Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

edging

Poster: A snowHead
abc, I KNOW I do....

In fact I cannot imagine not working on evolving my skiing....

there seem to be plenty of folks that are very happy in their own personal ruts... which leaves me quite happy as the good instructors are easier for me to book Twisted Evil

I just cannot fathom why any attempt by those that are interested in learning to discuss technical stuff end up with people carrying on about how much it would ruin THEIR holiday to have a lesson or how much they HATE reading technical stuff.. etc etc... or blathering on about how they detest instructors from XYZ country/system

People do not run around the happy snaps saying "Oh crap you have an A Frame" or "Too much weight on inside ski" or "get your weight off your heels you tosser!" .... why the problem with posting TECHNICAL stuff in the TECHNICAL forum???

or is having a technical forum a big insider joke on those who think it is for technical discussion while the rest of the place look on chortling as they attempt to do so?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
fatbob wrote:
" Who is the best skier on the mountain? The one having the most fun."

Just where is this old saying from? I've never heard it except on these forums...

I could try to get a parallel by suggesting that if I throw a bunch of poor swimmers into an oz surf beach and do not explain rips ... then the best swimmers are those having the most fun.... right up until we have a multiple drowning!!! (yes it has happened and actually they were PLAYING on the edge of the water... half a family drowned in 1 hit...)
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
little tiger,

Sorry for going well off topic but the attitude to learning thing has been interesting for me. I do spend a lot of money on skiing but unfortunately for them (and me maybe rolling eyes ) very little ends up in instructors' pockets so maybe I should reconsider. I am interested in technical stuff and I think a lot of people are even if they don't post so stick at it.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Doh double post!

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Wed 16-05-07 23:13; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
fatbob wrote:
little tiger,

Sorry for going well off topic but the attitude to learning thing has been interesting for me. I do spend a lot of money on skiing but unfortunately for them (and me maybe rolling eyes ) very little ends up in instructors' pockets so maybe I should reconsider. I am interested in technical stuff and I think a lot of people are even if they don't post so stick at it.

yeah you are welcome to the discussion on learning etc...

i was more responding to abc's comment and the blather that usually follows any attempt at all.. check the first bunch of posts in this thread and the "hedging" thread SZK felt compelled to post in Bend ze Knees not long after...

I don't give a fig if folks don't want to learn... but it would be nice if they would feel less compelled to crap on those who do....

If you do go the lessons I'd suggest

a) Get as many suggested instructors/coaches as you can including what people like about them
b) remove from list those that the thing folks like would drive you nuts (like skiing on 1leg Wink )
c) IF POSSIBLE chat them up Wink - well not quite but try to talk to them and see if you would be interested
d) Discuss up front what you like/dislike about the lesson idea and want out of it
e) If the lesson does not appear to measure up send feedback back to those involved
f) PRACTICE....it takes many repetitions to entrench new moves... if you do not entrench them you will likely lose them again although they will be easier to get back

Lots of work for a lesson? Well I value my time and money so prefer to use it well...

Another thing is if you can isolate your learning style... the stuff that makes learning easy for you then TELL THEM... and more so try to find someone that can teach to you...

Having said that good instructors/coaches should be versatile enough to teach most folks... but some will be more FUN for you... why not preserve that by trying to find them...
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:
There is that american ex-racer is there not that has just taken up freestyle and is blowing them all away? His technical skills are just that much better...

I'm glad you mentioned that.

What many of the new schoolers and parks rats don't realise, is that many of the pioneers (eg: Mike Douglas etc.) all came from solid race backgrounds, with concrete skills and foundations.

Many of the jibbers of today simply can't make it look good, *because* they are missing those concrete skills, whether they be on a box, rail, or in the pipe. It plainly obvious to see in the park, those that have solid foundation skills, and those that have just bought twin tips and gone straight into the park without spending time on foundation skills.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
veeeight, post a checklist of foundation skills or refined skills and you'll start a 'who's an expert thread'.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
comprex,

just follow the link to the article.... it is part of a series on foundation skills at least 1 other article there... maybe 2 i think
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
comprex, Laughing
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
little tiger, I'm already signed onto the forum but that's just me.

The present issue is whether you or anyone else can finesse progressive discussion, ennumeration, clarification of skills on snowHead thereby adding value here. V8 managed it somewhat with the aforementioned Skiing Myth threads, but that's only because he was prepared to put in a ton of work for little feedback or reward, particularly reward that might advance his own skiing.

Pointing to discussion or information away from snowHead is not really fair to either the away forum (they deserve a chance to refute criticism) or to snowHead readers (we have to assume they are here because this is the atmosphere they enjoy).
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
fatbob wrote:
Now everyone can say to me " so if you don't want to learn at least sit at the back of the class quietly so as not to spoil it for everyone else" wink

You do have the great ability to get to the heart of the matter! Wink

While I count myself as one of those holiday skier who's enjoying skiing at MY plateau, whatever level that is, with too little urgency to get off of it. I do occasionally pick up a useful pointer or two by simply "sitting at the back of the class..." Blush So I do appreciate others like me "not to spoil it". Smile

Have we satisfy ourselves with the question of "whether"? Perhaps we might even be ready to move onto the discussion of "how" now? Smile
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

There is that american ex-racer is there not that has just taken up freestyle and is blowing them all away? His technical skills are just that much better...

Out of curiousity, who is that?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
element, the profile fits a few people including Shane McConkey and Daron Rahlves.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
petemillis wrote:
Quote:

veeeight, I'd be pleased to see your skiing myths posts bumped up again - it'll save me having to keep searching for 'em

Me too, particularly since I have singularly failed to master the search facility on here (it just took me for EVER to find Ray Zorro's instructions on posting smileys, which I had forgotten)! Whilst I don't understand everything I read - especially about the construction of skis, as I am of such a non-scientific bent - I feel I might be able to learn something if I read carefully the advice about what I should actually do with the skis/my body. And I think that one always has more fun when one is doing something well and not struggling/doing it badly. So, as someone said, please bring 'em on veeeight, that would be great. I know I'd learn more with real live instructors during weeks in the snow, but since I'm earning peanuts currently, that's not really an option.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
comprex wrote:
element, the profile fits a few people including Shane McConkey and Daron Rahlves.

Tanner Hall, poster boy for the gangsta pants steeze ski generation was on the junior US mogul team IIRC. I'd bet scratch the surface and most big freestyle/freeski names have some similar sort of background or a dad who was an olympic medallist/ski school director etc etc.
latest report
Hurtle wrote:
Whilst I don't understand everything I read - especially about the construction of skis, as I am of such a non-scientific bent - I feel I might be able to learn something if I read carefully the advice about what I should actually do with the skis/my body.

I think part of the issue may be that of involvement by the original poster. I sense, and I may be wrong about this, a fair bit of 'I'll just sit back and read' philosophy by questioners.

If one doesn't paraphrase or restate what they have learned though reading, how is it different from just sitting back and watching an instructor without allowing the instructor to see them perform the task?

I think that the threads that stay on topic are the ones in which there is active on-topic dialogue between learner and teacher or knowledge sharers. Don't sit back, get involved, and it will stay on-topic.
snow report
comprex, What are you saying? That we should ask questions about what we read, and the experts on this forum will provide answers? Unfortunately, I don't always understand everything that the experts post on here about technique, the language seems extremely technical sometimes. I'm reasonably body-aware (because I do a lot of Pilates) but, for instance, some of the stuff that I've been reading about ankles has me really struggling, I can't make out how ankles can actually do what is being described! And, if one is learning in a 'virtual' way, one can't replicate the sensations or the effect that one's particular skis and boots have on the whole scenario. But I'm certainly willing to try and learn if the experts on here are generous enough to be willing to teach. I guess I feel a bit daunted, though. Perhaps I should just shut up and go away. (But it's occurred to me that I don't want to go the way I did with my piano playing: I reached a very acceptable standard - advanced intermediate on piste, you might say, just where my skiing is - and because I was finding it so hard to hoik myself up to the next level, and my tastes were meanwhile far out-running my abilities, I just gave up altogether and haven't touched the piano in years. Don't want to do that with skiing.) Ugh, stop wittering, woman. I'll get my coat. Embarassed
snow report
Hurtle,

re the ankles thing...can you sense making "tension" in the main arch of your foot? This is what happens when you pronate... you tension that arch to prepare it to weight load and then weight load it... shifting weight from being evenly distrubuted between the ball of foot near the base of large toe and the smaller area near the base of small toe and the heel... this means you carry weight more along that large arch on the inside edeg of your foot and also more on the ball of that foot... This is what happens as your foot walks naturally... it PRONATES to help with weight bearing and pressure.. and SUPINATES to allow the foot to lift and travel through....

Anyway... when i transfer weight from being STANDING EQUALLY on both feet to standing on ONE foot I feel that arch tension in order to prepare me to take the weight shift onto that foot...

Pronation also has some rotation of the long bones in your thigh... which helps to drive the ski edge into the snow as does the weight shift... This is what I feel when I do the "ankle" stuff on snow... I "roll my ankle" which involves pronation of foot... (actually doing an ILE I simply extend that leg a tad and the rest just happens)
snow report
little tiger, Interesting, thank you.
ski holidays
Hurtle, re the ankles thing. It's not you, many many many many (including lots of instructors) folk are completely unaware of the importance of the providing mobility in this joint, even though it's inside a stiff ski boot.

Yes, you can edge with a locked up ankle joint (by using your knees and hip) but ultimately you cannot initiate nor finesse your edging without "rolling" your ankle.

Watch (and I hesitate to mention this) someone doing tai-chi. Particularly when they are on one leg, and notice which muscles and bones they are using to stay in good balance. It's all in the foot, and ankle.

Many recreational skiers edge by moving their hip to the inside, which puts them into a "locked" position. Racers move to the inside from the ski up - ankles, knees, and finally hips.
snow report
I really enjoy just rolling the ankles when on flat pistes (especially narrow ones). Once you get the hang of it the amount that the ski turns is quite amazing. I find it helps one appreciate the imortance of edging the ski and the mechanics involved
latest report
Wahey! Rollerblade turns!! Good on you, Fts. Not enough people do this! By repeatedly doing this you will train the ankle in the axis of movement, and it isn't one we necessarily use from day to day.

Bit like rotating the femur in the hip socket NehNeh

My gawd. Are we *actually* back on topic?? Shocked
snow conditions
Hurtle, If you ask the specific question, I'm sure we'll all try to help. I guarantee you won't get any technobabble from me - ever. I'm totally unscientific too. Madeye-Smiley

fatbob, you are cheating somewhat, because (if I understand right) you already ski at a much higher level than most Snowheads. However, no instructor in their right mind would ask you to do one legged skiing on a knee without ACLs - but you would have to tell them! It's surprising how many people don't tell us about affective injuries.

veeeight, "snuggle and squeeze" into the tongues of your boots! Very true, and the lack of ankle up angulation caused me to ski disgracefuly at the EOSB resulting in a time that certainly wasn't worth the excrutiating pain I knew would (and did) result from running gates ........ damn ........... I knew there was a reason I don't do that anymore! rolling eyes Yes - bring back the "Skiing Myths" - excellent stuff.

Basic skills: balanced position on the skis, lack of rotation, use of the ski's shape, understanding of the basic techniques. Right everyone - add to this.
ski holidays
easiski, Yes fair cop although I don't consider my standard that high compared to many people I see/ski with and a number of snowheads I have skied with in the past year. I have however, as an adult hacked my skills together with the help of very little professional input so just as I am curious as to the impact a properly fitted hi-performance boot might have on my skiing I'm curious as to the amount of incremental benefit I might get from a few probably private lessons with the right instructor. Apologies to anyone to whom this curiosity comes across as negative.

I vote for an expanding skiing myths topic list:

How about "Breakable crust is never fun"?
latest report
fatbob, Interesting! the point in vis a vis your "fun" point, is that inevitably a decent skier will be able to have more fun than a mediocre one. there are more places to go, more types of turns to make and so on. that was basically my point.

As you say, you're largely self taught, and so are JT and Lampbus, but you guys are in the minority of people for whom watching others works. Most people can't tell who they should be watching anyway (that one with the legs glued together doing a sort of breastroke down the mountain), and are not good at putting vision into action. I think anyone who can do this is very fortunate!
snow conditions
Personal opinion - Self taught skiers are, I find, the hardest to get to change their skiing. They also tend to be the ones that get the most frustrated at a higher level when they decide that what they are doing isn't working for them in some terrain.
latest report
How I try and do things.....and I watch all sorts of skiers to get references.

I try and get a basic good position... and sometimes I have to 'groove' this back in as you can lose it from time to time. I am currently not too happy with my stance, but I am aware enough that it needs attention.. I then try to keep that shape to get the skis to work underneath me. I don't try and roll this or pivot that, I just think that I need to get the ski over on its edge more and let my body put itself in that frame, all the while hoping/trusting that my basic body shape is in a good enough position to allow this to happen.

I am inclined to think my efforts are a bit too energy intensive as its all about hips and knees for me...the ankles allow. I am looking for a way to do tighter wiggles that initiate from the ankles. I am thinking ultra tight trees here.... Laughing snowHead as per Francios..!!
To me, bend the knees or flex the ankles achieves the same thing..as long as you know what goes on after that..
snow conditions
easiski,
Quote:

Hurtle, If you ask the specific question, I'm sure we'll all try to help. I guarantee you won't get any technobabble from me - ever. I'm totally unscientific too.

Thank you! As it happens, I am seriously thinking of going a step further than getting your advice online and coming to Les Deux Alpes to get your tuition in person! Got to do a bit of saving up first, 2007 will have been an incredibly expensive year for holidays. How enjoyable or demoralising do you find it having to identify and then undo pupils' bad habits? I think that's always a problem with adult learners in any skills (certainly musical instrument playing, for instance) and some teachers are better at/enjoy dealing with those adult learners and their already acquired bad habits more than others. I fear I have loads of bad habits Sad
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

bend the knees or flex the ankles achieves the same thing

aaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Confused (Not the Blizzard of)
ski holidays
veeeight wrote:
Quote:

aaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Confused

Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
veeeight, but isn't it all down to each person (and possibly their instructor) finding the mental triggers that work for them? The triggers don't necessarily have to be accurately descriptive so long as they induce the correct/effective movement?
snow report
eng_ch, Yes, provided it's just a trigger.

In the case of there being no difference between bending the knees or flexing the ankle, well, those two things have completely different outcomes.
snow report
veeeight wrote:
In the case of there being no difference between bending the knees or flexing the ankle, well, those two things have completely different outcomes.

Which I think is what JT was alluding to in the second part of his sentence that you ignored?
ski holidays
I didn't ignore it as there is no way in this world that it achieves the same thing, even if you know what goes on after that. Perhaps you'd like to enlighten me?
snow report
veeeight, no need for enlightenment - I simply read that sentence as being JT's personal trigger, hecne my initial comment. Why, how did you read it?
latest report
Even if JT is using his way of thinking of this as some type of personal trigger, and even if it's working for him, it's a good point veeeight raises about the contrasting fore/aft balance roles of ankle and knee flexion. Flexing the akle forward moves weight forward. Flexing the knees moves weight back. Those who have trouble getting out of the back seat can sometimes find resolution with the simple suggestion to stand up (extend the knees).

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Thu 17-05-07 22:41; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Quote:
Why, how did you read it?

Quote:

Laughing
snow report
FastMan,
Quote:

Flexing the akle forward moves weight forward. Flexing the knees moves weight back. Those who have trouble getting out of the back seat can sometimes find resolution with the simple suggestion to stand up (extend the knees).
I can remember being told - and actually do this - to lean against the front of my boots to get my weight forward. Is this, essentially, the same thing?
ski holidays
Who do people automatically assume that bending the knees put you in a bad position. If you think bending means a kind of sitting then you are doing it wrong.
eng_ch is right and I know what position I want to get in.

You can drop the hips, bend the knees or flex the ankles and if you don't know what you are trying to achieve, you can be wrong in any of them.

These mantras can be useless on their own.
snow report
I am rapidly coming to the conclusion that getting virtual tuition here is a lost cause - for the simple reason that none of you folks can agree on anything! rolling eyes
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy