Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hokkaido options?

Poster: A snowHead
Looking for some advice please, ready to book something for next winter with the Brother in Law. Had settled on a 1 week mixed group package with Furano Snow Tours but not getting any response from them. The BiL, I’d describe as an intermediate skier with about 8-10 weeks on snow but little experience of powder. He’d be looking at staying on piste and venturing into a bit of side country to get some powder experience. With over 30 years snowboarding experience, I’d be looking at back country, etc. It’s likely to be a once in a lifetime trip so want to make the most of it for both of us which would mean separating for our time on the slopes and ideally joining groups matching our skill levels. The Furano Snow Tours option looked ideal but I’m wondering if the BiL’s lack of powder experience might be the reason for them not responding so thought it would be good to look at any other options.

Any ideas involving tour companies or otherwise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Chris
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Dates?
Budget?

Why Furano?

Quote:
The BiL, I’d describe as an intermediate skier with about 8-10 weeks on snow but little experience of powder.

Instruction rather than guiding may be more applicable for your BIL
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We were looking at Jan but can be flexible. Furano as the Furano Snow Tours package was / is attractive at about £1500 but flexible on location too. Thanks Mike
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
ChrisP3 wrote:
We were looking at Jan but can be flexible. Furano as the Furano Snow Tours package was / is attractive at about £1500 but flexible on location too. Thanks Mike

Does look an attractive price and package

You get to see the best of that area

January is prime powder month
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
www.powder-recon.com.au
Not Hokkaido but really excellent when I did the Tohoku tour (north of mainland Japan tour) a few years back.
They were v good at handling mixed groups (not always easy).
Flights cheaper than CTS as in to Tokyo too...

If you're set on Hokkaido, have a look at Fall-Line as various reviews of Furano/Tomamu/Niseko/Sahoro/Kokusai/Kiroro/Rusutsu etc.
And there are do Hokkaido by bus thing too.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks Wiigman, I had seen some option on Honshu, I think with Japan Powder Culture Tours but Hokkaido has been top of my bucket list for literally decades. Think I’d feel cheated if we opted for Honshu. Will have a look at Fall Line though to see if that generates any other ideas.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
How long can you go for?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Mike Pow wrote:
How long can you go for?
yep if you’re flying into Tokyo en route/return from Sapporo and have a couple of extra days it’s easy and not expensive to add in a couple of days in one of the rail accessed Honshu areas like Hakuba or Myoko, and they are quite different to Hokkaido so would make a nice contrast
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Planning for for a week riding/skiing and a week seeing Kyoto and Tokyo with the travel added on either end. Could possibly fit in a day or 2 one of the suggested areas, definitely worth considering.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I did a trip in 2020 and DIY'd it after some advice on here and speaking to a few others who've been. I found the DIY option quite simple and much better value than a tour company. Also has the advantage that you can book accommodation on the fly and go where the conditions dictate (although must admit, I was more than happy with the Yoichi base).

I did a trip review thread at the time. It's probably more accurate than my memory, but more than happy to answer any questions

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=3522732&highlight=snoody+pigeondave#3522732
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ChrisP3 wrote:
Planning for for a week riding/skiing and a week seeing Kyoto and Tokyo with the travel added on either end. Could possibly fit in a day or 2 one of the suggested areas, definitely worth considering.

Love the food in Tokyo, but in Winter if I had the choice, I’d trade days in Tokyo in order to visit Hakuba every time!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Great read @SnoodyMcFlude thanks. Sounds like you preferred Rusutsu out of the resorts you visited. We were initially planning to diy it but then saw the Snow Tours Furano package which seemed a good option. Might have to go back to considering diy perhaps looking at guiding options in whatever resort / resorts we choose.

I am now considering shortening planned time in Tokyo slightly BobinCH, would be good to get a little taste of a Honshu resort while we have chance.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Great read @SnoodyMcFlude thanks. Sounds like you preferred Rusutsu out of the resorts you visited. We were initially planning to diy it but then saw the Snow Tours Furano package which seemed a good option. Might have to go back to considering diy perhaps looking at guiding options in whatever resort / resorts we choose.

I am now considering shortening planned time in Tokyo slightly BobinCH, would be good to get a little taste of a Honshu resort while we have chance.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@ChrisP3, here’s a thread on Myoko and Hakuba from a couple of years back:
https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=151727

And this is Tanigawadake from earlier this year:
https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=163369
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@BobinCH, Looks awesome and reading some of the posts perhaps not as inferior snow conditions compared with Hokkaido as I’ve been led to believe, if at all.
ski holidays
Get the rail pass and you really can do it all. Tokyo to Morioka (see Powderhounds for resorts nearby), then up to Hokkaido for Sapporo resorts, then Niseko/Rusutsu/Furano etc...
latest report
wiigman wrote:
Get the rail pass and you really can do it all. Tokyo to Morioka (see Powderhounds for resorts nearby), then up to Hokkaido for Sapporo resorts, then Niseko/Rusutsu/Furano etc...

Definitely looks worth considering for £370 for 3 weeks. Was thinking of hiring kit out there rather than dragging a board bag / skis around the country. Is decent hire kit widely available?
snow report
@ChrisP3, the gear situation is mixed in my experience. As you'd expect excellent in Niseko/bigger places, almost zero in the smaller hills of Tohoku/Hokk.
snow conditions
ChrisP3 wrote:
wiigman wrote:

Definitely looks worth considering for £370 for 3 weeks. Was thinking of hiring kit out there rather than dragging a board bag / skis around the country. Is decent hire kit widely available?

If you are thinking rail/Tohoku region:
Geto - Perfect for two days, one night. Good, reasonable accomm at base and easy access via bullet/free bus. Lovely atmos, people, and snow. The best sort of capsule set-up I’ve ever stayed at.
Appi - We drove in; but easy bus from Morioka I'm told. Big, unlike lots here, and a good two days worth of pow.
Amahari Onsen - Super hotel at base. V Japanese, v good, less than 100 peeps on hill. Soul skiing. Perfect for two days.
Tazawako - super for the day.
Hakkoda - the big one, but you have to be lucky with weather, which means you may need Aomori Springs as a reserve. (Worth the risk, but IMHO not quite as good as all the hype.)
Shizu - again good for day, but not essential.
Zao - a bit European and busy for my tastes. But worth a day if you have time. Like a snow monster.

Forgive the typos, and tropes, regards,
ski holidays
Really helpful, thanks @wiigman,
snow conditions
Quote:

Was thinking of hiring kit out there rather than dragging a board bag / skis around the country.

This is not necessary. At the airport call at one of the takuhaibin delivery services and have them carry your luggage while you take a lightweight bag and go sight seeing. They are inexpensive and relaible. I've use Yamoto in the past.
ski holidays
Will look into that, thanks John.
snow report
johnE wrote:
Quote:

Was thinking of hiring kit out there rather than dragging a board bag / skis around the country.

This is not necessary. At the airport call at one of the takuhaibin delivery services and have them carry your luggage while you take a lightweight bag and go sight seeing. They are inexpensive and relaible. I've use Yamoto in the past.

It works well with luggage if you don't need it the next day. Probably less useful if you're resort hopping.
snow conditions
sugarmoma666 wrote:
johnE wrote:
Quote:

It works well with luggage if you don't need it the next day. Probably less useful if you're resort hopping.

My thought too.
latest report
If you're in Furano you can leave the BiL there and take a day to Asahidake. It's some of the most sublime skiing I've ever done. We organized a day trip via one of ski shops on the road just below the main car park. I think it was called Back Country rental. Anyway, we got picked up at our hotel and taken out to Asahidake and then back again at the end of the day. https://journeyintojapan.com/backcountry-rental-in-furano
ski holidays
@ChrisP3, have you decided o na tour? I will be joining Furano Snow Tour this coming January.
ski holidays
Hi @mooney058, yes, booked with them for w/c 14th Jan. what dates are you there?
snow report
@ChrisP3, will see you there then Smile
snowHead meet Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@mooney058, Fantastic! Counting down the days snowHead

We’ll also be in Sapporo for 2 nights from 12th if you’re around.
latest report
@ChrisP3, flying to Asahikawa, arriving late on 11th. Will try to hit local hills before heading to Ken’s.
snow conditions
Nice way to warm up, enjoy and see you in Furano!
snow report
@ChrisP3, see you in Furano!
Btw, do you know how/when are you getting to Furano from Sapporo? I assume by train? I will be dropping hire car close to Furano station on the same day and can time it so that Ken picks us up at the same time. Will probably drop my stuff at his place beforehand.
latest report
@mooney058, in Asahikawa on 11 and 12 Jan (maybe 13 Jan day also) if you fancy a ski/beer? x2 of us at OMO (new-ish skier-friendly place with a daily free bus to Kamui/Pippu/Asahidake) as we have no wheels...
snow report
@wiigman, 12/13 Jan for ski/beer! Arriving late on 11 Jan, will be in town/hotel past 22.00.
snow report
wiigman wrote:
@mooney058, in Asahikawa on 11 and 12 Jan (maybe 13 Jan day also) if you fancy a ski/beer? x2 of us at OMO (new-ish skier-friendly place with a daily free bus to Kamui/Pippu/Asahidake) as we have no wheels...

I will have wheels, reserved the smallest class, maybe we can fit. Should be OK if car is equipped with a ski rack. Drove yaris type of car with 188 long skis inside but that mandated folding some seats down. Will know early on the 12th what car and situation re ski rack.

Staying in JR Inn which I see is 950m away from OMO.
ski holidays
mooney058 wrote:
@ChrisP3, see you in Furano!
Btw, do you know how/when are you getting to Furano from Sapporo? I assume by train? I will be dropping hire car close to Furano station on the same day and can time it so that Ken picks us up at the same time. Will probably drop my stuff at his place beforehand.

@mooney058, sounds good. Will be either train or bus which also drops at the train station. Will post arrival time once we know.
latest report
mooney058 wrote:
wiigman wrote:

I will have wheels, reserved the smallest class, maybe we can fit. Should be OK if car is equipped with a ski rack. Drove yaris type of car with 188 long skis inside but that mandated folding some seats down. Will know early on the 12th what car and situation re ski rack.

Staying in JR Inn which I see is 950m away from OMO.

Jackpot re the 950m - about to send you a DM so I don't forget nearer the time. We're on a squeeze everything out of a rail pass trip, coming up from Honshu/Myoko, hence the no car. But we can always meet at a hill if you are in a small buggy. Or just go for a some food/beer in Asahikawa. Usefully, OMO promise an accurate forecast and local knowledge - we will see. But this should be handy as previously I've driven to Asahidake and then found the tram shut/not running due to high winds.
snow report
@wiigman, re Asahidake - staying the last couple of days at the end on Jan at a basic accommodation in Asahidake - keeping it for a desert Smile your experience makes me a bit worried, will go to church on Sunday and light a candle, possibly do a snow/no wind dance Smile

Keen on sharing local knowledge re the best conditions! As MikePow advocated previously will be mostly relying on snow-forecastdotcom but any insights would be much appreciated!

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Thu 23-11-23 10:04; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
mooney058 wrote:

Keen on sharing local knowledge re the best conditions! As MikePow advocated previously will be mostly relying on snow-forecastdotcom but any insights would be much appreciated!

I found this website useful for finding out how much snow had actually fallen vs the forecasts. There were big discrepancies!
https://www.snowjapan.com/japan-daily-snow-weather-reports
latest report
@@mooney058, I’ve suggested an arrival time at Furano station of 16:42 on the 14th to Ken. Waiting to hear back if this works for him or any other advice. Will let you know if it changes.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy