Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les 2 Alpes - Winter 2007/8

Poster: A snowHead
Llew, I don't understand - busy when - going by Tete Moute is fine but Super Diable is very steep. Cretes is blue and green, Super Diable is black, black! I assume the whoever was referring to the rush to the Valentin on the way home, when the bottom part of the Cretes can get very busy - but don't go near the Valentin at the end of the day anyway. The Grand Nord is the funnel, but there's almost no way to avoid it except by going via Le Gours (very nice) and coming back to the Cretes on the Voute chairlift. Then you could ski to the bottom of the Cretes chairlift and thence to the Diable itself (I'm assuming you ski black runs here). Diable is long and is black, but not seriously scary - Super OTOH is deffo scary!

Looking fair this morning. Big day ahead, will report later.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I need to hire boots and skis for a four year old in LDA. Travel operator has failed to deliver (surprise!?). Can anyone recommend a good place? I will be staying in the middle of the village, so somewhere near there would be good.

Cheers

Dobbie
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've always found Jaques Sports really really helpful - they sorted my 4 year old a couple of years back and even had some funky pink ski's Very Happy ! They're next to the Viking nursery lifts.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Cheers, Pistemister. I will not tell her about pink skis...this will get hopes up.

Dobby
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
As previously mentioned we went to LG again today, and found that the snow was very good but it is now totally tracked out - very nice piste in fact! However, a good time was had by all, and then 4 of the 6 came with me down the hidden valley (beautiful packed powder) and after that the grande Pente (more or less softened by late afternoon). coming down I did find some of Snowangel's stones on the corner of the Serre Palas where they seen to have a social scene going. Otherwise I still haven't found them!

Pix of the 'liaison' to LG, some of the gang coming through one of the little gullies about half way down, and then a view over towards Italy from the summit of the Dome de la Lauze - top of the world. Very Happy Very Happy

Also as previously mentioned, I won't be able to post a report now until Sunday, so I hope someone else will take up the slack.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Oh, forgot to say that I met Al Tom at the Haut Dessus restaurant at LG when we were on our way back. No doubt he'll have some super pix from his trip around the Alps when he gets back. Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks easiski, the suggestion about Les Cretes being busy was from somewhere I read, suggesting it was crowded due to it being ski school meeting area Puzzled

I can not find where it was now; no matter all the better if its not really an issue.

Llew
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Llew, It was probably suggested by one of the 'loonies' who didn't like being kept out of the lesson area! Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
easiski, thanks for the updates, less than 4 weeks til' we're there Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hi easiski, and anybody else who can help, looking for clean accommodation in the resort from the 8th-15th March for a couple with a 3 year old child, close to the centre would be nice. Anybody help or know what the elderwiss is like that got refurbished last year? Anybody stayed there? or can recommend somewhere. Please Very Happy
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Really nice to met you without any planning in LG......

As you said LG was all tracked, so no freshies, but we found the snow very nice and it was possible to ski all the couloirs du lac (derobe, terrasse and banane) and I think that also the freaux. we didn't ski it as the conditions weren't the best, but we heard people that was possible. Good days to improve bumps technique. The last days wind affect the upper part and the triffides aren't skiable safely, as the pan de riddeau. But now we know the area and we'll plan a short trip in a better season, maybe march....

Today alpe d'huez really crapy...completely iced without any possibilities to attemp the offpistes due to lack of visibility and snow condition.....we'll return to know in better condition...
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
fragy, have you tried contacting Tory at www.sasles2alpes.com by email if you are interested in appartments (rather than hotels I mean).
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
chaletglacier, yes tried Tory first, she looks after my place but she hasn't got any ware going free so thought i would try on here, the people i know have already booked flights and bensbus so need to book direct, a hotel would be ok if i knew who had some vacancies. Thanks anyway.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
fragy,

I'm out in L2A on long weekend with the wife - staying in some posh hotel (to whet the appetite Toofy Grin ) - 13-16th if you want to meet up I'll PM you my mobile no
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
simonmj66, sounds good, always up for a couple of beers. Let me have your number and i'll give you a call when we get out there.
snow report
fragy try Lyn & Pete if you want to organise some self catering at http://www.scuba-ski.com/
latest report
Just got back and lots of low snow on the way up. Had to dig out the place to put the van, but to my surprise the snow was light as a feather! Ooooh - must have been lovely today. Very Happy
ski holidays
Excellent, easiskis back, in time for the new snow, looking forward to reports of fantastic snow Smile
snow report
easiski, Pleased you are back safe. The van must have passed then Very Happy Very Happy .

Only 2 weeks to go Very Happy

Apparently Yad Moss was open today, but I was working and ski boots are in France anyway Sad
snow report
Yes - the van passed it's MOT without any trouble (considering it's 19 years old). Very Happy Very Happy

It was lovely and sunny today, and there was still some powder around in the morning but it was totally tracked out by the afternoon. Just as well or I'd have been tempted to ski down and being completely shattered + very cold it wouldn't have been a good idea. the quality of the snow was cleearly very light and the real McCoy. Very Happy It was cold though and the wind chill was considerable in the afternoon. I needed a long hot bath when I got home, which is why it's a bit late to be posting this. I took a photo of some tracks in the fresh as I was going up the Petit Cretes chairlift. Very Happy Tomorrow I'm going back to the full layered look! Deffo not wearing enough today! Shocked

The wind is up now, so I've closed the shutters hoping that I'll be able to sleep - couldn't last time we had a very high wind, I am a bit exposed out on the cliff edge.

I've got a couple of good skiers Tues/Weds - hoping it snows again.
wink wink
ski holidays
Well done to the car.... Glad you are back safely... Very Happy
latest report
foul last night and foul this morning. Very high winds, the snow outside is scoured to death. I don't know if it's snowed higher up, but certainly nothing will have stayed on the ridges. Shocked Shocked rolling eyes rolling eyes
snow conditions
It was great seeing (and skiing with easiski last week - and seeing her on her return.

Sorry I didn't post last week, Excellent thought the Lutins is, wi-fi is not one of its features. There was lots of snow, and a good dump on Friday night meant powder conditions on Saturday. Our group went to La Grave (again!) and had a great day. What surprised me was how quickly a huge off-piste area like La Grave got tracked out - there were a lot of skiers/boarders there. Maybe it was because it was a weekend day - though I would have thought that Saturday being 'chageover' day would have kept some away. In practice, it was like being at St Anton after a good dump.

Anyway we left loads of snow for anyone going to LDA - I hope you enjoy it. Very Happy
snow report
Just read about today's weather in LDA - winds of 90km/h on top.... Shocked Better be better by Sunday.....
latest report
achilles, Great to see you too. LG gets busy with locals at the weekend I think!

dobby, Fantastic snow - don't knock it!

It was really windy down at the chalet this morning, but not so bad on the Mont de Lans end. Les Cretes was open and the skiing was good, but it was snowing buckets and the viz was miz! However, after a couple of hours we had snow to our ankles on the piste, hardly anyone out there, and I came back down the Posettes which was knee deep in really light powder. I couldn't see anything, so the bumps under the snow weren't the best fun, but the whole descent was so good that I nearly went up and did it again! Shocked snowHead

I took a picture of my skis on the piste outside the restaurant, and one of the van which had no snow on it at 09.30. I took the pic at 14.00!! Shocked Shocked The wind seems to have dropped at least at the cretes level and the eggs started up in the afternoon. If the weather breaks it should be brilliant tomorrow. Very Happy Very Happy

I had a right carry-on however later as I lost my house keys. I left the van at the top of the road, walked home, found I'd lost them, walked back up the hill to the van - not in there, went back to the other end of town and sifted through the snow where I'd parked - not there, so I had to borrow some big 'pinces' from Arlot's hardware shop to break into my house. I have to go back now to return them! As usual when there's loads of snow and driving is very difficult, people are walking several abreast along the street everywhere - PLEASE DON'T DO THIS! If it's uphill you can't stop or you don't get going again, and if it's downhill you can't brake or you skid - it's actually quite frightening!
snow conditions
easiski wrote:
As usual when there's loads of snow and driving is very difficult, people are walking several abreast along the street everywhere - PLEASE DON'T DO THIS! If it's uphill you can't stop or you don't get going again, and if it's downhill you can't brake or you skid

Hear, Hear! Why are pedestrians so stupid when driving conditions are difficult. Surely most of them are drivers (or get driven) themselves? It was very tricky driving today from Courchevel to Les Arcs, with too many people walking up the middle of the road when cars are trying to maintain their uphill momentum. They are a complete pain in the proverbial.
snow report
rob@rar, Even worse, I've just come back and they were towing small children on sledges along the road this time. I counted 5 parents who clearly wish to kill their children but would rather someone else do it! rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes
snow report
easiski, rolling eyes Puzzled

Have you found your keys yet?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
easiski, great pics Very Happy I see you've managed to find the ice caves for everyone else since we were there NehNeh Oh well, we'll just have to come back snowHead
snow report
R32, No. Had to break in! Sad

fine this morning - looking forward to a bit of pow this morning. Will report later! Very Happy
latest report
easiski, lovely pictures and the graphics on the van look cool Cool
latest report
Richard E, bet she misses the duck tape on the mirrors, now that it's had its MOT, though. Made her look real mountain woman Madeye-Smiley
snow report
Looking good,

I'll be in Les 2 alpes next week Very Happy
snow conditions
Truly fantastic snow today. Blue skies, quite chilly on the whole and very light powder. I did Posettes in the trees with the guys this morning - they fell a lot, but 'got it' in the end. Very Happy snow to the knees easily. Later I was on the pistes which were (naturally) by afternoon very bumpy. Lots of tracks everywhere. I'm afraid there's no photo cos the battery died on my (too cold). I promise to do better tomorrow.
latest report
Thanks for continued updates,
No need to apologies for lack of photos, these are just a bonus.

I've often found cameras just stop on cold days, Crying or Very sad
the only method I have to date to try to avoid this, is to store the camera in an inside pocket and make sure not to leave it out for too long.
ski holidays
Llew, I agree; got to keep the battery warm somehow.....will find out in three days' time how well my camera works in the cold..... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
Llew, dobby, Yes - I have it in the phone pocket, but it's been dodgy for a couple of days (whip it out quick, take the pic and pop it back). My fault for not changing the batts in time for a fab day.

today was a real mix. It started out thoroughly miserable and then the sun came out late morning and nearly blinded me in my bad light goggles! Shocked However it was very warm, and the lower snow has got really cement-like. Soft spring below the Cretes and Posettes skiable but heavy. Below that though there was just thick sog with a slight crust - delightful! It's still warm and the snow on the roof of the house is melting (even now). Oh well - we'll see what tomorrow brings.

2 photos today, the first is an odd effect of low cloud as a solid mass with some light below it (looking towards Auris), and the second is looking back up Posettes at the Petite Aiguille end. The third leg of the run in the foreground is much less steep than the first two. Very Happy
ski holidays
Easiski

How was it today? LDA weather webpage says that it was +5C at resort level.....slushtastic......
ski holidays
dobby, It was crispy in the village in the morning, but not icy. At the Cretes the snow was ab fab. It was a nasty cold NE wind, but very sunny. However the wind did stop you feeling warm. I skied down the Demoiselles and then Valentin. Both were fine. +5 is not bad actually, but it would be better if it stayed at 0!! Very hot and sunny at home (I finished early), and I got to dig Scorpy out from his snowdrift (joy). Laughing I forgot to take a photo again (too 'into' what I was doing with my students I'm afraid).

Very windy up top and it must have been brassic. We could see snow being blown off the tops. Sad
latest report
Easiski

Thanks for the update. Looks like more of the same tomorrow (if the weather forecast is correct).

Dobby
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy