Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Please, please, please Wear a helmet . . .

Poster: A snowHead
riverman wrote:
uktrailmonster, My Lidl ski helmet meets all current European standards. It is cheap because it comes from Lidl and is not a premier make and I dont think the vent system may be as good as more exspensive helmets

With mountain bike helmets, many of the top range models exceed the minimum standards by a long way. But they're usually more comfortable and lighter than the cheaper models and have better venting etc. Obviously you pay for branding and cosmetics too, but I've always considered helmets as a no-expense spared sort of purchase! I assume the same applies to ski helmets, but I only have limited experience of these.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
just back from a cracking week in st anton where we both wore our brand new GIRO G10's. cracking helmets - really comfy (with the exception of one of the arms of my sunglasses rubbing my right ear but suspect i can sort this out with a little adjustment as the G10 has lots of adjusters on it). sideline benefits - really snug and warm at the top of a windy lift, really warm and dry in the very wet snow we got on one day, really easy to adjust the vent system whilst skiing - ie set off on a shush and find you have left the vents open - no problem simply close them !! + no cold air blasting though your hat when you do a fast bit of skiing. all in all a big hit. if your head fits them then buy one - they are great !!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Guess what I just got!

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=35258&highlight=
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
That crash in Kitzbuhel should keep the helmet doubters quiet for a while. Anyone reckon his helmet didn't help in that situation? Also makes the argument about helmets not being any use in a high speed crash look a bit lame too. It's not all about hitting trees head-on.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
uktrailmonster, yes, if ever I decide to take a massive jump at 75mph, I'll be sure to wear one! Laughing
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
After having a few falls in the park last week I went out and bought a helmet too. At the end of the day it's your head and your problem though. Personally I quite like the way I am currently, sans brain damage, so I decided it'd be a good idea to wear a helmet.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
mark_s, Sounds a good move to me, welcome to the helmet wearers group!! My cheap one will do for the time being, it too meets the EC standards maybe when I can ski better I treat myself to a more expensive one.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Megamum, one would have thought that if you could ski better you would be less at risk of falling over and beaning yourself.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Lizzard, Ah, yes I see the logic, why wait 'till I can ski before buying a good one, I'm probably at most risk now. The thing is I'm only falling over at slow speeds now and therefore less likely to do really harm as I go down - maybe I think that when I can ski I'll go faster and therefore need better protection, also I might be on steeper slopes with other people also going faster. Is one high speed crash more dangerous than ten low speed crashes - I don't categorically know, but I suspect it might be - I think that's where the idea of the better helmet comes from, but your observation had made me think.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Mon 28-01-08 21:16; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Megamum, at risk of getting flamed by all and sundry, I suggest that it's a fashion item.

And before anyone wastes their time getting apoplectic over that one, I should point out that I'm about to go to bed and won't read any of it.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

I suggest that it's a fashion item

Lizzard, Laughing Laughing Definitely not mine Laughing Laughing - purely a functional article mine is - wouldn't have one if it wasn't for the fact it was cheap, and I wanted to set an example to the children - it's not the one I'd have bought out of choice given sufficient funds - it has a rather odd pudding basin shape to the outside. Maybe it is the case for other folks though!!

What about yours - I'm sure I read on another thread that you wore one, IIRC particularly when using your snowboard, is yours functional, fashionable or both!?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Lizzard when you say "I suggest that it's a fashion item" do you mean like those ever so fashionable seatbelt things in cars as well?

I don't have a ski helmet and to be honest if I do get one I will buy the most fashionable one I can afford, to go with all my other gear that I don't use as much as I should, however, a helmet does have some safety value and I doubt, in the future, that people will ski without one.
When I see someone on a mountain bike without a helmet, these days, I can safely assume that they really don't know what they're doing and that they have a greater risk of injury.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Reading this thread has convinced me to get a helmet for my next trip in three weeks.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Lizzard, do helmets come to fit Trolls? wink
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Sometimes I wear a helmet, sometimes I don't. Am I despised equally by both camps?
latest report
In my opinion it's a free choice. The only time I've worn a helmet before last Friday was when a ski instructor made us wear them in order to do some skiercross (a sensible decision!). It was only after having a few falls after some experimentation in the park that I decided that I really needed a helmet to be safe doing what I was doing. I've never worn a helmet skiing around on-piste before and if I didn't do stuff in the park I most likely never would.

Having said that, I seen some crazy French kids in the park last week doing insane stuff off the black jumps in the Apocalypse Park in Les Arcs, and they weren't wearing helmets Shocked
snow report
rob@rar only when you are on blades.... Toofy Grin

Coat quickly please....
latest report
stoatsbrother, Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
Quote:

When I see someone on a mountain bike without a helmet, these days, I can safely assume that they really don't know what they're doing and that they have a greater risk of injury.

In mountain biking, the "injury" that happen very often and can be mitigated by helmet are, being wagged by branches!

Also in the downhill mountain biking circle, not using body armor is often considered "really don't know what they're doing". Very Happy But that concept has not penetrated to the skiing population YET.
ski holidays
If you ski with children and you want them to wear one then it's hypocritical not to wear one yourself. If you get a preventable brain injury for lack of a helmet your children suffer as a consequence!!!
snow conditions
rob@rar wrote:
Sometimes I wear a helmet, sometimes I don't. Am I despised equally by both camps?

What makes you think helmet-wearing makes a difference? wink

( Truly apologetic for that cheap, nasty joke at your expense ,,,, but wrote it anyways) snowHead
snow report
rob@rar, Do you wear only wear it in what you feel are dangerous situations, if so does this imply going fast (as you do when you get better at skiing)?, just collecting evidence here..................
snow conditions
Agenterre, oh, how my sides ache.

Wink
snow conditions
B.t.w. I quite liked the Lidls ones, much better shape than my own one - I quite liked the rounded but boxy profile to them. Wished then I'd seen those ones first.
latest report
Megamum, always if I'm going to be skiing deep snow (I spend a lot of time falling head first into the snow), always if I'm skiing steep (for me) terrain, always if skiing gates. Never if teaching/shadowing, never if skiing gently with my girlfriend. Sometimes if free skiing where I might have a bit of a blast on piste, just depending on what mood I'm in/what the weather is like/how busy the pistes are, etc.

Always if skiing with blades, but normally hooked onto my elbow with the chin strap à la Italian scooter riders.
snow report
Megamum wrote:
I quite liked the rounded but boxy profile to them.

Do you have a rounded but boxy profile head? Wink Isn't it the inside shape that's most important with a helmet, not the outside shape?
snow conditions
rob@rar, Ah, well that all depends on whether you want them to double as a fashion item doesn't it wink I like the idea that you can ski that well you always arrange to fall with that elbow landing first wink
latest report
Quote:

I think people can make up their own minds on this debate. I only object to non helmet wearers who actively discourage others from choosing to wear one. But fortunately they are a very small minority.

I, only object to helmet wearers who actively discourage others from making up their own mind. (calling others as "idiot", "irresponsible", for example)

But unfortunately, they're NOT a small minority.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Mon 28-01-08 23:51; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
abc, isn't it nice to have someone concerned for your safety then? I wouldn't ever ram my thoughts on helmet wearing down anyones throat - I just wear one because I want to. You suggest that you feel all those concerned for someones wellbeing are idiots and irresponsible. That seems a little mean spirited.
snow conditions
Quote:

You suggest that you feel all those concerned for someones wellbeing are idiots and irresponsible. That seems a little mean spirited.

Megamum, I'm not suggesting they ARE the idiots and irresponsible. I was merely quoting the language some of those "concerned" helmet wearers used to describe non-helmet wearers.

Would you now feel those people are a little mean spirited?
snow report
abc, It's all in the reading isn't it ? snowHead OK, I see now the intent of what you put. It's wrong to call someone names and I'm sorry I suggested you were mean spirited, I read your words wrongly, and similarly you shouldn't be called names for not wearing a helmet, if that's your choice. Such thoughts should be kept private, but I'm sure even those voicing them probably only have your best interests at heart.
ski holidays
Megamum, I do wear a helmet. It's my choice. And I have MY reasons, which doesn't neccessairly coincide with why others choose to wear one. Nevertheless, it's MY decision.

If someone hadn't made up their mind about helmet, I would offer my reason for my choice, as a way of helping them to make a informed decision (biased as it may be). But if someone had already made a decision NOT to wear one, it takes an idiot to call others idiot just because they have a different view point.
snow conditions
abc, I think we're both singing from the same hymn book, just maybe different pages wink I have often said that everyone is entitled to their own view point, and that we should all respect anothers decision and their reasons for making it. That said I am pleased to note that you have chosen to wear one (maybe I missed that earlier) - I personally think it is a safer decision than not wearing one. I too would encourage their use, but not to the point of name calling snowHead
snow conditions
Lizzard wrote:
Megamum, at risk of getting flamed by all and sundry, I suggest that it's a fashion item.

What's wrong with Bigfoot blades and jester hats, eh? That not cool enough any more?
ski holidays
May have been mentioned above but it's late and I've only just finished work and...ahem, anyway, thought I'd mention that a badly fitted helmet will probably offer little protection in the event of a hard impact as wearing none at all. Any gaps in the wrong places and the head could be subjected to severe shock impacts as the head rebounds inside the helmet. Nice. Too tight and you end up with a very expensive mistake: a bit like my carbon-fibre-no-diggity-fitted-in-the-shop-great lid. After 3 hours on my first day in Fernie it gave me a splitting headache and cut the circulation off to the whole of my scalp. Not what you want on a waist deep powder day at -12. Still, the Giro Fuse (don't think you can get them in the UK...) I bought as a replacement is excellent Toofy Grin

BTW, all credit to S&R for organising a speedy refund with the manufacturers...
ski holidays
Megamum wrote:
I personally think it is a safer decision than not wearing one. I too would encourage their use, but not to the point of name calling snowHead

All due respect to your decision. However, I think your reasoning is illuminating. Safety is the only factor you mention. I think that is the thing for the health and safety lobby in general and helmet advocates in particular: safety, for them, is a trump card; the two of safety beats the ace of anything else. That's all very well for their personal decisions, but it's incredibly tiresome for those wanting to play by a variation of the rules to have others insisting that they're stupid or advocating that their games be banned.
latest report
On my last trip i decided to leave the helmet at home becasue it would not fit in my bag. On the first run a boarder came flying out of the trees on to the piste at sort of head height and i just managed to turn away to avoid a mid air crash, resulting in a 'on the ground' collision instead. No harm done.

On one of my last runs of the holiday on a chopped up very busy narrowish 'back to resort' piste (in April type conditions) everyone was skiing too fast for their ability/conditions, a skier lost control and rather than just taking to fall decided to do a 'Bode Miller' type recovery which included cartwheeling across the piste, eventually falling about what seemed to be one meter right in front of me, looking up at me and sort of presenting his face to the front of my board whilst trying to get up in the same falling motion ...... now luckily for him I managed swerve and avoid him, that is apart from giving him a slight clip with my hip as I boarded by.

The point i would like to make is that no matter how good a skier you are, you are just as likely to get smashed on the head by someone else snowHead but whether a helmet will save you in this circumstance is another matter
ski holidays
rob@rar wrote:
Always if skiing with blades, but normally hooked onto my elbow with the chin strap à la Italian scooter riders.

Well done! Special award for use of a helmet to be at greater risk than having no helmet at all.

Italian scooter rider's favourite injury: head injury from impact with car/tarmac, plus double break to left arm - above and below elbow - from impact with edges of the crash helmet.
snow report
Last year on the eosb I was skiing on a blue run a bit too fast at the end of the day, the snow was really chewed up, I caught an edge and that was it, I got lauched into the air, flew backwards, landed on the back of my head followed by the rest of my body, gear everywhere, seeing stars and vision all black round the edges, really dizzy and banging headache. I wasn't wearing a helmet either, but that made me wear one, I feel twice more in that week and was glad I was wearing a helmet. I wore my skateboard one for a while, very lightweight etc but not warm, I now have a Lidl ski helmet that fits great. In my opimion wearing a helmet is no longer uncool, it's the norm, and they have some ones with really cool graphics too. So people should have no excuse!
latest report
crazy_skier_jules, I don't need an excuse. Life isn't school, though it's beginning to feel like it.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy