Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

French Speed cameras and Fines

Poster: A snowHead
I hired a French car at Christmas and one of my speeding fines has just come through (the hire co tell me there are 2!) I was clocked at 95kph by a camera on the motorway at Chambery where the speed limit is 90kph. So I have just paid the 45e fine through the French Government website - very straight forward and in English!

Which begs the question, as I am driving in my own car in March and I know I have tripped one of those cameras before (there are several on the Chambery section on both sides of the road.)

Does anyone know for certain if DVLA are co-operating with the French Government and passing on UK ownership/driver details?

and before the obvious answer comes up yes I know if I don't speed I wont get fined. (I have a clean UK licence for the last 14 years, and 14 years ago it was SP30 - 39 in a 30!)
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It was supposed to come into force last May, but not heard of anyone receiving any fines yet. They can't put points on your licence, so it will remain clean.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The AA give the details of the 'law' from May 2017
https://www.theaa.com/european-breakdown-cover/driving-in-europe/driving-offence-abroad
and the Torygraph has a scare story
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/05/05/british-motorists-continent-face-640-speeding-fines-saturday/
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I was flashed ( Embarassed ) twice a couple of weeks ago - once on the outward journey (28th Jan) and again on the return (4th Feb) - as of yet not heard anything - but will report back if I do!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks Dippy @Dippy, please update this thread if you do hear anything.

I have just checked on PistonHeads forum and there are several people there who were flashed in the summer but haven't heard anything....
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I was flashed coming into the Swiss boarder from France. Apparently it was a 30km limit but I was doing more like 60km whilst trying to figure out which lane to get in. I’m awaiting the fine details through the hire company.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Roscoe, Yep, thats my second fine I'm waiting for from Christmas - exactly same circumstances as yours!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@boredsurfin, Laughing Laughing I said at the time that I bet it must get 100’s on a daily basis!!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
What is the actual fine?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Roscoe, Dont know yet, but my 95 in a 90 was a 45 Euro fine, Avis Budget charged me 70 Euro for passing my details to the Gendarmerie!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Roscoe wrote:
I was flashed coming into the Swiss boarder from France. Apparently it was a 30km limit but I was doing more like 60km whilst trying to figure out which lane to get in. I’m awaiting the fine details through the hire company.

Same happened to me about 3/4 years ago as I was focusing on the lanes at the border. I spent all my time at the airport working out how much the fine was likely to be and when it would drop (which continued for months once I arrived home) but after much fretting and sweating I heard nothing Puzzled . I was in a hire car as well.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
snowplowed wrote:
Roscoe wrote:

Same happened to me about 3/4 years ago as I was focusing on the lanes at the border. I spent all my time at the airport working out how much the fine was likely to be and when it would drop (which continued for months once I arrived home) but after much fretting and sweating I heard nothing Puzzled . I was in a hire car as well.

This gives me hope! Little Angel
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'm always (well, twice!) getting done in Chambery. I paid up. On the other hand I once received 3 speeding fines for the same journey from Zurich to Engleberg, which I completely ignored. I was a bit nervous flying into Switzerland for a while...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
iainm wrote:
I'm always (well, twice!) getting done in Chambery. I paid up. On the other hand I once received 3 speeding fines for the same journey from Zurich to Engleberg, which I completely ignored. I was a bit nervous flying into Switzerland for a while...

Brave, you know the Swiss would have put you in prison!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The Swiss just set a new world record fine...
ski holidays
My previous truck was flashed iro 50 times in CH, and a couple in France (CH upto Aug'17, but anything in Fr probably a few years ago), nothing ever came through. That truck went to the scrappers in November.

The new truck almost immediately got flashed approaching the CH/Fr border on the Fr side, thought I was bound to hear something, but nothing yet.

It might be a question of degree, ie they've never been 'silly speeds' just a bit over?
snow conditions
@midgetbiker, I think I was doing around 60km and its a 30km zone so assume that's quite a lot over.

With stories of some tickets never coming through, maybe this is not a speed camera that is "flashing" but a recognition camera? To take a data stamp of when a certain vehicle entered Switzerland??
ski holidays
@Roscoe, That one at Bardonnex (Swiss border) is definitely a speed camera.
It's because people coming hooning down the hill from Annecy at 110, or accelerating up the slip road from Cham at 90+.
It catches soooo many people.
When it was first installed about 8 years ago it was flashing so much I thought it was a strobe.
latest report
@WindOfChange, Oh well, all hope gone! Laughing
snow conditions
WindOfChange wrote:
@Roscoe, That one at Bardonnex (Swiss border) is definitely a speed camera.
It's because people coming hooning down the hill from Annecy at 110, or accelerating up the slip road from Cham at 90+.
It catches soooo many people.
When it was first installed about 8 years ago it was flashing so much I thought it was a strobe.

I think they are talking about the one that is on the left of the road, just before the last Km/h sign. The speed limit here is pretty low and it's definitely a speed camera.

I use a Tomtom religiously when driving in France, as they bleep when you approach a speed camera location and show if you are going too fast for the limit. Since doing so, I have avoided getting any more fines.
ski holidays
@boredsurfin, I was flashed twice on the way back from the PSB around Chambery in early December.

Not heard anything since.

I’d actually forgotten about it until I read this thread wink
snow report
@Roscoe, Got my Geneva border fine today from December 26th - €90 Sad

added to the €45 at Chambery that was an expensive trip to the airport!

@Gary Fat Fingers, sounds promising....

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Thu 15-02-18 15:33; edited 1 time in total
latest report
@boredsurfin, I'll expect something similar in about 6 weeks then! Sad
latest report
Roscoe wrote:
@boredsurfin, I'll expect something similar in about 6 weeks then! Sad

Its quite easy to pay on line with a credit card - the site is in English! The letter comes with a standing order form - cheeky beggars!
snow conditions
@boredsurfin, Was you in your own car? Mine was in a hire car so I'm hoping the hire company deal with it and just charge my card.
snow conditions
I got flashed in France at end of June last year (UK car) and haven't heard anything since.
latest report
Roscoe wrote:
@boredsurfin, Was you in your own car? Mine was in a hire car so I'm hoping the hire company deal with it and just charge my card.

Got flashed in France in a hire car in July. €45 fine came through in November which I had to pay myself via the Government website. Then 2 weeks ago I got a €35 charge from the hire company for passing my details on which they automatically took off my card.
latest report
@croiz, thanks! I’ll know what to expect.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Roscoe, yep hire car, got charged €70 by Avis Budget as an admin fee (for the two fines) which they charged to my card I guess its 35 per fine! Then 2 separate letters from French Government (one for each fine)to pay by various methods - the website is easiest I think.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Thu 15-02-18 17:30; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@boredsurfin, thanks
snow conditions
Just returned from alps and been flashed twice (Swiss and France) in my own GB car and wondering if I am likely to receive fines in the post?

First time. 130kph in 120kph speed zone on Swiss motorway near Lausanne (about a week ago)
Second time: 90kph in what I think was 70kph in France approaching Besancon from the south (car dashboard was indicating speed limit of 90kph)

Thanks
snow report
Ozboy wrote:
Second time: 90kph in what I think was 70kph in France approaching Besancon from the south (car dashboard was indicating speed limit of 90kph)

You sure this wasn't doing 90 in an 80 zone ?
snow report
@rjs, don’t know to be honest. The speed limit changes a lot on that stretch of the journey. The car’s speed limit detection system also thought it was 90 and I had cruise control set to that exact speed.

Have all 90kph zones been converted to 80kph regardless of road signs?
snow report
@Ozboy, only single lane ones, and those without a central reservation.
ski holidays
@Ozboy, I’d work on the presumption that you will.

A chum got collared by the UK police for a Swiss fine. I believe there’s a UK-French info sharing agreement.

The Lausanne road has I believe very narrow margins ? 4kph?

I know the Besancon road and it could easily be 70kph limit.
snow conditions
Still 90kmh here on those 3 lane roads, but only on the 2 lane side
snow report
The French fine will be peanuts, 40 euro or something, no points.
The Swiss one might sting a bit
snow conditions
Never drive in Switzerland.

They hate the car.

Speeding fines, minor or major, are insane.

Jail is not uncommon.
ski holidays
@Jonny996, 90 Euro on the French border see my post above
ski holidays
@boredsurfin, how time dilutes the pain Happy, cant remember it being as high as 90euro (same bloody camera as you), nice chaps I was skiing with all chipped in & split the cost
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy