Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les 2 Alpes - Winter 2007/8

Poster: A snowHead
A thoroughly miserable day today. There was a bit of snow higher up, light was flat and it felt quite cold. I suppose it wasn't all that bad - it was just the contrast. However I don't have a headache at the end of the day, so that's good! Very Happy

the snow is holding up quite well considering, and the Cretes is still very nice. I didn't go above that today, but the lower slopes were also OK, and l'Y was a bit hard in places on the way down. Not icy though. Very Happy Pic of l'Y looking up from the bottom. Isn't it funny how they never look as steep in photos as they do to the naked eye? rolling eyes
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
easiski, Our friends had a great week in L2A last week.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Frosty the Snowman, Cool Cool
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
easiski,

Even when the Jandri express was busy, it was never bad - seen a lot worse at other larger French resorts and not just at the busy times. The one day when the queue was a bit bigger than normal we just took the white eggs (Jandri lift) and the telepherique above it to the Jandri midstation, which avoided almost all the queue. The mid station was never bad, presumably because lift 42 (Teleseige des Glaciers) takes up some of the slack.

The one lift we did have a problem with on a couple of occasions was the Lutin drag last thing in the evening - we needed it to get a bit of height to get back to our chalet. But it was my own fault - I hadn't realised the white eggs were still open as it was quite late in the evening. If I'd realised we could have gone up in that and then come down Valentin or Demoiselles and avoided the 1/2hr queue at Lutins.

Another possiblilty for us to get up the hill and avoid the Jandri express would have been the Teleseige Village which was close to us. It never looked busy either, but mornings we were dropping kids off at the ESF and after lunch we never had a problem with the Jandri being busy, so we never did use it.

All in all I was well pleased with LDA, second time i've skiied there, last time was a few years ago though when I was a much weaker skier.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Dave Horsley, sounds as though you had it pretty much sussed. Very Happy I don't know where the rep for Qs comes from - I think it's a certain publication where the owner/writer is a major not-fan of LDA ... could be wrong though. It is busier this week and the Qs on the drags at the bottom and also on the Petit Cretes chair are pretty horrid - it's just the big ESF classes. Avoid them and there's no problem. Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
easiski Keep up the good work - reports much appreciated. Watching the clock now, it's about 50 hours until we set off for Manchester Airport!
Hope it's not getting too icy - or there'll be one more snowboarder spending a week on her ar*e.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
JanA, It looks as though there may be some snow next week. Very Happy Yesterday's snow didn't amount to much, although it did give a lovely soft cm on top of what off piste was still skiable above 2,400m.

Sunny and warm again today, and some lovely soft spring snow on Posettes at the end of the day. We found very nice snow also on the off piste sections of both parts of the Thuit and also La voute, although tracked out on the whole, much nicer than on the piste + hardly any peeps! Very Happy Very Happy

Pic of the Thuit early afternoon - sorry for the blue cast!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
easiski keep the sunny pics coming please, your much hoped for snow is on its way, don,t think we'll be using my camera next week. And what does 11cms wed (and all the other cms look like ?.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
clare mcbride, Anything over 5cms would make a major difference to the lower slopes and would get rid of the hard patches. Very Happy

Sadly, sister of R32 fell and hurt her leg yesterday after the lesson, so I'm having an easy morning this morning. Looks fine and sunny, but there was some high cirrus around yesterday afternoon, which is a good portent. Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Another very pleasant day today with very good snow on the Cretes at midday, and later I took the girls to the hidden valley. The snow was fantastic although it was totally skier pisted and there were some serious bumps
Later we took a drink from the waterfall on the Gours which had this super 'natural statue' on it

We then skied Grande Pente which had very nice wet spring snow on it - not too heavy or deep - just nice! Very Happy

there was some cloud around from time to time, and it deffo looks as though a front will come through before too long, let's just hope it is snow.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hot and sunny again today. Everyone is expecting some snow at the beginning of the week. Very Happy
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
easiski, great memories snowHead Was it really three years ago that John and I skied the hidden valley with you and filled a water bottle up at the waterfall, which we had to climb up to and reach in deep.?! It was the most delicious water too. Must do it again sometime soon snowHead
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
RachelQ, I thought it was only 2 years ago - have I lost a year? Shocked
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
easiski, I thought that it was two years ago.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
easiski, Kramer, you're right, sorry Blush
snow report
RachelQ, thank goodness for that! Madeye-Smiley I was afraid I'd lost a year somewhere!! Shocked

It was pretty hot today, and I spent the whole day down on the nursery slopes - luckily I didn't put on too many layers! Forecast to snow tomorrow, but I'm not sure where the snow/rain level is likely to be, and unless the temps plunge I'm afraid it will rain down here. Sad Of course the snow higher up is already good, so it's not so important up there. We could do with a little more down here though - the cannons work most nights, but last night was the exception. It was 4 deg on my balcony before 08.00! Shocked Shocked Still, as the photo shows, there's still plenty on snow on the lower pistes. This was taken from the Gentianes poma looking up towards the Diable and l'Y.
snow conditions
Thanks easiski for continued reports.

I've got these figures from another ski web site which may help.

7-Day Snow Forecast Mon25 Tue26 Wed27 Thu28 Fri29 Sat01 Sun02 Mon03
Weather
New Snow (Upper Slopes) - - 12cm 1cm 2cm 2cm - 1cm
New Snow (Lower Slopes) - - 12cm 1cm 2cm 2cm - 1cm
New Snow (Resort) - - - - - - - -
Snow down to (m) - - 1890 1740 1870 1830 - 1890
Max Temp 3°C 3°C 3°C 4°C 3°C 3°C 10°C 4°C
Min Temp -3°C -2°C 1°C -5°C -1°C 0°C 0°C 1°C
Max Freezing Level (m) 2300 2230 2220 2370 2260 2200 3520 2320
Min Freezing Level (m) 1140 1350 1980 920 1590 1860 1640 1900
Wind Direction SW WSW NW SSW WNW NW WSW SSW
Wind Speed (km/h) 2 4 6 3 11 22 6 2

http://www.j2ski.com/snow_forecast/France/Les_Deux_Alpes_snow.html

Cheers,
Llew
ski holidays
Llew, It's all rubbish that far in advance I'm afraid to say. We can only hope. They're all saying different things as well! Shocked rolling eyes In fact the only reliable weather forecast here is the local one for tomorrow which is generally quite accurate. It's supposed to snow! snowHead anyway I hope it doesn't snow until the temps get down a bit. Although it was slightly overcast (perhaps I should say hazy) today it was still very warm, and the nursery slopes got really sticky and thick, but the Cretes was OK in the afternoon. We skied down Grande Pente and it was heavy wet spring snow which was fine and really quite pleasant. Very Happy sorry - I forgot to take a photo, but will do better (or try to) tomorrow.
latest report
Now I am starting to worry.

If you have read the last couple of pages from this thread, I let you know Im going to LDA in mid March, Ive been on two ski trips before and it hasnt snowed once. Is there anybody else who has had this type of luck? How much will people pay me to stay away from their resort next year?
ski holidays
BOREDINWORK, You shouldn't worry - actually if it snows the whole week it's a pain in the a*se! Locals say it will be very cold in March - don't really put that much credence in it, but you never know.

It was an odd day today as it started out with heavy cloud, but not particularly cold, and got better. Around lunchtime the sun came out, but by 16.00 it was flat light again. snow on the Cretes was fantastic first thing this morning, just about perfect corduroy, but it did get slightly mushy and sticky around early afternoon. I started to ski back down the Demoiselles, saw the second leg and popped off the side onto the top section of Les Posettes which was actually quite nice, but a bit heavy. Bottom of Valentin was revolting - thick and heavy porridge, with extra porridgy bits masquerading as bumps. At least it wasn't icy I suppose, but not much fun. Sad the nursery slopes were very slow this afternoon (which was good for my ladies however).

they're now saying it will snow tomorrow - always tomorrow at the moment. rolling eyes However it may rain in the village. Sad Sad

First pic shows Diable on the right and l'Y on the left showing how much better the condition on l'Y is than Diable. The second pic shows the Vallons and the 'corner' where they could put a red run down. It would be good if they could, but there is a big cliff just over the horizon, so safetly is an issue. It would also need cannons as it gets a lot of sun.
ski holidays
easiski, i'm off to L2A on saturday with a group of 9 other skiiers of a similar standard (very comfortable on reds, still working on blacks). don't suupose you could recommend a couple of good routes for us could you?

(feel free to tell me to just read the thread if it's all in ehre already!!)

thansk!
latest report
marctimms, It's a bit difficult to recommend routes per se, as we don't really have them. Also some of our blues are red, and some of our reds are black. You also don't say whether you're talking on or off piste. If you want to go over the piste map with me once you get here just give me a bell - number on website and in tourist office, and we can meet up. It's not that it's too much hassle - it's just too difficult to explain! Very Happy Very Happy If you go back a few pages there is a photo of the face with all the runs (or non-runs) named on it - sorry don't know which page it's on. Also www.les2alpes.com (tourist office website) has links to the google earth 3d view of the pistes and also downloadable maps and interactive ones. Very Happy

A bit more cloudy today, and it was deffo a little bit chillier./ It had rained int he village, but there was 1-2cms of fresh on the Cretes and maybe more above, but I can't say on that score. The clouds were moving around a lot, but the sun didn't totally come out for long. I took a pic looking up to 2,600 from the Cretes with rather pretty fog on it! A few snowflakes later in the afternoon, and it looks as though it might snow later on tonight, but I wouldn't think it'll be much. Still, every little helps. Very Happy
snow conditions
Thanks for the updates Easiski, we're coming out on sunday. Am getting a little panicky about the brown patches you can see on the lower runs webcam. Just hoping it will snow from now until we arive Confused Are the nursery runs still in good shape for beginners?
latest report
easiski, awesome, thanks very much for the tips. checked out the map and that looks useful, as does the main website. which website is your number on? is there some way of veiwing members profiles?
ski holidays
marctimms wrote:
easiski, awesome, thanks very much for the tips. checked out the map and that looks useful, as does the main website. which website is your number on? is there some way of veiwing members profiles?

http://www.easiski.com/
snow conditions
thanks bh1, was just on the way back to say i found it and was clearly being a muppet when i asked, but you beat me to it!
snow report
Pwarner, the nursery slopes are fine because of the snow cannons. the brown patches are on the lower runs (black) that have no cannons and are not pisted. Combe Valentin has good cover, but with the busy hols here I'd be an idiot to ski it I think! Shocked Cretes and above are fine so far, and although I did see 2 stones today, on the whole the snow is very good and plenty of it. We're more thinking of later in the season for wanting a bit more. That and just liking powder of course. wink Laughing

bh1, thanks - don't know where my sig has gone - I'll have to check that out, but of course the answer is on the LDA website under skiing and ski schools! wink

It was yet another really quite pleasant day (after yesterday's weather said snow tomorrow) Twisted Evil I went up to the top of Bellecombe, down the path to 2,600 and round the Goulet du Grand Nord and back to the Cretes. All fine but loads of bumps and washboards all over. The snow was soft at getting on for 14.00 but not slushy up there. Later I skied my peeps down the Grande Pente which was very nice soft fairly deep, but not heavy slush. Much better option that Valentin with 6,000,000 other peeps heading that way. The Chemin des Demoiselles is now closed BTW.

OTW it's still fine, just looks worse than it is. I'm afraid I (again) got so involved with my peeps that I forgot to take a photo today. I really will try to remember tomorrow. Mea culpa. Embarassed
snow report
easiski,

I skiied Valentin most lunchtimes and evenings to get back to our chalet, and didn't find it too bad. When I did think there were too many people skiing it too fast I just skiied over to the left (looking down) where it hadn't been pisted. In the bumps for some reason there was always many fewer people and those who were skiing the bumps did so at a much slower pace. Though if it was open I prefered Sapins, but would then have to use the Lutins drag to get back to the chalet.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Dave Horsley, Valentin is fine if there aren't many people on it and the condition is not too icy. I never ski it after 15.30 in the afternoon though. Yesterday we went down Grande Pente which is my favourite, and because it's not marked, and it's enormously wide (not pisted of course) that's also very quiet. The bumps at the side of the Valentin are actually the Belle Etoile. they are never pisted ever and can get quite big on occasions. Very Happy

today was a bit cloudy and little spits and spots of snow. A bit of drizzle in the village though. It was quite chilly in the foggy moments, but pleasant the rest of the time. They say it's going to snow tonight and tomorrow, and some of the forecasts are talking about snow most of next week - we'll see! rolling eyes

2 pix today from the ice grotto when I took the kids in this morning - quite lovely in there. Captain Hook looks suitably horrified about being swallowed by a crocodile! Laughing
snow conditions
7 long days to wait Sad the closer it gets the longer it seams to take. Best start doing the snow dance to take my mind off it Very Happy
snow conditions
Finally found time to upload some pics from last week. Weather was fab, all except for one day Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Frozen Lac du Chambon

View from Orientation Table on the Glacier

The Cretes

R32 at the Cretes

La Mura

La Mura looking towards the Glacier

Croisierre Blanche

Kite Skiing
ski holidays
Just back after a great week, snow conditions are generally quite good particularly from cretes upwards. Skied Grande Pente Monday afternoon with easiski which was gret fun Very Happy Very Happy . diable wasn't to bad when I used it later in the week. Some fresh snow would be good particularly for the lower slopes.

easiski, great fun skiing with you on Monday, thanks for the tips/advice practiced the technique all week and think i'm getting there wink . Tried the Aztecs and also Movement Yaka, not sure if that was the model you mentioned but really liked them, may just try some Movement Sparks when we go away in April before making a decision, may be returning in the summer the family are quite sold on the idea of ski in the morning and sit by the pool in the afternoon.
latest report
easiski, we had to change hotel so now at Le Souleil Or but cannot reach you on your phone??. Hope to see you tomorrow.
latest report
Gregd, Sounds good, and very nice to meet and ski with you too. Good on you doing your practise! The Spark was the one I couldn't remember the name of. How did you find the Aztec? If you're coming in the summer be sure to let me know - it's sooooo good! The earlier the better from the point of view of skiing though.

lordjohn, I've left a message on your ansaphone, if I don't hear from you this evening I'll phone the hotel in the morning.

Today was the first morning when the snow on the Cretes wasn't up to much. Sad The last couple of hot days (very hot today) and the rain low down on Friday night didn't do us any favours. The snow higher up is still OK though, so all is not lost. I skied down the Grande Pente which was OK but there are quite a few grassy patches low down on the left (photos looking up and down). However there is better cover right in the middle, but alsio some bumps which I avoided. All that was fine, and then I got to the Lutins slope .......... Shocked Sad Shocked Sad Shocked Oh boy! Really dreadful snow - thick, gluey, wet and very, very heavy. Roll on some colder weather and some snow. the down photo looks down at the nursery slopes, and shows that there's plenty of cover where the cannons have been working. Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
easiski, Aztec was good but the Yaka just seemed to turn easier (narrower underfoot??). Having said that i was using the Yaka later in the week when my ski legs had returned Laughing Laughing . I'm going to try all 3 (Yaka, Aztec, Spark) in a row when we go away in April then make the decision, I am a salesmans worst nightmare Twisted Evil , took me about 6 trips to the dealership and about 20 phone calls when I bought a new car in October Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
easiski, great pics!
ski holidays
Gregd, Sounds like a plan!

eng_ch, thanks

Sunny so far this morning, but a little colder than the last 2/3 days
latest report
easiski,

thats good for the coming snow then.. wink
ski holidays
easiski,

You posted a picture of "the hidden valley" toward the top of this page.
It looks like an excellent route, but where is it?

Thanks,
Llew
ski holidays
Llew, You drop into it from the bottom of Serre Palas just before it divides and the Breche heads off to the right. Turn right off the piste at the junction, and under the Glaciers chair (you can see it in the background of Easiski's photo). That's all there is to it really, once you're in it's a natural gully and difficult to go wrong. It spits you out halfway along Les Gours, just above the long flat bit.

Alternatively, there's always Chalance... Toofy Grin
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy