Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les 2 Alpes - Winter 2007/8

Poster: A snowHead
dobby, Hope so - slush I can deal with, cold I can't!!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
easiski, Thanks for all the updates. My wife and son and I are arriving in La Grave on Feb. 17th for a week of skiing, staying at Hotel Edelweiss and skiing off piste with Snow Legend. I hope we've made good choices. Do you know anything about the hotel and guide service? Hopefully, we'll spend some time in L2A and run into you for a cocktail. It's been snowing over here at Sunday River in Maine all week so hopefully it same storm will hit the southern Alps as well!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Easiski

I can do cold - I don't get cold at all. It's those long things on the end of my feet that are the problem (not toes).....especially after nine years "resting"....AKA waiting for kids to get old enough to ski.
ski holidays
 brian
brian
Jack, some of us stayed at the Edelweiss last year. Rooms are fairly basic but the food's good and they have a Black Diamond demo centre in house so you can try out some good skis. The proprietor is a Scot so they have a good range of malts at the bar too wink

Don't know anything about Snow Legend but La Grave certainly lived up to its legendary status imo. snowHead
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Jack, I'm sure you'll have a fantastic time in LG - loads of snow right now, I dont' remember it better at this time of year. If you're over in LDA give me a bell (mobile phone number on each page of my website, and we can certainly meet up with pleasure. Very Happy Very Happy In any case - enjoy!

dobby, But that's the point - after 9 years off, it's all changed - they're not long any more!!! Shocked

Lovely clear day at the moment and set to continue. Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Beautiful warm, sunny day today with very little wind. Very Happy FAB!! Snow was great everywhere, did Toura and Gours in the afternoon and no probs at all. There were some stones on Toura, but there always are there now the snowpark is there - too many snowboarders sideslipping I guess. wink These are probably what Snowangel was referring to, because I can't find any others!! I've been looking for a week. Shocked

I took a couple of photos from the top of the Bellecombe chair, one looking towards Mont Blanc and the other looking up to the glacier.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Regularly look, but thought it was about time to say "nice photos Charlotte". Snow conditions look fab. Only 8 weeks to go to Tignes and 10 weeks to the EOSB!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Nick L, Thanks - sorry I'll be missing you in Val T this year.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
easiski, thanks for the reports, 4 weeks today till i get back out there Very Happy was just wondering if you would be a able to fit a few lessons in with my better half ?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
fragy, Send me an email. my address is on every page of my website. I am very busy though. We'll see what we can do.

Lovely sunny day again today. I have a day off - woohoo! Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hi All,
I'm not sure this is the correct place to post this question ... apologies from a n00b if it isnt. This is where the L2A experts are tho!!!

I'm off snowboarding in L2A for a week on 16th Feb (cant wait ... yippee!!!!!).

I'm trying to book intermediate board school for 6 mornings. L’Ecole du Ski Français des 2 Alpes were recommended ... http://www.esf2alpes.com/english/site/index.html ... but they are not taking online bookings anymore. They say to arrive on the 17th and try to book then, but no guarantee there will be a place available.

I'd like to get a place with these guys, what are my chances if I just arrive on the 17th without pre-booking?

Failing that, can anyone recommend another board school in L2A for intermediate board school for 6 mornings?

Thanks in advance!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
it will be a very busy time for them so could be a bit iffy Sad
have you tried the tourist information as there may be freelance board instructors in the resort, its a long shot but i dont know of any other way to help, sorry
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
OceanFrog, Try Luca Baraldi ( www.lungostyle.com ) or Olivier Picone at Bliss Snow School ( www.blisssnowschool.fr ). Both are very good and independent doing private lessons or small classes. Better than the big groups. To be fair some of the snowboard instructors at the ESF are very good, but no-one can be good with 10+ boarders in a group.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
easiski, easiski, thanks for the reports only 13 days to go and counting til' we're there Very Happy .
p.s Just thinking about lift passes should we pre-book via the web and get them sent to our home (might be a bit late) or leave it til' we arrive in case there are any discounts to be had?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Gregd, There won't be any discounts, but you might as well wait, get to the liftpass office either late or early and go inside (sooo many peeps Q outside) - it shouldn't take long. Not worth the risk if there's a problem with the post at this point in time.

It was a fantastic day again today. I'm not really getting bored writing that. Shocked Blue sky, good snow and warm in the afternoon. I don't think the ambient temperature rose all that much as it was chilly in the shade, but very warm in the sun. No wind on the Cretes, but a bit on the glacier early on. It wasn't enough to blow snow around though. The snow on the Cretes was just exactly what a piste is supposed to be like. coming down at about 16.15 the chemin des Demoiselles was hideous, so I took to the Posettes top part and found it partially softened. It was fine to ski, and at least there weren't too many peeps on it. Very Happy Back onto the Valentin at the bottom, to find a frightened dutch or flemish lady with her skis off thinking about walking down. I told her that it was terribly dangerous, and persuaded her to go back up to the green - thank goodness! (no phew! smilie).

Pic of les Cretes looking and feeling good. If you look carefully you can see that the protective fence at the side of the green Petit Cretes has been moved sideways and the opening set lower. Much more convenient and more space for the classes. Very Happy
snow report
It was very sunny again today, but deffo a bit colder than yesterday. I was up on the glacier in the morning and it was positively chilly! Shocked A bit of light wind from the east and well below zero. I shall wear more clothes tomorrow. rolling eyes The snow on the pistes of the glacier was ab fab, and skiing down to 2,600 via Serre Palas, La Mura and Le Jandri was all quite perfect. No stones at all and no hard patches either.

I've taken a photo of the glacier looking from the top of the Signal chairlift, and also one of the run (which isn't always there, it's a sort of itinerary) called Sautet which comes down from the top of the Fee. There were a number of peeps on it, mostly struggling! Never pisted and very steep. Very Happy Very Happy

It is quite hard down in the village first thing in the morning at the moment, but softens up nicely after a bit of sun. I skied down Grand Pente at about 16.15 and it was a bit hard and bobbly, but quite skiable. Not as soft as Posettes yesterday, but then I don't think it had had the numbers on it as it's less obvious.
ski holidays
easiski, Very Happy Very Happy Less than a week to go Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
easiski, Is it busy. Have some friends out there at the moment (they pre booked lessons without consulting me rolling eyes )
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Frosty the Snowman, Yes - but not crowded on pistes or lifts as everyone's spread out all over the whole mountain. Actually it's the best Feb hols week I can remember: great snow; great weather; lots of peeps; no queues! Very Happy
latest report
another great day today. Still chilly on the glacier, but relatively warm lower down. I was in a headband for a while, but had to put my hat back on about 3pm. I was up on the glacier and then down via the top of the hidden valley and onto the Breche (don't ask!) - great snow. Down the Grand Nord, Deversoir (for the first time this season) and bottom of combe du Thuit - great snow. Cretes - great snow. Grand Creux at the Toura level - great snow. In fact the snow was even great on the bottom of the Valentin, although I did find some ice on the Demoiselles! Shocked All in all, it's hard to imagine it better, but if we have another week like this one it will get icy on the lower slopes by the end of that. Pic is from the top of Grand Creux looking up to the glacier - don't worry about the rocks - they're outcrops and not on the pistes! Very Happy
ski holidays
Easiski,

Great photos as ever! Would just like to pass on my thanks as yours is one of the threads I always have a look at whilst wandering around the site.

Enjoy the great snow! snowHead
ski holidays
Fab pics @ Easiski - thanks. Looks fab. Will be there for a flying visit next week! Can't wait! Very Happy
ski holidays
colbolt, jonm, Thanks for the thanks. Very Happy

jonm, Plenty to enjoy at the moment. Very Happy Very Happy

another fab day. Sunny and pleasant. It's not hot, but not nasty and cold either. Temp -11 on the glacier at 08.00 this morning, but less wind than yesterday so much nicer. Today I was up on the glacier and skied the Dome and the bottom of the Echines before heading back down (had been on Grand Nord/Bellecombe before that). The snow throughout was excellent. The Echines was a bit variable as you'd expect, but well skiable. 'Moonland' was fine but with some nasty breakable stuff to catch out anyone who wasn't doing gentle sp turns! Shocked Pic is of the Echines des Chevres. If you look closely you can see a couple of skiers, which gives you an idea of the scale Very Happy
ski holidays
hi, im new on this forum. I really apologies the great job done by easiski Smile

Well, im going to go on march, exactly the 15-22 week. how looks the snow? is there enough for a good skii session?

I know, my english sux...
snow conditions
m_enanos, welcome to the mad house! Madeye-Smiley There's a really good base of snow at Les Deux Alpes - and the skiing goes really high - so there should be plenty good snow for you. Relax, and look forward to your holiday there.
latest report
Hello all

Another noob to the forum here, great forum btw. Thanks to easiski for helping my workday go quicker.

Im coming to LDA mid March for a week with 5 mates. 3 skiers, intermediates who think we can ski and 3 boarders, 2 1st timers and one who would like to think he can do it, but Ive seen him wink and the only time he gets any air is when hes about to taste the snow......only messing mate if you read this.

Im worried though as Ive been skiing twice on holiday and both times its not snowed. Once with the school in the 80's to Austria and again last year to Andorra. Even though it hasnt snowed its been great if Im honest but I would like it to snow. Whats the chances as I notice it hasn't snowed now for over a week and doesnt look like it any time soon.

Sorry if this is a little long but as my name says I'm bored in work and nothing better to do.
snow conditions
BOREDINWORK, welcome to snowHead s
You should have a great time in LDA.

Don't worry about the snow. It would be absolutely unbelievably freakish weather if it didn't snow within the next 4 weeks, and from what easiski writes the conditions are currently fantastic and the pisteurs would be able to keep it that way even it there were no more snow!
snow report
m_enanos, Welcome, and I think your english is fine! Very Happy there will be plenty of snow when you come - there is lots and lots of it!

BOREDINWORK, Also welcome. don't worry, even if it doesn't snow before you arrive there'll still be plenty of the stuff to go around. Very Happy However it would be most unusual to go more than about 3 weeks without snow, so I'm sure it will come again.

Today was ..... wait for it .......... pleasant and sunny! Shocked Not too warm though as about 15.00 my fingers started getting cold as I'd foolishly taken only my summer gloves up today! I didn't have my boot heaters on at midday but I put them back on around the same time as my fingers got cold (hat on too). therefore, although it seems pretty warm in the sun, it must be fairly chilly up the mountain. There are one or two harder patches appearing, but apart from the Demoiselles no ice. Very Happy The think is, the parents of two of my students told me that it was icy in the Combe du Thuit this afternoon. Shocked I barely even saw any harder patches (indeed the snow was mostly firm packed powder with a little soft powder on top), so one wonders what constitutes 'ice' in some peoples' books? For me ice is the shiny grey or blue stuff! Anyway, no ice in the Combe du Thuit. Very Happy Very Happy Pic of that run from the bottom at about 15.50 this afternoon.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
easiski, following all this with mounting anticipation and some trepidation; 2 weeks to go with everything organised. Great views and obviously some great weather out there.
snow conditions
lordjohn, Thanks - we're hoping for a little more snow before too long, as it is deffo starting to get a little hard on some of the high usage corners which are subject to wind and so on. Other places are still fine, but obviously with plenty of holidays still to come a top up would be very welcome! sometimes you can have too much sun! Shocked Shocked

today's photo is looking down onto the jolly little off piste area I call 'moonland'. Perfect for novices as you can weave gentle spts around the rocks and little gullies (you can't see them in the photo). La Muzelle in the background.
snow report
EASISKI Wonderful pics. So looking forward to my first trip to LDA Feb 23 Ahhh bounce bounce am I a happy Tigger or what ! only a week to go now.
ski holidays
easiski, thanks for the reports as ever it's a delight to read them and view the photos - I remember 'moonland' well from last March as my first and only little foray off the main piste.
ski holidays
clare mcbride, Glad you're keeping an eye on the reports. No time flat now!

Richard E, Yeah - he he! super little sortie off there.

Another sunny day! rolling eyes rolling eyes Laughing Laughing On the nursery slopes with a beginner today, and it was warm and pleasant. Around 15.00 the snow got a bit spring soft, but otherwise OK all round. Sorry - I forgot to take a photo! Embarassed Embarassed
ski holidays
Another nice day - deffo a slight chill in the air in spite of the sun though. First pic is looking over towards the Jandri Express from the top of the Petit Viking lift - note the numbers! 2nd is looking down at the village slopes from the Sapins, just under the trees. This was at nearly 5 this evening and shows lots of ants on the lower slopes!! Shocked

It was really busy today, but I heard it was OK higher up in terms of crowdiness. Hopefully tomorrow will be better, but you're in no doubt in the town that it's holiday time.
latest report
Had a really good week in LDA last week. Snow on top of the glacier was great. The top two runs at the end of the T-bar on top are great for waking up the legs first thing in the morning. Signal also a nice run on top (you can tell that I stick to the blues). Snow at Les Cretes and Les Petites Crete still good at the end of the week.

By the end of the week lower/resort runs were hard first thing in the morning (but not icy - apart from the areas which had not been piste-bashed) and a bit slushy in the afternoon, but I was surprised how well the snow held up, given the beautiful weather Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Jandri was getting busy at the end of the morning and more so at the end of the day with everyone returning to the white eggs/resort.

Saturday was getting a little more busy with the start of the French holidays and with half of the UK on half term holidays.

Cannot wait till next year.

Dobby
snow report
I'm just back from a week in LDA - brilliant week really. Weather was nice and sunny all the time and the snow wasn't bad, particularly high up and on North facing slopes. I think I passed Easyski once on Monday on the Signal run. Considering it was halfterm week it was remarkably quiet. Only time we ever had queues was on the Jandri express first thing in the morning after dropping my friends kids off at the ESF.

I was telemarking (or skiing on telekit anyway). Until my last run of the whole week I saw at most 6 other tele skiiers (It may have been only 4 as 2 I only saw at a distance from the lifts so may have been repeats). One was a French guy who i chatted to briefly, one was Norwegian living in England, who I chatted to on the La Fee lift and then followed down Sautet (the unpisted black that was very sugary when we skied it), he tele'd most of it I stuck to parallels as my teleing in moguls is poor, one was an american who was doing the season. Met him on Diable, which then meant I had to try and tele it, which was a bit hard on the legs. I then doubled the number when i met a ESF group on Sapins all telemarking. The ESF instructor was probably the best tele skier I saw all week.

Best runs were the Signal blue, the Selle black, and we enjoyed the itineraire that runs under the top half of the Jandri Express and connects into Gours. We were staying in a chalet witin 150m of the top of the Mont de lans lift. I think we all had a really enjoyable week.
ski holidays
dobby, Dave Horsley, I'm glad you both had such a nice week. Very Happy Very Happy We do aim to please!

Today was - again - wait for it - warm and sunny! Shocked A slightly fresh breeze (well, more of a waft) on the Cretes, but it felt really hot in resort. R32 said the temp in the sun on his balcony was 33 deg!!! Anyway, the snow is still holding up, but if the possible clouds and dusting of snow do arrive on Weds it'll be a bit of a relief TBH. We could do with some serious snow, but it doesn't look likely. Anyway, due to the fact that it hasn't actually been that warm higher up, it's holding out remarkably well.

I took a pic on the nursery slope which shows that learning to sit-ski isn't as easy as it might appear! (real learner), and then there's a montage that I took from the bottom of the Vallons lift looking down the Diable area to the town. I Put a yellow O round my house, so you can see that I really am out in the sticks now!
snow conditions
Hi easiski,

Looks like we were satying at almost the opposite end of town then. I was surprised how quiet the resort was considering it was half term. No really big queues at all, even on the couple of occasions when the Jandri Express was busy first thing , the wait was less than 10 minutes. Most of the time we just skiied straight on to the lift. The La Fee lift in particular was very quiet. We were often there in the morning and were practically the only people using it, it did get a bit busier in the afternoons, but we were always able to jsut ski onto the lift - no queue. I was surprised it was so quiet, as the runs were in good nick, particularly the Selle run, which had really nice soft powdery snow on it.

Most of the runs, even those back into town were holding up quite well. Diable was nice grippy snow, Valentin at the other end was a bit harder and tended to have more people skiing down it fast (not sure they were always fully in control) and I prefered to come down the bumps at the side, which were quieter. I managed one nice run down Grand Couloir before it was pisted out and then repeated it as one of the last runs of the day on friday, our last day. The pisted bit was a bit harder (I won't say icy as I don't think I came across anything that was really icy all week). I think the steeper south facing runs that might have been problematic (like Sautet) were kept closed until they had softened in the sun - and then it was just really nice granular, sugary spring snow.
I'll probably encounter real icy conditions if I head up to Cairngorm at teh weekend, as thats supposed to be real boiler plate in the morning before it softens.
latest report
easiski,

Thanx for the updates and photos..not long for us now so see you soon...xx
snow report
Give me a bell once you're alli n. Very Happy

Dave Horsely Glad you enjoyed so much of the resort. It's true that once everyone has dispersed the queues are not much. Unfortunately peeps seem to take the Qs for the Jandri Express and talk about them. Sad The Belle Etoile lift hardly ever has Qs. Very Happy

It was warm and sunnay again today, and the snow on the nursery slopes was surprisingly good first thing this morning. I was expecting it to be fairly icy, but it was just firm pisted corduroy. Very Happy Cretes was good, and I took the girls down Les Posettes last thing and we had fab spring snow for the first 2 legs. The third leg was a bit trickier but still skiable by youngsters without a lot of off piste experience. Very Happy I took this pic from the bottom of the third leg of Posettes looking back up.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy