Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
durr, I forgot...
Or Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

French Speed cameras and Fines

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
@Whitegold, er....either I am missing humour by exaggeration or you are missing the real detail of Switzerland. Warnings are issued for quite significant exceeding of limits, but then large penalties do kick in. But the scene is much more tolerant than uk in fact - see

http://www.speedingeurope.com/switzerland/

Swiss love cars. They use them to get up and down the big hills. The speeding fine system is very Swiss: be a little careless and we will talk to you sternly. Flagrantly ignore the Law and it will hurt.

Seems quite fair to me.
ski holidays     
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
under a new name wrote:
@Ozboy, I’d work on the presumption that you will.

A chum got collared by the UK police for a Swiss fine. I believe there’s a UK-French info sharing agreement.

I've heard the UK Police collect these fines on a commercial basis for the Swiss Police. They have no legal basis for doing so and you can tell them to Foxtrot Oscar... but revisit Switzerland with great caution!
snow conditions     
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@bar shaker, interesting. The detectives (!) who appeared on his doorstep were somewhat sheepish about it all. But it was pay up or be arrested next time he flew in to Geneva. (Which is a frequent occurrence).
latest report     
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
valais2 wrote:
@Whitegold, er....either I am missing humour by exaggeration or you are missing the real detail of Switzerland. Warnings are issued for quite significant exceeding of limits, but then large penalties do kick in. But the scene is much more tolerant than uk in fact - see

When you get a speeding ticket there are at least 3 institutions that get involved - at canton, federal and the DoT from memory. For doing 30km/h over the 50km/h between two villages in Geneva (I'd wrongly assumed it was a 80km/h national limit) I received three fines, one based on my salary, totaling around 4000 euros. I also got a 1 month suspended prison sentence. If I'd had any other speeding or traffic offense within three years the sentence would have been activated - although I don't live in CH and as a French citizen I couldn't be extradited.

I suspect that is far more serious than the UK or France.
snow conditions     
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@davidof, ouch ...

Indeed the penalties ramp up when doing roughly 20-30 kph above the limit - I think the point I was making was small errors = fewer penalties than England, big errors = much bigger penalties, which I think your case indeed regrettably shows...
latest report     
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@davidof, wow.. Just as well I had my cruise control set at 130kph in a 120kph zone. In any case i will go slower next time! I knew I was driving over the assumed they had a greater leeway c. 10%.

We will see what comes in the mail in the next month or so - I fully intend to pay as I will regularly enter Swiss to and from Chatel. I will update in due course.
ski holidays     
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
valais2 wrote:
@davidof, ouch ...

Indeed the penalties ramp up when doing roughly 20-30 kph above the limit - I think the point I was making was small errors = fewer penalties than England, big errors = much bigger penalties, which I think your case indeed regrettably shows...

Yes they certainly do ramp up. I have the papers somewhere with all the details but it ended up being quite complicated to pay all the fines! It was my own fault, I assumed the speed limit was 80kph between the villages and there was a speed camera which was working for once. In fact the limit was 50kph and there was never a de-restricted sign. My bad and fair enough. I think the reason for this was a footpath on the side of the road and a school in one village so I assume children could be on the path at times (although not when I was driving).

So watch out in CH and keep an eye on those traffic signs. I normally cycled to work and took a different route by bike. I drive like a snail when I'm over the border now - I went through Livigno with the cruise control the other day.

@ozboy
I guess for a GB car in France you'd be ok if you didn't visit CH again... I have a French registered car. I also got a parking ticket once for touching one of the white lines in the car park (a company one but controlled by the city) - 40 CHF but with the admin charges to process it through France it was a lot more.
snow report     
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Also read somewhere that Macrons war on speeding, with privatised speed cameras that there are no margins as in the UK +10% etc however I have also read that where a speed limit over 90kph applies there is a 10% margin allowed.

Can anyone clarify?
snow conditions     
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@boredsurfin, don't know if there is any truth behind my thinking but I remember reading somewhere that there is a 10kph error margin on the autoroutes, I generally set cruise to 139kph
ski holidays     
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Don't really have much sympathy for those complaining about speeding. Seems obvious - don't speed.