Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

which wrist guards?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone, I broke my wrist when last boarding so have decided to use my brain and actually buy some wrist guards. A friend has recommended Protec. Has anybody used these? Does anyone have any others they would recommend? Ta muchly for your help wink
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm a big convert to the Level Gloves with integrated protection, it's far less rigid/bulky than normal wrist guards.

Does it protect better?

Impossible to say, but it does let you bend your wrists more than a normal wrist guard.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks @vjmehra, I'll have a look
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Loubylou, yay! Hope you've recovered ok for next season.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hi @Scarlet, I'm just thinking about heading to Milton Keynes to see if I'm still brave enough before committing to any bashes. Might try either the pre or end of season......see how it goes.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I've got some level fly gloves. Way better than separate gloves and guards.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If you are going to wear wrist guards ( + I never did) not a lot of point ingoing for less than Flexmeters.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
TBH, I just bought a cheap pair of skateboarding ones from Sports Direct.

They worked a treat, then I saw the light and I took up skiing Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
+1 for level gloves and mitts
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
thanks everybody, lots of helpful suggestions Confused I'll get googling all those mentioned
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
There is a lot of anecdotal 'evidence' around the subject, so I'd take the time to separate the wheat from the chaff.

Maybe dropping onto you knuckles rather than your fingertips might help most ...... n'est pas ......?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
BCjohnny wrote:
There is a lot of anecdotal 'evidence' around the subject, so I'd take the time to separate the wheat from the chaff.

Maybe dropping onto you knuckles rather than your fingertips might help most ...... n'est pas ......?

^ you got it. Fall right, don't rely on guards to save you. I got mine years back when I learnt, they've been in the kitbag ever since.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rogg wrote:

^ you got it. Fall right, don't rely on guards to save you. I got mine years back when I learnt, they've been in the kitbag ever since.

Is there really a right way to fall? I mean in retrospect you can't always know when you're going to take a tumble. Sometimes you can feel it and 'brace for impact' but alot of the times it just happens. I still wear my wrist guards though they are part of the level gloves and in cold weather I ride with mitts without guards. Theres something reassuring about having the wrist guards.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yes, there's a right way.

Say if you're on a dry slope, you probably don't want to fall with your fingers outstretched as that would be "the wrong way". The risk of that sort of damage is negligible for anyone who's familiar with plastic, yet quite high for beginners. The difference is not that experts fall less (although they do), it's that when they do, they do it right.

Or if you're doing inverted aerials over hard pack, then "the wrong way" is to land on your head, as irrespective of what you're wearing, you're heading for trouble.

I'd imagine that an automatic reaction to a fall is to try to break it... by sticking your arms out. With practice, you'll learn to fall and just ride on; your wrists have nothing to do with it.

Wrist guards didn't exist when the sport started, and by the time they arrived I really couldn't work out why people would worry about their wrists, of all things. I did look up the statistics though, and I think that day one/ day two learners may benefit from them statistically, although even then I suspect that people who fundamentally know how to fall would see little benefit.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I guess the wrist guards are a belt and braces approach, same as those who wear knee pads etc. Although I know the right way to fall, and managed to protect one arm, like you say: sometimes the shock of going over means all that flies out the window.
snow report
Gainz wrote:
Is there really a right way to fall?

Of course there is ...... if you get the chance.
snow conditions
BCjohnny wrote:
Gainz wrote:
Is there really a right way to fall?

Of course there is ...... if you get the chance.

There is definitely a right way to fall. Judo helps.
snow report
I fall pretty well, 99% of the time. If I'm up and running, hit a shark, catch an edge whatever I usually use the momentum, roll slide whatever and move on no problems. The only time I seem to have a problem is when I'm stationary and have no momentum, I've overbalanced once or twice while stationary and strapped in and slowly toppled. A real 'pratfall' and as I go I find myself sticking my hands out to catch myself. rolling eyes
snow conditions
Loubylou wrote:
Although I know the right way to fall,

So you know the 'right way to fall' but still broke your wrist?

I've been hearing this for years and have seen no evidence of it. Let's put this into perspective for a moment. A beginner has no idea what the 'right way to fall' is yet. Even if they were a judo expert. Its a different ball game and they would have no idea when an edge catch would occur. Auto reaction is stick out your arms so you don't smash your face. Consequence; broken or sprained wrist(s).

A more experienced rider doesn't catch an edge as much, positions their body better and can anticipate a fall better. Also they may roll with the fall using their back etc. I did this on a box but it happened so fast that I couldn't turn my shoulder around in time and whacked it on the box edge. Consequence; partial fracture of Coracoid Process. The irony is that if I'd had stuck my hand out the wrist guard would have taken the brunt of the force.

An expert rider rarely catches an edge and has the experience to read any given situation to minimise injury.

So when people say 'learn how to fall' yes it is possible but as a beginner through to an intermediate I'd recommend wrist guards. That's how I see it after 10 years of riding.
snow conditions
knowing how to do it is different from being able to do it and I never said I could. Considering you have no idea of the situation or context surely it's hard to judge whether that was a "right" or "wrong" fall- maybe I was about to break my neck if I hadn't landed the way I did. The point is my post is a polite request for assistance choosing guards not a berrating for falling over.
ski holidays
The right way to fall: don't try to break your fall by putting your hand down, but break it by bending your arms and holding them out in front of you so that you can fall onto your underarms. When falling backwards, bring your head to your chest and do the same thing. This is what we teach in Tirol. It's an illusion to think you can do so 'cause your reflex is probably different, but this is what you should do.

Also, wristguards are controversial because the skateboarding ones can actually cause you to break your wrist when falling onto them instead of prevent it. I would go for gloves that have them integrated (I have those myself) because those protectors do not fixate your wrist by going around them, which could cause them to break when falling onto them (my brother had that).

Also, even though you are an amazing snowboarder, you can still evaluate a situation or terrain wrongly and do something incredibly stupid and need them. I don't always wear them, but whenever I plan on doing challenging stuff, I put them on and in the 90+ days ive been on snow last winter, there have been several times where I've been incredibly thankful to have them on 'cause I did some weird stuff that didn't end well and my wrists felt like if I wouldn't have worn them, it could have been way worse. Also, experience does not necessary prevent injury. My "Ausbilder", who was a Bergführer, broke pretty much every bone in his body even though he is an awesome skiër/snowboarder. Also broke his hand in 5 places once because he put it down while there was bad sight. So yeah, definitely think those things are worth investing in Smile
ski holidays
Thanks @ET, very helpful. I'm going to head to some shops and try some on, but I think the integrated ones sound like a good idea.
latest report
@Loubylou, hey don't get me wrong I'm not criticising you. Sorry if it came out that way. The softer wrist guards are better as they dissipate the forces better, as are the integrated ones which is what I use too. There are always exceptions in everything so my post was a general rule of thumb. Good luck.
snow report
Thanks @Gainz, just need to get my confidence back really and a bit of support for a much weakened wrist. I've managed to get pretty far without ever breaking anything so it's a bit of a shock. Always thought it'd be a ruptured cruciate that got me Laughing
snow report
@Loubylou, another Level fly glove user here, they really are very good.
snow conditions
In order of importance .......

Warm clothes, board/boots/helmet/goggles/crash pants, lift ticket, tot of Baileys, smile ....... everything else is just an accessory .......
snow report
another Level Fly user here + I have the mitts.
They can be found heavily discounted on Amazon - so order a few & send back what dont fit!

I also got flexmeters - and they are fantastic with double protection. Better than my Level protection.
I just dont like the bulk!
ski holidays
another vote for level gloves and mitts with the built in Red (Burton) wrist protectors work well too
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The flex-meter wrist guards have been developed by a french doctor.
Give flexibility and protection.
They come in built in gloves , a single and double splint.
ski holidays
I did something to my wrist on a dry slope a few months ago, just had MRI and waiting for results but suspected torn ligament. All okay until I put pressure on it, for example to push myself up from the floor with hand flat. I think it was over extension. So I too am looking for guards.

I have a pair of wrist guards with top and bottom splints which work fine holding wrist in place. I've fallen since and it's been okay and I can put some weight on it. But they don't fit under gloves easily and are uncomfortable to wear all day.

Just received Level Halfpipe gloves (awesome glove, fits well, Gortex, etc...) and tried them on and they don't seem to be up to the job. I don't know if they will fair better in the field. I think they may stop you getting hurt in the first place but not so good for pre-existing injuries (but maybe specifically mine). Before I send them back does anyone have any more experience of them?
ski holidays
I broke my wrist wearing level fly gloves in a fairly innocuous fall. Velcro did not grip properly although this was some years ago and I have since bought a new pair which have more robust Velcro.

But I still choose to wear splint type protection on days when I expect to fall e.g. park etc. The level fly, even with functioning Velcro, does not appear to do much to limit over extension of the wrist. I suspect it is designed more to protect against hard impact on the heel of the hand rather than bending back of the fingers.
snow conditions
I've been wearing Dakine wrist guards for 20 years....and a few.

They are the only ones I've found I can get under my gloves easily, all the others seem way too big. I've tried gloves with the protection built in but never got on with them and they just don't feel as supportive so have gone back to the Dakine. They are even better with mitts (on super cold days) you can even get a hand warmer in there too.

I've never been into the "learn to fall correctly" way of thinking. Usually, if it's a fast one you are ar*e over t*t before you know what's happening let alone having time to pull every thing in and land correctly.
ski holidays
Same here on the wrist guards - had them on since I started and not had a problem. Did't wear them on a dry slope one time and gained a long term wrist injury.

Although I have not tried on the slope i have to agree with kerb here, in that the Level gloves do not appear limit over extension.

Just received a pair of Dainese D-impact 13 gloves and they immediately feel a lot more supportive than the Level's. Gloves aren't as nice, and more expensive, but they appear to do the job really well. Now to try them on the snow...
snow report
@Symson, friend had 3 pairs, super difficult to get in and out so once in, your in. after a few days they cracked through the middle. warranty pair done the same. he bought a pair off ebay and he still has those but now he's moved over to level fly's too.
snow report
Flexmeters, more expensive but worth the money. If you have anything too rigid on your wrists and you fall hard enough you end up breaking your arm further up where the guards are not protecting.
latest report
Flexmeters were the other option, more specifically Demon flexmeter gloves, but they looked on the bulky side and tbh I've always thought Demon stuff looked a bit shoddy (I'm sure it's perfectly good and well made, etc... just an irrational feeling!)

@snoway - have you got flexmeters? If so how do you get on with them?
ski holidays
@Symson, I don't have any but a friend has some after he badly broke his wrist in a bike accident. He has the ones that fit under his gloves and said they are comfortable and relatively easy to put on. He swears they have saved his wrists after a few bad wipeouts.
ski holidays
You've all been super helpful, thanks.
I bought some level fly gloves with the built in watchamedoos and went to MK for a lesson. Unfortunately (fortunately???) there was no falling over so they didn't get properly tested but they do feel very secure but they are a little bulky. I'm happy to say I've still got the boarding bug so I'm all booked for a UCPA trip in Jan and then potentially the EOSB. Now, do I need to employ someone to keep pushing me over so I can "learn to fall properly"? Puzzled Laughing
snow conditions
As the prat fall master, I guess I'll be running 'how not to f*yersenoop' classes at the eosb . . . and fer suitable remuneration I will exhibit many scars and the bits that are no longer where they should be Twisted Evil
latest report
Laughing
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy