.A quick look at the piste map will reveal them to be off the pisted area.Does anyone seriously consider an off piste day without planning?Only those with a death wish IMHO Skullie If in doubt,I will always ask;guides,instructors,ESF,ski patrol,even the lifties.These people are on the ground,they know whats happening

There is a danger in seeking an absolute,definitive answer to the off piste question.By its very nature its a changing situation.And insurance,by and large,deals in certainties.This leaves you with a doubt,yes?? Personally,I see nothing onerous in Direct Travels clause.As long as the area is open(as determined by the resort)you can ski it.This brings the presumption that you would check beforehand.And as I'm sure you do,where's the problem?
snow report
But unless you goto the tourist office and ask each day (and would anyone really do that?) how could you get a definitive answer. I don't think they ever operate like that with regards to off-piste: they just tell you there is a danger and perhaps even the degree of danger (and when is there not some danger, it's a matter of degree). If you ask, they will never tell you somewhere is safe to ski, though they are usually happy to tell you about danger spots in some detail if you ask the guides' office, and obviously generalised dangers of the moment.
Only pistes come with some resort guarantee of safety and thus sometimes get a Closed sign, while the off-piste next to it is left to your discretion, even though it may be more dangerous.
My concern was that the insurance company would take the Danger signs (which are there to protect the resort at places that piste skiers might be tempted to stray onto far off-piste areas) as equivalent to a Closed sign (which I cannot remember seeing, though my memory may be at fault).
The steepest off-piste often has no danger sign since it would not tempt the casual skier to stray.
snow conditions
snowbunny I hope you got that definition in writing. It won't mean a thing to get it over the phone if they then decided not to pay up. Most contract's have a clause saying that no verbally agreed changes are allowed. You should also get them to define what *they* mean by "closed off". Though if you're planning on staying outside those sorts of areas, then it'll probably be fine.
ski holidays
More on Skiing Insurance from Sophie Butler of the Telegraph newspaper. The 'hard copy' article had a useful table of comparisons between several companies but that has unfortunately not made it to the on-line version.
snow report
hannah29, welcome to snowHeads. It's nice to know the prices of some things go down!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks everyone for the comments in this thread, thanks to which I've taken out annual insurance with Direct Travel Very Happy

And welcome to snowHeads hannah29 snowHead
snow conditions
I have just checked the terms of my annual policy with Columbus Direct with winter sports cover. This does not draw any distinction between on or off piste. All forms of skiing and all forms of winter sports are covered except:
Quote:

ski jumping, ski flying, heli-skiing outside Europe, ski acrobatics, ski stunting, freestyle skiing, ski racing and training, ski bob racing, parapenting, ice hockey, mountaineering (except incidental to skiing) and the use of skeletons and bobsleighs.

seems pretty good to me and avoids any worries about doing the "wrong kind" of off-piste.
ski holidays
Just to add to the complications.... Does anyone have any ideas which company have the best terms for cancellation. I am about to renew the annual travel insurance, and my father in law has recently diclocated his hip. He is ok for now and not definitely going to need an operation, but if he dislocates again then it would be new hip replacment time and possible cancellation of family ski-ing at Easter. Different compnaies deal with this in different ways.. anyone got any ideas
snow report
chrisb-not what you want to hear;but this sounds like a 'pre-existing' medical thingy.If you 'know' that there is a risk of further dislocation,it sounds like the sort of thing that insurers would expect to be told about before they 'risk' insuring you?I'm no expert in this,but I would imagine that if your FIL has ever been advised to 'take it easy' or 'avoid strenuous activity' then that may be enough to scupper any claim.You need professional advise.Is there a Doctor in the house wink

Sorry about the above but better safe than sorry.And welcome to snowHeads snowHead
snow conditions
I would agreen that you should verify this with an Insurance company and if they will insure him, get it in writing. Sounds like a very 'good get-out clause' in the making.

I use Fogg as a top-up to my annual multi-trip which I get from my company. They insure off-piste and heli-ski as standard as long as you don't jump out of the helicopter.......!!!!!

I don't know how they are beyond that, just that the offices seem to know what they are selling.
snow report
chrisb, I'm afraid that I agree with snowskisnow. Makes one wonder how far one should go, though. Many snowheads will have elderly, infirm relatives, for example. Logic says they are at greater risk of not being with us for much longer than the fitter, snowhead-like, community. Should they be declared? If so, the medical screening lines will be very busy. And snowheads quite possibly will not know precise medical details unless they intrusively ask precise details from said elderly relatives - who would be mortified if they learnt the enquiries were due to their potential imminent demise.
latest report
JT, I considered Fogg for my annual policy, but when I looked at the small print it seemed that off piste cover was only valid if there were more than 2 persons skiing together. Is your policy the same?
latest report
snowbunny,

I'll have to check that out but I don't recall that. Aside from not wanting to ski off-piste alone by choice I can understand the insurance company being nervous about this but not to the extent of invalidating the policy..!!

I have used the multi-trip with '17 days ski' option and also just the medical and off-piste upgrades on my company multi-trip which I use for personal loss etc. I will dig the policy out and check and get back to you. I find them quite forthcoming on the phone so I would be surprised at that. After all, they did say that off-piste was not defined by using a guide which is not the norm with insurance companies.

Also, have you read about carte niege ?
I googled it this morning and found that it probably isn't for UK based or non-french speaking people on account that if you ever have to use it, you need to deal with Paris etc and it would be so frustrating for Brits to say the least.
snow report
JT, Just looked at the Fogg website, can't see the relevant bit now, perhaps I am going mad-or they have updated it! Did not mean to alarm you. Blush Based on what I had read I had discounted the Fogg policy (as there are only 2 of us).
I considered Carte Neige, but my Franglais is not up to the job. My feeling is that all insurers are umbrella salesmen. I was with Snowcard for some years before discovering that 1. On an annual policy my first days skiing would be spent driving to Dover/Gatwick etc, since skicover begins as you leave home (and not be a day spent on skis) and 2. Snowcard wanted to put my annual policy up to £140 (2 weeks ski) as I wanted to hire a kayak from the beach pedalo man on my summer hols. Shocked
ski holidays
It was mentioned earlier as to how the insurance company knows your number of ski days...... if someone on their second holiday were to ski beyond their 17 days and have an accident..... what is to stop them saying "well I only skied one week of the two on the first holiday, so Im within my 17 days...."?

And an additional question..... if you know you are going beyond your 17 days, you obviously will need a new policy..... but surely then you are going to have 2 policies active (admittedly one would only cover your travel), isnt that against the rules?

Ad
latest report
To add a bit more, I have been checking the direct travel policy..... it looks very solid. Maybe I missed discussion earlier in the thread, but the snowsport stipulation is

"no more than 17 days ON ANY ONE TRIP"

This implies that even if you had half a dozen trips, as long as no one exceeds 17 days, you would still be covered even if your total number of days is in excess of 17...... is my reading of this correct?

Ad

PS. Having reread..... it has been mentioned Embarassed
latest report
May be of interest to some. Basically i've just looked at getting new contents & bulidings insurance, decided to have a look at EGG (as a card holder you get even more discounts!) and the quote was fantastic beating everyone by £200+ and for decent cover as well, but added into that you also get a years free travel insurance included, with winter sports up to 17 days. The cover looks pretty good as well.

Worth a look if you're an EGG customer (or intend to be Wink ) and insurance premiums are up for renewal!! snowHead
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy