Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

which wrist guards?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
@Loubylou, not really joking Embarassed I'm mostly held together with gaffa tape and 'Mechano'. I will be happy to run through basic falling drills if anyone wants.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
not sure if I should stick with my Dakine protectors or invest in something more substantial now im the proud recipient of a metal plate and 7 screws in my wrist Puzzled
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
TK Maxx has a lot of fly gloves on their website for £25-£35
mostly larger sizes, but may help.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Mr.Egg wrote:
TK Maxx has a lot of fly gloves on their website for £25-£35
mostly larger sizes, but may help.

Damn that is a bargain! Shame I'm a medium/small

https://www.tkmaxx.com/uk/en/men/activewear/snow+ski/snow+ski-accessories/black-fly-snowboard+ski-gloves/p/02012996
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Chiming in a tiny bit late... but I have some opposing points of view on this topic to wee wee you all off.

For one, I think it's important to distinguish between the causes of wrist injuries and the contexts in which they occur - claiming the wrist guards are definitely better or definitely worse is a fallacy. To be specific, wrist fractures are extremely common in the first few days of snowboarding, but the context they occur in is usually a minor fall from either stationary or very slow movement position, either by catching an edge or "sliding out". These falls, and injuries, are mostly preventable. They are slow enough and predictable enough to react correctly. On the opposite end of the spectrum, a pro sending on some over the top features and crashing with speed on ice, well, he just might be f'd. If it's bad, your ninja skills won't save you, and neither will a bit of plastic on your wrists.

Focusing on the former type of injury, I strongly believe that wearing wrist protectors leads to bad habits. In truth, if you're just starting out it might be better to wear them, for lack of other options - But if you can prepare, understand the cause of these common beginner injuries and their mechanics and practice practice practice to avoid them, you would be better off. It's not easy. As you advance however, get those wrist guards off 'yer hands and learn to rely on skill, not plastic. If you feel the need to put them back on when going big and gnarly, go ahead, but after you've proven (to yourself, I couldn't care less) that you actually do know how to fall correctly.

Now as for "correct" falling and preparation/practice, again only in the context of those slow falls forwards/backwards so common with beginners, the key is "look ma, no hands!". Your hands and head are the gentle parts, so tuck 'em in and roll. You can fall on knees and shoulders and elbows and butts without much damage other than to your pride, when landing on your hands/wrists would end your season. (Again, re-iterating for the millionth time, in this specific type of fall!!). Clamp up those fists like the snow just called your mother fat. Tuck in that chin, and go all armadillo on it.

Anecdotal: I wore both conventional guards and the Level gloves, they caused me lots of discomfort, but worse yet I've observed this very pattern in myself even as I was preaching it to others - knowing my wrists are theoretically protected (though in truth they are more like Schrodinger's wrists at that stage) got me falling on them, and hurting them, more. Once I switched the cursed Levels for regular 'ole gloves (because, frankly, I forgot my levels at the hotel 1.5 hours away Embarassed ) I suddenly found myself terrified of breaking my wrists, and subsequently, protecting them like a pair of golden eggs I just laid, which in turn has led to exactly 0 wrist-involved crashes in the 3-4 years since. TBH I fall on my head more often than my hands now, but that's topic for a different post... rolling eyes But my point is - don't get complacent and rely on external defenses, be acutely aware of the risks you are taking and act to mitigate them via practice and consciousness

(side note: if you have injured your wrists in the past as OP has, do wear protection. recurring fractures are bad, and happen more easily)

If you're talking about wrist injuries in the context of someone tomahawking 17 times down the Harakiri run at Mayrhofen, you've got some weird priorities, is all. snowHead
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy