Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zillertal 2018/2019

Poster: A snowHead
@Bennyboy1,
Thanks. We’re heading south into Italy on the train right now.
We intend to get back to the Zillertal for a longer duration at some point. I think Mayrhofen would be the best spot to stay as it has Zell and Hochzillertal a few minutes on the train one way and Hintertux the other way if the snow is poor. Seems to be plenty going on in the town too.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Just woken up to a layer of snow in Mayrhofen town this AM. Still snowing Smile

First day on the mountain today. Thank you snow gods!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Good news. Arranged a last minute trip as Fri EJ flight to Innsbruck very reasonable. Never been before during winter but marked it down as a nice region during an autumn trip.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
What are transport links like from Innsbruck airport to say Kaltenbach
Is there a direct shuttle bus or is it a case of an airport shuttle to Innsbruck HBF and then train via Jenbach?

Thinking of a cheeky long weekend, early flight into Innsbruck and getting on the slopes for the afternoon. would go back via Munich as one can get a late flight out of there and a train from Jenbach to MUC isn’t too bad an option to get a pretty full day in on departure day.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@t4tomo, Bus from the airport to the Hauptbahnhof, train to Jenbach, then change for the train to Kaltenbach. Takes about 1.5hrs if the connections match. Look at www.oebb.at for trains and times.
Or, Four Seasons Travel www.tirol-taxi.at are an airport shuttle service.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
We have had 2 days of solid snow. Looks like a break in the weather today before the snow arrives again.

Conditions are fantastic!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks Sara J, sounds like shuttle may be quicker, if trying it maximise arrival day ski time,
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We had another big dump of snowfall yesterday. Lots of powder to be had. In some places the build up has been up to waist height (probably from wind blown snow) but generally boot deep in most areas above 1800m.

Today was v.cold with -10 at lunch time at the base of the Larchwald lift (think that’s 1600m). Freezing fog at altitude made it feel even colder and we all (adults and children) needed boot warmers today.

Tomorrow and Saturday it’s due to dump again! Anyone coming to Zillertal
over be next week or so will be very happy indeed.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hi! We'll arrive in Zell tomorrow (Saturday) and I was wondering if it will be possible to ski on Sunday...

After yet another snow dump due tomorrow, I'm afraid most slopes will be closed.

How does that work, in your experience? Is there an area that after a snow dump usually opens most slopes regardless - like Mayrhofen perhaps?

With all the snow that's due for next week, I'm starting to get scared we won't be able to ski much... Especially since we're more on-piste skiers, not really used to 30cm of powder below our skis (I realize it's something so many other people would die for!).

Thanks a lot for your help Smile
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@nobrainbcn, not sure honestly. Will depend on how much actually gets dumped. Maybe SaraJ would know.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
......it’s knee deep on piste this morning. Really chucking it down.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@nobrainbcn, looking at some of this mornings photos Austria has had a huge dump overnight that is forecast continue through the week.
I think your concerns are very real and it could be hard going.
My advice would be to get up early and get the pistes at their smoothest. Ski gentle slopes and ski the edges next to the trees.
Try and ski and turn as smoothly as possible, and why not have a lesson.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@nobrainbcn, Most of the lifts are open today, though the higher ones are closed, there are strong winds. The forecast is for a generally snowy week with some clearer patches. I suspect the biggest issue once the winds have died down (from Monday onwards) will be visibility make sure you have decent googles with low light lenses. The snow is likely to be very good tough 30 cm of powder on the pistes is unlikely. It does happen but not very often, it needs a big fall of snow after the pistes have been prepared overnight. If it happens give it a go, its great fun and the ideal way (even if impossible to plan for) to learn some powder skiing. In these sort of conditions there will be a big queue for the first lifts....
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It's snowing like crazy at the moment Toofy Grin
@nobrainbcn, The ski areas try and piste the main pistes but with so much snow falling they don't stay smooth for long.
I've just got back from the first Ski Friends session https://www.hochfuegenski.com/skigebiet/freeride/skifriends/ of the season. There's a ridiculous amount of snow in the transciever search field Shocked
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I just pinched this picture off Twitter. Shows much has fallen in recent days. Think this lift base is 1600m.

snow report
We're having a short respite from the snowfall at the moment. According to the weather forecast, today and tomorrow will be a bit less but the snow will start again at the weekend.
The road to Hochfügen has been closed all week. Hopefully it's going to open tomorrow.
There have been a few freeriding enquires - hopefully people will ski with their brains switched on. There's been so much snow, which, at the moment, is still untracked - but steep enough to move means, of course, higher avalanche risk.
snow report
nobrainbcn wrote:
With all the snow that's due for next week, I'm starting to get scared we won't be able to ski much... Especially since we're more on-piste skiers, not really used to 30cm of powder below our skis (I realize it's something so many other people would die for!).

Just get out there and enjoy it. You'll have the best time ever.
snow conditions
Amazing weather today. Sunshine, blue sky, great snow Very Happy Hochfügen road still closed though it's due to open tonight.
However, it clouded over in the afternoon and started snowing again around 4pm.
Hey ho! It was nice to see some scenery be briefly Razz
snow report
The last two weeks has been ridiculous for snow. Another storm due at start of this week but hopefully the sun comes out a bit more after that!
At least we can't say there's not enough snow.
Despite the bad weather, there's still been skiing available every day, just some more limited than others.
There were some massive disruptions last week with flights diverted to Munich and Friedrichschafen but weather is a bit clearer today so flights should be ok.
snow report
Thanks everyone for your advice! I did enjoy the week a lot after all, although I couldn't ski for two days. The snow was amazing, one of the best conditions I've ever experienced. I never do off-piste honestly, but the snow on-piste felt similar to that feeling. You saw a huge bump ahead of you and felt like perhaps you should have avoided it, but no... It was so soft you could just ski right through it Smile

Btw it was the first time I tried Hochzillertal and I think it's cool. Less people than Mayrhofen, which sort of annoyed me this time around, and a few nice slopes. I'd just avoid Zell am Ziller/Zillertal Arena if the conditions aren't good or if there's too much snow like now, because they just don't make any effort to open the slopes. I was there for a week and while all other areas managed to open most of the slopes at some point, including Hintertux, the link between Zell and Gerlos remained shamelessly closed all week. Zell is convenient, since it's halfway through Mayrhofen and Kaltenbach (Hochzillertal), but if they keep managing their slopes this way, I definitely won't be back.

Last but not least: best schnitzel ever at the Wedelhuette in Kaltenbach! The kalbschnitzel (veal) was expensive (21,90, as in most other places) but really worth a visit.

Enjoy next week, it's going to be epic! (I'm not leaving Austria either, just moving somewhere else)
snow report
@nobrainbcn, I also thought Mayrhofen was dangerously overcrowded this year. It’s very busy time of year but even the ski shop (Intersport) said it was a record week for ski servicing. The Larchwald queue was as long as ever. They have tried to relieve some of the pressure by turning the ski route off the black 12 run into a perm Red. This allows you to ski to the board park avoiding the Larchwald area.

Red 55 and Red 66 were dangerous. Not sure how they solve this.
snow conditions
It helps if people who can't actually navigate reds weren't on them
latest report
@MayrhofenMark, they would need to provide an alternative blue route to get people off the reds there.

On the map there is the Gpielkopflift which seems to be perm closed, but not sure where this goes or it’s original use. Any idea whst this was for?
snow report
im there next week . will only do mayrhofen one , maybe two days . too busy . prefer zell or kaltenbach . and the hintertaux is a must if the weasther is ok .
snow report
Kaltenbach is a must definitely. I think it's my favourite in the area.
snow report
Hochfügen road open again Very Happy
I was teaching in Kaltenbach today, which was a shame because apparently off piste in Hochfügen was great Toofy Grin
The snow came with high winds though... There are some faces that have been stripped bare.
snow report
forecast looking good for next week . looks like i will have a week of blue skies Pinky Blue
snow report
Hi Guys , thanks for the previous advice on ski hire. Looks like the cheapest is Luggi`s also called Green Room. I can get 4* intermediate+ of him for under 90E.

I have another local knowledge Q : what time can we get up the mountain ? I believe the website says first ascent 9:00 , this seems late ?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm sure I've been on the lift at 8.15/30 in the past at Easter, may be dependent on the time of year?
latest report
The main lifts...Penken / Hoberg / Ahorn all start turning at 8am, this is mainly to get staff and workers up the hill to access the other chairs which will open as soon as a liftie gets to them and does safety checks so technically 8.30 for full opening.

they will allow people on the access lifts from 8am.

if there has been a bit of fresh overnight, we often head up to the Ahornbhan and get the 8am lift with the staff and workers and ski the Abfarht run straight from the top completely untouched as you only need the access list to get full vertical.

the thing to remember is that the first ski bus in town is around 8am so if you want to be up there for opening then you have to walk to the lift
snow report
Forecast has turned to snow from Saturday on Bergfex. Out again in a little over a week. Excited for new snow.
snow report
Had 4 great days skiing in the Zillertal last week - at Spieljoch/Hochfuegen (drove between the two); Mayrhofen - Penken busy, Ahorn quiet; Hintertux (deserted - amazing); and Zillertal Arena (pretty quiet for a Sunday).

Snow conditions were generally excellent, with some powder/fresh tracks every day. Some runs at Penken were a bit worn/slick despite the fresh snow and the black run to the bottom at Zell am Ziller was shocking on the bottom section - very slick. On the final ski run of the hol, I broke my thumb on an innocuous slide on it - my ski flipped over and the edge whacked my thumb with full force. Currently in plaster for 4 weeks...

Still a great trip though - and preceded by 3 brilliant powder days at Niederau, Auffach and Alpbach (Ski Jewel).

We also had a fantastic night at the Iglu Hotel on the Ahorn, which was a brilliant experience:

- Sledging in the dark down to a nice mountain restaurant for dinner.
- After-dinner guided torchlit (ie flaming variety) walk to a bonfire with toasted marshmallows, schnapps and a view of Mayrhofen far below. It was a full moon and clear night so was amazing.
- Dinner and breakfast in nice (warm) mountain restaurant.
- Temp -9C outside and a relatively warm -1C in the Igloo room.
snow report
That black 10 home run at zell is a pro line...
It's a very good run if you like the challenge it was tough on Tues when I did it but I quite enjoyed it.
It's not recommended for beginner skiers for sure.
ski holidays
@mountainaddict, I have seen one of the bedrooms (the only one?) at the igloo.....sounds like it was fun!

Where was the to tobogganing? On the top of the Aborn or down towards the Weisenutte? I see that advertised too.
ski holidays
Just back from a week at Canazei and am now turning my attention to the Hof in March, I need to buy 10 Adult passes, does anyone know if there is any way to get a bulk purchase discount?
latest report
Any insights into the Pub / Club scene guys , we are generally 3 or 4 pints and early to bed . But we do maybe let our hair down once in the week. ( sometimes twice Blush )
What are the best nights to go out ? where are the best pubs / clubs ? We travel for the last week in February.

Also I want to charge up my " Saalbach " card from last year , I assume this is tried and tested technology ?

Cheers Guys , R.S.
ski holidays
Quote:
mountainaddict, I have seen one of the bedrooms (the only one?) at the igloo.....sounds like it was fun!
Where was the tobogganing? On the top of the Aborn or down towards the Weisenutte? I see that advertised too.
There are 14(!) rooms at the Iglu Hotel - sleeping 4 people in the normal rooms and 2 if you book the Romance Package (which included x2 small bottles of sparkling wine; a bit of rustic, heart-shaped, woody decoration; and a small bar of white chocolate each). The sledging was a short run - but good fun in the dark - from the Igloo Hotel at the top of the Ahorn skiing to the mountain restaurant where we had our evening meal (next to the top of the cable car). There were 13 people (6 groups) staying at the hotel.
Quote:
That black 10 home run at zell is a pro line... It's a very good run if you like the challenge it was tough on Tues when I did it but I quite enjoyed it. It's not recommended for beginner skiers for sure.
Good job I've been skiing 30+ years then (25-45 days a season these days) - otherwise I might have bust my neck, not just my thumb! Shocked As I mentioned, a very innocuous slide - and just a freak accident...One of those things rolling eyes
ski holidays
@JimboS, going to Zillertal with a big group this weekend. I will ask at the kiosk, but I haven’t heard of group discounts or seen it offered. Maybe worthy emailing the lift company?
ski holidays
@Red Slope, I may not be the best person to answer as I normally go with my family.

However for apres start on the mountain. Two main bars, both reasonable. Typical Austrian/German music. Remember lifts close 5pm ish

Once in town there are a couple of bars straight off the lift. I don’t like the ICE Bar (blue bar to left) but it is popular. We prefer the Brueck en Stadl which is about 50m up the hill to the right.

https://www.brueckenstadl.at

The Scotland Yard pub (down the other end of town) is best in my view for evening atmosphere where you are not looking for a huge party. They have regular live bands.

Mo’s also has some live bands.

There is at least one club (Areana?) but I haven’t been there so cannot comment.
snow conditions
@Bennyboy1, Let me know how you get on, I've also never seen any sign of a discount but this is the first time I've had to buy 10 lift passes.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy