Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les 2 Alpes - Winter 2007/8

Poster: A snowHead
Is it worth pre ordering list passes off the http://www.2alpes.com web site or does it not save much time Puzzled
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Not much point really,esp as they have now gone to mag passes(no faffing about with photos)Have always found the purchase of passes to be 'the' most efficient process in any resort......your money is gone in seconds Laughing
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
fragy, Not sure which pass you have...but we ordered rechargable liftpasses online for christmas/new year (www.les2alpes.com) and they're plastic with internet printed on the back, we had only ordered a 6 day pass and then tried to renew it at the Ski Caisse in LDA for the second week and couldn't....I think we had to do it online or something, so had to just buy another one there, this one was just stiif card and I don't think it's rechargable. No photos needed, although I think they may be needed for a season pass. You have to pay €2 for the rechargeable card, but it's so quick and easy to renew and hassle free....well almost as long as you charge it before you go!! Embarassed

easiski, Enjoy the bash Very Happy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for lift pass advice.

La Grave, I've had a suggestion of a 20 min hike from the top of LDA lift system. I also have seen somewhere that you can get towed by a snowcat.
Does anybody know how easy it is to catch a snowcat lift Puzzled

Is the La Grave area avalanche blasted or should a transceiver, shovel, etc. be rented Puzzled
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Is the La Grave area avalanche blasted or should a transceiver, shovel, etc. be rented

Definitely not avalanche controlled. Lots of crevasses too so you need to know what your doing and have sufficient knowledge/gear for self rescue. Take a guide basically.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Llew, It's a wilderness. No patrol/markers/anything. You take a guide or you take your chances. There are a couple of well-defined routes down, but I've never skied it in freshies, so would take a guide (I have one in mind) if the conditions required it. Definately if there's an appreciable risk then either don't go or take all the clobber as scottishskier says.
I've skied it once or twice late season and back myself to find the way down in packed conditions, but won't ever go there alone.
The snow cat follows the same route as you'd walk, but has slightly "variable" operating times/days. You can't bank on it but it's nice when it's there.
The crevasses scottishskier refers to are principally on La Grave's glacier, which is properly roped and patrolled. Below the glacier you're on your own.
Nonetheless, if you're aware of the risks and mitigate against them, it will provide an awesome day's skiing, and something you won't forget in a hurry. Basically, it's like skiing before anyone started to organise and sanitise things.
You are most welcome to tag along with us when we go, but we're not mountaineers or the mountain rescue, so beyond common sense there's not a lot we could do to rescue you from a deep hole, etc.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Totally understand.
Its a bit of a wierd concept, off piste, but with lifts specifically to get there from La Grave.

Is it a 20min hike both ways or does it slope from the la Grave side to LDA Puzzled
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Llew,
Quote:

Is it a 20min hike both ways or does it slope from the la Grave side to LDA

Nope.

Did it at February half term. Go to the top of the LDA glacier - we went up via the funicular. There is then a short ski downhill followed by a couple of hundred metres of skating to the bottom of a Tbar. At the top of the Tbar is the 'lift' over to the top of La Grave. This is a piste basher with two ropes out the back with T bars on the ropes. This tows skiers in the LaGrave direction only. There is then a short steep ramp to ski down to the top of the La Grave lift 'system' The top lift is a button up the glacier - the runs by the side of this lift are blues and are pisted and roped, so should be crevasse free. We went no further as we weren't euipped for, or had the time to go further. Going back up the tow some interesting crevasses were visible just a few feet from the tow (between the tow and the run). These areas were roped off, but were also tracked out by skiers and boarders!!

From the top of the tow to get back to LDA you have to walk up or skate (I skated everyone else walked!) the steep ramp, then you have to reverse the section you were towed across, but via a different route. The skiing route is a short uphill skate (or walk) a longer downhill which you shusch to get as far up the next hill to the top of LDA from where you started, the last bit of the hill you have to skate or walk. I've no idea how long it took, but as I'm a xc skier aswell, and have adjustable poles that I can lengthen enough that they'll give some help when skating, I actually enjoy skating. Mind you I'd rather not have done it on our second day as it was bl00dy hard work at the altitude, and i found skating at that altitude much easier at the end of the week.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Llew,

If you look on the LDA lift map the top lifts of La Grave are shown as lifts A, B C and D. We skied down the blues either sode of D, teleski dela Giroise and then came straight back up the tow. Interestingly the blues are not as marked on the lift map - one ran either side of the tow. Presumably the location is dependant on the location of crevasses on the glacier.

My companions were tempted to ski down one of the two itinaries marked on the map, at least as far as the middle station of the gondola. I advised against it as I wasn't sure the route finding would be easy.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
just got back.

AMAZING week.

skiing the bellecombes was very enjoyable. the borders run by la toura lift was fun too!

red frog is a top bar for apres ski.

smithys later on in the evening.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
marctimms, Glad to hear. Wish I was there. Very Happy
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'm not presuming I'm skilled enough to take La Grave, but I'm going in 2 weeks time to LDA, and I'm wondering if anyone has some pictures of the route down (just want to visualize how difficult it would be to ski down La Grave). Does anyone have any pointers? (I've checked the La Grave website, but thats just a sales brochure). TIA!

Update: Are these indicative?
http://flickr.com/photos/mikaelhultkvist/2231224197/
http://flickr.com/photos/mikaelhultkvist/2232009786/
http://flickr.com/photos/mikaelhultkvist/2231221935/
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Take a look at videos on YouTube. Just search for La Grave.
e.g.
http://youtube.com/v/cNh8_taoSFU&feature=related
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ojilles, When are you in LDA and what type of skiing do you do / are you looking for?
We are there skiing 23rd-28th. My wife is pregnant and therefore unlikely to ski much.
I've been looking for some people to ski with, reds and up Puzzled
I'd like to try the hidden valley mentioned and shown a few pages back.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We will be comin out ths eekend, Ive been reding the forum with interest and cant wait now especially since its now snowed Very Happy . Is anybody there at the minute who can update us on conditions.......Just my luck Easiski would go on holidy now.
snow conditions
Llew, we're traveling with the three of us (2 skiiers, one boarder) reds and up are cool (and what we're looking for actually). If you want we can hook up, no problem! We don't have much of a plan, but PM me if you're interested.
ski holidays
BOREDINWORK, Hardly a holiday, she's working, teaching at the MSB in Wengen.
ski holidays
ojilles,
Sounds good to me.
So you are also in LDA for the same week 23rd-28th Puzzled
I will probably ski some of the time with my wife and daughter, but it would be good to meet up to ski some reds, and try some of the routes back to resort Puzzled

We are staying in Carboug near the free drag lifts http://www.les2alpes.com/en/hiver/ski-and-snowboard/pistes-map.html

I have created a temp email account not to be deluged with spam. Drop me an email at jd-llew@hotmail.co.uk
latest report
Anyone out there 29th MArch - 5th April. Taking a coach of 41 people out Very Happy
snow conditions
garethjomo, sent you a PM.
snow report
replied Very Happy
snow conditions
ojilles, I posted some pix in Jan - just go back through a few pages on this thread,

I'll be home on Sat pm - whoopeeeeee. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
One of my good friends is in LDA at moment. Had a fair bit of snow up on the mountain this week but has fallen as rain/sleet some of the time at resort level. Anyone who has skied LDA before will know this isn't a big problem as almost all of the skiing is well above resort level. Visibilty has been poor but yesterday and today are clear.
Pistes are in fantastic condidtion from about 1800m up and lots of snow coming in next week or so. Runs to resort are skiable but she prefers to catch the Jandri express down.

Dont usually like to post secondary source reports but as easiski is away i thought i'd post the next best thing. Nothing you cant tell from webcams i know but at least i know someone there at the chalkface.

Smile
snow report
Quote:
lots of snow coming in next week or so

Hmm. Maybe. Hope so.
snow conditions
garethjomo, I appreciate it - thanks. Home tomorrow. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
easiski Welcome home, hope you had a great trip clare mcbride
snow conditions
easiski, hope you had enjoyable MSB even though it was work/play combined. Looks strongly like I might be going to the EOSB, so more practice before L2A in June!!
snow report
easiski, thanks for the pointers on the LG material. Not sure if I'm up for it, but we'll see @ Easter!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi all, thanks so much for all the posts... I'm finally off (again) to L2A tmr, hurray! My 3rd time skiing, i'm still a blue 'runner' can anyone tell me if La Fee (meeting gours) is an ok blue run?
Thanks.
katie
xx
snow conditions
kate682, depends what you mean by 'ok'. It has two steep sections, a narrow bit and a lot of track.
ski holidays
Lizzard, thanks lizzard, are the steep sections like the beginning of gours? I'm at a level of parrallel on one side and semi plough on the other...this time round...i'm going to so get it right though! Laughing
latest report
kate682, I thought Gours was what you were talking about. If you mean the Route de la Fee, it's just loads of track as I remember.
latest report
clare mcbride, Butterfly, thank you, entirely work I'm afraid, but home now and about to enjoy an real bath instead of just a shower. The snow level was about the same as in Wengen, and looked a little worn on the face slopes as I came up. Otherwise, nice to be back here and looking forward to tomorrow.

kate682, Les Gours, as Lizzard, has said is basically a green run with 3 red bits in it. Very pretty but long and slow on the flats. It's fine if you're not in a hurry. Route de la Fee on the other side is as she says - just a road along to the cafe and then a blue bit away from it.
ski holidays
easiski, Welcome back Very Happy Very Happy . See you in 3 weeks. Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
R32, Very Happy

The day started quite well with a little snow in the village, and then turned to rain. However that stopped and the sun came out which was nice. The snow on the Cretes was very nice. A little fresh on top and nice and firm. however the clouds moved in and it started to SNOW. snowHead snowHead snowHead It snowed hard all afternoon and is still snowing hard now. We seem to have about 3 or 4 cms on the ground outside. Very Happy Very Happy

I had some of my hot shot boys this afternoon, so we did Combe du Thuit twice under the chair in snow about mid-calf, then Grand Couloir (big mistake, loads of huge bumps even on the walls and nil viz Shocked Shocked ) and to finish Grande Pente. All had good fresh snow on, varying in depth from about ankle to mid-calf. Unfortunately the weather forecast for tomorrow is for storm force winds. Hopefully it'll be wrong! Pix of snow on the Cretes and looking down to the town from GP at about 17.00. Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
Massive snow this morning and still snowing. Very Happy Very Happy So far no wind - fingers crossed.
ski holidays
Hey, easiski is back with her photos Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Hope you had a great time at the MSB Charlotte, but nice to have you back posting in the LDA Snow Reports section again. Toofy Grin
snow report
Wow! loadsa snow! Looks excellent Very Happy
ski holidays
Good to see that you got back safe and sound - hope the return journey wasn't too arduous. Thanks so much for looking after the girls and bogee so well in Wengen and look forward to catching up for a cuppa in 3 weeks or so - hang onto that beautiful looking snow for us!
snow conditions
Nick L, jonm, Annie, Thanks. Very Happy

there was fantastic snow today! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy We started by making tracks on the Grand viking in the town, (they had re-pisted the Petit Viking in the morning - refreshing) a little damp but more than skiable and then moved up to the Cretes area. I had 2 of last year's over 50's (but they aren't) first thing so I had to watch peeps making humungous tracks down Rachas Evil or Very Mad Later on I skied Bellecombe with the parents of the hot shots and that was tracked, but had clearly not been pisted since fairly early last night. Very Happy found some freshies on the steep bit. Very Happy Very Happy Afternoon I had THE BOYS and we started off with making totally fresh tracks in the little corner spot near the Grand Nord Bis. JT; Graham N; Bernard C & ssh will remember that pitch from last year. All the boys went for a burton, but pulled themselves together and improved. Then we went via the nicely formed bumps on the Grand Nord back to the Bellecombe chair. All day the fog had blown in and out, but at this point it was pretty clear, so we went for it : Rachas itself!!! Shocked Shocked Cool It was heavily tracked and therefore a bit tricky. It's steep of course, and we made it down to the bottom in good order. A bit slow with several stops, but - hey! We took a break at the Cretes for 5 mins and then skied down via the Grand Pente which was quite heavy, but not over-tracked at 16.15.

All in all an excellent day .... now - how do I switch the classes round tomorrow???

Pic is looking up at Rachas just before we went there. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Second pic is Paul in a heap on the Cretes this morning! Shocked
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy