Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zillertal 2018/2019

Poster: A snowHead
I couldn’t see a new Zillertal thread so thought I would kick it off.

Quite a bit of building work going on in the valley. I will post some links shortly.

First sign of winter has been and gone but feels like the new season is almost upon us 😁

There are many regulars on here that are much more knowledgeable than me and I am sure all will be happy to answer any questions Zillertal newbies might have.

Fingers crossed for a fantastic season!!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I’m heading there all the way from Australia so I’m hoping for snow. We’re there very early though so it may be machine made for us.
We’ll be in Kaltenbach over Christmas.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
New piste map for Mayrhofen includes new Moslbahn and new piste 16

snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
And diary of the construction here

https://www.mayrhofner-bergbahnen.com/en/mountain-experience-winter/activities/skiing/new-moeslbahn-in-winter-201819/
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@sbooker, a new lift and facilities at Kaltenbach. This forum has some construction photos and chat in German but google translate if you want to read.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
http://www.alpinforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26962&start=650
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@sbooker, how many days are you there for? Will you try the other areas in the valley?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
im there for a week in january . snowHead
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Plan to drop by Kaltenbach and/or Z-a-Z for one of the weekends in January. And maybe February. And maybe March too.

That self-serve restaurant in Kaltenbach certainly needed a bit of a refresh.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@andy, it seems the new resort owner (forget his name) is investing significantly.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Bennyboy1,
We’re there for just four days before moving on. I expect we’ll check out other areas if they’re open.
I hope not to have to catch the bus up to the glacier but that is our fall back.

We’ve spend a number of nervous early December’s checking out snow reports and webcams before heading to the US and Canada in previous years.
Europe seems to be much more geared up with snowmaking so we’re hoping the cool weather plays it’s part.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@sbooker, I was in the valley a couple of years a go in December when December natural snow was non existent. Luckily temperatures were ok so 90% of runs were open with man made stuff. They do a good job in Austria. I wouldn’t be too worried.

It’s certainly worth checking out the other resorts if you have time but Kaltenbach and Fügen is going to keep you busy for a while in any case. Zell is probably 10 mins up the valley, lifts are next to a highway but access to a huge ski area from there. If you like skiing a lot of km in one day then you might want to give it a go.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Some new pictures of the Moslbahn here
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
https://www.mayrhofner-bergbahnen.com/erlebnis-am-berg-winter/aktivitaeten/skifahren/neu-moeslbahn-ab-201819/
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We're up at Hintetux next week. Any ideas what it's like at the moment?
snow report
@hammerite, looks icy based on pictures from the weather outlook thread. Are you there yet? How does it ski?
latest report
@Bennyboy1, late reply, sorry! I skied this week from Sunday to Friday this week. My son was part of a race training group and some of the parents free skied. Sunday was awful, ice everywhere and just very hard going. They did a great job over night with no new snow, so Monday and Tuesday were much better, although you still needed to be wary of big ice patches.

We ended up not going up on Wednesday. My son’s coach went up early to check it out and said it wasn’t worth taking the group up. Too windy and almost zero visibility. A good amount of snow made conditions so much better on Thursday, however, all the t-bars and chairs were frozen solid. This meant no race lanes were available and everyone skiing the few pistes available, it was carnage. Friday everything was back to normal and the skiing was very good.

Interestingly, there were a huge number of French ski teams there who are finding it difficult to use glaciers back home. There was even a team from Les Deux Alpes.

Never been to the Zillertal before. Seriously considering returning when the area is fully open.
snow report
Good day at Hintertux today. Snow in good condition. Wind and bank holiday crowds meant there were areas where it had gone down to the ice, but very few. Conversely some of the soft wind blown snow was great fun to ski in.
snow conditions
@nozawaonsen, that's good to hear, I'll be out there in a few weeks' time. snowHead
ski holidays
@nozawaonsen, sounds great. Fingers crossed! Out in two weeks so hope for a dusting before then.
snow report
I am up at Hintertux this weekend. It was a cold bluebird day with actually very decent pistes. Crisp and not too much ice, the exception being those pistes which had been used for race training which were exceptionally icy!

This time last year all he runs around Somerberg and below the Tuxer Fernerhaus were open. Nothing yet. As we were getting the lift down they turned on some of the cannons on 2a and the beginner slope at Sommerberg.

I am hearing that they plan to start the Mayrhofen guns on Sunday or Monday but some concerns that it may warm up again.
snow report
snow canons running on the penken snowHead snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
ski holidays
I took this picture from the glacier looking towards Rastkogal. you can see the peak has almost no snow (2762m). The white blobs running left to right up towards the Horbergjoch are the snow cannons which mist have come on overnight. Any idea how many days it takes to cover the resort from scratch?
latest report

snow report
could just be testing them .
ski holidays
They've had/got them on on the Ahorn home run as well as up on the Penken side (from what I can see from Hippach way). Was definitely a lot cooler today tha it has been, and north facing slopes that didn't get any sun still looked to have frost on the ground this afternoon.
latest report
Um, where did all that snow come from? Saw the cannons on above Schneekar on Saturday but no natural snow. Now look at it.

https://www.bergfex.com/mayrhofen/webcams/c886/
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Ghost Dog, snow cannons going full bore, there are quite a few. Possibly a bit wind blown too.
latest report
There was a light dusting of snow when we drove down the valley yesterday morning. Probably no more than a couple of millimetres in the town itself but looked like a little bit more on the mountain but not much.
snow report
Now the wind has died down I can see that it is mostly machine made. Impressive coverage in so little time.
ski holidays
@Ghost Dog, I also have just been looking through the various webcams across the whole valley. Super impressive stuff. Amazing really. Mayrhofen side looks most impressive so far compared to Kaltenbach and Zell.

Weather forecast looks slightly better this morning than it did when I went to bed last night. At least the next week looks cold.

When will they open the pistes?
latest report
Hi Guys , where is the cheapest place to rent skis in Mayrhoffen ? we stay on the north side of town in the Hotel Garni Obermair.
We have 8 - 10 miserable guys from Ireland on a tight budget looking for a bargain without compromise on quality
Also is there any other threads that I might keep in touch with for local knowledge
Cheers
R . S .
ski holidays
@Red Slope, I would start by looking at AlpinResorts (discount code ALPISKI) and Snowbrainer (discount code snow10)
latest report
there was some snow falling yesterday as well as the canons .
latest report
NickyJ wrote:
@Red Slope, I would start by looking at AlpinResorts (discount code ALPISKI) and Snowbrainer (discount code snow10)

Looks like Snowbrainer is the same as Alpinresorts now...has one bought the other out?? Puzzled
snow report
Red Slope wrote:
Hi Guys , where is the cheapest place to rent skis in Mayrhoffen ? we stay on the north side of town in the Hotel Garni Obermair.

I'm afraid I can't help you on the ski rental, I used to use Luggi's but I gather he has retired now, hopefully other sHs can make suggestions regarding hire shops.

However I have stayed several times at the Garni Obermair, it was quite a few years back now but if it's not changed you'll find that they do a very good buffet breakfast, and it's nice that they have a small indoor pool. Smile

Red Slope wrote:
Also is there any other threads that I might keep in touch with for local knowledge
Cheers
R . S .

As the Garni Obermair is a B&B you'll be eating out for your evening meal. If you're going with a Tour Operator and paying extra for Half Board then they usually arrange for you to take your evening meal in the nearby Neuhaus, however if you're just on B&B and wanting to try different eating places here's a link to a thread with more links to threads discussing restaurants in Mayrhofen: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2350196&highlight=mayrhofen+restaurants#2350196
ski holidays
http://www.rentforfun.eu across the road (literally 10 seconds walk) from the main gondola do ski+boots deals from 60Euro for 6 days for beginners up to.... whatever you want to pay.
snow report
I've spent the last few days at Hintertux for the Freeheeler event Fri, Sat and Sun. Looks like some fresh snow is forecast for tomorrow (my last day). In the meantime here's some photos of Hintertux....

snow report

snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy