Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les 2 Alpes - Winter 2007/8

Poster: A snowHead
I am skiing LDA at half term (10-16 February). I know that it will be busy. Which of the blues/reds are likely to be quieter? The ones on Pied Moutet side? Or on the "main" mountain?

Cheers

Dobby

PS keep the pictures coming.....far better than rainy Cardiff
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Pwarner, Welcome to snowheads

R32, Yes - it would have been the pipe at the Toura, but wasn't that last year???

Dave Horsley, Doesn't look very likely to be icy really. Little bits from the warm weather, but it keeps snowing on top of it. Shocked

dobby, It will really depend on the weather. When it's sunny stay low in the morning while everyone goes high, and then go up later when they all start to come down! There's always lots of room on the glacier, but look at the piste map very carefully for routes down from the glacier later - the Jandri run gets horribly crowded. If in doubt get my phone number either from my website or from a flier at the tourist office, and I'll go through them with you.

eng_ch, That it actually exactly what it feels like - talking to yourself! Just now I nearly forgot to post a report because I've had peeps round to eat and other things to organise etc, and just suddenly thought " oh - forgot to post snow report" ....

It was very nasty this morning, and just getting to the Cretes involved a fairly drawn out marathon as the red eggs were off, the white eggs were off and therefore I had to walk up (well I hitched with a neighbour but as they hadn't ploughed my road I was going to walk), go up the Grand viking, ski over to the Coolidge Sud, go up that, ski over to the Lutins, go up that and then ski over to the Belle Etoile chairlift. It was thick fog at the top so I struck off towards the little poma only to find it wasn't running. I was preparing to walk up it when the guy running it came out and started it just for me to go up - it's nice to have friends! Very Happy We were a bit slow getting under way due to the howling gale and sideways snow, but did eventually and actually had a pretty good morning. (One of my guys was the one in the pic yesterday). After this I met up with Aztec & Mr Aztec but herself wasn't too well, so Mr & I went off in yet more horrible weather to do some stuff. Would you believe that it cleared for a few minutes while we were chatting and then came in bad again just for the lesson?? rolling eyes coming down l'Y was interesting in totally fog and flat light. Almost as soon as we got down it started to clear again. In the afternoon it actually got quite sunny, but I was back at home then. rolling eyes

Should be good tomorrow and Thurs - now planning on LG again on Thurs. Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
easiski, Yes thought it was.....only saw it for 5 seconds when I passed the TV!!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Clear this morning. Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
easiski, Do any of the mountain restaurants cater for fondue nights with a touchlit decent after? I've done this at other resorts and its a great laugh. Also do you know how long it takes to get to L'Alpe D'Heuz via bus if i fancy a day away skiing?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Pwarner, None of the mountain restaurants (it would be too dangerous to come down on skis here I think), however I believe there is a night you can go to the resto at the top of the red eggs and come back by cable car. You can also go to the Moliere restaurant below the town int he woods for fondue nights. On full moon nights there is a descent plein lune from the top with a meal at the resto at 3,200m, but only on those nights (so you can see). ADH by regular bus takes about an hour or so, but by helicpoter takes about 5 mins. It's really good value by heli, but you have to book early as they only do limited trips and fill up early. Hope this helps.

Lovely day today, but it was foggy outside mine this morning. First photo shows why! Lovely sun on the Cretes though, but still quite windy higher up. The snow is nice, but Rachas looked very windblown. Lots of peeps skiing the SW wall of the Fee this morning and looked good from a distance. The sun's come out down our end now. Hopefully everything will work for LG tomorrow. Very Happy

Saw this very loud suit today, combined with the hat, couldn't resist. Shocked
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
well off to LG again today. Lovely day, the wind dropped and the snow was pretty good. there was some serious windblown stuff and one or two spots which were quite difficult, but we took a different route to either friday or sunday, and this time I found it! Shocked The ice cave that is. However, there's so much snow you can't get in at the moment. Here's a photo of the Aztecs and the other 4 with us in front of it. Also 2 photos of the sun glinting off the pylons and cables. The second begins to give you an idea of scale if you've never been there. Very Happy
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
easiski, did you manage to get hold of the Missions this time?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
RachelQ, No - Bruno's not open in the mornings except at the weekends, and as the liaison should open soon I can't think why I'd go at the weekend again (when there's no discount). That was my one chance I reckon!! Sad
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
easiski, shame Sad
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
It's been nice again today, and I went up to the glacier with my novice skier. She did really well on fabulous snow. I'm amazed at how much more depth there is compared to when I was up there last (before the last big dump). I took a pic of the classic view with Mont Blanc in the distance from 3,400m. Afterwards I skied right down including the Valentin which is hard with some icy patches. If that's at just before 13.00 I wouldn't want to be skiing it at 16.30! Very Happy Otherwise very nice snow throughout, and not even any hard bits. Very Happy Very Happy It's warm down here this afternoon though. Confused
ski holidays
 brian
brian
Ice cave from last year... that's a mighty drift of snow there in your pic, Charlotte !

6 weeks to go Madeye-Smiley

snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
brian, Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Lovely day today, but very warm here at the apartment. Snow is melting off the roof like mad and I've got a window open. Shocked
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
easiski, very warm here too! Will but up your way tomorrow, taking pics of the boy in the park most of the day, keep your eyes open for me, wearing bright pink pants this year, you cant miss me! might see you up there
latest report
snowangel., I won't be up the mountain, but if you fancy a cuppa before you head off then by all means pop down. Phone number as before. (Saw your trews at Mondial!) Very Happy
snow conditions
Very Happy
Just arrived home after having a great time in 2Alpes for the last 11 days. Near perfect conditions....sun and snow! Mr AZTEC finally decided on some new skis and bought himself the MANTRA's....as he says ski's for big boys! Twisted Evil
Much advice taken from Easiski and Ski Extreme before the final purchase I might add..........and then a purchase made at the best shop in the village SKI EXTREME!
The highlights of the holiday were the Hidden Valley and La Grave which we did with EASISKI as detailed above...with our piccy too! It was great. The sights are just amazing and the views spectacular. Final run yesterday at 2pm was leY. the new MANTRA's held out for Mr AZTEC and i finally put to bed my nemesis of hard packed on my Scott Aztec's.
Off now to Colarado on 21st February for a first taste of stateside snow.
ski holidays
Aztec, easiski,

Where is the ice cave?
snow report
johnboy, About half way down the Vallons de la Meije! I crossed too late with Owen and then couldn't see it with Rachel & John Q (I think we skied over the left side of it looking up. It's certainly hard to spot this year. It seems to be a rogue bit of glacier that isn't attached to any of the rest of it - just a huge fold of ice in the middle of the valley. I took a super picture last year of the roof, checkout my gallery on SnowMediaZone. Very Happy
latest report
easiski, has your acte de vente happened yet? Hope so!
latest report
Hurtle, Yes - thank you for asking; at the end of December.

It's overcast today and the light looks very flat, but it doesn't (at the moment) look as though it's going to snow.
snow conditions
easiski, Hooray! (Sorry if I missed a relevant post.) Sunny and bright in London. So what? you ask yourself!
snow report
After a great week of off piste skiing in Val D'Isere I would like to do some in La Grave in a few weeks. I take it that snow conditions there are currently very good with good snow base? I might be staying at the SkiersLodge (which includes guiding)....I would greatly appreciate any feedback on them. Thanks.
latest report
We did a week with Skiers Lodge last year - was really excellent - the guides we had ranged from extremely competent to outstanding skiers. Hadn't snowed for a couple of weeks when we stayed, but they still found some powder and we got some really good spring skiing in. Did the usual complement of routes and couloirs in LG, plus a couple of days in LDA and ADH. I'd definitely go back to Skiers Lodge.
ski holidays
markymark, thanks for the thumbs up. Did you travel via Geneva....I understand that there is a bus link to Grenoble and then minibus to LG?
ski holidays
Most of us flew to Chambery and hired a car, but one of our party took the train to Grenoble and was picked up by minibus - seemed to work well. Skiers Lodge seem to recommend the train from Geneva to Grenoble.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
easiski, you picked the right day not to go up the mountain if you ask me! |While it is apparent that had the sun come out and it not been dull and cloudy, the pistes could have been really nice. But it was dull and cloudy and the pistes, generally, didn't have much snow on them as all the snow had been blown off by the wind rolling eyes Where there was still snow on piste it was nice. Worst thing was how busy it was, was like serre che in feb, not that fun but possibly as the top was closed due to the wind.
Still i rode for free so i can t complain. HOpefully the weather will be better tomorrow and soften up those icy patches.

Got some great shots in the park, but not much else!

if you are going to 2 alpes, use your free day in serre che and come ride some really decent conditions wink
ski holidays
snowangel., since there is well over 100cms pretty much everywhere I can't see where you found the lack of snow! I skied down on Friday and it was good all the way to Valentin which was hard with icy patches as I said. It has been very warm though, and I expect the lower slopes to get icier. I shall be doing some off piste and LG again on Tuesday and will report. Of course harder snow is less problem for skiers than for snowboarders!!! wink wink

snowman, I have been to LG 3 times in the last week and have reported each time about the conditions. See above! Geneva is not a good airport for this region, and I don't know about buses, but the general public transport between GRB and GVA are not good. Chambery or Grenoble St Geoirs are the best airports. Turin wouldn't be too awful either.

Although I didn't go up today, I saw this super effect from my balcony where the saddle between the mountains seems to have a ring of fire on it. The photo isn't quite as dramatic as the real thing, but you get the picture. Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
easiski, fabulous picture! (There was a really good sunset over Bromley, where I happened to be yesterday. Guess where I'd rather have been.)
snow conditions
Hurtle, Thanks - I just wish the camera did it justice though - 10x more spectacular in the flesh. Very Happy
snow conditions
easiski, yeh there might be 100cm all over but it didn't stop us having to slalom quite a lot of stones on many runs
, something your hardly having to do in Serre Che. Conditions are great compared to last year but As the weather was so crap it probably didn't help. As i said most of the snow was blown away by the sever wind, which closed the top of the resort. Where there was still snow it was great.
When the sun comes out again it will be lovely. Quite frankly i was totally unimpressed with the conditions.

Compared to Serre che, well there isn't a comparison in my eyes, but i didn't ride there today! Very Happy
snow report
snowangel., Not having been up the mountain I couldn't say. As it was a day off yesterday I didn't pay much attention to the wind - but it was very high early last week. OTOH the conditions on the glacier were brilliant on Friday, so I'm not sure. Where were the stones? It's good to be able to warn peeps away from those areas.
snow report
Thanks for all the news and updates.
Still counting down to our hols. 8 more weeks to go........

Can someone please answer which direction the run "Cretes" goes as the on-line map isn't clear. Puzzled
To or from the top of Diable?
http://www.2alpes.com/templates/1/documents/panoramique.pdf?size=1224499

I'm already looking how to avoid the Cretes area as reports suggest it is often busy.

Thanks,
Llew
latest report
Llew, from the top of Diable.
latest report
Llew, No need to avoid Les Cretes at all.... in fact you will go there many times unles you are 'expert' skiers ...
snow conditions
Llew, The green run on the Cretes is super as it's fenced off to stop the loonies! The blue can be crowded at the beginning of the day, but either way it's difficult to actually avoid it altogether. Very Happy

It was warm and sunny again today, so it must have been nice higher up. they pisted furiously lower down last night, so I immagine that after about 11 the runs down to resort would have been OK, but can't say for sure as I was locked to the laptop all day! (Tax returns - ugh!)

Big day tomorrow with Achilles and his group - LG in the morning (better weather supposedly) and then this side in the pm - I shall be knackered! Shocked On Weds I'm heading back to the UK for 2 days, and although I'll try to do my emails I won't be around to post snow reports until next Sunday. Hopefully Lizzard or Mr Lizzard or Achilles will be able to keep you up to date. Very Happy
latest report
easiski, thanks for the posts, looks great out there Very Happy
ski holidays
easiski, snow is forecast here on Friday!
latest report
Hurtle, Here too! Very Happy (but that's too far ahead to be taken seriously).
snow report
Thanks bh1, Agenterre and easiski.

I read somewhere to avoid Les Cretes area as it can get busy, therefore was thinking of going around via Tete Moute Puzzled
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy