Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Japan on the search for powder - Myoko and Hakuba

Poster: A snowHead
A work trip to Tokyo in Feb, opened up the possibility of a few days bonus skiing at the end. So packed the gear, not really looking forward to hauling it through Singapore and Beijing before hitting Tokyo for the final leg. Corona virus put paid to the Beijing leg which meant an earlier arrival in Tokyo and a free weekend. I was thinking of going to Hokkaido at the end of the trip to meet up with some SnowHeads so was searching for somewhere closer to Tokyo for the weekend. I saw this picture of Hakuba from a Swiss IG connection which wet the appetite...

However cane across this site which threw up some massive snowfalls in a place called Myoko, in the next valley that I’d never heard of.

https://www.snowjapan.com/japan-daily-snow-weather-reports
A #Myoko search threw up these pics on Friday and the target was locked and loaded

It was my first time in Tokyo and it’s quite a place. I love Japanese food and that was certainly a highlight

Sushi chefs doing their thing

The result

Check out the spice spoon!

The toilets are also quite special!

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 21-02-20 11:53; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Does anyone go to Japan for the first time and not take a photo of the control panel for a toilet? Not judging, I've got photos of toilets from my first trip. I've also got videos and photos of other random everyday things, like the little sets of roadworks that spring up overnight and are gone by morning.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:
little sets of roadworks that spring up overnight and are gone by morning.

Puzzled
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Got the Friday evening Shinkansen (Bullet Train) from Tokyo to Nagano

18:40, platform 12, Car 10 seat 13B. They’re nothing of not precise!

Changed trains at Nagano to Myoko kogen
Arriving at 22:30 it was a DIY pot noodles dinner for 1 at the Myoko Ski Lodge!

Run by a lovely Aussie family the lodge was great

And even better was that the owner, Geoff, agreed to show me around the next day, along with Huw and Bryn, an Aussie father and son. With another 25cm of fresh overnight on top of the metre the night before the excitement levels were high!

After a couple of warm up laps we met up with another Aussie lodge manager, Tom, and toured up above the top lift. It would have looked like this if we could see!

Avi risk was 4 so time to dig a pit and check the stability

Felt pretty solid and sun popped out so skis on and time to ski!

And it was blower!

http://youtube.com/v/JRzzmHjAGuk
Bryn was pretty tasty on the drops!

http://youtube.com/v/Gd8jtxPLvMc
Room name was apt...

The Onsen was fantastic

As was dinner at the Shiro!

Snowing again as I left

That’ll be 85cm overnight Shocked

Plans to head to Seki Onsen or Madurao we’re shelved as apparently the roads were carnage so I returned to Akakura Kanko, 5 mins walk/ski from the lodge. Waiting for the lift to open...

Didn’t take long and of boy it was deep!

http://youtube.com/v/to-E7t48oxg
Basically you had to ski straight or ended up in a waist deep drift! After a couple of laps decided to hike up for steeper terrain. Hmmm where’s yesterday’s skin track? This will be interesting!

Do not fall over in this snow!

Made it up about 150m of altitude in 30 mins and that was enough!

Enough to open up a path into the steeper forest, which I lapped for the rest of the day. Never experienced face shots like it!

http://youtube.com/v/nw3422KYFQI
And there ended a pretty memorable first experience of Myoko. I’ll be back!

Back to Tokyo and a long day to get work done before the public holiday on Tuesday. Had booked a couple of days off and another IG post suggested Hakuba might be on.

Just made it to the last Shinkansen to Nagano and frantically searched for accommodation finding a cancellation at the Hakuba Lodge. Even the Swiss would be impressed by this order!

Cleaning crews at the ready!

After changing at the now familiar 1998 Olympic city of Nagano, got the bus this time to Happo One, one stop after Hakuba. Scene of the FWT first stop.

Hakuba House is another cracking Aussie run lodge. Simple but super friendly and again the owner Grant and his crew agreed to show me a few of their favourite spots on Tuesday

It sure was busy at the lift station!

Hotfooted it behind the boys off the top lift into a steep gully and all of a sudden we were alone in the Lazy bowl

http://youtube.com/v/KovuaSRMwFQ
Which ran all the way out along the river valley to the dam where they called the lodge to pick us up

http://youtube.com/v/IJUh1rCjznM
Back round again and this time we skinned up above the top lift higher up the same valley onto the slopes opposite the cat face - ridden by Jeremy Jones a few years back

The sun came out and it the descent was superb!

http://youtube.com/v/PYm6aUca1TI
All the way down

Although this time we were higher up the valley and needed to cross the river to get out. Let’s just say I picked the wrong stone to balance on!

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Wed 19-02-20 22:33; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Wow, impressive!!!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
The only negative - not enough sushi Smile
I am already planing (ie dreaming off) my next trip and with the impossibility to predict snow I will from now on plan the trip according to best onsens/reataurants. These left me with big smiles. And people are so lovely.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
With a Southern front on its way bringing soaring temps and rain forecast that evening the boys decided to have a crack at Mount Karamatsu, basically a 900m vertical ascent from the top lift. Let’s do it!

Start of the hike from the top of the Gratt Quad

Yesterday’s face

A Japanese guide stopped to say a prayer here

Their banter was better than the dress sense

Grant, the chief

Damn windy but made it to the top

Boys didn’t fancy the steep entrance in the game so we down climbed to the ridge

Out of the wind it was peachy. Guest privilege Very Happy

http://youtube.com/v/iAXZ6a-jiK8
Riley

http://youtube.com/v/UCTE0RAWGzQ
And then a 2000m descent down to the dam...

http://youtube.com/v/YMrwh43jDxw
Better route across the river this time!

Or just hop across like Grant...

http://youtube.com/v/LqksjDRdH2E
And there we have it

Evening Bus/train back to Tokyo and out on a midnight flight back to Switzerland. 4 days, 2 resorts, a lot of powder, a bit of sunshine, a mix of bamboo forests and high alpine. Loved every minute. There’s more to Japanese skiing than Hokkaido!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Score
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Mike Pow wrote:
Score

Have you skied around Myoko and Hakuba? The other place that looked good was Hakkoda but was difficult to get to from Tokyo. It’s amazing how many great places to ski there are in Japan!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@BobinCH, glad you had a great time!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@BobinCH, had 5 days in happo one a few years back and love it , the alpine added to a fresh snow fall is awesome !! How did the kastle /xenic combo cope in the deep
Great report got yearning for another trip to tokyo !!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Dabber wrote:
@BobinCH, had 5 days in happo one a few years back and love it , the alpine added to a fresh snow fall is awesome !! How did the kastle /xenic combo cope in the deep
Great report got yearning for another trip to tokyo !!

The Kastles and Zero-G’s were great. The Xenics broke Shocked
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
BobinCH wrote:
Mike Pow wrote:
Score

Have you skied around Myoko and Hakuba? The other place that looked good was Hakkoda but was difficult to get to from Tokyo. It’s amazing how many great places to ski there are in Japan!

Amazing - we went to Myoko for our honeymoon. Brings back happy memories. Saw 3 westerners all week (2013) : think it is slightly more cosmopolitan now. Literally didn't stop snowing for 5 days. Blower. Though just being in Japan itself was an adventure.

Seki Onsen was a super cool spot. One bucket chair lift / highest snowfall on Honshu / family run. Though loved all the small resorts. Myoko, Suignohara etc
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Haggis_Trap wrote:
BobinCH wrote:
Mike Pow wrote:
Score

Amazing - we went to Myoko for our honeymoon. Brings back happy memories. Saw 3 westerners all week (2013) : think it is slightly more cosmopolitan now. Literally didn't stop snowing for 5 days. Blower. Though just being in Japan itself was an adventure.

Seki Onsen was a super cool spot. One bucket chair lift / highest snowfall on Honshu / family run. Though loved all the small resorts. Myoko, Suignohara etc

Yep I didn’t even get to Seki Onsen, Madurao, the newly opened Lotte Arai... that area would definitely be worth a week. The snowfall stats are nuts. I think it’s the highest in all of Japan? Lots of Aussies now!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
A useful resource if you’ve not come across it already.

https://www.amazon.com/Snow-search-Japan-First-Last/dp/0954801431?tag=amz07b-21
snow report
snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
BobinCH wrote:
Mike Pow wrote:
Score

Just Hakuba.

3 days.

Happo-one, Tsugaiake, Iwatake.

Scored great powder. Loved it.
snow conditions
@BobinCH, simply stunning. Thank you for sharing. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
@BobinCH, the words lucky and illegitimate kid spring to mind Laughing

Especially so as the week before guides were evacuating to go to Hokkaido.
snow conditions
Great TR!

You were SO lucky with the snow conditions given your limited time, and lack of snow/abundance of warm weather and rain in Honshu this winter.

I skied at Lotte Arai on a deep day last year, which was fantastic. Definitely recommended if you return to the Myoko area. Madarao has great potential too but I've not managed to hit it on a powder day yet.
latest report
We really only had one deep face-shots galore day last week and then some other well above average for Europe days.

@KenX, had a day that he'll never forget, climbing Yotei and then skiing into the crater.

As ever Japan delivers not just in terms of snow but in the whole experience.

I'm now really in a quandary as to what to do next time around ?

I would like to go more off-grid.

Face-shot day, best day of the season according to the guide.

http://youtube.com/v/0S7F5pNYTX0

Cow Bell Ridge Furano Back-Country

http://youtube.com/v/Kwnr-r3b3I8
ski holidays
musehead wrote:
Great TR!

You were SO lucky with the snow conditions given your limited time, and lack of snow/abundance of warm weather and rain in Honshu this winter.

Aware that I was extremely lucky. Myoko was in poor shape before the 2m of snow arriving in 2 days. It is such a gamble. Living in CH its very difficult to justify a (non work related) trip. Happo One is the favourite of all the JP resorts I’ve experienced. The views and backcountry terrain options are stupendous. Would love to ride the « Cat face » Cool
snow report
Weathercam wrote:

Face-shot day, best day of the season according to the guide.

http://youtube.com/v/0S7F5pNYTX0

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
@Dabber,

Look closely and you should be able to spot the issue with the Xenic!

ski holidays
nozawaonsen wrote:
A useful resource if you’ve not come across it already.

https://www.amazon.com/Snow-search-Japan-First-Last/dp/0954801431?tag=amz07b-21

Great book (fellow Scot and friend Jamie Mackay on cover).

Japan is an incredible ski trip : though with moral dilemma that its not great for carbon foot print
snow conditions
Ok - that's pretty impressive.
snow report
@BobinCH, spotted that , shame they've let you down , its got me a bit worried as using them on a trip to Svalbard later this year and not much chance of fix if they break up there , will give some proper workouts before them to make sure , but defo looked like you sorted any backseating issues with those nice shims , hope you can get them warranted and sorted
ski holidays
@Dabber, mine were almost impossible to lock so must have had some fault which then resulted in the right one freezing and ne breaking the lever putting too much force on it. Sounds like you and @weathercam have susses it out so should be fine
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@BobinCH, That is the snow fall the Spoons were made for, pity you didn’t have them.
snow conditions
@BobinCH, That looks like a pukka trip. It reinforces the keep it flexible mantra.
snow conditions
PowderAdict wrote:
@BobinCH, That is the snow fall the Spoons were made for, pity you didn’t have them.

Hahaha you are so right!
snow conditions
rogg wrote:
@BobinCH, That looks like a pukka trip. It reinforces the keep it flexible mantra.

Agree but it’s much easier if you’re going solo and willing to chance it on accommodation, trains/buses, local tips etc. Not so much if you’re in a group, want a guide, don’t want to chance it with accommodation (which was in very short supply!) etc
snow conditions
@BobinCH,

Awesome pics and really great powder lines, thanks for sharing. snowHead
ski holidays
Myoko back in the news. That place gets some snow!!!
snow conditions
Lotte Arai not Myoko
ski holidays
Mike Pow wrote:
Lotte Arai not Myoko

Yes I can also read which resort it is. Think you’ll find it’s within the boundaries of Myoko city wink
snow report
BobinCH wrote:
Mike Pow wrote:
Lotte Arai not Myoko

Yes I can also read which resort it is. Think you’ll find it’s within the boundaries of Myoko city wink

Clutching there boy

Similar weather systems but Arai always gets more
ski holidays
Well the thread title was Myoko and Lotte Arai is only one of the many resorts in the Myoko area. I was simply bringing attention to the fact that the area has been pummeled again this year.

If we’re being pedantic, to my maths Seki Onsen seems to have the deepest cover of the resorts still reporting wink
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy