Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les 2 Alpes - Winter 2007/8

Poster: A snowHead
Bridgit Jones, You're thinking of Serre Palas followed by Mura onto Jandri to 2,600. From there under the tunnel and the Goulet du Grand Nord to the Cretes. The (as you put it) horrible green run is closed. If you get here in time, why don't you just mess around in the village? Plenty of skiing down here and cheaper lift pass for the half day. Very Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
easiski,

Thanks, that is exactly what I meant!

I may well play down in the village, however I am so starved of sun, that if it is dull down below, then I may well head up top to breathe in some sunshine!

Having said that, it's been nice here yesterday and today, I've just been too busy to enjoy!

wink
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Clear this morning. Very Happy
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
It was a super day today. sunny, chilly inthe morning but warming up later, powder to about bott/knee height ...... well, what else is there to say. To be fair you could still feel the harder snow underneath on the Grand pente, but that was because the powder was so light. Very Happy Very Happy colin B and his daughter skied twice in top of Thuit and then the GP when they'd never done anything like that before - WELL DONE. Nursery slopes were very soggy though by 15.00. They were fine at 13.00 though - just very warm. Actually it's still light and warm outside but I've drawn the curtains because it ought to be dark and cold!! Laughing Laughing

Pic looking up at Grand Pente - notice how much more snow there is than the pix a couple of pages ago. Very Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
easiski, Have just renewed lift passes online and ski rack is now attached to car, hope weather stays like this Cool Very Happy .

Mo will be welding your gate post tomorrow, see you on Sunday possibly if you are not too busy??
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi easiski, a really nice end of season, sunny, empty slopes, and powder!!!

Next week we're starting to plan a mini-trip, about 5 days, to visit your amazing area. I think that all the area above 2000 will be in the best moment of the season, so all the offpiste possibilities will be ok...but some questions.... The weather forecasts say sunny but cold the rest of the week, so not much fusion..and then for the next week (too long to be sure, but better than nothing) they say a nice dump at low levels....

The question is about LG, jeje......With the amount of the snow that you already have, and the expected forecast do you think that will remain skiable until town??? And it also means that the Freaux, Girose, Chirouze, etc etc will remain in excellent conditions... Surely, if we ski down to P1, and in L2A chalance, rachas, fee, etc etc are ok it's worth the trip... and for 4-5days it's a nice options for us...

PD. Then we plan another trip of 4-5days on the 1st may (is a day off in spain) but surely we'll go to l'espace killy or chamonix.....Nice season...
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
R32, No - not too busy, I'll be very happy to see you, and thanks to Mo for the gate, but he really shouldn't bust a gut for it!

AlTom, I don't think you can ski to the bottom now - only P1 or else it's very broken. This weekend is the Derby, so my idea of going with Colin B and his daughter is out - too many peeps tearing down the mountain for it to be an enjoyable trip! I know Graham N did Freux recently ... So much snow though that avalanche danger aside almost everything is skiable. It's a long time since I saw tracks coming out of our Couloir Electic but this year it seems to have been well skied. Diversoire is very full etc. etc. Everywhere you look! Of course if it's warm for the next couple of weeks it could all have avalanched - hope not.

Today was grey and windy and generally fairly grizzly, but not very cold. Snow and pisting on Toura, Grand Nord and Bellecombe were fb this morning, but on Cretes the flat bits that had got slushy yesterday were quite crispy. The other bits were fine though. I skied down the (closed) Diable at about 13.00 and it was OK, much preferable to the Valentin. I thought that would be very hard. I don't mind but the other idiots scare me stupid!

Soprry, no pic today - I forgot again, will try to do better tomorrow.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ok, easiski, It sounds very good, so it's worth. We're thinking in some days between 10-17th, but not decided when exactly.... for sure we will wait that the derby crowds leave off. rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes Then the paradise will be for ours Laughing Laughing Laughing I'm sure that the higher parts are in the best moment of the season, so maybe and attempt to pan de riddeau or why not enferotches......we will see.....
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
AlTom, Cool Let me know when you've made your arrangements. Very Happy

today started off really horrid, with totally flat light and very high winds at the top of the Toura. It couldn't have been more different to yesterday if it tried. However, having beaten a hasty retreat from Toura we set off down Gours to get the shelter, and hey presto the sun came out. It's stayed out all day although the wind has been fierce at times. Worked out OK int he end. We went up the Fee lift and skied a mix of Fee and Aymes. The snow was good except for that nasty little traverse bit on the Fee where it was quite hard. Cretes was fine late morning both big and little, and the Valentin was also fine ( Shocked Shocked ) when I skied down at about 13.00. However ........... the slopes down inthe town were really slushy with very heavy, wet slush - the sort that's difficult to skie without a bit of speed. Although it didn't seem all that warm with the wind, my themometer chez moi says 20 degs at 18.00 ... The temps are obviously having an effect on the lower slopes. Having said that, there's plenty of snow on them, and the cannons have still been working whenever possible. Very Happy

Here's a pic from the foot of the Grand Viking looking up towards the Sapins and the filet between it and l'Y. The dark bits higher up are trees BTW!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Diable thermometer read 7degs when we left yesterday, but was lovely in the sun! Lower slopes like easiski says were very wet indeed, and all the superficial gains from the snow earlier in the week have been lost. Pied Moutet side very sticky lower down, but all still (just) complete. Unless the pistey beasties get to work shifting some more snow onto the Cote blue, the link to the other side will break very soon.
However, this is all low down stuff...
Above 2100m, there is simply stacks and stacks of snow, and below this, all the main home runs are complete and well-loaded, with the exception of the Chemin, which is badly broken. Next year we can look forward to snow cannons on this run I understand. Skied the entire face over the last 2 days, and it was great in loose granular spring snow, if a bit hard on the top pitch.
Had some lovely powder runs on Tuesday - Echins was well tracked, but enough fresh snow on top to not really matter. Fresh turns underneath the 8-man (hidden valley) and off Les Aymes/all over the Fee, really. Didn't ski the Rachas or Chalance - so wait for others to post about those.
The powder was lovely, but at the risk of appearing churlish, you were skiing on a clearly-felt hardpacked base underneath about 8 inches of fresh, so not the absolute pinnacle, but plenty good enough! Regret we didn't get to LG this time. We had planned to go on Wed and fight for space with the derby speed merchants, but the liaison wasn't working, and we didn't fancy the walk up the Dome de la Lauze as well as the hike over the top...

easiski, thank you so much for fitting in Squirrel when you did - he spent the rest of the week putting your drills into practice, and came on a lot. Little Angel

Sorry to have missed you llew - my fault entirely. My characteristic lack of organisation is to blame. Hopefully will meet next time if you come out again.

Nice to meet you Colin B. Sick to be back home again, but never mind - a great week and a whole lot of fun. Cool
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
paulmck, Sad that your visit was so flying this time, but at least you got an extra one in. Are you coming out in summer? Glad Squirrel came on well. Very Happy

today was very sunny and quite chilly first thing. The cannons were still working at 09.00 so I took a pic of the snow plumes at the top of the Valentin from the nursery slopes. Very Happy Skied the hidden Valley with colin B and Miss CB and they enjoyed it. The snow was a little hard in place high up, but on the whole quite nice, but variable. The second pic is looking down the valley from the same place as I took the pic looking up a while back. snow on the lower pistes was hard, and although it did soften later in the day, it was much better than yesterday. However, there are puddles all over the place at the bottom .... Cretes was quite firm today too.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
AlTom, I heard about a very exciting descent called Muretouse yesterday, involves extreme, roping and all sorts, but almost never skied. If you like the sound of it you'll have to get Boris to take you. Very Happy

Nice day today, but I only had one lesson. Snow on Cretes and combe du Thuit good. Big Cretes excellent, but small a bit harder. Valentin OK at 13.30 on my way home. Very Happy Pic of pretty view!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
It was a fairly nice day in terms of sunshine today and the snow was good everywhere I went, but the wind got up around lunchtime and it was brass monkeys after that. Sad I deffo needed another layer or 2 or 3. rolling eyes rolling eyes

did take pic, but it's late, I'm tired and I'll try to post it in the morning.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Never mind the pic I took yesterday.... this is this morning looking down the valley. Of course down on the grass etc it will all be gone by mid-morning, but will hang around a bit more higher up. Very Happy
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
It was sunny but bitterly cold today. I'm afraid I forgot to take my camera (still attached to the laptop). There was about 5cms of fresh on the Cretes and lower slopes, and although it wasn't enough to make a significant difference it was really light powder. The wind was a tad nasty at the top, but they were running the T bar (we wimped in the train). We found some fab tracks in between the ratracs as the other week, and only had to climb a couple of snow walls to access the spot. Very Happy All the pistes we skied were in perfect condition (Serre Palas, Mura, Jandri, Goulet and Cretes), and I got home via the Grande Pente which was a bit rutted but not too bad. Slightly mushy at the bottom but basically better than it's been for a week. The weather forecast says it's going to snow for the rest of the week, so we could get some more nice powder before the end of the season. Very Happy
latest report
easiski wrote:
AlTom, I heard about a very exciting descent called Muretouse yesterday, involves extreme, roping and all sorts, but almost never skied. If you like the sound of it you'll have to get Boris to take you. Very Happy

Thanks easiski.....maybe next season....it sounds really good, and be sure that explore LG extreme terrain is in our mind BUT.......Sad Sad Sad If you read in the pyrenees snow report topic you understand because I say next season Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sadCrying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sadCrying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sadCrying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
snow report
AlTom, Oh! oh! oh! sad. Crying or Very sad I don't know if Muretouse is considered part of LG or part of LDA - it's in between from the explanation that Etienne gave me. It sounds well hairy, and we'll just hope that it will get enough snow another year for you to try it (deffo a guide job). Also good snow for Couloir Electrique and several other routes that have been better this year than normal. OTOH some routes have not been so good ..... that's the way it is. I will try to ski Chalance for you at least! Madeye-Smiley
snow report
Now today I took my camera and tried to take a photo, but the batteries had had enough of the cold. I'll change them tonight.

It snowed most of the day, viz was poor to non-existant most of the day but the snow was good. I don't know how much fell, but it was falling so fast at one point that everyone was covered in about 30 secs! Shocked Cretes was good in the morning and very hard packed - you know how it gets with fresh snow - in the afternoon. I skied Valentin 3 times and it was good. Not hard, a bit mucky at the top at 16.00, and rather slushy at the bottom, but excellent for first trips with peeps. Traverising the nursery slopes OTOH was awful! Almost impossible to move with the rain/snow/slush and puddles. It's now raining down here, but no doubt snowing not much higher up.

the forecast is bad for all this week and next, so we could finish with the Valentin completely full which would be a first. Very Happy
latest report
It was one of the most revolting days of the season. Raining in town, half rain, half sleet, half snow on the Cretes and a very, very strong wind. It's now 90 kph at the glacier. It wasn't that cold, but not much was open and it was extremely difficult to work in. Add to that thick fog blowing around and flat light ..... A day to stay indoors in. I didn't even bother with a photo cos it was too depressing.

On the good side there is another 5-10 cms higher up, but what with the high wind and heavy, new snow the avvie risk was what closed a fair bit of the mountain. Sad Sad
latest report
Snowhead browser for yonks, but new to posting, now proprietor in 2 Alpes and here until the 22nd, happy to meet any fellow snowheads currently in 2 Alpes. Drop me a line on drash239 at mac.com.

We are in the Residence du Soleil (5th floor corner overlooking the valley).

If this comes out, this is the view from our bedroom. We're happy.

http://www.day-tripper.net/xzi2alpes/xphotobedroomwindow080407.jpg
snow report
David Ash, Welcome to posting. Very Happy Are you all here?
ski holidays
Yes - J. making curtains. May want a lesson Saturday or tomorrow. Depends on weather Madeye-Smiley.

Will ring later.
snow report
Well it was much better today, and the late afternoon even brought out a bit of blue sky (see 2nd pic). Unfortunately it had rained right up to about 2,400m at some point in the night and the snow was incredibly sticky. Something like skiing through glue. Later on, because it wasn't very cold it was like skiing through wet sloppy glue (like the kids make at school). Ugh. Fortunately the snow was fine at Toura level - what a relief! rolling eyes rolling eyes They ran lifts up to the glacier all day, so the wind was stiff but OK, and although there were spits and spots of rain on the Cretes, it stayed mainly dry.

Waiting for tomorrow ..... 1st pic looking over towards Pic Blanc, you can see how the snow line has risen in the last day. Sad
snow conditions
A really horrid day again today - this is getting well tedious! rolling eyes It was pouring with rain in the village this morning and still is. On the bright side it was snowing equally hard from just below the Cretes, so loadsa snow higher up. Unfortunately the wind was also high and when we went up at around midday the Jandri Express was being fairly battered. Getting to 2,600 we found that nothing was open so skied down Grand Nord in good snow but nasty conditions till we got to the Cretes. Bellecombe chair was off, Thuit was closed and some small avalanches had just come onto the path down. Sad

After a couple of runs on the Cretes we dared the Grand Pente which was almost untracked. The snow was heavy and a bit sticky at the top but wet at the bottom. Tough going for my guys, but they made it. There are quite a lot of grass patches at the bottom now, but with the exception of 2 small bits we could ski around them. Those 2 we had to walk across, but we're only talking 2-3m. Very Happy considering the weather I thought it was pretty good.

The Zags were working well having had plates and a heavier pair of bindings put on 1cm forward of the original bindings - what a difference. Very Happy they feel much more solid and balanced and I wouldn't have really renjoyed the run on the Fischers. snowHead

I didn't bother to take my camera today as it was obvious there was nothing to see. Laughing
snow conditions
easiski, The temperature is forecast as dropping for the next week with more snow. Should finish the season off nicely for you.
latest report
Frosty the Snowman, Yes, but TBH I would prefer sun and warm temps! Bring on the spring snow I say! Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
Pleasant spring day today. Sunny intervals, warm but not hot. Lots of fresh this morning but this melted back to the previous snow line during the day. Will have done some good higher up though. I was off, so no real news from the mountain.
ski holidays
It was a lovely day today. sunny and calm and quite warm int he morning, in the mid-afternoon it got a bit chillier with a spot more wind and some clouds around. Twisted Evil However the snow was bril all over the mountain fromt he glacier down to the Cretes. To be fair it was absolutely vile in the village at + 17.00, but then you would expect that. Off piste quite windblown though, but everywhere was evidently tracked out yesterday. Little Angel

1 photo from the resto at Les Cretes looking up at Rachas (tracked out) and the glacier and 1 photo of a black spodge which was really a marmotte. this is the second time I've seen this little fella just off the Cretes - obviously awake and sunbathing!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
easiski, looks gorgeous still. It's a shame you're not coming to VT - we'll miss you Sad
ski holidays
RachelQ wrote:
easiski, looks gorgeous still. It's a shame you're not coming to VT - we'll miss you Sad

Ditto, on both accounts.
ski holidays
RachelQ, rob@rar, thanks guys - I'm really relieved to be having a quiet week next week. Hopefully I'll get a couple of runs at LG, be able to walk across to here and ski down after it's shut, be able to have a couple of tele lessons as I've been promising myself for the last several years. Very Happy I also have clients and as we have much higher skiing than VT it should be better here!!!!!

Snowed buckets already this morning and still at it. Shocked Shocked
snow conditions
I've been busy and not checked in for a few weeks.
paulmck, I'm not sure if you got my message whilst I was at LDA?
My wife skied much more than expected and wanted my ski guiding skills.

Did u get to LG?
Good time?

I've only just got around to uploading photos. These are from 23-28 March.
http://cid-13aaaee24750b7bb.skydrive.live.com/browse.aspx/Public/Les2Alpes%202008
latest report
Llew, Nice pix - I take it you enjoyed the Grotte de Glace?

It snowed all day. Viz was mostly very poor, but with occasional intervals of about 30 secs. during one of these I snapped today's pic. Little Angel there was just buckets of snow, but below the Cretes it looked very heavy and claggy. Top of the Thuit was OK though, and as there wasn't much wind, hopefully it will be good higher up. Due to the viz I never went higher than 2,400m today. the nursery slopes were in much better condition late in the afternoon than they have been of late, which is good. there was a bit of slush, but it was surface rather than the foot of heavy wet muck from yesterday (complete with puddles).

It seemed as though most peeps were being very circumspect about the off piste (as they should) today, and there weren't lots of tracks everywhere, but there had been some big avalanches on the south wall of the Thuit. I presume these were detonated rather than natural, but still with a great deal of snow.

Hopefully the weather will be better tomorrow .....
ski holidays
This is getting ridiculous! Shocked
ski holidays
Grotte de Glace, Yes thanks easiski, my daughter especially. She is crazy on polar bears, therefore once she saw that was happy.
Do you know if they change or how often they change the sculptures?
Has it been there for a long time?

Agreed with ridiculous, what an end to the season.
Perhaps the resorts should stay open longer.
Shame can't really get away with another visit.
snow report
Llew, They only change the sculptures in the Grotte when necessary as the glacier moves. The dinosaurs have been there for ages, but they do open new galleries with new sculptures most years. I don't know how long it's been there, but at least 20 years AFAIK. Sadly there are never enough clients to make it worth the lift company's while to open longer, and also all the personnel are very tired now and looking forward to their hols!

It was the most fab snow today. In the top of the Thuit it was about knee deep and real powder. The viz was very in and out though, but on occasions the sun came out and it looked fab. there were lots of peeps falling around in the snow! Very Happy Very Happy Sadly, when I went to take a photo I discovered that I hadn't put my camera back in my jacket after this morning - sorry, I kept wanting to take one all day. Embarassed One of my guys lost a ski in the Thuit though, and I have to go up early tomorrow with a shovel and look for it. Bit of a bummer. Sad

I heard that Rachas and some walls of the Fee were very good, but Jutta said the Thuit was just about the best. I would have liked to come down Grande Pente but my later guys aren't up to that so we came down Valentin which was surprisingly hard underneath with soft bits to ski on. Not mogulled very late in the day. The nursery slopes were astonishingly hard too. Quite unbelievable for 15th April Shocked snowHead snowHead

I think at the end (27th April) the Valentin will still be full width - I've never seen that at the end before. Shock Shock

Edit: I forgot to say that (and this is true), as we started off down the Valentin a marmotte ran right across the piste in between all the skiers. Poor thing looked frightened out of his wits. Quite extraordinary - I've never seen one actually on a piste before.
snow report
easiski, A last long weekend is very tempting. It seems a waste to miss the excellent conditions.
snow report
Hi easiski,

Just wanted to say thanks for all the up to date pics and reports, seems you've posted alot without many comments!

When does Les 2 Alpes shut for the end of the winter season?

regards,

Greg
latest report
easiski, Good to see you guys had a better snow-season this year. Hope you made some green. Top job on the reports again.
ski holidays
Colin B, Go for it - great stuff! Evski is here next week for a few days.

kitenski, 27th April, but LG is open a bit later. Sometimes it does feel as though I'm talking to myself!

Whitegold, We had a good season last year. We actually benefit from years like that when peeps can't go to the low resorts. Although LDA is only 1650m high the main skiing is from 2000m - 3,600m, so we rarely have a problem with snow. Having said that although I've always skied down the Valentin on the last day of the season (including last year), I can't remember seeing it totally full with only 10 days to go. Very Happy

Beautiful day today and I have put my camera back in my jacket pocket. Very Happy
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy